Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 17, 2019 6:09 AM

Apr 2014
By saying 'shit' taste, I mean those disposable shows (ecchi, slice of life genre, etc). I mean, sure, it may aid you in getting through the day but in general it is to life as is getting yourself drunk every evening. Wasting you away.

So, when one gets into anime, it is a very high chance that this person will go through shows like Clannads, Angel Beats, etc whether he wants it or not.

I've seen many people who grew out of or evolved out of 'shit' taste but I've also seen many people who didn't and just kept on watching them as the years pass by.

So... my question is - What makes a person move on from 'shit' taste to other, let's say, 'more mature' genres? Or in other words - What makes a person keep on watching 'shitty' shows ignoring the better stuff the industry has to offer. Anything to do with one's IQ?

Maybe it's related to one's ability to "see" things. Perhaps the ones watching ecchi, sol, etc are just unable to "see" the genius of, let's say, Cowboy Bebop? Perhaps to them it's just some random ~boring~ show? This is just one example.

TelecomMar 17, 2019 6:33 AM
themanualreader@proton.me
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Mar 17, 2019 6:11 AM
May 2016
wow what an interesting thread you have here op
Mar 17, 2019 6:15 AM

Apr 2014
Shiroanon said:
wow what an interesting thread you have here op
[img]https://i.imgur.com/JGAcxoi.jpg[ /img]

This is not a bait but if it makes you feel better (believing that I actually support shows like ecchi or slice of life) then sure, interpret it how you like

Not targeting the victims anyway (although it would be cool to hear their perspective as well)
Mar 17, 2019 6:23 AM

Mar 2016
You like what you like, thats the law of the universe
Mar 17, 2019 6:26 AM

Jul 2015
Here's a theory:

Shitty shows are shitty because they're predictable, formulaic and boring.
They contain the same tropes, the same archetypical characters, the same relationships between said characters, and so on.
They often have little in terms of worldbuilding. You could exchange the setting for different one and the show would still feel exactly the same.

How shitty your taste is, is therefore a function of how much you can bear the repetitiveness.

The two genres that are most guilty of repetitiveness are SOL and Harem shows. SOL mostly because the focus isn't on the story, so that's alright. Harem because the target audience is very special.

So there are three explanations for why people have shit taste:

1) You are very new to anime and therefore all of the above still feels fresh to you. If you've never seen a harem show before where the main love interest is a tsundere archetype, you might think that it's original. But this sort of shit-taste is transient.
it's not repetitive because it's new

2) You're really bad at recognizing patterns. If you're simply too dull to recognize the commonalities between shit shows, you'll probably keep enjoying them. To put it bluntly: Dumb people are more likely to have shit taste.
it's not repetitive because you're too dull to notice the pattern

3) You like a certain pattern so much that you can simply go on watching it forever. This probably applies to people who watch these masturbatory harem shows that are all the same and yet they never grow tired of them. Because the self-insert harem fantasy is so enjoyable to them that the repetitiveness doesn't even matter anymore.
the repetitiveness doesn't matter because you're watching for other reasons (also applies to SOL when you're just watching it to chill out)

Tl;dr: what makes a person move on? Pattern-recognition and the diminished enjoyment that comes from seeing the same shit over and over again. Unless they're dumb, in which case they won't recognize the patterns, or unless their enjoyment is sexual/somehow related to their ego (harem shows).
Railey2Mar 17, 2019 6:29 AM
"my life at this state could be transposed into a pretty massive biography"

- Cneq, "the guy who was literally using BTC in 2012 to make deals in the first main instance of a digital itemized economy forming naturally in all human history (also the precursor of NFTs) and who had 20k+ total trades.", 23 years old

MAL's most prolific antivaxxer, Noboru.
Mar 17, 2019 6:27 AM

Feb 2015
Well, I've seen people on this site who watched thousands of anime (according to their lists), but still think SAO is the best thing ever and Eva is terrible because they don't like Shinji.
Mar 17, 2019 6:34 AM

