Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 24, 2019 5:45 AM

Jan 2019
I haven't finished steel ball run yet (I'm about chapter 42) but this is bothering me, I love the spin, I think it's a great sustitute for Hamon, but stands... they are no more those "Evil spirits" with their own cool desings and a lot of charm that made this series great, now they are no different from having a quirk on Mha or a devil fruit in one piece, like turning into a dinosaur, magnetism (we already got this in part3) or a fucking can that sprays flesh.

Don't get me wrong, I'm loving this part, Gyro is a fucking amazing character, and jhonny is progressing little by little, but I don't know why araki did this all of a sudden.

What are your thoughts on this? do you consider it a good change?

Sep 24, 2019 8:59 AM
Jul 2018
Araki did this to get away from the complex stands of part 6 also to get the thematics of part 1 where there was no stands. Steel ball shares themes of part 1 - 3 so stands are simple like the ones in 3, hamon is spin.

I liked it character's had to use their abilities cleverly not just have a stupid deus machina like heavy weather.

Finish the manga or get close to the end before making your mind up about stands in SBR.
Sep 24, 2019 9:34 AM
Jul 2018
JeXxTaR said:
TheFisherMan- said:
Araki did this to get away from the complex stands of part 6 also to get the thematics of part 1 where there was no stands. Steel ball shares themes of part 1 - 3 so stands are simple like the ones in 3, hamon is spin.

I liked it character's had to use their abilities cleverly not just have a stupid deus machina like heavy weather.

Finish the manga or get close to the end before making your mind up about stands in SBR.

Heavy weather isn't a deus ex machina, and its not really more complex to understand than the spin or D4C

Okay not a deus ex manchina both Heavy Weather and D4C are simple but Araki made it obvious what D4C can't do but Heavy Weather had multiple things it could do. In the end it wasn't even weather what part of blood spikes is connected to weather?

Sep 25, 2019 9:40 AM

Jan 2019
TheFisherMan- said:
. In the end it wasn't even weather what part of blood spikes is connected to weather?

He froze the air around the blood, I think that's the explication they gave, but I also think that was kind of an asspull

Sep 25, 2019 10:49 AM
Aug 2011
Who even needs stands when we've got Sexy Gyro Sexy Zeppeli? and daddy Diego Brando
Oct 29, 2019 6:02 AM

Jun 2009
tbh this was one of the things I really liked about SBR. It was a refreshing new take on Stands, which was really needed imo.

Stands are somewhat back to the more classic way in part 8.

Nov 8, 2019 7:08 PM

Aug 2015
For me there is a very simple reason: power scaling.

If you notice, series like SBR, FMA and Hunter x Hunter got better balance in terms of fights, powers and consistency than One Piece, Naruto and Dragon Ball. Everything goes into the scale of those powers.

SBR have way more complex stands, but at the same time they feel more flexible, so Araki can do more things once they collide against others. Also, SBR is very cowboy-gun heavy, so Johnny and Gyro basically have guns as stands. Hol Horse (the entire horse) would fit perfectly with his Emperor.

But at the final chapters some stands get really crazy in terms of powers. For me SBR treated stands way better than any previous parts. Whether it was Star platinum always doing everything, or just some broken shit on Stone Ocean, I still prefer when thinks makes more sense (in a Jojo way, because of course nothing makes sense here).
Nov 11, 2019 11:35 PM

Nov 2018
I think SBR was a refreshing take on JoJo, The Old West setting was something i loved about the part, and It really felt like what Araki was going for with part 1. As far as stands, just get a few more chapters in. SBR's First half is a bit slow, but it pays off in terms of character development. SBR has some of the best characters in the entire JoJo Franchise, And the best story (Excluding part 8 because i haven't read it yet).
Nov 14, 2019 7:38 AM
Jul 2018
That's a good thing actually. Just look at what a clusterfuck stands turned into in parts 5 to 6... I'm happy Araki moved away from those.
Nov 14, 2019 7:59 AM
Jul 2016
Dakago said:
That's a good thing actually. Just look at what a clusterfuck stands turned into in parts 5 to 6... I'm happy Araki moved away from those.

Nah, stands in parts 5 and 6 are top notch imo, the more weird, confussing and unique the stands are, the better.
Jul 16, 2021 2:37 PM
May 2015
The escalation of Stand use is as follows:

Stardust Crusaders - Stands are used by a few special people.

Diamond is Unbreakable - Stands are used by working people (chef, hairdresser, students).

Golden Wind - Stands are used by hitmen.

Stone Ocean - Stands are used by priests and prisoners.

Yeah, I think going back to the SC/DIU days was better. Powers shouldn't be too commonplace, the rarer they are the more time they get for display and the cooler their value is.
Jul 16, 2021 4:59 PM
May 2020
I guess you can say, stand aren't standing no more
Mar 21, 2022 4:23 AM

Dec 2020
I agree. I missed the cool designs of "spirits".

Riskinio said:
I guess you can say, stand aren't standing no more

Lol
Mar 21, 2022 4:30 AM
Jul 2018
I love part 6 and all but the stands were brazzzzy
I think that part 7 did a good job toning it down
It was kinda refreshing knowing the limits of a stand lmao

More topics from this board

» Can i skip parts and read this?

PermanentHaki - Apr 1

41 by Blueberry173 »»
Apr 15, 7:30 PM

Poll: » JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken Part 7: Steel Ball Run Chapter 96 Discussion

federgolo - Nov 18, 2016

37 by Shibas_StonedAF »»
Apr 9, 3:45 AM

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 7: Steel Ball Run Chapter 5 Discussion

Beatnik - Oct 1, 2009

24 by jiminybillybob »»
Apr 5, 1:15 PM

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 7: Steel Ball Run Chapter 27 Discussion

Stark700 - May 31, 2014

19 by Wiziliz »»
Mar 21, 8:00 AM

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 7: Steel Ball Run Chapter 89 Discussion

grandy_UiD - Apr 25, 2012

36 by animalia »»
Mar 5, 11:15 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.