Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 18, 2019 4:20 PM

Jul 2015
I took a short break from anime for about a year and expanded my interests in other mediums, but when I came back to MAL, I was reminded of the term "rule-of-cool." Not only do I only ever see this used in the anime community, but I think it's seriously demeaning to a lot of anime that have the term attached to it like Cowboy Bebop and Akira. Yeah they're cool, but there's like so much to it than "muh coolness." I think it's stupid and people should stop using it.
Jul 18, 2019 4:28 PM

Jan 2014
The ammount of times i've seen the phrase "rule of cool" used to describe an anime is 1.
When did I see it? Now in this thread and i've been actively reading threads on MAL for 3 years even if i wasn't posting that much.
So yeah, OP this is a you only thing.

PS: I don't think it's really that demeaning and since i've seen some of cowboy bebop i kind of undestand what people are talking about. It may just be you taking the phrase way too literally which would then be in fact demeaning to the anime you mentioned.
The beauty of humans is that they say one thing then do another, but at the same time that can also be their ugliest side.
Jul 18, 2019 4:36 PM

Apr 2018
Most times i see that term, it's associated with hyper-stylized anime like Gurren Lagann and Kill la Kill, which i'd say is pretty fitting and accurate.

I dunno, it's not a bad term per se, it really just depends on the anime it's being ascribed to. I agree with you on Bebob and Akira, though; i don't see how Rule of Cool applies to them.
Stygian_PrisonerJul 18, 2019 4:48 PM
Jul 18, 2019 4:38 PM

Nov 2016
I think it's fine but people should at least understand that there's more to the rule than just cool. It's a term used to describe the tone and atmosphere of the series feeling 'cool' which is a praise worth giving for sure. I'd rather people would just use those terms instead.

I may also be completely wrong in interpreting and using this term
Jul 18, 2019 4:42 PM

Aug 2018
The only time i actually heard this term on my entire life that i been actively and agressively wasting away on the internet has been on this discussion thread.

Someone asked on a Dororo ep thread why the prosthetic limbs were moving when atached to people and someone said something like "With a tiny bit of suspension of disbelief" wich is honestly the most close thing to this ever.

I have some obscure memory of that day i was on TV Tropes for 6 hours straight and im pretty sure i definitely saw that term... probably...

Also the last thing i ever heard of people talking about CowPop and Asuna (which a lot of people honestly talk about on a lot of anime threads) is the word "cool".
Like the discussion has not even once gone towards that road. No one has ever even tried to use anything remotely similar to the concept of coolness when talking about those animes.

Besides isnt the whole point of the "rule of cool" term/trope to describe single scenes?
I mean i can't think of a single anime that can be completely described as "cool"
I never lie on the internet. What's the point of it...
the chinese noodles ad is an anime and avatar isn't!
triggered

Check out my taste and my profile.
Jul 18, 2019 4:47 PM

Oct 2014
I've literally never seen that term used on MAL before. Granted I only really read Anime Disc & Casual Disc so maybe it's used elsewhere, but in the time I've been on here, I've never seen it until now.
Jul 18, 2019 4:53 PM
May 2017
Taz_ said:
I think it's seriously demeaning to a lot of anime that have the term attached to it like Cowboy Bebop and Akira. Yeah they're cool, but there's like so much to it than "muh coolness." I think it's stupid and people should stop using it.
But this is literally not what the term is used for? It's a response to people saying "this makes no sense it there's no air in space," or some shit like it. People who need every single thing to make sense is what this trope goes against.
Jul 18, 2019 5:45 PM

Jan 2014
Stygian_Prisoner said:
Most times i see that term, it's associated with hyper-stylized anime like Gurren Lagann and Kill la Kill, which i'd say is pretty fitting and accurate.

I dunno, it's not a bad term per se, it really just depends on the anime it's being ascribed to. I agree with you on Bebob and Akira, though; i don't see how Rule of Cool applies to them.