Apr 2013
Wondering if this should be in Anime Discussion instead cause this just refers to "shit taste" for the Anime/Manga medium... (cause I thought this was just gonna be a "shit taste" in general thread) anyhow I'm not sure when it comes to Anime/Manga but when it comes to art a lot of things are subjective to the beholder (this is especially true for music, knowing that there are genres that throw music theory completely out of the window or genres that require you to gain an "ear" for them so the whole stance on objective opinion doesn't really apply to it) but for Anime it still has to follow fundamental rules to at least be watchable. Yet are these shows you consider mature better than these disposable Slice of Life or Ecchi shows you speak of? How about series like Aria that is a Slice of Life but heavily praised by the "Patrician" audience of the Anime/Manga community? How about those Ecchi that are enjoyable to some degree like Shokugeki no Soma? Does one have shit taste if he prefers a show with good animation yet terrible writing over one that has bad animation but great writing? When does when start having "good" taste for this medium? When they watch more plot heavy shows over formulaic shows? Wouldn't that just mean you have an idea of what good writing is? What about Animation and sound design? Do they have "good taste" for these factors? Does having an amount of specific series in your favorites make you have good taste? Then how about the folks that have some of those series in their faves but the oh so "shitty" ecchi/SOL in their faves? Do they have bad taste then? In the end, it's all subjective. Shit taste is just a petty insult used by folks to get them to watch the shows they consider to be "good." If you want people to watch the shows you consider to be good but they don't enjoy it that doesn't mean they have shit taste imo, it means they aren't the audience for it.
Aidoru-OjisanMar 19, 2019 11:17 AM

Ascended Taste
I only came back to this site for the forum sets and to promote my RYM list... Anilist ftw still :dab:
Mar 17, 2019 6:35 AM

Apr 2014
Railey2 said:
Here's a theory:

They contain the same tropes, the same archetypical characters, the same relationships between said characters, and so on.
They often have little in terms of worldbuilding. You could exchange the setting for different one and the show would still feel exactly the same.

How shitty your taste is, is therefore a function of how much you can bear the repetitiveness.

The two genres that are most guilty of repetitiveness are SOL and Harem shows. SOL mostly because the focus isn't on the story, so that's alright. Harem because the target audience is very special.

1) You are very new to anime and therefore all of the above still feels fresh to you. If you've never seen a harem show before where the main love interest is a tsundere archetype, you might think that it's original. But this sort of shit-taste is transient.

2) You're really bad at recognizing patterns. If you're simply too dull to recognize the commonalities between shit shows, you'll probably keep enjoying them. To put it bluntly: Dumb people are more likely to have shit taste.

3) You like a certain pattern so much that you can simply go on watching it forever. This probably applies to people who watch these masturbatory harem shows that are all the same and yet they never grow tired of them. Because the self-insert harem fantasy is so enjoyable to them that the repetitiveness doesn't even matter anymore.
the repetitiveness doesn't matter because you're watching for other reasons (also applies to SOL when you're just watching it to chill out)

Tl;dr: what makes a person move on? Pattern-recognition and the diminished enjoyment that comes from seeing the same shit over and over again. Unless they're dumb, in which case they won't recognize the patterns, or unless their enjoyment is sexual/somehow related to their ego (harem shows).

I like your post, very similar thoughts. Even genres mentioned
Mar 17, 2019 6:38 AM
May 2016
Darius said:
Not targeting the victims anyway (although it would be cool to hear their perspective as well)
well, i surely don't consider myself a victim, because i quite enjoy these shows. but i guess i could fit the 'victim' category under your malformed standards.
first off, i just want to ask, what is wrong with enjoying a 'disposable show'? and why are these genres inherently bad?
Mar 17, 2019 6:39 AM

Apr 2014

You're clearly the type that likes to confuse people (not necessarily a bad thing) but, let's be honest, it is really not that hard to tell if a show falls into a 'shit' category or not. Sure there are some grays
Mar 17, 2019 6:41 AM

Jul 2015
Shiroanon said:
Darius said:
well, i surely don't consider myself a victim, because i quite enjoy these shows. but i guess i could fit the 'victim' category under your malformed standards.
first off, i just want to ask, what is wrong with enjoying a 'disposable show'? and why are these genres inherently bad?
because the more demand for shit shows there is, the more resources will be used on making these shows, which means less resources for shows that we enjoy. If everyone just watched good shows, there'd be way more of them.

