Forum Settings
Forums

Manga series or light novel that should be adapted into an anime

New
Nov 7, 2019 5:18 AM
Jun 2019
Any hidden gems out there that you think would make great adaptations?
Nov 7, 2019 5:25 AM

Aug 2018
Holyland Holyland Holyland HOLYLAND.

One of the most crude, brutal works of teenage depression reflection, passes under the radar of SO many people that is a shame. I guess it is difficult to make a proper adaptation of such a deep work but the fights are great, the feelings in them are crude and real and, fuck, the characters are beyond great.
Nov 7, 2019 7:01 AM
Jul 2018
Shunshiki no Adam. So I can lose all the remaining faith in humanity that in actuality I never had.

Actual answer: HakoMari, OTWTAS and Fire Girl (God bless abec).
Nov 7, 2019 7:08 AM
Jul 2018
PentagramShogoki said:

One of the most crude, brutal works of teenage depression reflection, passes under the radar of SO many people that is a shame. I guess it is difficult to make a proper adaptation of such a deep work but the fights are great, the feelings in them are crude and real and, fuck, the characters are beyond great.

Holyland is quite popular and not even that difficult to adapt compared to some other manga.

On topic, manga like Spirit Circle, Hoshi no Samidare or Imawa no Kuni no Alice can work well as adaptations. Not hidden gems by any means, but they are much easier to be adapted in anime format.
Nov 7, 2019 7:11 AM

Aug 2018
Timeless- said:
PentagramShogoki said:

Holyland is quite popular and not even that difficult to adapt compared to some other manga.

On topic, manga like Spirit Circle, Hoshi no Samidare or Imawa no Kuni no Alice can work well as adaptations. Not hidden gems by any means, but they are much easier to be adapted in anime format.

How is a manga that has been hardly translated to other languages (as far as I know, there is only an italian version of it) "popular"? Might have some members on MAL, but that does not apply out there. I know is more difficult to have a proper adaptation of Berserk or Vagabond, which are artistically strict and long, but is not that "easy" to do.
Nov 7, 2019 7:14 AM

Jun 2017
Not really a hiddem gem. It probably wouldn't be a good adaptation, as doing a worthy adaptation of a light novel as brilliant as this would probably be impossible, but I'd like this masterpiece to get the attention of many more people:
Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria(HakoMari for short)
Nov 7, 2019 7:21 AM
Jul 2018
PentagramShogoki said:
Timeless- said:

How is a manga that has been hardly translated to other languages (as far as I know, there is only an italian version of it) "popular"? Might have some members on MAL, but that does not apply out there. I know is more difficult to have a proper adaptation of Berserk or Vagabond, which are artistically strict and long, but is not that "easy" to do.

It's ranked 188 here in MAL for popularity(and top 200 for ratings), so I would say it's quite popular and doesn't really apply as "hidden gems". It's one of the first manga which is recommended for martial arts/action in other sites too so yeah. Many popular manga(like Kingdom) don't even get official English scanlations anyway so that "translated to other languages" logic doesn't matter much in this context.

No manga is "easy" to adapt, but something like Holyland is comparatively much easier to adapt than say something like Kokou no Hito, which is present there as similar recommendations.
Nov 7, 2019 7:27 AM

Aug 2018
Timeless- said:
PentagramShogoki said:

It's ranked 188 here in MAL for popularity(and top 200 for ratings), so I would say it's quite popular and doesn't really apply as "hidden gems". It's one of the first manga which is recommended for martial arts/action in other sites too so yeah. Many popular manga(like Kingdom) don't even get official English scanlations anyway so that "translated to other languages" logic hardly matters.

No manga is "easy" to adapt, but something like Holyland is comparatively much easier to adapt than say something like Kokou no Hito, which is present there as similar recommendations.

When I refer to popularity, again, is not only MAL-refered. It is well known here in MAL, even in 1/3 of the popularity is because people has it on "Plan to Read" (like 13000 people against 16000 completed), but out there has not been really popular outside Japan, and I doubt it is popular in Japan itself or was. Kingdom has a really heavy fandom in countries like France, they requested to have an adaptation and now they are 34 volumes and going, so it did Hajime no Ippo. Kingdom has more "risk" than Holyland, it has +50 volumes against the 18 the fighting manga has.

