Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 23, 2019 12:14 PM

Nov 2019
Basically, are you someone who's always had a complete disinterest, avoidance, or outright repulsion to the romantic aspects of a relationship.
The only time I said yes to being asked out, I felt like I was pressured into it socially. I managed to break things off after our first date. The drive to actually obtain a partner has never been there though. I've always been fine with remaining single.
So yeah, I'm aromantic.

How about you?
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Nov 23, 2019 12:28 PM

Sep 2016
I'm honestly the opposite. In fact, I fall for people really easily and I like multiple people at the same time while even in a relationship. It might have something to do with my attention-seeking behavior though. I constantly crave attention and when I'm in a relationship, I can easily grab their attention and make them pay attention to me. I want people to pay attention to me and only me and I don't like the idea of anybody close to me being with somebody else. Then again, according to my previous psychiatrist, I have Cluster B traits, so that says a lot about me. I've always had the drive to be in a relationship but I think being single has its benefits too. After all, university is time-consuming and many people aren't in the right mindset or spot to be in a relationship for much of their life. I also think that a relationship would be best so I can manage finances easier when I move out and enjoy living in a house with someone else. I also want to foster kids in the future and orphanages are more likely to let you foster if you're a married couple. Plus, I think part of it is that my parents really want me to get married in the future and they expect me to fulfill that goal. It might be an Asian family thing, but who knows. It also might be societal pressure since I've been told from a young age that I'll get married and have kids when I'm older.

Life has no meaning,
but that doesn't mean
we shouldn't live it

Nov 23, 2019 12:29 PM
Jul 2018
I like guys and when they like me back and ask me to go out with them I agree. By the next morning I block them and cut off all my connections with them cause I lose my mood for dating anyone. Does that make me an aromantic?

Or maybe it's just my bipolar disorder.

IpreferEcchi said:
Yes. I'm primarily interested in sexual things over romantic things.

Same here. Also when I like someone romantically I can't think of sexualizing them without having the urge to puke.
removed-userNov 24, 2019 7:14 AM
Nov 23, 2019 12:38 PM

May 2016
Me.

Never had any interest for a romantic relationship and I, in fact, never fell in love.
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
Nov 23, 2019 12:51 PM

Feb 2018
Anyone can have romantic interests. I have a romantic interest with that hot girl on TV, but see that getting an affair with her is a bit difficult. I can only see from her window how happy she is with a wealthy fool.
Nov 23, 2019 1:00 PM

Nov 2019
@xA-2, just because you can doesn't mean people who can't don't exist.
Nov 23, 2019 1:02 PM

Mar 2015
I have do have interst at times but the thought of myself being in one or when they start flirting, I feel disgusted. I tried being in one (felt forced too) and... I hated every second of it, it absolutely sucks!
Gin-chan said:
Anime - it's not something that can be thought of in a hall for conferences. It is made out of strange juices current from the brain of animators.
Nov 23, 2019 1:03 PM

Oct 2018
I suppose I don't need to look for love. I've been told by my ex that the reason she walked up to me was cause of my persona with her other friends to the point that she got asked to ask me out and wasn't dissapointed. I left her after for cheating.

サディスティックな考え
"JUST KILL ME."
サディスティックマインド
Nov 23, 2019 1:09 PM

Jul 2007
No, but I am aromatic if you're interested.
Nov 23, 2019 1:12 PM

Feb 2018
Liberachi said:
@xA-2, just because you can doesn't mean people who can't don't exist.
and that you don't have now doesn't mean you can't.
Nov 23, 2019 1:14 PM

Nov 2019
@xA-2, I haven't so far, and there's many people who go their entire lives without any romantic interest.
Nov 23, 2019 1:18 PM

Feb 2018
Liberachi said:
@xA-2, I haven't so far, and there's many people who go their entire lives without any romantic interest.
that they spend their entire lives without a romantic interest, does not mean they can't..
Nov 23, 2019 1:25 PM

Nov 2019
@xA-2, nope, at the end of the day, there's people who are romantics and those who aren't in anyway.
It's not something that's for every person.
Either way, anyone who's gone their entire life so far without any romantic feelings would be in the right to think maybe they just don't have any.
Nov 23, 2019 1:26 PM

Mar 2018
Can't wait to read all the posts made by edgy teenagers claiming that love ain't their thing.