In a sense, you are our enemy and we are your enemy.

- Cneq, "the guy who was literally using BTC in 2012 to make deals in the first main instance of a digital itemized economy forming naturally in all human history (also the precursor of NFTs) and who had 20k+ total trades.", 23 years old

Mar 17, 2019 6:42 AM

Mar 2019
Shiroanon said:
Darius said:
I don't necessarily think there is something "wrong" with it but I do think one can make a reasonable argument that the narrative complexity isn't high and it's pretty brain dead entertainment.

But so is petting my cat and playing games with him and finding it particularly amusing as he chases like an idiot after a piece of string; I can't say that I feel like Einstein 2.0 when doing that but there's not much wrong with not doing so.

It is obvious that "obscenity" is not a term capable of exact legal definition; in the practice of the courts, it means "anything that shocks the magistrate".

— Bertrand Russell
Mar 17, 2019 6:43 AM

Apr 2014
Shiroanon said:
Darius said:

Well, my goal is to explore the best the world has to offer. I want to see what geniuses can produce in all kinds of fields. I watch anime, read books, play video games, watch movies, tv series, etc. and I always explore (do a lot of research before commiting to something). I would not like to see myself at a stoppage (like watching ecchi for days or playing CSGO for many hours every single day, etc, etc.)

I think one should never stop exploring . . . always strive to keep moving. There's only so much time
Mar 17, 2019 6:49 AM

May 2015
It's the same as with other media, people watch things mostly for entertainment. You can agree that some classics are great and critically acclaimed but when it comes to everyday life you just want to relax and watch whatever is simple and entertaining enough just to get your mind off other bothering things. Also, there is a mood for any genre, I personally postpone a lot of things I genuinely want to watch but I just know that if I watch them with the wrong mood I won't enjoy them as much.
Mar 17, 2019 6:49 AM

Apr 2014
Could anyone (with a non-shit taste) tell me if Ghost in the Shell is worth watching?

A bunch of different people recommended it to me for years but I've never got myself around it.

Then I saw this video:

(oh, if only my friends could talk about the show in such manner...)

I think I've tried to watch the series a long time ago... but found it kind of boring and never finished it... maybe I should've started with the 1995 movie to then afterwards watch the series with a different perspective?

I really wonder if I should give the 1995 movie a try.
TelecomMar 17, 2019 6:53 AM
Mar 17, 2019 7:01 AM
May 2016
Railey2 said:
because the more demand for shit shows there is, the more resources will be used on making these shows, which means less resources for shows that we enjoy. If everyone just watched good shows, there'd be way more of them.

an obvious answer, but what's good isn't objective. some people just want simple entertainment and aren't looking for something deeper. but i can't really argue against the point you're making
Sphinxter said:
I don't necessarily think there is something "wrong" with it but I do think one can make a reasonable argument that the narrative complexity isn't high and it's pretty brain dead entertainment.

But so is petting my cat and playing games with him and finding it particularly amusing as he chases like an idiot after a piece of string; I can't say that I feel like Einstein 2.0 when doing that but there's not much wrong with not doing so.
oh yea i definitely agree that it's braindead in comparison, but there's nothing really wrong with that either. some people just want simple, low substance entertainment
Darius said:
Well, my goal is to explore the best the world has to offer. I want to see what geniuses can produce in all kinds of fields. I watch anime, read books, play video games, watch movies, tv series, etc. and I always explore (do a lot of research before commiting to something). I would not like to see myself at a stoppage (like watching ecchi for days or playing CSGO for many hours every single day, etc, etc.)

