Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Sep 1, 2019 12:18 PM

Oct 2013
In many discussions on the Internet, including several ones on MAL, I noticed that many Arifureta's fans advertised this franchise as something unique among shows who are labelled as isekai. Each time somebody countered their arguments by saying, in example, that there were isekai-based animes or mangas with either betrayed main character or with their own, original looking world, I read "but Arifureta is something different".

I dunno how does it look like in the source material. I judge Arifureta by looking at its anime, which is not good (to put it lightly, lol). However I can't imagine it being something "different than your regular isekai show", whether this adaptation is bad or not.

The core of its concept is definitely your regular isekai, lol. Just look at it:
- main character dragged accidentally to another world against his will? Checked!
- fantasy world similar to many out there? Checked!
- main character ascending that high to become overpowered on terms of powers? Checked!
- main character willing to get out as fast as it is possible? Checked!
- MC's has harem and it is getting bigger? Checked!
- almost every new female character falls in love in main character and joins his harem? Checked!
- main character having a special mission, even if he is not aware of it? Checked!

Look, I'm not hating Arifureta or isekai as a genre, even if I am not a fan of it. I just want to know what is special in Arifureta that makes it different from other isekais. Because looking at the anime adaptation I don't see anything special. Maybe source material presents something original? I would like to hear opinions from people familiar with it.
Sep 1, 2019 12:28 PM
Feb 2017
Yeah from an anime-only view point, Arifureta is just generic af. People said the Shield Hero wasn't like any other isekai story, and look how that turned out.
Sep 1, 2019 12:38 PM

Oct 2013
BlakexEkalb said:
Yeah from an anime-only view point, Arifureta is just generic af. People said the Shield Hero wasn't like any other isekai story, and look how that turned out.

Exactly, but if we compare Shield Hero to Arifureta then the latter show is way, way more generic. At least Shield Hero tried to be something different in its first episodes, having controversial stuff and interesting way of starting the journey. At the same time Arifureta was simply generic from the beginning, making all the elements that might seemed interesting as bland.
Sep 1, 2019 1:35 PM

Oct 2007
5 years into the future when you look back to this present you will ask yourself "why did I even bother making this thread?" I am talking from experience.

Anyway, IMO nowadays, pretty much almost all of isekai shows are usually over-promise while being under-deliver. It is sad to see it end up this way but it is what it is. The formula to create an Isekai show has been perfect and everyone is using this same formula to create their own version while sprinkle their own seasoning into it. I wish those creators could have been a little creative when making a new isekai show. But as the old say, you don't like what they do for you you do it yourself. So yeah, write one yourself if you think they are not good enough for you.

Isekai as a genre is nothing special anymore it is just another show, just like many years ago where Harem anime and Tsundere character were so skyrocket popular. Every era has its own generic hero and isekai just happen to be the generic hero of this era. Therefore you will see countless battle of people trying to make a big deal out of it. IMO, ignore them if you can and just enjoy the show you are watching or join them fight the battle that will become meaningless after a couple years.

As for Arifureta, Is this show not your regular isekai? Does that even matter if the execution wasn't that good? The only good thing about Arifureta anime is that it doesn't take itself too seriously and it is trying to be fun to watch.

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Sep 1, 2019 1:46 PM
Feb 2017
Adnash93 said:
BlakexEkalb said:

Exactly, but if we compare Shield Hero to Arifureta then the latter show is way, way more generic. At least Shield Hero tried to be something different in its first episodes, having controversial stuff and interesting way of starting the journey. At the same time Arifureta was simply generic from the beginning, making all the elements that might seemed interesting as bland.

Imo better to show nothing promising than get hopes up for the rest of the show.
Sep 1, 2019 2:39 PM

Oct 2014
Most of the time when I see others say an isekai is different they're really just talking about the gimmick or some other superficial aspect.

Isekai as a whole is an endless loop of copy and paste to be nothing more than a product. There's no artistic expression or merit in the genre because all they have to do to be successful is pander to otakus on the lowest level exploiting their escapism and fantasies. Light novels in general aren't the most well-written or clever material out there. From recent years, they're barely competent. I haven't read the source material myself, but I really doubt it's that much more worthwhile.
PyroSep 1, 2019 2:56 PM
Sep 1, 2019 3:23 PM

Mar 2014
Couldn't agree more with this thread, I just hate it when animes are hyped up or advertise to be something amazing when it turns out to be less than average.
"You can't spell slaughter without laughter".
Sep 1, 2019 5:48 PM

Oct 2013
Siva said:
5 years into the future when you look back to this present you will ask yourself "why did I even bother making this thread?" I am talking from experience.

Not really, I made it on purpose after reminding myself that I read a lot of discussions appearing out of blue in which some people claimed that Arifureta is "something different / unique / new / fresh / ... ".

I know people sometimes are hyping things up to irrational levels, but now I really want to know what are those elements which make Arifureta something better than Shield Hero, in example

Comparison from above is present because Shield Hero and Arifureta are more or less recent and present similar idea of main character being betrayed edgelord and acting pretty much edgy all the time. Therefore I am curious why Arifureta alone is better than Shield Hero (though it's not that hard to be better than it xD ) and more original.
Sep 1, 2019 6:02 PM

Jul 2013
I'm gonna take a blunt here. I never saw this as some epic isekai or anything. Yes.. It does follow all the cliches mentioned here but honestly even when starting out reading the manga. I find Arifureta things to be a benefit to me than a detriment. Without the harem stuff this series would've been alot more edgy than it is now. I don't know about anybody else hyping the show but, I said this before the show came out. And I quote

So overall I would say this would be good watch if you like a Harem Romantic Action Comedy.

