Forum Settings
Forums

Aren't underrated shows essentially shows with low scores on this site?

New
Oct 8, 2019 8:59 PM

Jan 2019
How do you guys define underrated in the context of this site. For me its shows that are guilty pleasures that I know have objective flaws. And give some examples if possible.
Oct 8, 2019 9:00 PM

Oct 2017
I think the common definition of underrated here is a generally highly scored and well-liked show that just doesn't have a ton of members and isn't seen commonly in discussions.
Oct 8, 2019 9:15 PM

Nov 2017
Something with historical or cultural significance that isn't quite properly appreciated by the majority. I can't remember any examples in animanga, but basically all pre-Lord of the Rings fantasy would fit the bill. Alternatively, something you like a lot more than the people around you. In my case, Kyousougiga and Diebuster are probably the top contenders. Also, yeah, pretty much what @Dolabella said.
Oct 8, 2019 10:11 PM

Jan 2019
I think an underrated show is a show that's got a really high score and is really well liked, but isn't all that well known.
You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become irrelevant.
Oct 8, 2019 10:15 PM

Jan 2009
underrated = rated under lol so scored lower essentially but to me members count of an anime page is whats more important especially for the profit making of the anime industry, popular shows tend to have lower scores too like the long running series for example Bleach and Naruto so who cares about lower score if they can profit from it
Oct 9, 2019 8:27 AM

Oct 2017
Just google the meaning of underrated, pretty easy. Using that you could say it's based upon ranking, popularity, and/or the no. of favorites it has.
Oct 9, 2019 8:45 AM

Jun 2019
If the shows has more "Plan to watch" numbers than "Completed" ,I'd consider it underrated.
Apparently, Gintama is underrated too!

ブレ
ブレ
ブレ
ブレ

Oct 25, 2019 10:13 PM

Jan 2019
deg said:
underrated = rated under lol so scored lower essentially but to me members count of an anime page is whats more important especially for the profit making of the anime industry, popular shows tend to have lower scores too like the long running series for example Bleach and Naruto so who cares about lower score if they can profit from it
Yea people use it more in the context of how popular it is as opposed to its actual rating out of ten.
Oct 25, 2019 10:18 PM
Jul 2018
There are some shows that are genuinely good that have low scores for some reason, Appmon is an egregious example since it's clear most of the people rating it didn't finish it. Those are underrated.

Many shows with low scores have a low score for a reason. Those are not underrated.
Oct 25, 2019 10:28 PM

May 2019
Espio74 said:
How do you guys define underrated in the context of this site. For me its shows that are guilty pleasures that I know have objective flaws. And give some examples if possible.

To me they are the shows that are objectively good but aren't meant for everyone to enjoy. Like serial experiments lain, ergo proxy, paranoia agent etc... You get the point.
Don't be a self pretentious that is the most gayest thing ever
English Dubs are better than subs
You all have anime profile pic so you opinion doesn't count
Your Waifu is trash
Cory in the house is the best anime
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFQQALduhzA
Japanese are one of the most xenophobic nations
My Anime List looks like a website from 1990s
Oct 25, 2019 10:43 PM

Nov 2017
What even is "objectively good", though? What is a "genuinely good show" that a lot of people don't really like all that much? I find something being "good" to be entirely up to the subjective opinion of whomever is making the claim, so saying something is good but scored low is basically the same as saying "other people like this thing less than I like this thing".
Oct 25, 2019 11:05 PM

May 2009
Espio74 said:
Aren't underrated shows essentially shows with low scores on this site?
Dolabella said:
I think the common definition of underrated here is a generally highly scored and well-liked show that just doesn't have a ton of members and isn't seen commonly in discussions.
I think I've seen both of these definitions used around here.

Or more accurately, the low score one would be "shows with low scores on this site that I think deserve higher scores", for whichever shows the speaker feels deserve higher scores.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Oct 25, 2019 11:14 PM
Jul 2018
Dolabella said:

That's "overlooked", completely different from "underrated".
Oct 25, 2019 11:16 PM
Aug 2019
I agree op, million arthur had 2 seasons and a wonderful dub, it's underrated af, it was on par with granblue fantasy if you ask me
tho I say it's "overlooked" not underrated, people who watched it pretty much liked it, idk why some anime become like that, like there's no enough ads ?
Oct 25, 2019 11:30 PM
Jul 2018
Is the discussion of things with the words "overrated" and "underrated" the new trend in MAL? Let me break things down on how the word underrated is used.

MAL's and the majority of the Internet's definition:

What it actually means (according to Google):

What it also actually means (according to my own words):

I might as well put what I said in another thread:
TheKawaiiToon said:
If there's one thing the internet confuses a lot, it's the words "overrated" and "underrated". Both words can go through two different meanings:
A bad popular show and a good unpopular show (which is the meaning most people use when saying "overrated" and "underrated")
or
A bad high rated show and a good low rated show.
For the former, the real terms are "over appreciated" and "underappreciated". But it's quite a word full to say those so saying "overrated" and "underrated" is a bit easier.

Oct 26, 2019 12:49 AM

Nov 2017
TheKawaiiToon said:

TheKawaiiToon said:
If there's one thing the internet confuses a lot, it's the words "overrated" and "underrated". Both words can go through two different meanings:
A bad popular show and a good unpopular show (which is the meaning most people use when saying "overrated" and "underrated")
or
A bad high rated show and a good low rated show.
For the former, the real terms are "over appreciated" and "underappreciated". But it's quite a word full to say those so saying "overrated" and "underrated" is a bit easier.

Merriam-Webster lists "underrated" as a synonym for "underappreciated", and while there is no such thing as an exact synonym, the difference in meaning and usage between the two seems negligible. Google, meanwhile, defines underrated via the word "underestimate", which itself is a synonym of "underrated", albeit one with a clearly different usage. Trying to give clear, prescriptive definitions to words with rather vague definitions and usage seems somewhat misguided to me.
Oct 26, 2019 12:51 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
I just use Yosuga no Sora as a benchmark ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

More topics from this board

» Have you ever divorced your waifu? (ex-waifu)

EndlessMaria - Aug 12, 2022

40 by MeltyGutz »»
29 seconds ago

Poll: » Have y'all seen Rainbow?

MillerEvans23 - 32 minutes ago

4 by ToG25thBaam »»
1 minute ago

» Things you are jealous of in anime ( 1 2 )

IpreferEcchi - Apr 20

54 by Luchipher-Zen »»
1 minute ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

64 by GoatPieceLuffy »»
24 minutes ago

» Is there an anime character who looks like you in real life?

Alpha_1_Zero - 8 hours ago

18 by Maou_heika »»
39 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.