Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Nov 11, 2019 10:23 AM

Jul 2015
Above average --> HxH, Trigun, Rurouni Kenshin, Soul Eater, Chainsaw Man, Altair, Promised Neverland, Haikyuu, Death Note

Below average --> Others.

It's pretty simple
MitakaFamiNov 11, 2019 10:28 AM
Nov 11, 2019 10:44 AM

May 2015
keragamming said:
@zal

It is a mystery box series for a reason and Isayama gave hints that a lot of persons figured out, you simple weren't paying attention. And persons love snk for how well planned out the plot is and how it has a lot of foreshadowing and overall a well put together plot. Of course it has flaws

Well seeing as you are not a fan of mystery box series, most of the mysteries has been answered and from now on its the characters is driving the plot. So you may like it, maybe not. Just giving you a heads up.
You are dismissing my opinion on AoT on the basis that I dislike mystery box as a genre when my most favorite anime (Monster) is a mystery box anime?

I didn't say that AoT is poorly written because it's a mystery box, I am saying that AoT is poorly written because does the mystery box in a cheap manner.

I didn't question the planning of the plot nor the presence of foreshadowing so I don't know why even bring them up. You are defending stuff I am not even criticizing right now.

And I don't think the "AoT is a mystery box" is a good thing because I watched Serial Experiments Lain, Monster, Mouryou no Hako and other mystery box series (not necessarily anime) that I liked but the difference is that they were fair in setting expectations then do their thing. AoT starts as a fairly typical battle shounen but then also a mystery box but then also politics but then also racial discrimination and concentration camps but then also magic. What even is thematic coherence?

It is a mystery box series for a reason
Are you justifying AoT being a mystery box using the circular argument of the mystery box definition or you have an actual reason for it being a mystery box?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 11, 2019 11:20 AM

Oct 2013
zal said:
keragamming said:
@zal

It is a mystery box series for a reason and Isayama gave hints that a lot of persons figured out, you simple weren't paying attention. And persons love snk for how well planned out the plot is and how it has a lot of foreshadowing and overall a well put together plot. Of course it has flaws

Well seeing as you are not a fan of mystery box series, most of the mysteries has been answered and from now on its the characters is driving the plot. So you may like it, maybe not. Just giving you a heads up.
You are dismissing my opinion on AoT on the basis that I dislike mystery box as a genre when my most favorite anime (Monster) is a mystery box anime?

I didn't say that AoT is poorly written because it's a mystery box, I am saying that AoT is poorly written because does the mystery box in a cheap manner.

I didn't question the planning of the plot nor the presence of foreshadowing so I don't know why even bring them up. You are defending stuff I am not even criticizing right now.

And I don't think the "AoT is a mystery box" is a good thing because I watched Serial Experiments Lain, Monster, Mouryou no Hako and other mystery box series (not necessarily anime) that I liked but the difference is that they were fair in setting expectations then do their thing. AoT starts as a fairly typical battle shounen but then also a mystery box but then also politics but then also racial discrimination and concentration camps but then also magic. What even is thematic coherence?

It is a mystery box series for a reason
Are you justifying AoT being a mystery box using the circular argument of the mystery box definition or you have an actual reason for it being a mystery box?

"difference is that they were fair in setting expectations then do their thing."

Again the hints were there from the very beginning. It is simple the point of view we were following, we had the same perspective as our main cast, for example in the past humans thought that our sun and all the other stars revolve around earth and that earth was at the center of the universe, until later they found out that is not the case, because of the telescope and advancement in technology.

"Serial Experiments Lain" is not a mystery box series at all, its a series that simple put forth questions to the watchers and let them think deeply of it, it doesn't really go about in answering anything.

"difference is that they were fair in setting expectations then do their thing."

I will like to touch on this point here again, so you are also saying that all mystery box series should not flip the boat on its viewers and crush their expectation? So basically you are limiting what writers can do in these type of story? Nothing is wrong with monster, I enjoyed it, but that doesn't mean every mystery box should be written in the same predictable context like monster.

Again, there is no problem with this if hints were there or that if you should rewatch it, you will now see it in a different light.

For example, the Collosal titan appearing out of nowhere, hint of something supernatural going on, titans look like giant humans, later found out to be actual humans, Ymir finding a can of sardine, where inside the walls has nothing like that, you now know there is a world outside the walls.

the first chapter or episode "to you 2000 years in the future" this is being address right now in the manga, and I'm sure if you read it right now, you will be saying it came out of nowhere.

The series is consistent and it lays out the hint for readers/viewers but in a subtle way, so its not like the author didn't give any hint and just simple shut us out of the mystery just for the sake of it. "Persons have made theories 6 years ago that are turning out to be true, and they wouldn't be able to know these stuff without the hints.