I think one should never stop exploring . . . always strive to keep moving. There's only so much time
why does everything you watch have to be 'mature' or whatever though? what's wrong with just having some fun watching something simple? personally, i do both. why do you choose to limit yourself like this?
Mar 17, 2019 7:01 AM

Apr 2013
Darius said:

You're clearly the type that likes to confuse people (not necessarily a bad thing) but, let's be honest, it is really not that hard to tell if a show falls into a 'shit' category or not. Sure there are some grays

Yeah I can find a show that heavily relies on tropes of past products to be lazy writing yet what if they are filled with Sakuga and great music? Sure there aren't any examples of this that I can bring up (cause let's be honest if a show is heavily reliant on tropes it will tend to fall flat with other factors) there's just a lot of reasons why people can find something you consider to be shit, good, while they can find something you find to be good to be shit cause it all falls into you or them not being the "target audience." Good taste is knowing what you like and being able to indulge yourself in it, but taste is also something that evolves with time and experience so really taste is a growing thing rather than something that is "good" or "bad."

Ascended Taste
I only came back to this site for the forum sets and to promote my RYM list... Anilist ftw still :dab:
Mar 17, 2019 7:02 AM

Jul 2015
Shiroanon said:
Railey2 said:

an obvious answer, but what's good isn't objective. some people just want simple entertainment and aren't looking for something deeper. but i can't really argue against the point you're making
What's good to me is objective, and it's not what is objectively good to you.

Mar 17, 2019 7:04 AM

Apr 2014
Shiroanon said:

Darius said:

why does everything you watch have to be 'mature' or whatever though? what's wrong with just having some fun watching something simple? personally, i do both. why do you choose to limit yourself like this?

Does simply having fun challenges you? You don't grow without challenging yourself. When you are simply having fun you are in a period of stagnation. Years will pass by and you will stay the exact same. Maybe this satisfies you but I am curious where else my mind can or will take me...
Mar 17, 2019 7:19 AM
May 2016
Darius said:
Does simply having fun challenges you? You don't grow without challenging yourself. When you are simply having fun you are in a period of stagnation. Years will pass by and you will stay the exact same. Maybe this satisfies you but I am curious where else my mind can or will take me...
you don't need to only challenge yourself though, that could lead to a period of stagnation. if you're never having fun at all, that is also going to lead to stagnation. i am also curious to see where my mind can or will take me, that is why i also watch stuff that challenges me, along with stuff that i only watch for enjoyment and fun. i just don't see why you would be against having fun. again, i will ask, why not both?
Mar 17, 2019 7:24 AM
Dec 2011
It's hard for someone to evolve from shit tastes if they're average in the real world and get enjoyment out of some actual Japanese loners' fake vision of how emotions and relationships play out.

Mar 17, 2019 7:35 AM

Mar 2019
Darius said:
Shiroanon said:

If the objective is to be challenged one shouldn't delve into entertainment anyway but try to prove the Riemann Hypothesis or something.

Not to mention that success in this case will net one the lucrative sum of one million USD which may further be utilized to acquire fast cars, fame, and aesthetically pleasing bitchez and hoez at one's companionship.

It is obvious that "obscenity" is not a term capable of exact legal definition; in the practice of the courts, it means "anything that shocks the magistrate".

— Bertrand Russell
Mar 17, 2019 7:39 AM

May 2018
Taste and quality are subjective thing. You got intelligent people like Elon Musk who like Kakegurui. Does that mean only smart people can see the genius of Kakegurui while people who don't like Kakegurui have shit taste?

To you other people might have shit taste but to others you have shit taste.

tsue said:
Does judging others taste make one feel a better person? As much as I like Bebop, I'm starting to feel real tired of how it's being shoved down everybody's throat by them good taste crusaders like their life depends on it.

We have a term calling the good taste crusaders who try to shove down everyone taste, you probably familiar with the word, it's called 'elitist'.
Papa_ScorchMar 17, 2019 7:50 AM
Mar 17, 2019 7:56 AM

Jun 2011
Some people just want to go home and relax after a hard day's work. I don't know why that is so wrong.
The anime community in a nutshell.
Mar 17, 2019 7:57 AM

Feb 2017
For me, I just watch whatever show. There are some shows that people that may not like that I like, and that's okay. Everyone's tastes and opinions are different, and that is a beautiful thing to have. There isn't no evolution, but preferences can change over time. I been saying a lot of times that there is an anime for everybody. An important thing about is that we respect the people who make their choices and don't put them down for it.
Mar 17, 2019 8:03 AM

Apr 2014
Sphinxter said:
Darius said:

If the objective is to be challenged one shouldn't delve into entertainment anyway but try to prove the Riemann Hypothesis or something.