Considering Cowboy bebop has some great hand to hand fighting scenes that are also cool, accompanied with its soundtrack... Yeah, definitely see how it applies.
The beauty of humans is that they say one thing then do another, but at the same time that can also be their ugliest side.
Jul 18, 2019 5:54 PM

Jun 2019
Sounds more like a new buzz term used by hipster journalists in online publications more than something said in a serious way in actual conversation.
Jul 18, 2019 5:58 PM

Oct 2014
Quite literally never heard of that phrase.

I don't believe in the Devil.
You should. He believes in you.
Jul 18, 2019 6:12 PM

Jul 2014
I have read these forums off and on for about 5 year haven't seen this term.

I have no problem with the meaning if I understand it correctly tho. Most peeps watch anime for the cool aspects nothing wrong with that. I enjoy my hero academia because the cool factor of deku and his classmates getting into flashy fights showing off their abilities.
Jul 18, 2019 6:19 PM

Sep 2014
I don't think its ever used to describe a whole show tbh.

It's a term that is useful in response to all the 'this is inpractical and doesn't make sense' stupid comments. Like female fighters fighting in heels, or someone using a 2 meter long sword. It's about the cool/sexy/badass aspect overriding the practical/realistic thing.

Jul 18, 2019 6:22 PM
Jan 2012
Some examples might help, because it feels like you just saw it once and just assumed it was making a comeback and taking over. That's a very 90s sounding phrase, which people are gonna be avoiding
Jul 18, 2019 6:39 PM

Feb 2019
The only place I've seen people use this is on tvtropes iirc. As some said, it's not used for whole shows, but certain plot points or design choices that would be impractical if one puts thought into it, but it's all excusable because it's supposed to be and look cool, not logical or realistic.
Jul 18, 2019 6:47 PM

Sep 2014
I learned it from you, today. It really is an awful term, you should stop using it.
Jul 18, 2019 8:02 PM

Nov 2014
Literally never heard the term before. I advice against going back to whatever shitty community you got that term from.

Also it's best to just never post about it again, even in a negative light. Who knows who might pick up that term and we'll never hear the end of it.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Jul 18, 2019 8:20 PM

Sep 2012
The first time I remember hearing it was in a Glass Reflection video, but I forgot what anime he was talking about. So, I guess that's +1 data point for the phrase being used in anime discussions. I've definitely heard it a few times, but in my experience it has been pretty sparse.

I think it's really a phrase that means different things to different people. I mean in Bebop you have an ass kicking, cigarette smoking, suit wearing, spaceship piloting badass that definitely could follow some kind of rule of cool. Then in something like Gundam you have 20 meter robots with fucking laser guns, swords, and shields. Why? Because of some rule of cool.

idk man I'm sorry you were so bothered you had to make a whole thread about it.
Jul 18, 2019 8:48 PM

Dec 2014
I thought that was a TVtropes thing /
Jul 18, 2019 11:04 PM

May 2018
First time I heard such thing as rule of cool.
Jul 19, 2019 12:50 AM

Jan 2018
Cool is an appropriate word to use in most cases but even then I've never heard of that. If you cry for your digimon, it will digivolve to protect you.
Jul 19, 2019 2:26 AM

Nov 2017
Rule of Cool

That's where I know the term from. In TvTropes it basically means that audiences are more willing to ignore nonsensical elements in a story if the result is something cool. If applied to entire shows, I could see the term meaning a show is style over substance, but I don't personally remember seeing it used this way.
Vilkku92Jul 19, 2019 2:36 AM
Jul 19, 2019 2:31 AM

Jan 2009
I've played D&D so I can safely say that "rule of cool" is far more commonly used in that community.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Jul 19, 2019 2:47 AM
May 2019
I think that you watch too much of ThatAnimeSnob since aside from him I'm not aware of anyone else using that term. Why do people take him seriously is beyond me he is just doing it for attention. He is a laughing stock in youtube anime community and I don't think you or anyone else should take what he says to hart. Just ignore him and let his channel sink into the shadow realm where it belongs.