I will say this, to really appreciate attack on titan, you have to reread/rewatch it atleast once to really appreciate this series.

"thematic coherence?"

It has been coherent since chapter 1, you are the one that is speed reading it and not paying attention.
keragammingNov 11, 2019 11:23 AM
Nov 11, 2019 1:03 PM
Feb 2019
It hurts my eyes and brain to see people subjectivity just writing their supposed-to-be great writing skills animes based on their opinions rather than a giving a valid points discussing the writing aspects of each anime they choose, for example some are putting Fairy Tail at the top, like seriously..

Unless everyone can really have a good insight on what the good writing is or just don't write a list of your "favorite animes" for God's sake.

I know the matter is subjective, but when we're talking about the writing, and here I don't mean the style of the writing rather than the fundamentals of the writing such as: plot, storyline, characters, world building, narrative..etc.
Nov 11, 2019 1:09 PM
Feb 2019
zal said:
AngryAlchemist said:
Does Attack on Titan get significantly better or something? I remember watching the first 10 episodes and being very unimpressed, but I'm surprised to see how often it's ranked above FMA:B on this thread.
I wouldn't say better but it does become different having more "politics".
I am like 25 chapters behind the latest chapter and I wouldn't say the "writing skill" is that elevated (comparable to Naruto), unless you consider good writing the ability to forcibly hide all the information of the world from the reader and have them revealed in the form of plot twists every chapter.

ryougine said:
By the way, since when AOT is a shounen? Lmfao
since it started publishing

Some may don't like this, but I think this labeled as a style, and it serves well as the story is a mystery one, where we judge the writing, is how the plot doing, strong or weak? connected or not? makes sense or not? is the narrative good or not? is there themes that are being addressed in depth or not? how the characters interact and do they develop? this should be how we judge a writing.

I really don't think this is some kind of trick to hide things, but it's more of a style of writing, that you get to see the bigger picture with the characters, we can make a script of the whole story up until now in the manga and it would look fantastic, Isayama's decision was to turn the entire script to a mysterious story to make the journey more interesting, and there are people who really enjoy this kind of mystery. This is the whole point.
Nov 11, 2019 1:27 PM

Nov 2012
D.gray man, pandora hearts, one piece and hxh are some of the best writing i've seen. magi was awsome but became average towards the end.
Nov 11, 2019 1:28 PM
Jul 2018
ryougine said:
By the way, since when AOT is a shounen? Lmfao

Since 2009. How can you not know that?

And Attack on Titan: No Regrets is shoujo.
Nov 11, 2019 1:30 PM
May 2019
- HxH 2011
- FMA:B
- Fate/Zero?
- Attack on Titan
Nov 11, 2019 1:31 PM

May 2015
@keragamming
Of course it has flaws
In 3 years of seeing you defending AoT I have never seen you concede a flaw in AoT and you always reverse the issue on the one complaining like you did with me "it's my fault that I don't like AoT, I am reading it wrong and I must not have paid attention.

But you said AoT has flaws, what are they?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 11, 2019 1:37 PM

Jan 2019
In my opinion Demon Slayer is Garbage and wouldn't even make the list.
Nov 11, 2019 1:51 PM
Jul 2018
As for shounen with great writing:

The first five (I think) volumes of Yakusoku no Neverland. Roughly the first season of the anime, but with a few key differences.
For its ability to keep you on the edge of your seat, always craving more.

The entirety of Aria.
For its subtle style of writing. Telling a compelling story without overwhelming you with unnecessary blabber. In an episodic format too.

Shounen with absolutely atrocious writing:

Dragon Ball Z.
Completely disregards all previously established power levels and makes an absolute joke of almost the entire cast.

Shounen that get better over time:

Attack on Titan.
Discards most of the initial tropes and goes for a different approach, with a more grounded (and realistic) kind of character growth.

Note: But it takes quite a long time to get there, so I still don't recommend suffering through the initial arcs. The cast is absolutely obnoxious for... I don't even know how many volumes.
removed-userNov 11, 2019 1:54 PM
Nov 11, 2019 2:24 PM
Feb 2019
logopolis said:
Trying to assemble such a list swiftly runs into the problems of "what is shounen? what is mainstream? how do you compare writing with is great at A but sucks at B with writing which is great at B but sucks at A?" But the obvious top three to me are Evangelion, Haruhi and FMAB.

I'm quite amused at the people doubting Attack on Titan's shounen-ness. As well as being a direct manga adaption, and hence perfectly defined, it's one of the most obviously shounen ideas ever.