Not to mention that success in this case will net one the lucrative sum of one million USD which may further be utilized to acquire fast cars, fame, and aesthetically pleasing bitchez and hoez at one's companionship.

We both know you know it was not what I meant by telling one to challenge himself but I still felt the need to reply
Mar 17, 2019 8:05 AM

Apr 2014
Gorochu said:
Taste and quality are subjective thing. You got intelligent people like Elon Musk who like Kakegurui. Does that mean only smart people can see the genius of Kakegurui while people who don't like Kakegurui have shit taste?

tsue said:
Does judging others taste make one feel a better person? As much as I like Bebop, I'm starting to feel real tired of how it's being shoved down everybody's throat by them good taste crusaders like their life depends on it.

We have a term calling the good taste crusaders who try to shove down everyone taste, you probably familiar with the word, it's called 'elitist'.

One can be a genius in one thing and a complete moron in another because he didn't spend much time on it.

Elon Musk is probably just not very familiar with anime and didn't watch a lot of it. I'm sure if he had more free time he'd eventually evolve into more mature shows.
Mar 17, 2019 8:07 AM

May 2018
Darius said:
Gorochu said:

One can be a genius in one thing and a complete moron in another because he didn't spend much time on it.

Elon Musk is probably just not very familiar with anime and didn't watch a lot of it. I'm sure if he had more free time he'd eventually evolve into more mature shows.

Naah...you just have shit taste for not liking Kakegurui.
Mar 17, 2019 8:08 AM

Apr 2014
tsue said:
As much as I like Bebop, I'm starting to feel real tired of how it's being shoved down everybody's throat watching

I have doubts about you liking Bebop. Reason why you like it probably has nothing to do with the reasons why I (or any other person who 'shoves' Bebop into throats) like it.
Mar 17, 2019 8:11 AM

Apr 2014
Gorochu said:
Darius said:

I really think it is worrisome to see yourself in the same place after many years.
Mar 17, 2019 8:13 AM

May 2018
Darius said:
Gorochu said:

I really think it is worrisome to see yourself in the same place after many years.

Nope, I never been the same place after many years.
Mar 17, 2019 8:13 AM

Jun 2011
Darius said:
tsue said:
As much as I like Bebop, I'm starting to feel real tired of how it's being shoved down everybody's throat watching

I have doubts about you liking Bebop. Reason why you like it probably has nothing to do with the reasons why I (or any other person who 'shoves' Bebop into throats) like it.

Please explain why you like Bebop then.
The anime community in a nutshell.
Mar 17, 2019 8:15 AM

Mar 2019
Darius said:
Sphinxter said:

We both know you know it was not what I meant by telling one to challenge himself but I still felt the need to reply
I'm just saying that if you value intellectualism so much then entertainment isn't exactly a high goal.

You basically take pride in the crème de la merde.

— Bertrand Russell
Mar 17, 2019 8:48 AM
Jul 2018
I can't tell if this is bait or if this person actually thinks their opinion is objectively right. By your standard my taste is pretty bad, granted, I didn't put the most deep, developed or complex characters on my favorites list, and I have dub actors in my favorite people list. Not to mention, I have such horrendous shows like K-On on my list and that I think DRV3 has the best cast out of anything I've watched/played.

Though, it's weird for an elitist to rate Naruto a 7 and Pokemon a 9. I don't see that often.
Mar 17, 2019 8:57 AM

Jan 2017
People like different things , that's just how they are.
Think about your taste in foods , Just because you like some food and your friend likes another , that doesn't mean you're right and he's wrong or wise versa.