Digibro made a great video exposing him for a lolcow that he is
Jul 19, 2019 1:34 PM

Dec 2016
I'm surprised to see many people here claiming they hadn't listened to the term before, when it's been there for ages

It's basically a term used as an answer as to why one liked/gave value to something that can't be described or argued with other words: "why did you like that?" ... "well, because it was cool".... period xD.
Jul 19, 2019 1:56 PM

Dec 2009
I've never heard this term before and have been using this site for long time xD I hope its not used often today
JaemaeJul 19, 2019 2:00 PM
Jul 19, 2019 4:50 PM
Jul 2018
I've only seen it being used on TV Tropes. Not a single time in my entire life I've seen it being used somewhere else. Kudos for bringing this cancer term over here.
Jul 19, 2019 4:54 PM

Jan 2009
err i only see it posted here on AD about a thread why mecha uses none built-in weapons and some user mention that
Jul 19, 2019 6:12 PM

Apr 2018
AstZero said:

Considering Cowboy bebop has some great hand to hand fighting scenes that are also cool, accompanied with its soundtrack... Yeah, definitely see how it applies.

I get what you're saying, but the Rule of Cool term is not meant to refer to overall style and coolness; it's supposed to apply to highly implausible, illogical or unrealistic moments that exist just for the sake of, well, being cool. (Example: Gurren Lagann's impossibly-sized mechas throwing galaxies at each other like shurikens)

Even though Bebop is sci-fi and thus a suspension of disbelief is required for enjoyment anyway, i can't think of any moments like that.
Stygian_PrisonerJul 19, 2019 6:22 PM
Jul 22, 2019 3:25 AM
Dec 2017
This is actually the first time I've seen this phrase. Since I did a bit of research though, I have remembered some scenes where this actually applies. Anyway, the phrase doesn't seem all that bad. It just kinda depends on how it's used.

And I agree that it sounds weird to use rule of cool to describe an entire anime. Like, what anime is just 100% filled with events that make no sense or couldn't possibly happen? I seriously can't think of a single one.

Now, a scene in a realistic anime or whatever where one guy just punches through a wall...is VERY questionable. Unless the walls are crazy thin, it couldn't possibly happen. (Well, that's only if the MC doesn't have something that boosts his strength.)
Jul 22, 2019 3:31 AM

Jun 2019
First time I've ever heard of the phrase. And yes, it sounds silly.

Stygian_Prisoner said:
(Example: Gurren Lagann's impossibly-sized mechas throwing galaxies at each other like shurikens).

That is the best though.

Jul 22, 2019 6:47 PM

Apr 2018
NickRedMachine said:

Stygian_Prisoner said:
(Example: Gurren Lagann's impossibly-sized mechas throwing galaxies at each other like shurikens).

That is the best though.

Oh, for sure. I fucking love TTGL in general, though there's no denying that the entire series basically operates on Rule of Cool; not that it's bad thing, of course.
Jul 24, 2019 7:51 AM
Jan 2016
In general, the term referers to stuff in a show that doesn't make sense but the audience accept it as such because it's presented in a way that it's awesome. Shows I can think of as examples are Jojo and Baccano.

More topics from this board

» Post the Last Anime Items you bought ( 1 2 )

SpeedyAlchemist - Mar 10

74 by Kruszer »»
10 minutes ago

Poll: » Which one do you prefer?

MillerEvans23 - 34 minutes ago

2 by KayKimii »»
12 minutes ago

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :)

Rinrinka - Today

24 by Toooooooooohru »»
12 minutes ago

» Which are the cutest anime girl pout scenes ? (not fan arts but real scenes)

DarkGamerA - Jul 8, 2022

22 by Toooooooooohru »»
15 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase? ( 1 2 )

Catalano - Yesterday

50 by Kruszer »»
16 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.