I never seen something as wrong as this, we're talking about AOT as a whole story, I don't know if you're caught up with the manga but the story is far away from "one of the most obviously shounen ideas ever"

Here is what common in shounen:

- The Protagonist is absolutely good and only do good things while Eren.... Ahem, yeah, he does love doing good things... sure.

- The characters barley die, and in AOT we don't say "who died?" But "how many died?" And I'm not even talking about the unknown/background characters.

- Everything turns out good for the protagonist, he doesn't lose something, he doesn't have to sacrifice something that would wreck havoc, in AOT, you can never gain something without sacrificing many lives and even your humanity itself, there's no place for innocence in this story, and the innocents have it hard and get really dark later on.

- Almost every shounen don't craft the power of the protagonist that much, like how did they get them, how does the logic play in the process getting that power, in AOT, he does have A LOT of progress.

- Shounen shows often don't go in depth with the themes they're presenting, especially the grey morality, AOT's characters have so much grey morality to the point that you really don't know who's right and wrong, and you even get to the conclusion that your MC is actually not a good guy, neither the majority of the characters, and you get to the point that you have to accept this fact, but you can't stop loving them, because this is AOT's world, grey as hell, if there was a vague line between good and bad then it had been completely wiped out, the story focuses on a new way of characterization where you don't say "that villain had sad/tragic so that's why he became that new person, therefore you may sympathize with him" NO, AOT doesn't do this, because they aren't even villains.

- The majority of shounen don't have tons of chapters focusing on characters's dialogues, how they intreact, their conflicts..etc

- Shounens actually don't present such serious issues as: fascism, dictatorship, warfare, religion, racism, discrimination, conspiracy, propaganda, twisted history, what's the truth and what's the lie? How can you define them?, What's freedom and how could you gain it?, Genocide, ethnic cleansing...etc

So what's up with the "one of the most obvious shounen ideas ever?" when AOT's ideas are ones of the most sensitive ideas any show can have?!!!

Technically, AOT is published by a shounen magazine and this has nothing to do with the themes of the story, if Isayama wants to move it to Seinen he could have done it.

It would be better, if people talk about something they do have knowledge about.
Nov 11, 2019 2:44 PM
Feb 2019
zal said:
crybabynes said:

I never seen something as wrong as this, we're talking about AOT as a whole story, I don't know if you're caught up with the manga but the story is far away from "one of the most obviously shounen ideas ever"
Not really, Claymore did it beforehand.

I'm not arguing which show did it, I'm talking about the "one of the most obvious shounen ideas ever" lol which it's very famous that the majority of shounen aren't like that, if that would make my point clear.
Nov 11, 2019 2:53 PM
Jul 2018
FMAB
Baccano!
Durarara!
Jojo
Fate/Stay Night
Code Geass
Samurai Champloo
Naruto
Attack On Titan
Gintama
Bleach
One Piece (corny, melodramatic, and the pacing is the worst I've seen in anime)
Black Clover (beyond generic)

Nov 11, 2019 3:40 PM

May 2018
Ramsey01maa said:
Gorochu said:

Naah, except for Yorknew and Chimera, Naruto has more consistent good arcs.
thanks for proving my points about retarded opinions like yours , greed island the least interesting arc in hxh is better than Naruto _ one piece _ fmab all together

Nope, Naruto and One Piece worst arcs are still better than Hxh worst arc.

The main reason why people said Hxh has good writing is because Madhouse did a wonderful job adapting it. I read HxH manga since the 2000s and anyone who read both Naruto and HxH prior 2011 anime wont says HxH has better writing. I actually enjoy the 2011 anine more than the manga. It's only when the 2011 anime come out, the new generation jump the bandwagon. Now imagine if Studio Pierrot is the one animated HxH instead of Madhouse in 2011, no one would says HxH 2011 has top tier writing. And the recent Dark Continent arc is boring. Who cares about a bunch of princes and princess,just give us Hisoka vs Phantom Troupe already.

It still a good manga overall but in term of writing, it's not that good.
Papa_ScorchNov 12, 2019 2:46 AM
Nov 11, 2019 4:24 PM

May 2019
My shonen has the best writing. Sadly, it has not come out yet because I can't draw. But anyone who is willing to draw for me for a dollar an hour will have the opportunity to draw the greatest shonen of all time.
Nov 11, 2019 4:28 PM

Dec 2016
crescensXG said:

Ferien said:
Oh I didn't know that. Well... still it doesn't feel like a shounen to me, despite this fact.

Heh, this is sorta funny. Because Shōnen is just a magazine label (check my sig spoiler), nothing more. But would be nice to know how "it feels". I do understand what you mean, though. ;)

Aware that the term shounen means just a demo and a magazine label, still... something "feels" shounen to me when:

- The show isn't very kiddy neither very mature. If it falls somewhere in the middle. When it is something even a 7-8 year old person can suitably watch, understand and enjoy, without being unappealing for the adult crowds as well.