“The most shameless thing in the world is political power that can be inherited regardless of ability or talent!”
Nov 23, 2019 1:30 PM

Feb 2018
Liberachi said:
@xA-2, nope, at the end of the day, there's people who are romantics and those who aren't in anyway.
It's not something that's for every person.
Either way, anyone who's gone their entire life so far without any romantic feelings would be in the right to think maybe they just don't have any.
People without romantic interests are not psychopaths. They can generate interest. Making it harder for them or just avoiding those things is another problem.
Nov 23, 2019 1:40 PM
Mar 2018
I myself am very much an aromantic. I don't find the idea of romance disgusting, a romantic relationship just isn't an idea that really peaks my interest very much. I wouldn't really avoid a romantic relationship either, but it's not something I'm striving for honestly.
Nov 23, 2019 1:41 PM

Nov 2019
@xA-2, people who tend to identify as aromantic can have interest. Just not any romantic interest. Kinda like never being interested in sports. You make someone who doesn't like sports play sports, and they won't enjoy themselves.
Nov 23, 2019 1:50 PM

Feb 2018
Liberachi said:
@xA-2, people who tend to identify as aromantic can have interest. Just not any romantic interest. Kinda like never being interested in sports. You make someone who doesn't like sports play sports, and they won't enjoy themselves.
I think my English is a bad thing, my apologies.

"Making", i meant that if they find it difficult. I'm not talking about forcing someone, that would make it worse, for me. They can generate interest in sports (is different from romantic, but well), if there are instances in life that merits it. You don't have to see it as impossible. Because yes, you can generate romantic interest.
Nov 23, 2019 1:56 PM

Nov 2019
@xA-2, okay lets just say some people have tendencies that tend to lean one way or the other.
And that not everyone is 100% one way.
Kinda like how everyone is technically bisexual on some level.
Nov 23, 2019 2:01 PM

Feb 2018
Liberachi said:
@xA-2, okay lets just say some people have tendencies that tend to lean one way or the other.
And that not everyone is 100% one way.
Kinda like how everyone is technically bisexual on some level.
Please, do not compare the romantic interest in a woman (from someone heterosexual), to romantic interest in a man (from someone heterosexual). You speak as if it were something biological in you that does not allow you to have romantic interests.
Nov 23, 2019 2:03 PM

Nov 2019
@xA-2, all thoughts and feelings you have are biological on some level.
Nov 23, 2019 2:08 PM

Feb 2018
Liberachi said:
@xA-2, all thoughts and feelings you have are biological on some level.
but you are not different, you can have romantic interest, that without knowing you.
Nov 23, 2019 2:09 PM

Nov 2019
@xA-2, nah pretty sure I know more about myself than you do.
Nov 23, 2019 2:13 PM

Feb 2018
Liberachi said:
@xA-2, nah pretty sure I know more about myself than you do.
Of course, but don't fool yourself.
Nov 23, 2019 2:25 PM

Nov 2019
@xA-2, oh I'm open to being wrong about myself.
Nothing has come along to prove otherwise though.

Let's make this the last post here. This is dragging on too long.
LiberachiNov 23, 2019 2:40 PM
Nov 23, 2019 2:27 PM

Oct 2012
Nah son, I'm romantic as feck. I mean, I can understand where aromantics are coming from, but it aint my thing.
I love candles and red wine and flowers and sunsets.
If life ain't just a joke
Then why are we laughing?

Then why am I dead?
Nov 23, 2019 2:32 PM

Aug 2012
Just here to plug in my Tractatus. Get things going, So yeah, my answer is pretty known. Romance is nice but nothing too important.