So as I said, maybe it is not the "most hidden gem", but it is definately not that well known and deserves an adaptation.
Nov 7, 2019 7:32 AM
Jul 2018
PentagramShogoki said:
Timeless- said:

It's ranked 188 here in MAL for popularity(and top 200 for ratings), so I would say it's quite popular and doesn't really apply as "hidden gems". It's one of the first manga which is recommended for martial arts/action in other sites too so yeah. Many popular manga(like Kingdom) don't even get official English scanlations anyway so that "translated to other languages" logic hardly matters.

When I refer to popularity, again, is not only MAL-refered. It is well known here in MAL, even in 1/3 of the popularity is because people has it on "Plan to Read" (like 13000 people against 16000 completed), but out there has not been really popular outside Japan, and I doubt it is popular in Japan itself or was.

Holyland received two live action adaptations before(one of them was a 13 episode drama series) so it was quite popular there.
Nov 7, 2019 7:44 AM

Feb 2019
I would love to see an anime adaption of Dungeon Meshi it has a pretty high score but hardly anyone talks about it.
it's about a party of adventurers who get sidetracked from their quest when they run low on food and their quest transforms into finding, killing and cooking the various monsters of the dungeon.

It’s okay to look back at the past, just don’t stare too long

Nov 7, 2019 7:47 AM

Aug 2018
Timeless- said:
PentagramShogoki said:

When I refer to popularity, again, is not only MAL-refered. It is well known here in MAL, even in 1/3 of the popularity is because people has it on "Plan to Read" (like 13000 people against 16000 completed), but out there has not been really popular outside Japan, and I doubt it is popular in Japan itself or was.

Holyland received two live action adaptations before(one of them was a 13 episode drama series) so it was quite popular there.

Well that is true. One of them is korean so I suppose they liked and was well known as well.
Nov 7, 2019 7:56 AM

May 2012
I actually want an original anime. The market is already full of adaptions to the extent that I consider this medium as a mere advertising platform for quite some years now.

However, I assume Nijigahara Holograph would work quite well as a Pulp Fiction-style of movie since both share a lot of similarities (Structure/crazy characters/narrative technique).
My Rereads | My Favorite Mangaka | Soylent Green

Buy stuff, or buy at least your favorites if you can afford it - Don't be lame.

D W-W&N 🤍

MAL is a far cry from being my main literature site, that's why I won't be doing mere single chapter updates anymore. Manga- aka Baka-Updates + 2 French ones are miles better and more thorough/complete + less restricting. The latter are perfectly suited for Manga/Light Novel/Books collectors such as myself. Less stressful/tiring this way. -g-
Nov 7, 2019 8:06 AM

Aug 2013
Since sexual oriented stuff is produced regurarly, I'd like an adaption of Sundome. By no means a perfect manga, not even that unknown judging by MAL popularity, but it could work very well.
Nov 7, 2019 8:11 AM

Nov 2007
Ranobe: Robot Heart Update

Manga:
Ohayou, Ibarahime (Completed)
Boku to Kimi no Taisetsu na Hanashi (Ongoing)
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Nov 7, 2019 11:44 AM
May 2016
Digibro's Trapped In My Own Shitty Light Novel After Killing Myself, Might As Well Court the Goddess!
Nov 7, 2019 11:49 AM

Nov 2017
Jigokuraku comes to mind among popular manga, maybe chainsawman
I'd love to see Oyasumi Punpun, but that's not happening anytime soon.
Some cute ones like hibi chouchou, or Ijiranaide Nagatoro-san
I sold my life for 10 thousand yen could be decent

But the ones i wanna see animated the most are Horimiya and Tonikaku Kawaii
Nov 7, 2019 11:52 AM