People have different reasons for liking what they like and that's just how they are.
Let me show you an example ,
Everyone considers Sir Anthony Hopkins a genius , master at his works.
Everyone (including me) considers Micheal Bay to be a terrible director.
But Sir Anthony Hopkins considers Micheal Bay to be a genius , can we tell him that he's wrong ?

Let's take critic aggregate sites , have you seen any movie or tv series that all the high profile "critics" have the same opinion on ? there aren't any !
The Godfather movie , a movie almost everyone considers to be the be the best movie of all time. But a well renowned and a respectable critic Stanley Kaufmann thought it was absolute trash !

A lot of movies we call classics in modern day like Space Odyssey and Bringing up Baby were trashed by critics when they came out but now we consider them classics.

Same thing applies to Anime , There are tastes , and that's all they are.
We can argue about something being better than the other and all points are valid , criticism is always valid , but they are going to be enjoyed by someone for reasons non of us can relate to.
"In this world, wherever there is light – there are also shadows. As long as the concept of winners exists, there must also be losers. The selfish desire of wanting to maintain peace causes wars, and hatred is born to protect love."
-Madara Uchiha

Mar 17, 2019 9:03 AM
Feb 2017
Railey2 said:
Here's a theory:

I don't think have similar qualities is bad all the time. Shows can have a similar premise, but it's how the show differs from the original premise that makes it the same or not. An example can be One Punch Man. Although it has a similar premise of having an OP character that will always win fights, the show uses that gag and the world to build off of him through Genos, Mumen Rider, etc.

I am in agreeable with you though, having shows that are a copy and paste are mundane and boring.
Mar 17, 2019 9:40 AM

Apr 2014
Sphinxter said:
Darius said:

I'm just saying that if you value intellectualism so much then entertainment isn't exactly a high goal.

You basically take pride in the crème de la merde.

https://academyofideas.com/2015/12/nietzsche-zapffe-beauty-suffering-nature-of-genius/

read the "rausch" part
Mar 17, 2019 9:41 AM

Apr 2014
Peaceful_Critic said:

it's weird for an elitist to rate Naruto a 7 and Pokemon a 9. I don't see that often.

Don't put a label on me, thx . . . . . . . .
Mar 17, 2019 9:49 AM
Jul 2018
Darius said:
Peaceful_Critic said:

it's weird for an elitist to rate Naruto a 7 and Pokemon a 9. I don't see that often.

Okay, but why do you think you can decide what is or isn't objectively good?
Mar 17, 2019 10:50 AM

Apr 2014
Peaceful_Critic said:
Darius said:

This is not a hard question but it is tough to answer

I just can, okay........ it is really not that hard? At least for me... Idk myself, maybe it's because I do A LOT of research before commiting to a show (I do the same with books, with video games, anything) and at this point, for me, it is just seeing patterns.

Mainly because I buy books, I also buy video games and I didn't want to spend money on 'shit'. But over the years this habit of doing research before commiting your time to something translated into everything, I guess, including anime, even though I do not buy it.

I've probably browsed through more than 80% of all entries in MAL... searching for this magic which I needed.

I think it is how I found Ashita no Joe. Not by recommendations, not by browinsg other people's favorites. Just browinsg through entries and researching each of them. Ashita no Joe is a little bit more known today but still pretty no-name'ish.

I've watched it in around 2014-2015, I think. Back then it really was a buried treasure and only a couple months had passed after it was subbed and available.

I've also had a little group of friends who also had a tendency to do research before watching and we used to discuss about our findings. Having this group where I could talk my head out, I think, helped me to have a better perspective on what shows are good and what shows are bad...

A good show, I believe, is an idea. An idea not stolen. A show which does not have many commonalities with other shows out there. A genre in its own. A show that really, genuinely wants to tell you something, wants to show you something... not just entertain.
TelecomMar 17, 2019 11:03 AM
Mar 17, 2019 11:02 AM
Jul 2018
Shitty anime are easier to watch because they are usually weird
Watching shitty anime doesn't really says that a person has shit taste though
Mar 17, 2019 11:06 AM

Apr 2014
Kirena said:
Shitty anime are easier to watch because they are usually weird
Watching shitty anime doesn't really says that a person has shit taste though

I think it kind of does. This is just twisting words around to save yourself from the category but in general - you don't mind your time to be wasted and are a fan of not thinking much when watching something. You like to numb yourself.