Illuminatli said:
Nah son, I'm romantic as feck. I mean, I can understand where aromantics are coming from, but it aint my thing.
Lose the wine and the flowers because I'm a cheapskate and I'll let you in on a secret. Oh, wait. Read above.
Nov 23, 2019 2:36 PM

Oct 2012
Yarub said:
Just here to plug in my Tractatus. Get things going, So yeah, my answer is pretty known. Romance is nice but nothing too important.

Illuminatli said:
Lose the wine and the flowers because I'm a cheapskate and I'll let you in on a secret. Oh, wait. Read above.

Flowers don't cost anything... just pick them from a meadow!

Then why am I dead?
Nov 23, 2019 2:44 PM

Aug 2012
Illuminatli said:
Yarub said:

Sure... the only flowers I see around here are in private properties and the only way for me to procure any flowers without paying raises the chances of me either being shot dead by an M-14 or eating compost off the grass as I get raped by a couple of Pakistani security guards in the aforementioned garden espionage operation. Now that would be romantic.
Nov 23, 2019 2:50 PM

Feb 2018
Liberachi said:
@xA-2, oh I'm open to being wrong about myself.
Nothing has come along to prove otherwise though.

Let's make this the last post here. This is dragging on too long.
Sorry, was I bothering you?
I'm sorry for you that you didn't have romantic interests. It is something that depends on the events in your life or your experience.
You can have them for sure, unless you are very "special" guy.
Nov 23, 2019 2:53 PM

Oct 2012
Yarub said:
Illuminatli said:

Sure... the only flowers I see around here are in private properties and the only way for me to procure any flowers without paying raises the chances of me either being shot dead by an M-14 or eating compost off the grass as I get raped by a couple of Pakistani security guards in the aforementioned garden espionage operation. Now that would be romantic.

I'm sorry... I wasn't aware of your living circumstances.

Then why am I dead?
Nov 23, 2019 3:05 PM

Nov 2019
Emotions are just a theoretical concept to me :P. But in all seriousness, I do think that all people are romantic to a degree. It just takes a compatible person to evoke these feelings of romanticism.

Be your true mind.
Nov 23, 2019 3:13 PM

Nov 2019
@xA-2, people who have no romantic interest are in the minority, so "special" indeed.
Not saying enviromental factors aren't at play, but I'm inclined to believe romantic tendencies have more of a biological basis from the start.
Either way, if someone by their young adult years has gone through life without a shred of interest in pursuing a partner, they may decide that they just don't have an interest. That maybe, that's just how they are.
That doesn't mean they're not happy. It just means that person doesn't experience romantic feelings for another person.

At this point, I'm tempted to fake-agree with you just to end the conversation.
LiberachiNov 23, 2019 3:20 PM
Nov 23, 2019 3:48 PM

Feb 2018
Liberachi said:
@xA-2, people who have no romantic interest are in the minority, so "special" indeed.
Not saying enviromental factors aren't at play, but I'm inclined to believe romantic tendencies have more of a biological basis from the start.
Either way, if someone by their young adult years has gone through life without a shred of interest in pursuing a partner, they may decide that they just don't have an interest. That maybe, that's just how they are.
That doesn't mean they're not happy. It just means that person doesn't experience romantic feelings for another person.

At this point, I'm tempted to fake-agree with you just to end the conversation.
So a few years ago many of my relatives were very "special", thanks for the clarification.

I never said you weren't happy. but I would like to see that biological basis that takes away the romantic interest in people. I assume you have no medical problems or any true special conditions.
Nov 23, 2019 3:58 PM

Nov 2019
@xA-2, uhhh I was not entirely sure what you meant by "special" to begin with. Do you mean like rare? Handicapped?
I've clearly confused you even more.