- Mcs are teen boys: aged 12 to 18 or at most 20 (at least during the beginning, Dragon Ball has 20+ adult characters as mcs for ex and is one of the exceptions)

- There are no morally ambiguous characters: main characters are good and the antagonists are bad. There is barely any exploration in this regard.

- Characters are quite stereotypical.

- The dialogues are exaggerated, unrealistic and cheesy. The overall tone of the show too. This to make the show more appealing to the younger audiences.

- The plot tends to be quite simple, without much complexity, and pretty straightforward. There isn't much to "think" and themes usually have to do with never giving up, believing in yourself, getting stronger, overcoming obstacles, fighting for your dreams, fighting for good causes, for your friends and stuff.

- There's usually some kind of superpower in the universe of the show or the characters are overly skilled if we are talking about a sports shounen.

- There will (usually) be a lot of comedy, plenty of it dumb one, with gags, funny faces and stuff. It's not something that is going to take itself 100% seriously.

- Female participation and relevance will usually be quite limited.

AoT, outside the ages of the main characters, doesn't meet much of all this, hence why it's hard to me to associate it with the shounen term.
Nov 11, 2019 5:26 PM

May 2012
Ferien: [...]

Heh, thanks for elaborating. I already expected that kind of response, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with it since it indeed applies to a lot of series which run under that label. Mostly tropey battle manga published in Shōnen magazines, though action obviously represents just a small part running under that demographic. That's why I said it also depends of the publishing magazine and mangakas when it comes to works that set themselves apart from all of the typical clichés and themes. That's just the way it is with mainstream series. If it appeals to the masses, there's not much change and, unfortunately, risk needed. -g-

My main reason mentioning it was that a lot of people still believe the common fallacy that it's a genre while they only wish to say that they like series with lots of battle action including typical tropes and perhaps certain stereotypes that come with them. All too vague.

Same for Seinen. The majority I know may present more mature themes in numbers, but don't handle those maturely. Out of my own experience of having read more than a handful manga: The ceiling is definitely higher, but the amount of hair-raising, dreadful writing remains unrivalled, only surpassed by Hentai and Dōjinshi.

Have a good night!
My Rereads | My Favorite Mangaka | Soylent Green

Buy stuff, or buy at least your favorites if you can afford it - Don't be lame.

D W-W&N 🤍

MAL is a far cry from being my main literature site, that's why I won't be doing mere single chapter updates anymore. Manga- aka Baka-Updates + 2 French ones are miles better and more thorough/complete + less restricting. The latter are perfectly suited for Manga/Light Novel/Books collectors such as myself. Less stressful/tiring this way. -g-
Nov 11, 2019 5:29 PM

Jun 2016
Of course One Piece should always be in the top 3. you're crazy if you say otherwise.
Nov 11, 2019 5:57 PM

Oct 2013
zal said:
@keragamming
Of course it has flaws
In 3 years of seeing you defending AoT I have never seen you concede a flaw in AoT and you always reverse the issue on the one complaining like you did with me "it's my fault that I don't like AoT, I am reading it wrong and I must not have paid attention.

But you said AoT has flaws, what are they?

It can be contrive at times and

If you go in the manga discussion for that chapter, you will see my complaints. So yeah, I don't think the series is perfect.
keragammingNov 11, 2019 6:04 PM
Nov 11, 2019 6:45 PM
Jul 2018
So is this basically a ranking of your favorite shonen of all time? I have one question. What do you mean by "shonen"? Is the ranking considered to be for all anime that fall under the shonen demographic (this can include non battle shonen like Death Note or Lucky Star for example)? Or is this just a list based solely on battle shonen?

If this my list were to only consist of battle shonen, here's how I rate it in terms of writing
Pandora Hearts
Attack On Titan
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
The Promised Neverland
Black Butler
D Gray Man
Demon Slayer
My Hero Academia
Noragami
Assassination Classroom
One Piece
Kekkai Sensen
Soul Eater
Seven Deadly Sins
Blue Exorcist
Naruto
Bleach
Fairy Tail

I haven't seen HxH, Gintama and Dragon Ball so they're not on the list.
If I would, I can also add shows like Durarara, Haruhi Suzumiya, The World God Only Knows, Higurashi, Nichijou, YLIA, Zetsubou Sensei and even Princess Tutu in the list as well. But for some reason, I don't consider them "shonen".