Sep 2014
Yotsuba& 12 years later and I'm still waiting.
Nov 7, 2019 12:05 PM
Aug 2015
There is a lot of novels I want animes for so I will list a few

https://www.novelupdates.com/series/%e3%80%8comae-gotoki-ga-maou-ni-kateru-to-omou-na%e3%80%8d-to-yuusha-party-wo-tsuihou-sareta-no-de-outo-de-kimama-ni-kurashitai/

dark yuri fantasy (not an isekai), it was definitely a bit inspired by Uzumaki

https://www.novelupdates.com/series/there-was-no-secret-organization-to-fight-with-the-worlds-darkness-so-i-made-one-in-exasperation/

guy gets telekinesis, trains it a ton but there isn't any antagonist for him; his reaction to that is to make a secret organisation and make an enemy for the organisation

https://www.novelupdates.com/series/i-got-reincarnated-and-mistaken-as-a-genius/

the main character is reincarnated and constantly mistaken for a genius, tons of things coincidentally happen that make him look a lot better than he is

https://www.novelupdates.com/series/i-favor-the-villainess/

possibly my favourite yuri novel, the protagonist reincarnates into an otome game but instead of going for the male capture targets she goes for the villainess
Nov 7, 2019 12:05 PM

Nov 2013
10 Dance
10 Dance
10 Dance
10 Dance
10 Dance
10 Dance
10 Dance
10 Dance
10 Dance
it should get an anime
Nov 7, 2019 12:23 PM
Aug 2018
-To Your eternity. 10/10
This is one of my favorite manga, made by the same creator of A silent voice (so you already know that its gonna both look good and make you feel). Its such a great manga that i rarely hear anyone ever talk or know about. Its about this immortal creature that can take form of anything as long as its dead. This long living creature goes through so many lifes and periods of history. Its a masterpiece that more People should read, and i think an anime would help get Peoples attention toward it.

-Ao no flag. 10/10
This manga doesnt do anything spesial so that everyone needs to read it, however its simply great at what it does. The style of the manga makes for both really funny moments, but also amazing and emotional moments. The characters are realistic in their struggles with the selfs that they want to become. Its simply great at what it does.

-Regarding the display of an outrageous skill which has Incredible Power.
Yes, the only isekai and Cooking show i have ever liked. This is just a weird personal pick so i wont feel anything if it never gets an anime. The comedy and characters just give me that good vibe. You can probably Guess how the show is gonna be. A guy finds himself in another world, but isnt actually wanted or needed so he is just kinda left to do whatever. So its just the relaxing day to day of a guy making Food for his giant wolf and baby slime while also killing monsters. Just a Nice break from the rest of the shows with some Nice comedic moments.

-Iris Zero.
This show does what My hero academia started out as. A world where everyone is spesial, and the rare People who arent gets left alone. The difference is that this show isnt about saving worlds, but dealing with School mentality. The character both have unique Powers (Lie detector, Worthy, etc) as well as good personalities with different Arcs covering each characters Power and a social issue. I do believe that this show will eventually get an anime once it got a couple of more Chapters so the first season can have a Nice conclussion to pack it all up.

-Monogatari series (Even though its most likely going to happen either way).
At first i didnt get the hype, but once i got into it with the second season, oh boy. Its a great series with amazing Arcs (and a couple meh ones but lets forget those since im never going to watch them again). Personally i found Owarimonogatari second season to be a Perfect ending, but then they made Zoku owarimonogatari. Now i cant help myself being even more curious about their lives after School. Theres alot more books in the series, but they havent been translated due to the series unique writting style making it hard to perfecly translate. With so many more books in the series, i cant wait for more.

(Just going to mention a few other good manga that could potentially make great shows)
-Komi-san wa, Comyushou desu. Great comedy.
-Secretly, ive been suffering about being sexless. more People should read this short manga. If not this, maybe the other manga made by the same creator?
-Again!!

And lastly a manwha since im never gonna find another time to talk about it:
-Super Secret.
Its just a Sweet romance with some supernatural elements in the mix. Just a Sweet read that would make a Nice show.
Nov 7, 2019 1:28 PM

May 2019
Bijin Onna Joushi Takizawa-san and Kawaii Joushi wa Komarasetai are both cute as hell and really fun + office romcoms are a pretty untapped genre in anime since high school romcoms still tend to be preferred.