It's more of an absence of feeling that way. It either isn't developed or just isn't there.
Either way, people end up feeling the way they do.
No I do not.
LiberachiNov 23, 2019 4:07 PM
Nov 23, 2019 4:09 PM

Jul 2016
Yes. I'm primarily interested in sexual things over romantic things.
Nov 23, 2019 4:20 PM

Feb 2018
Liberachi said:
@xA-2, uhhh I was not entirely sure what you meant by "special" to begin with. Do you mean like rare? Handicapped?
I've clearly confused you even more.

It's more of an absence of feeling that way. It either isn't developed or just isn't there.
Either way, people end up feeling the way they do.
No I do not.
special, something that makes you unique or different from others. I refer to psychological or biological problems. No things like tastes or personality.

No doctor or psychologist will tell you that you lack romantic interest without special conditions. I don't know you, but you seem perfectly normal. Then I doubt it.

But that is your opinion. So, you can be different and edgy all you want.
Nov 23, 2019 4:30 PM

Nov 2019
@xA-2, in that case, I don't think you have to be special to be aromantic.
Science has actually said very little on this subject.
I'm not trying to be edgy. I and allot of other people are just making a simple observation.
Nov 23, 2019 4:42 PM

Feb 2018
Liberachi said:
@xA-2, in that case, I don't think you have to be special to be aromantic.
Science has actually said very little on this subject.
I'm not trying to be edgy. I and allot of other people are just making a simple observation.
Yes, that observation is that they are aromatic, not that they can't have romantic interest. I was very aromatic as a teenager. Geez, what turns life gives.

And we return to the beginning of the thread. I can stay all day if you want, I really am very special haha.
Nov 23, 2019 4:44 PM
Jul 2018
Not always but the older I get the less I need attention from anyone, romantic or otherwise.
Nov 23, 2019 4:44 PM

Jun 2019
Yes, I am. I've posted about it on here a few times before today, but not really in any significant detail.

It simply boils down to the fact that I can and do feel forms of:

A) Familial love (Love or affection for relative/family member like mother, father, cousin, etc. in a familial way, depending on personal relationship; completely non-sexual and non-romantic)

B) Platonic love (Love or affection for a close and trusted friend and person; completely non-sexual and non-romantic)

C) Sexual attraction (It's a physical, biological phenomenon, and one on which I've acted in the past; I'm not asexual)

On C, the sexual attraction part and overall sexuality profile, it's like I see it purely for what it is, which is a desire to experience sensory pleasures from the organic biochemical drip. Sex and sexual stimulation are a means to an end for releasing something which is produced naturally in the human body as a desired alternative to taking some laboratory-made pills, like the opioids others are addicted to. It's just a means for deriving personal pleasure rather than furthering an interpersonal relationship. Which could be achieved with another person or, preferably, autonomously. There's nothing about it that makes me in any way want to actually invite another person into my life in any sense. I don't want to care for another person like that. I don't want to have to compromise any single aspect of my lifestyle with another person, to jointly decide where to go, what to eat, how to act, how to live. It's just never remotely appealed to me since childhood. Or to sap any of my time dedicated to my own interests.

The only thing I'm uncertain about is whether that comes down to neurology and my basic physiological makeup and can be said to have some genetic component and rooted deep in the brain's natural circuitry. As some schools of thought consider sexual orientation like heterosexuality, homosexuality, and bisexuality to be. Or whether it's more psychological, nurture over nature, and a conscious choice and preference on my part rather than who I am on the intrinsic physical level. That's more of a question for science and philosophy though, because either way it doesn't change my life decisions as a result of it.

I've always been incredibly asocial in general though. So you could also consider it an extension of that.
WatchTillTandavaNov 23, 2019 4:52 PM
Nov 23, 2019 4:49 PM

Jan 2017
lavah said:
I like guys and when they like me back and ask me to go out with them I agree. By the next morning I block them and cut off all my connections with them cause I lose my mood for dating anyone. Does that make me an aromantic?

