Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 14, 2019 9:15 AM
Mar 2019
I feel they kinda missed the essence of it all. For 10 minutes they did scenes that directly opposed the manga storyline, adapted the whole first volume and implied none of the Doctor's inner turmoil about being unable to protect Shiva. Displayed was only his affection towards her, but there wouldn't be much of it, if there was nothing to protect her from. The whole of the first volume was about how the dangers she encounters because of him and his decisions drive him into obsession. He lies, he forgets, he's inept, but she's the only contact he can have without feeling corrupted and blamed for his nature, because she finds him fun and odd and appreciates his efforts. Showing only his fear of being abandoned (thinking Shiva ran away) and his desire to be with her (his fantasy of hugging her on the boat) rings shallow and obscene without any of that context.
So, for the 10 minutes they had, they could've picked a slower pace and a different approach.

For a standalone it's weaker still. Lots of other shorts like this out there with better use of abstract animation and lack of dialogue.

Better luck next time, I guess. If any studio decides to do a proper adaptation, I hope they employ a different team. Better to be black&white too, as with the upcoming Uzumaki OVA. The manga has some very unique panels that would never work in color and it shows here.
sarazanmaiSep 14, 2019 9:31 AM
Sep 14, 2019 11:44 AM

Dec 2016
where did you watch this? and how long is it?
AnimeFreak-San said:
is this a male gender issure...human issue...mental illness perhaps?
Sep 14, 2019 12:12 PM

Dec 2018
photophobic said:
where did you watch this? and how long is it?

It's 10 minutes, it's up on torrenting sites.
Sep 15, 2019 4:00 AM

Jul 2013
I don't know I haven't read the manga at all and this I thought was really sweet. It for me gives a basic idea of the manga without giving any major spoilers. It feels like a 10-minute trailer honestly. I thought the art style was very soft and comforting while allowing for it to have darker moments and be unique. Probably gonna go buy the manga soon just because I thought this was that good lol.
Sep 15, 2019 6:46 PM

Jun 2015
sarazanmai said:
Lots of stuff

Even though I haven't read the manga I feel like you're missing the point. This is a 10 minute standalone OVA, it couldn't possibly communicate all the things that you've mentioned from the manga, so instead they opted to convey the atmosphere and overall vibe. This is more of a teaser, a proof of concept, and as such I think it succeded beautifully. It looked amazing, sounded amazing, was very heartwarming and made me want to read the source material, which I think was the whole point.

And I don't understand what you mean by "and it shows" when the art was absolutely fantastic all the way through. I think you have your standards a little too high. You should try reading the Berserk manga and then watching the anime to see what an actual bad adaptation is. *sob*
AnotherGuySep 15, 2019 6:57 PM
Sep 15, 2019 7:27 PM
Apr 2019
As someone who has read the manga, I felt that the OVA was absolutely successful in capturing the overall atmosphere of the original work. Not only was the art and animation tremendous (I wasn't quite sure Wit Studio could pull it off), but in the time given to them they conveyed what they needed to solely through visual storytelling rather than any audible dialogue (which I believe takes some skill). Generally, it was a proof of concept that I think showed that they could pick this series up as a full fledged show and be able to do the source material justice. Would that the anime gods were so gracious.
Sep 15, 2019 8:06 PM
Jul 2018
It's supposed to be for people who have actually read the manga (hence why it was bundled with volume 8). It has an artistic focus, and isn't meant to be 1:1. Of course, I hope for a full adaptation, and perhaps the earnings from this short will go towards that, but there's nothing here that deserves complaint.
Sep 28, 2019 4:48 PM
Jul 2018
The only underwhelming thing about this was that it was not a full cour adaptation.
Oct 8, 2019 12:43 PM
Feb 2017
moe_shark said:
The only underwhelming thing about this was that it was not a full cour adaptation.

100% correct :( do they plan on making one otherwise i will be sad forever
Apr 25, 2022 2:24 PM
Jan 2020
LifeIsStress said:
As someone who has read the manga, I felt that the OVA was absolutely successful in capturing the overall atmosphere of the original work. Not only was the art and animation tremendous (I wasn't quite sure Wit Studio could pull it off), but in the time given to them they conveyed what they needed to solely through visual storytelling rather than any audible dialogue (which I believe takes some skill). Generally, it was a proof of concept that I think showed that they could pick this series up as a full fledged show and be able to do the source material justice. Would that the anime gods were so gracious.
why would you not think wit would be able too lmao they are on fire rn

More topics from this board

Poll: » Totsukuni no Shoujo Episode 1 Discussion

Tsarko - Sep 14, 2019

43 by Devonnius »»
Feb 18, 5:24 PM

» how much does it cover from manga?

BEEKAT - Dec 16, 2021

1 by UnbakedToast »»
Dec 16, 2021 2:54 PM

» Anime or manga

Sorin-Skkkrrab - Aug 10, 2021

3 by jessslyyyyy »»
Aug 11, 2021 7:27 PM

» Will they maintain the manga art style?

GENDSAMA - Jul 10, 2019

10 by removed-user »»
Sep 18, 2019 8:23 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.