You'll probably enjoy drinking beer every other evening some time later in your life...
Mar 17, 2019 11:19 AM
Jul 2018
Darius said:
Peaceful_Critic said:

I just can, okay........ it is really not that hard? At least for me... Idk myself, maybe it's because I do A LOT of research before commiting to a show (I do the same with books, with video games, anything) and at this point, for me, it is just seeing patterns.

Mainly because I buy books, I also buy video games and I didn't want to spend money on 'shit'. But over the years this habit of doing research before commiting your time to something translated into everything, I guess, including anime, even though I do not buy it.

I've probably browsed through more than 80% of all entries in MAL... searching for this magic which I needed.

I think it is how I found Ashita no Joe. Not by recommendations, not by browinsg other people's favorites. Just browinsg through entries and researching each of them. Ashita no Joe is a little bit more known today but still pretty no-name'ish.

I've watched it in around 2014-2015, I think. Back then it really was a buried treasure and only a couple months had passed after it was subbed and available.

I've also had a little group of friends who also had a tendency to do research before watching and we used to discuss about our findings. Having this group where I could talk my head out, I think, helped me to have a better perspective on what shows are good and what shows are bad...

A good show, I believe, is an idea. An idea not stolen. A show which does not have many commonalities with other shows out there. A genre in its own. A show that really, genuinely wants to tell you something, wants to show you something... not just entertain.
But doesn't everyone have different types of experience, therefore, they'll notice different patterns(even if some show up more than others)? I just put a poll out asking if Chuunibyo characters are cliche's and I got mixed responses due to varying experiences. To be the voice on what is or isn't good anime, shouldn't you watch more than most(your completed list is just a little smaller than mine)? It's fine to think a show is good and express the reasons why, but please don't put yourself out there as the ultimate taste, no one is that special.
Mar 17, 2019 11:34 AM
Jul 2018
Darius said:
I think it kind of does. This is just twisting words around to save yourself from the category but in general - you don't mind your time to be wasted and are a fan of not thinking much when watching something. You like to numb yourself.

You'll probably enjoy drinking beer every other evening some time later in your life...

No, unless a person feels emotionally attached with a really shitty anime, it shouldn't be said that they have shit taste.
And about keeping less or no expectations from an anime, I don't think there's anything wrong with that, at least people who watch anime like that enjoy anime more than we do. And art is all about enjoyment after all
Mar 17, 2019 11:36 AM

Apr 2014
Peaceful_Critic said:
Darius said:

But doesn't everyone have different types of experience, therefore, they'll notice different patterns(even if some show up more than others)? I just put a poll out asking if Chuunibyo characters are cliche's and I got mixed responses due to varying experiences. To be the voice on what is or isn't good anime, shouldn't you watch more than most(your completed list is just a little smaller than mine)? It's fine to think a show is good and express the reasons why, but please don't put yourself out there as the ultimate taste, no one is that special.

As I said, I am very careful with investing my time. I might probably know more about some shows I haven't watched than you who watched it . . .

Sure, I spoiled myself to some of the shows. For example, I spoiled myself both Cowboy Bebop's and Ashita no Joe's brutal endings but it didn't make my experience worse and they are still my top favorites shows of all time because good shows don't rely on shock effect.

Therefore, I do not limit myself when researching a show.