RealTheAbsurdist said:

Baccano!
Durarara!
Fate/Stay Night
Code Geass
Samurai Champloo

I can see how they have shonen elements. But I think most of these titles feel more seinen to me. I mean, Code Geass is about a guy with moral issues, Samurai Champloo is about a guy who's nihilistic, Baccano mostly has grown men for its cast (and the manga versions are seinen) and Fate Stay Night is based on a eroge which are elements that are definitely not targeted for those who read shonen. But because how broad the term "shonen" is, I can see why you added those.
removed-userNov 12, 2019 3:30 PM
Nov 11, 2019 6:57 PM
Mar 2018
funny how shounen is my favorite genre yet most shounen is pretty trash. anyways, I'll only list the good ones in order from best to worst. mine goes

hxh
fmab
deathnote (everything up to and before L's death)
Haikyuu, AoT s3p2
kimetsu no yaiba
Nov 12, 2019 12:42 AM

Apr 2012
crybabynes said:

Ok, let's test these against some of my favourite shounens...

- The Protagonist is absolutely good and only do good things

Evangelion - nope. Haruhi - nope. Azumanga - sort of, but it hardly seems relevant. Death Note - nope. FMAB - yeah, maybe. Zetsubou Sensei - nope.

The characters barley die,

Evangelion - nope. Haruhi - yes, but there's not that much peril. Azumanga - yes, but they're only going to school, so what do you expect? Death Note - nope. FMAB - not much, I guess. Zetsubou Sensei - "status quo is king".

- Everything turns out good for the protagonist, he doesn't lose something, he doesn't have to sacrifice something that would wreck havoc,

Evangelion - nope. Haruhi - pretty neutral. Azumanga - how do you even judge? Death Note - nope. FMAB - not really. Zetsubou Sensei - nope.

- Almost every shounen don't craft the power of the protagonist that much, like how did they get them, how does the logic play in the process getting that power,

Evangelion - nope. Haruhi - what power? Azumanga - what power? Death Note - nope. FMAB - nope. Zetsubou Sensei - where did he get the power of enormous despair?!

- Shounen shows often don't go in depth with the themes they're presenting, especially the grey morality,

Evangelion - nope. Haruhi - nope. Azumanga - eh? Death Note - it isn't great, I guess. FMAB - nope. Zetsubou Sensei - nope.

- The majority of shounen don't have tons of chapters focusing on characters's dialogues, how they intreact, their conflicts..etc

Evangelion - nope. Haruhi - nope. Azumanga - nope. Death Note - yes. FMAB - nope. Zetsubou Sensei - only really has characterisation in a fairly loose sense.

- Shounens actually don't present such serious issues as: fascism, dictatorship, warfare, religion, racism, discrimination, conspiracy, propaganda, twisted history, what's the truth and what's the lie? How can you define them?, What's freedom and how could you gain it?, Genocide, ethnic cleansing...etc

Evangelion - nope. Haruhi - yes. Azumanga - yes. Death note - sort of. FMAB - nope. Zetsubou Sensei - nope.

So what's up with the "one of the most obvious shounen ideas ever?" when AOT's ideas are ones of the most sensitive ideas any show can have?!!!

It has a city surrounded by giant monsters which its protagonists fly through the air to battle. That's the idea I'm referring to. I'm not talking about any of its other ideas. One of the most obvious shounen ideas ever.

Technically, AOT is published by a shounen magazine and this has nothing to do with the themes of the story,

But it does have quite a lot to do with whether it's shounen.

It would be better, if people talk about something they do have knowledge about.

Yes. For instance, it's a good idea to know that 'shounen' is an entire demographic containing an enormous variety of different kinds of story, united only in a common primary target audience of males under the age of 18, rather than a set of a set of rigidly defined limitations.

You seem to think 'shounen' is some kind of insult. It is not.
logopolisNov 12, 2019 1:12 AM
Nov 12, 2019 4:40 AM
Feb 2019
logopolis said:
crybabynes said:

Ok, let's test these against some of my favourite shounens...

- The Protagonist is absolutely good and only do good things

Evangelion - nope. Haruhi - nope. Azumanga - sort of, but it hardly seems relevant. Death Note - nope. FMAB - yeah, maybe. Zetsubou Sensei - nope.

The characters barley die,

Evangelion - nope. Haruhi - yes, but there's not that much peril. Azumanga - yes, but they're only going to school, so what do you expect? Death Note - nope. FMAB - not much, I guess. Zetsubou Sensei - "status quo is king".

- Everything turns out good for the protagonist, he doesn't lose something, he doesn't have to sacrifice something that would wreck havoc,

Evangelion - nope. Haruhi - pretty neutral. Azumanga - how do you even judge? Death Note - nope. FMAB - not really. Zetsubou Sensei - nope.

