Forum Settings
Forums

Anime recommendations based on favorites: Kill la Kill, Elfen Lied, Highschool DxD

New
Sep 21, 2019 7:05 PM

Sep 2019
When asked for "anime similar to Kill la Kill", people mostly mention Gurren Lagann and FLCL -- I started watching these, but couldn't really get into them, as they seem to be based far too much on "let's throw some random plot elements together".

Whether I like an anime or not depends on whether after watching a few episodes, I wish to know how the story continues. KlK does this, TTGL and FLCL not at all.

Generally, I like anime about cute girls who are also tough and intelligent, such as Matoi Ryuko and Rias Gremory. Fanservice/ecchi is okay.

Surrealist or absurd elements are great. That's why I also liked Flip Flappers.

Elfen Lied is a special case, as it tries to merge "ultra moe" with "ultraviolence" -- and succeeds, creating an interesting story.

----

BTW, my anti-favorite, that is, most hated anime that I ever attempted watching is Panty and Stocking, as I find it dumb, gross and annoyingly stupid.
Sep 21, 2019 10:49 PM
Jul 2019
Those 3 are not real similar to one another but here:
Another
Serial experiments lain
Madoka magica
Parasyte (highly recommended)
death parade
Made in abyss
Ergo proxy
Blood+
Mirai nikki
Vinland saga (a great one thats currently airing if you're not watching that)
Space dandy
Little witch academia
Dead leaves
Monogatari series (a lot of dialogue and very story based, but one my all time favs)
rosario vampire
To love ru
Trinity seven
Testament of sister new devil
Date a live
Freezing
Campione!
Sep 22, 2019 10:56 AM

Jun 2013
You could try:
Oda Nobuna no Yabou
Kyoukai No Kanata
or
Working!

if you want, you could check out my video list that has a few animes that you suggested, and might help you find something else similar to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2feTyYQBFyQ
Sep 22, 2019 11:43 AM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
If you haven't already, check out the "recommendations" section for each of those anime first (sorry for assuming, but it's always a good start for looking)
https://myanimelist.net/anime/18679/Kill_la_Kill/userrecs
https://myanimelist.net/anime/226/Elfen_Lied/userrecs
https://myanimelist.net/anime/11617/High_School_DxD/userrecs

Anyway, aside from checking there...
Sep 22, 2019 3:34 PM

May 2012
Oh! Edo Rocket is adapted from a theatrical script by the screenwriter for both Gurren Lagann and Kill la Kill, Nakashima Kazuki. (He also wrote the script for the film Promare now playing in limited engagements.) Rocket is a sci-fi satirical comedy set during the Tenpou Reforms when popular entertainments were banned. This poses a problem for our hero, a fireworks maker, who cannot legitimately pursue his craft. His life changes when a strange young woman asks him to build her a rocket to the moon. Made by the original Madhouse in 2007.

Sep 22, 2019 4:40 PM

Jul 2013
higurashi
akuma no riddle
Sep 22, 2019 9:16 PM
Jul 2018
Elfen Lied creator also did Brynhildr in the Darkness, though anime adaptation sucks

If you read manga and liked klk, read the manga Cloth Road that inspired klk
Sep 23, 2019 6:46 AM

Sep 2019
THX a lot for all these suggestions!
Sep 23, 2019 10:12 AM

May 2016
You should check Akame ga Kill since I think it fits with everything you're looking for.
You can also give a chance to Re:Creators, Date A Live (since you like harem features), and Shakugan no Shana

More topics from this board

» Tense, exciting Anime with big mysteries?

Fckthwrld - 36 minutes ago

4 by Zarutaku »»
6 minutes ago

» Real Robot Anime

PlasticRobot - 8 minutes ago

0 by PlasticRobot »»
8 minutes ago

» Almost cyberpunk sci-fi anime

Eternal-Destiny - Apr 25

11 by rejote »»
33 minutes ago

» Rec fantasy/isekai anime without OP MC

D5rkUnl0ck3r - Yesterday

4 by rejote »»
37 minutes ago

» Looking for a girl with a revolver

Nagi_Karman - 5 hours ago

5 by JoeChip »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.