Or maybe it's just my bipolar disorder.
Sounds like bipolar disorder to me lol
Nov 23, 2019 4:51 PM

Nov 2019
@xA-2, nah, we'll end it here.
You're not really getting this concept, and I don't feel like repeating myself.
Just look over what I've already said.
Nov 23, 2019 5:05 PM

Feb 2018
Liberachi said:
@xA-2, nah, we'll end it here.
You're not really getting this concept, and I don't feel like repeating myself.
Just look over what I've already said.
haha of course, I read your concept from head to toe and vice versa. It's a shame, then I stop bothering you.
Nov 23, 2019 5:08 PM

Nov 2019
@xA-2, ah sure you did and it's not my concept.
now go to bed.
LiberachiNov 23, 2019 5:11 PM
Nov 23, 2019 5:11 PM
Jul 2018
Liberachi said:
Basically, are you someone who's always had a complete disinterest, avoidance, or outright repulsion to the romantic aspects of a relationship.
The only time I said yes to being asked out, I felt like I was pressured into it socially. I managed to break things off after our first date. The drive to actually obtain a partner has never been there though. I've always been fine with remaining single.
So yeah, I'm aromantic.
How about you?

I'm more like on the demisexual, like I have lower sexual drive but not none and I'm more attracted to women, and on the demiromantic side. But here I'm not sure. I think it's also fairly normal not to act like a hormone driven 13 yo old, who's in "love" after knowing someone for a few weeks or slept with them once or something and many people grow out of such stuff very quick.
But if you say you don't feel the need to have a partner, then you don't have to force yourself.

Btw I really dislike dates for various reasons. It was very cringey to go out with someone I barely knew, felt more like a job interview and these were long, long hours like the time was frozen.
My romantic attraction (besides a few superficial crushes) always grew from close friendships to people I also found physically attractive.
But at this point it becomes hard for me to differentiate between these two things, it now became "easier" for me then to fall in love with more people (kinda), but I don't need to act on this automatically. It just happened sometimes, if both was the case: I know them for a long time and I find them attractive.

I also think the difference between a close friendship and romantic love is just made up by society. The only difference is maybe the attraction, but there are many friendship with benefits relationships out there too. You also could "commit" to each other in some ways like a couple does.

My first real love and kinda-relationship was my best friend in school for years, because I knew him very well and I like his looks too, he was very conventionally attractive and all. Same with my ex boyfriend now. So that's where my romantic feelings are coming from in general. It's impossible for me to feel something similar like that after a few weeks or so.
removed-userNov 23, 2019 5:15 PM
Nov 23, 2019 5:24 PM

Feb 2018
Liberachi said:
@xA-2, ah sure you did and it's not my concept.
now go to bed.
ok, then you are aromatic forever, without biological or psychological prove. Thanks for all this knowledge.
Nov 23, 2019 5:32 PM

Nov 2019
@xA-2, not sure what other proof I could give you other than my word.
I don't fall in love.
Nov 23, 2019 5:37 PM

Feb 2018
Liberachi said:
@xA-2, not sure what other proof I could give you other than my word.
I don't fall in love.
you do not fall in love for now, since it is part of the experience and events of your life. But you can do it, since you have no medical or mental problems. it is simple.

If you don't fall in love for the rest of your life, it doesn't mean you couldn't have done it.
Nov 23, 2019 5:39 PM

Nov 2019
@xA-2, saying that is like telling a gay person that he'll find the right woman eventually.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Do you think there should be an age limit on friendship?

Thy-Veseveia - Feb 28

36 by Crawlie »»
1 hour ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

677 by Crawlie »»
1 hour ago

» Over the years, I began to be repulsed by pork, is there any explanation for this?

Absurdo_N - Mar 26

25 by bevarnow »»
2 hours ago

» Are you going to apologize?

LenRea - Mar 25

26 by LoveYourEyes »»
2 hours ago

» What are some of your favorite animals?

DoisacChopper - Feb 10

46 by Dracowyn »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.