- Almost every shounen don't craft the power of the protagonist that much, like how did they get them, how does the logic play in the process getting that power,

Evangelion - nope. Haruhi - what power? Azumanga - what power? Death Note - nope. FMAB - nope. Zetsubou Sensei - where did he get the power of enormous despair?!

- Shounen shows often don't go in depth with the themes they're presenting, especially the grey morality,

Evangelion - nope. Haruhi - nope. Azumanga - eh? Death Note - it isn't great, I guess. FMAB - nope. Zetsubou Sensei - nope.

Evangelion - nope. Haruhi - nope. Azumanga - nope. Death Note - yes. FMAB - nope. Zetsubou Sensei - only really has characterisation in a fairly loose sense.

Evangelion - nope. Haruhi - yes. Azumanga - yes. Death note - sort of. FMAB - nope. Zetsubou Sensei - nope.

It has a city surrounded by giant monsters which its protagonists fly through the air to battle. That's the idea I'm referring to. I'm not talking about any of its other ideas. One of the most obvious shounen ideas ever.

Technically, AOT is published by a shounen magazine and this has nothing to do with the themes of the story,

But it does have quite a lot to do with whether it's shounen.

Yes. For instance, it's a good idea to know that 'shounen' is an entire demographic containing an enormous variety of different kinds of story, united only in a common primary target audience of males under the age of 18, rather than a set of a set of rigidly defined limitations.

You seem to think 'shounen' is some kind of insult. It is not.

The idea of humans being inside the walls wasn't something very shounen when it first came out, it was indeed original (talking about the walls) yeah we can label the Titans as mecha, but it's original how it was structured into a plot, I remember when all people were surprised by it back in 2013.

You can take any theme and structure it into something bigger, something more complicated
For example: freedom is something common in shounen animes, am I wrong? But how AOT presented this theme?

Lastly, no I don't think of it as an insult, why would I?
My second favorite anime is shounen (JoJo) and I deeply love it, and even though the manga moved to a Seinen magazine, I can't see it as a Seinen, this is just an obvious shounen show, that's why I said the magazine has nothing to do with the themes of the show, it's just because I don't know what is so shounen about AOT?

OPM is in a Seinen magazine, so why its themes are targeted to teens? want to elaborate on this topic?

I know shounen is a demographic and that's why I'm talking about the magazines after all.
Since shounen magazines from the first day started to publish a certain type of manga we just got used this term to define certain manga/animes, so it's the magazines's fault to begin with.

Mod Edit: Added spoiler tags; please hide plot details.

Mod Edit: Removed baiting.
FancyjasperNov 16, 2019 3:14 AM
Nov 12, 2019 6:46 AM

Apr 2012
crybabynes said:
The idea of humans being inside the walls wasn't something very shounen when it first came out, it was indeed original (talking about the walls) yeah we can label the Titans as mecha, but it's original how it was structured into a plot, I remember when all people were surprised by it back in 2013.

How does being original make it non shounen? A very shounen idea is one which is obviously targeted towards males under the age of 18, it doesn't matter whether there are no other shounens like it or a million. It's got big, impressive monsters and brave heroes who fight in an excessively 'cool' manner who battle them. That's the sort of thing which impresses boys, but is far less of a draw to adults or females.

Conversely, you could make a comedy about a group of girls attending school, and this would not be a very shounen idea, despite being the same premise as Azumanga Daioh, because that premise also appeals to other demographics quite a bit.

Lastly, no I don't think of it as an insult, why would I?

Well, you just seemed to be imposing arbitrary limits on it which seemed rather uncomplimentary.

OPM is in a Seinen magazine, so why its themes are targeted to teens? want to elaborate on this topic?

Not sure what the acronym refers to. But being in a seinen magazine makes things seinen, they might have a premise which makes them obviously seinen, or they might have a premise which makes that far harder to predict. Azumanga Daioh, as I pointed out, is shounen, but it's not obviously shounen, you have to find out.

Since shounen magazines from the first day started to publish a certain type of manga we just got used this term to define certain manga/animes, so it's the magazines's fault to begin with.

Shounen magazines publish a vast array of different types of manga, because boys can actually be interested in a vast array of different types of story. It's you (and a few others) who are taking it to mean something narrow, for no obvious reason.
Nov 12, 2019 10:09 AM

Oct 2017
Anything but HxH as #1 is unacceptable, I don't really care about the ranking of the rest.