Kanojo no Carrera has cute girls racing in 90s European sports cars, as well as the slice of life foolery of someone with no car knowledge suddenly getting a high performance car. The licensing for all the different cars is probably one of the main issues that'd stop it from ever getting animated tho.

Crossbone Gundam is my favorite Gundam manga, and has had numerous appearances in Gundam games, and even Super Robot Wars lately. I don't know why Sunrise seems so averse to animating this, meanwhile they recently teased at a Moon Gundam anime adaptation.

A proper adaptation of Rosario+Vampire that actually goes into the more action oriented and plot heavy elements that come into the manga later on would be nice.
Nov 7, 2019 3:35 PM
Jul 2018
Shoulder a Coffin Kuro

The only good thing to come out of Manga Time Kirara (come at me bro) and it's the only one that doesn't have an anime. :/
Nov 7, 2019 3:43 PM

Apr 2015
Well, Spy x Family surely gets anime adaptation as soon as enough chapters are released in the manga.

I really hope great detective manga like Q.E.D. and Kako to Nisei to get anime adaptation.. as they are 1000% better than Detective Conan

Try reading Spy x Family Manga ^_^
U will love it, i promise...
Nov 7, 2019 3:55 PM
Jul 2018
KE777 said:
Not really a hiddem gem. It probably wouldn't be a good adaptation, as doing a worthy adaptation of a light novel as brilliant as this would probably be impossible, but I'd like this masterpiece to get the attention of many more people:
Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria(HakoMari for short)
I don't think you can adapt a bunch of volumes of this because their plot twists wouldn't work in an anime format.

OT: I need a NoWaYu anime. And the rest of the MahoIku arcs would be nice too.
Nov 7, 2019 4:22 PM
Jul 2018
Übel Blatt by Madhouse would be nice.
Nov 7, 2019 4:28 PM
Apr 2018

• Three Days of Happiness (aka I sold my life for 10,000 yen per year): Just a great manga and LN that is beautifully melancholic.
  • Act-age: Amazing manga about a girl taking her method acting to the extreme.
  • 86-Eighty-Six-: Popular award-winning Dengeki Bunko LN that draws inspiration from Holocaust and Japanese American internment and is heavily anti-war. Basically a fusion of Attack on Titan, Code Geass: Akito the Exiled, and Valkyria Chronicles 3 with darker themes.
Nov 7, 2019 4:37 PM

Sep 2019
Ani no Yome to Kurashite Imasu and Tatoe todokanu ita to shitemo ( So i can get more lesbians in anime )
Onani Master Kurosawa ( An absolute must )
Ookami Shounen wa Kyou mo Uso wo Kasaneru ( Traps aren't gay x) )
Jumyou Kaitotte ( An excellent nihilism manga )
Tongari Boushi no Atelier and Majo no Tabitabi ( There's not many anime with witches as its main focus.... so i hope these kind of manga gets an adaptation x) )
Taiyou no ie ( A sweet and simple sol manga )
Shinigami wo Tabeta Shoujo ( I don't know... i just want to see a scythe wielding loli gets adapted to an anime )

Danmachi, Sket Dance, Tegamibachi, D Gray Man, Magi, Oregairu, Konosuba ( Unrelated but.... i need s3! )

Wandering Witch is the best light novel ever!
Nov 7, 2019 4:37 PM
May 2018
Hrybami said:
There is always hope. Unfortunately, the author said he didn't want to see yotsuba adapted, but I hope he has changed his mind, and also that he wrote faster.
Anyway, a KyoAni adaptation of it would be perfect, but impossible, since they don't own it.
Nov 7, 2019 4:43 PM

Sep 2014
Carvana said:
Hrybami said:
There is always hope. Unfortunately, the author said he didn't want to see yotsuba adapted, but I hope he has changed his mind, and also that he wrote faster.
Anyway, a KyoAni adaptation of it would be perfect, but impossible, since they don't own it.