I cant' defend the show now cause of how bad it is tho.

Sep 1, 2019 6:28 PM

Oct 2007
Adnash93 said:
Siva said:

Not really, I made it on purpose after reminding myself that I read a lot of discussions appearing out of blue in which some people claimed that Arifureta is "something different / unique / new / fresh / ... ".

I know people sometimes are hyping things up to irrational levels, but now I really want to know what are those elements which make Arifureta something better than Shield Hero, in example

Comparison from above is present because Shield Hero and Arifureta are more or less recent and present similar idea of main character being betrayed edgelord and acting pretty much edgy all the time. Therefore I am curious why Arifureta alone is better than Shield Hero (though it's not that hard to be better than it xD ) and more original.
Some people are just trying to see a different between 2 worker ants of the same colony. If that can make them happier I would just let them be.

Shield Hero and Arifureta are more or less the same and yet they are 2 different show. Saying Arifureta is unique or more original doesn't really mean anything because that is like saying every isekai show trying to be unique. Even though all of them tried but only a few that actually came out good.

For me, a show being unique or not means very little to me. A good show is good when I know it is good. I rated a show base on my enjoyment and nothing else.

Sep 1, 2019 7:34 PM

Oct 2013
@Siva , true, these two animes have a lot of differences, but at the same time they have a lot of similarities among each other. I don't deny that.

I don't have anything against people who like to make various lists on how two similar shows differ among each other. Everyone can do everything if it doesn't harm others, however I have as well a right to ask out of curiosity what is special about Arifureta which was announced by many people familiar with the source material as something unique and way more original than Shield Hero. At least by people whose posts I read and who referred to Shield Hero, although most of those posts compared Arifureta to Shield Hero (again, perhaps because Shield Hero has some similarities and was being aired close to Arifureta's anime premiere).

I'm not being picky or something, but I seriously want to know what is so good about Arifureta. It's hard to say looking only at the anime which already skipped, from what I heard, many moments quite important for the story in the source material. Therefore I decided to ask people who maybe praised this show even before it was even released about Arifureta's true quality. Because after seeing anime I can't imagine it being good. The concept is just too much generic.

Anime might be bad, but shows more or less what the show is about and how its work look like. And it looks like your typical isekai, lol.
AdnashSep 1, 2019 7:43 PM
Sep 1, 2019 7:56 PM

Jan 2009
Had the anime not been made as a popcorn flick and actually followed the source material more, this series would have been much darker and hajime would come off as a much darker protagonist, for example 2 scenes that were skipped were one with imperial soldiers who hajime kills, they were threatening to rape and murder yue, shea and most of the haulia tribe before hajime killed them (hajime's killing of them was not in any way censored either, it was quite graphic and brutal), then there was a second scene cut when in the forest after hajime trained the rabbits they surprise attacked a group of i think it was bear tribe members coming to "finish them off", and they tore them apart basically, leaving only 1 alive when hajime stopped them, none of this is played for laughs and the anime completely bypasses massive amounts of characterization and a good deal of the darker content.

I'm not going to claim that arifureta is the best thing ever, but the anime cuts massive amounts of content from the series making it borderline not even the same series anymore.
Sep 1, 2019 8:15 PM

Oct 2007
Well I don't blame your curiosity because sometime I am in the same boat as you.

But I honestly doubt any kind of skip content would be powerful enough to change the nature of Arifureta that the anime has shown us. By this time we all know that Arifureta anime is "...Harem Romantic Action Comedy." Unless both the manga and anime are 2 different show LOL

Sep 2, 2019 6:26 AM
Jul 2018
I honestly find it hard to believe that it was so hyped up that it was the third most popular show before summer season started airing, but hey I remember that I fined someone for plastering dog poop on someone's car a few months ago so people are capable of anything.

I tried watching it because I was bored, had a good time laughing at the cg. Dropped it at the third episode and then watched again just episode 6 to see the new character, and ended up watching episode 7 too. It was still entertaining for all the wrong reasons. I have not watched a single isekai anime I think so I have nothing to compare it too but judging by what everyone says and by all the other isekais airing, it seems very generic.

The protagonist being less happy go lucky and more of a character trying to get revenge is probably attractive to a young teenager or a person in their early twenties.I tried to see some of the manga and even if they had not butchered their source material it would still only be 5 to a 6 rating show in my book

More topics from this board

Poll: » Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2019

383 by Rishabh1348 »»
Mar 5, 9:52 PM

Poll: » Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 23, 2019

103 by TsunamiYT »»
Mar 2, 6:10 AM

Poll: » Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 19, 2019

173 by Seabury »»
Jan 14, 6:51 PM

Poll: » Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 22, 2019

158 by Seabury »»
Jan 13, 7:04 PM

Poll: » Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 7, 2019

171 by Mizangrh »»
Dec 26, 2023 8:18 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.