Nov 12, 2019 10:40 AM

Oct 2015
My favorite Shonen in terms of writing and themes is Hunter x Hunter. It is at times masterful. I stopped reading Attack on Titan shortly after
so I don't know what happens afterwards but I do remember thinking the chapter of the Titans origin being one of the best written chapters I'd ever read in Shonen so if there are more of those chapters it might truly be the best written Shonen. I'm still gonna harp on it for keeping
That's indefensible bullshit.
Nov 12, 2019 3:20 PM
Jul 2018
FMA > HxH > The Rest > Dying a really painful death > Boku no Piko Academia/Black Cover
Nov 12, 2019 7:08 PM

Aug 2016
Jyiber said:
Aniik8pv2 said:

Subjective views you mean. Nobody here (including me) knows anything about writing skills, it's all personal preferences.
This could easily have been a simple blog post, but nah a flame war is much more fun

First post on the forum and I guess I'm just feeling out what level of cancer I'm dealing with...

That's the ridiculous thing of MAL; we are all here because we share the same hobby, but people treat each other like enemies. I'm always baffled how people have friends on here because it's usually only hostile. :S
Nov 12, 2019 7:31 PM

Oct 2013
Nick-Knight said:
FMA > HxH > The Rest > Dying a really painful death > Boku no Piko Academia/Black Cover

AoT > FMA > The Rest > Dying a really painful death > HxH > Boku no Piko Academia/Black Cover

Fixed thank me later.
Nov 13, 2019 6:35 AM
Jul 2018
keragamming said:
Nick-Knight said:

AoT > FMA > The Rest > Dying a really painful death > HxH > Boku no Piko Academia/Black Cover

Fixed thank me later.

^https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGGViLwHEUk^
Plz Kera-chan we've through this before.
Nov 13, 2019 6:55 AM
Jun 2014
Psajdak said:
Dragon Ball keeps me entertained more than anything else, and it's not like I didn't experience behemoths such as LOGH, Death Note, Serial Experiments Lain, Yokohama Kaidashi Kiko, Berserk, etc...

Btw, I already mentioned this before, but for me Hunter x Hunter is shonen garbage to end all shonen garbage, which had FOUR main characters, but decided to ignore TWO of them, especially Leorio, and focus only on Gon x Killua thing.

I mean, what kind of an author neglects fucking rest of the main characters?

It's not because there are 4 characters on the PV that there is 4 main characters. The only main character always was supposed to be Gon, just like Dragon Ball main characters was Goku and not Goku AND Bulma AND Yamcha.
Furthermore, the author actually shifted his focus on Kurapika and Leolio in the manga.
Nov 13, 2019 7:06 AM

Apr 2016
shanimebib said:
40 pages of narrative dialogues in every 50 pages is not good writing skill. Hunter x Hunter is overrated.

I agree. It does have some good writing here and there, but people tend to forget the bad writing that comes in between.
Nov 13, 2019 7:49 AM

Mar 2018
@Gorochu So why are Heavens Arena and Greed Island bad?

I don't understand how ranting about scores and bandwagoners makes your opinion more 'true'. Let alone the terrible argument ''most manga readers say so''.

If anything, the old HxH anime is still beloved by many and it doesn't include the CA arc and Madhouse's production quality.
poop
Nov 13, 2019 8:35 AM

Feb 2018
zal said:

. AoT starts as a fairly typical battle shounen but then also a mystery box but then also politics but then also racial discrimination and concentration camps but then also magic. What even is thematic coherence?

You didn't say anything about the themes. It still has the major theme of freedom, that you're special because you're born into the world.
This and themes like pacifism, neverending cycle of conflict and racism. What you were mentioning is tonal shift, as a primarily mystery battle shounen to politics to Socio political war politics. The themes are still the same.
Nov 13, 2019 8:56 AM

Mar 2018
ThatShiny_Hex said:
zal said:

. AoT starts as a fairly typical battle shounen but then also a mystery box but then also politics but then also racial discrimination and concentration camps but then also magic. What even is thematic coherence?

You didn't say anything about the themes. It still has the major theme of freedom, that you're special because you're born into the world.
This and themes like pacifism, neverending cycle of conflict and racism. What you were mentioning is tonal shift, as a primarily mystery battle shounen to politics to Socio political war politics. The themes are still the same.

Not to mention he stated it started as a ''typical battle shounen'' as if that's a theme.

I'm pretty sure the first season had its fair share of politics too. I mean it has been a story about war from the start, that's its main conflict throughout the whole series. All the themes mentioned here are connected to that conflict.