Yeah he decided that after being unsatisfied with the adaptation of Azumanga Daioh. Oh C'mon Azumanga Daioh was in 2002. Things must have changed since then. I hope he will change his mind one day.
Nov 7, 2019 4:53 PM

Jun 2012
At the moment I'm enjoying Dungeon Meshi. There are some really good light-hearted seinen series out there that don't see the light of day, like Yotsuba as well.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Nov 7, 2019 6:05 PM
Jan 2015
An adaptation of 86 would make me a very happy camper
My Queens

Dec 25, 2019 5:22 PM
Dec 25, 2019 5:58 PM

Dec 2012
I'd rather have them finish adapting all the interesting manga and light novel series they already started first....there are hundreds of them...
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Dec 25, 2019 9:22 PM

Jan 2019
First off, I don’t read much (I’ve been meaning to try some manga but we’ll see) so take my opinions with a grain of salt. I HAVE NOT read these manga series’ but I’ve read the basic synopses for them and they sound really cute:

Perfect World - It’s about this young couple that rekindle their romance after dating in high school only the guy is now crippled and in a wheelchair. The manga only has 9 volumes and I recently read that it’s “wrapping up soon”. The series isn’t that long; it would be an easy 22-25 episode anime series and, let me tell you, I think it could have the potential to be another Your Lie in April albeit probably not quite that sad but I wouldn’t know because I haven’t read it. I will say when I first read the synopsis for Perfect World I literally thought I was going to cry; even the covers of the manga are so touching! OMGosh YES! An anime of that manga could be absolutely beautiful!

Love in Focus - Now I’m sure there are other anime series’ about photography clubs but I’ve never seen one so when I saw this manga I thought it looked like something that had a familiar plot with a unique twist. Again, it could be a trashy series but it looked cute anyways.

Short Cake Cake - Wow! That name is so fun to say! Lol Anyways, another shoujo series that looks very cute. Blue-haired female protagonist? Sign me up! As with the one before, it has a familiar plot with the same old shoujo tropes but it looked cute and I’ve actually heard some pretty good things about it (correct me if I’m wrong but I’ve heard the humor and emotions of the characters are a step above your typical shoujo series). It looks like it would make a really funny rom/com so I’d love to see it adapted into an anime.
Dec 26, 2019 2:29 AM
Jul 2018
If they were spare with the skating animation in Yuri on Ice, studios would go bankrupt with Hikari no Densetsu rhythmic gymnastics animation, even if they opted for cgi and rotoscoping No wonder older series lasted only 19 episodes and adapted only 3 out of 16 volumes and that was in the more richly animated 80s, while also using the same musical score . Listened to one of the classical music pieces mentioned in the manga and Bananarama Venus if done properly this would have been the best and most artistic sports anime.
Dec 26, 2019 3:01 AM
Ecchi_no_Ou

Oct 2018
Regarding those that I finished, I'll say any of the following should - well, they must - have Anime adaptations:

-> Jumyou wo Kaitotte Moratta. Ichinen ni Tsuki, Ichimanen de (I sold my life for ten thousand yen per year.)
The BEST manga I've ever read. I think there are no words to describe it. 100/10

-> Half & Half
A beautiful love story with a touch of the supernatural. And the end... well, read it and you'll know!

-> Kanojo ni Naru Hi (The day he becomes a girl)
Wow, this one really surprised me. After 2 or 3 chapters I knew this one would jump to my favourites' list. Don't be scared/fooled by the 'gender-bender' tag. It has much more to offer.

-> Tokidoki
Another 'small' surprise. Best One-Shot manga I read. This one deserves an OVA or a short 1-hour Movie.

And then, these two also deserve an adaptation but I still didn't finish them:

-> Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria (The Empty Box and Zeroth Maria) - Planning to complete this one in January...
-> Fumetsu no Anata e (To Your Eternity) - Argh, the waiting... Still publishing...

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you perfer Split Cour or Consecutive Cour?

animegamer245 - 2 hours ago

10 by Ten »»
4 minutes ago

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - Today

16 by billybub »»
4 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18? ( 1 2 )

bluefin2004 - Yesterday

55 by Fischer77 »»
19 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

239 by TitanOfPlasma »»
28 minutes ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

60 by Alpha_1_Zero »»
30 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.