Forum Settings
Forums

Why are everyone's parents dead in most VN Romance adaptions?

New
Mar 19, 2019 7:41 PM

Jul 2016
This is a trend that's happening with more and more of them that I watch. Of course, the ones that I enjoy the most don't make this a major plot point, why do any of these writers think it's a good idea?
Mar 19, 2019 7:46 PM
Jul 2018
Likely to make the characters look independent and strong, have it serve as a source of drama, and make plot points at least a little plausible.
Mar 19, 2019 7:51 PM

Aug 2018
You do realize its not a trait exclusive to VN's?
I never lie on the internet. What's the point of it...
the chinese noodles ad is an anime and avatar isn't!
triggered

Check out my taste and my profile.
Mar 19, 2019 8:23 PM

Aug 2013
...I never noticed that? Most times they are estranged from each other, parents from children, which is done way more than they being dead in my experience.

Also, maybe because they all wanna be Batman or something.
Mar 19, 2019 8:27 PM
Jan 2012
Probably so he has the place all to himself, so the sex scenes/awkward ecchi moments can happen without interruption. It's the reason why a lot of harem and romance shows have a MC with parents that are overseas.
Mar 19, 2019 8:59 PM

Jul 2017
That or if there's no dad, it's because he cheated and divorced, or if there's no mom it's because she's dead
Mar 19, 2019 9:54 PM

Dec 2017
Sometimes they go overseas, sometimes they are dead, sometimes single parent is missing because he/she cheated or is dead.
It is not exclusive to VN. Even most of the shonen anime has that trait. Luffy's mom is dead, gon's mom is dead, gintoki doesn't have parents, Ichigo's mom is dead, naruto's parents are dead, natsu's parents are dead. We don't realize it but it is one of the most common cliche anime has.
Most VNs are lewd imo and it is done so that it can enhance drama, romance, ecchi without family tensions.

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

Mar 23, 2019 10:45 AM
Aug 2017
Have this criteria to instantly protagonist...

Parents dead or runaway
Tragic backstory
Kind. Like, crazily kind
Sit on the corner of class...
Mar 23, 2019 11:04 AM

Feb 2019
This actually apply on various areas.Not limit to VN.but also have been happened on anime,manga.comic,movie,TV show.
i personally think this could make character independ(many adventures or super-power story,if protagonist parents still alive,then mostly story couldn't continue)also add your character had some tragic element
Mar 23, 2019 11:22 AM
Oct 2018
MONO-san said:

Parents dead or runaway
Tragic backstory
Kind. Like, crazily kind
and dont fo
MONO-san said:

Parents dead or runaway
Tragic backstory
Kind. Like, crazily kind
and don't forget the little sister
Mar 23, 2019 11:27 AM

Aug 2018
this should be "why are everyone's parents dead in most VN Romance adaptions and in Shounen?"
Anyway they do it for making more dramatic and """"deep"""" the characters.Also if the characters are minor can have fiki fiki without many problems.

"God is Dead"
Mar 23, 2019 12:29 PM

Dec 2012
Obviously because none of the pervy fan service stuff and sex they do would be feasible with parental supervision around. Just imagine character A's mom walking in to ask him/her to take out the trash right when they're getting hot and heavy on the bed or barging in wondering what all those banging and moaning noises are about. Their ass would be so grounded, the other person's parents would have to be called, possible statutory rape charges would need to be filed against "senpai" or criminal sex offender charges for "sensei", maybe a shotgun wedding would be in order....
KruszerMar 23, 2019 12:34 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Mar 23, 2019 12:41 PM

Oct 2018
Simple to give the character a tragic backstory and up the drama amount, or to make sure the ecchi and H-scenes don't get interrupted ;)
Mar 23, 2019 12:43 PM
May 2015
Dead/absent parents can't interfere in love affairs.

More topics from this board

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

227 by Adnash »»
30 seconds ago

Poll: » can anime influence your dark side?

deg - 22 minutes ago

5 by deg »»
2 minutes ago

» Advertise your favorite anime

Tannenbusch - 17 minutes ago

1 by deg »»
14 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 10 hours ago

38 by _gt_ohn »»
16 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - Yesterday

30 by logopolis »»
16 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.