To say it has no thematic coherence because of a tonal shift, one that was completely natural in the story's progression, idk that's just false criticism to me.
poop
Nov 13, 2019 11:29 AM
Dec 2018
FMAB & AOT
Death Note
Clannad
Naruto, HxH & MHA
DBZ
Nov 13, 2019 1:01 PM
Nov 2019
Shonen is better than the Lord Of The Rings books.
People don’t remember is that it came out with mix reviews. The Lord Of The Rings had more plot holes and plot contrivances combined than everything in Anime and Manga.
Even when you try to ask Tolkien about the plot holes. His response is try to enjoy the story, and not to be bothered by the illogical inconsistencies.
Nov 13, 2019 2:08 PM

Dec 2018
My List:

top tier:
Medaka Box
Hunter x Hunter (better than yyh)
Attack on Titan (pre-basement)
Jojo (part 5 > part 4 > part 2 > part 6 > part 3 > part 1)

high tier:
Toriko (ruined by toei)
Demon Slayer
Black Clover
Attack on Titan (post-basement)
Bleach (the best of the original big 3)
The Promised Neverland (first arc)

mid tier:
Katekyo Hitman Reborn
Akame ga Kill
Naruto (part 1)
Yuu Yuu Hakusho (overrated af, still good)
Fire Force (underrated)
Hajime no Ippo (first season only)
Mob Psycho 100 (season 1/early arcs)
Shokugeki no Soma (pre-azami)
Dragon ball Super (future arc)
Dragon ball Z (DBZ > original dragon ball)

low tier:
Fairy Tail
Mob Psycho 100 (later arcs)
Death Note (ruined by 2nd half)
My Hero Academia
The Promised Neverland (current)
Original Dragon Ball

shit tier:
Shokugeki no Soma (post-azami)
Dragon ball Super (Bog Arc, Frieza Arc, U6 arc, Tournament arc)
Dragonball GT
Dr.Stone
Seven Deadly Sins
Tokyo Ghoul (shonen in disguise)
One Piece
:I
Nov 13, 2019 3:33 PM

May 2018
Esquirtit said:
@Gorochu So why are Heavens Arena and Greed Island bad?

I don't understand how ranting about scores and bandwagoners makes your opinion more 'true'. Let alone the terrible argument ''most manga readers say so''.

If anything, the old HxH anime is still beloved by many and it doesn't include the CA arc and Madhouse's production quality.

No it doesn't. Prior the 2011 anime, barely anyone recognise Hxh as top tier shounen. If other studio than Madhouse animate 2011 Hxh, it just another OPM 2.
Papa_ScorchNov 13, 2019 3:39 PM
Nov 16, 2019 4:13 AM

May 2014
Thread cleaned.

Please refrain from baiting users (trolling), as this halts any discussion and devolves into flaming. It's also a rule violation.
Feb 7, 2022 4:31 PM

Jun 2015
This will certainly not age very well.
Feb 7, 2022 6:38 PM

Jul 2021
Deago said:
This will certainly not age very well.
What is it with you and commenting on old threads.

Feb 7, 2022 6:49 PM

Oct 2018
One thing I have to add is that Demon Slayer has the potential to be FMAB levels of good and the manga seems to be headed that way, so list adjustments are likely.

If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
Feb 7, 2022 6:58 PM

Nov 2011
Jyiber said:

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahhahahaha
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Feb 7, 2022 7:09 PM
Sep 2021
Phosphophyllita said:
One thing I have to add is that Demon Slayer has the potential to be FMAB levels of good and the manga seems to be headed that way, so list adjustments are likely.

bruh that's not even a good joke.....
Feb 7, 2022 7:23 PM
Apr 2021
Hunterxhunter
Jujutsu kaisen
Full metal alchemist
Dragon ball
Feb 7, 2022 7:40 PM
Sep 2016
Shonens? having any amount of talent behind the writing?
lol. they're all trash, watch better anime.
Feb 7, 2022 7:57 PM
Sep 2016
eyibism said:
thetimmon666 said:
Shonens? having any amount of talent behind the writing?
lol. they're all trash, watch better anime.

It's ironic you say that when you have Trigun as your favorite anime and rated Evangelion 9 even though they are both shonen .

i can have a favorite piece of trash.
also, evangelion ain't a battle shonen, i know shonen fans are retarded, but jesus, at least try to use your 2 iq points.
Feb 7, 2022 8:05 PM

Nov 2018
Slam Dunk > One Piece > Kiss x Sis > the rest

Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Check out my list of emojis you can copy and paste in the forums here. List will expand in the future.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » do you want more emotional or more intelligent anime?

deg - 6 minutes ago

2 by Spunkert »»
2 minutes ago

» What's your most controversial anime among your favorites? ( 1 2 3 )

Kushna - Apr 5

105 by YeeYeeAss »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » whats the severity of social stigma for anime and its fans now a days?

deg - 49 minutes ago

4 by Otakupervert890 »»
16 minutes ago

» have you guys watched texhnolyze?

brainburger - Apr 21

37 by vampirismsxc »»
19 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 3 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

114 by vampirismsxc »»
22 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.