When looking for a show to watch, it really is rather an idea that I am searching for... not cheap entertainment.
Mar 17, 2019 11:39 AM

Apr 2014
Kirena said:
Darius said:

No, unless a person feels emotionally attached with a really shitty anime, it shouldn't be said that they have shit taste.
And about keeping less or no expectations from an anime, I don't think there's anything wrong with that, at least people who watch anime like that enjoy anime more than we do. And art is all about enjoyment after all

If you view art solely as a tool to ease your suffering on this planet then you are 100% right. But to me, art is a little bit more than that. I view art as a gateway for my mind to enter somewhere I've never been before and then afterwards be able to view everything with a different eye. Therefore my standards for a show are much higher... The show must not be something I've seen before. The show must not be telling me/showing me something I've been told before. The show must be original and it must want to tell me/show me something new.
TelecomMar 17, 2019 11:43 AM
Mar 17, 2019 11:49 AM
Jul 2018
Darius said:
Kirena said:

If you view art as solely a tool to ease your suffering on this planet then you are 100% right. But to me, art is a little bit more than that. I view art as a gateway for my mind to enter somewhere I've never been before and then afterwards be able to view everything with a different eye. Therefore my standards for a show are much higher...

I can understand if for you art is not just about enjoyment, but more about analysing and learning and experiencing something new. However, it's not the case for everyone. I personally find it kind of sad how you said "ease your suffering", art is about pleasing your mind.
As someone who is not much analytical about art, I watch it solely for my enjoyment, it's not like I don't watch it for getting to experience something different, but the sole purpose will always be enjoyment. If I keep on criticising an anime too much, I would be just killing the beauty of it for myself and for others.
Mar 17, 2019 11:52 AM

Nov 2017
DrPlonker said:
You like what you like, thats the law of the universe

It's as simply as like this man said.
𝘠𝘰𝘶 𝘫𝘶𝘴𝘵 𝘥𝘰𝘯'𝘵 𝘨𝘦𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘥𝘰 𝘺𝘰𝘶?
𝘐'𝘮 𝘯𝘰𝘵 𝘴𝘵𝘶𝘤𝘬 𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩 𝘺𝘰𝘶.

¡ǝɯ ɥʇᴉʍ ǝɹǝɥ uᴉ ʞɔnʇs ǝɹ,no⅄
Mar 17, 2019 11:55 AM
Jul 2018
Darius said:
Peaceful_Critic said:

As I said, I am very careful with investing my time. I might probably know more about some shows I haven't watched than you who watched it . . .

Sure, I spoiled myself to some of the shows. For example, I spoiled myself both Cowboy Bebop's and Ashita no Joe's brutal endings but it didn't make my experience worse and they are still my top favorites shows of all time because good shows don't rely on shock effect.

Therefore, I do not limit myself when researching a show.

When looking for a show to watch, it really is rather an idea that I am searching for... not cheap entertainment.
What a bold claim, okay prove it then. I'll let you pick the show(it has to be something I watched, but you haven't). Entertainment isn't cheap for one episode of anime you need 100,000 dollars and a lot of time dedicated to frames, voice actings, etc. Have more respect for the people who make it, even the worst shows have a lot of time put into them.
Mar 17, 2019 11:55 AM

Apr 2014
Kirena said:
Darius said:

If you view art as solely a tool to ease your suffering on this planet then you are 100% right. But to me, art is a little bit more than that. I view art as a gateway for my mind to enter somewhere I've never been before and then afterwards be able to view everything with a different eye. Therefore my standards for a show are much higher...

I can understand if for you art is not just about enjoyment, but more about analysing and learning and experiencing something new. However, it's not the case for everyone. I personally find it kind of sad how you said "ease your suffering", art is about pleasing your mind.
As someone who is not much analytical about art, I watch it solely for my enjoyment, it's not like I don't watch it for getting to experience something different, but the sole purpose will always be enjoyment. If I keep on criticising an anime too much, I would be just killing the beauty of it for myself and for others.

Oh, art is first and foremost for me a form of enjoyement as well. It's just that it is not the only thing for me. For me, art is something massive and it needs to be explored and thought about. And by doing this, the intensity of my enjoyement will be far greater than the one that you often experience. And that is why I think art is worth all the trouble. By trouble, I mean the time spent on exploring, analysing, discussing and then most importantly - thinking about.

"Could it be that the more one is aware of the terrible truths, the more he will experience the the rapturous and ecstatic state of Rausch?"
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bluey is the most watched anime in the world now

tsukareru - Yesterday

27 by Dracowyn »»
25 minutes ago

» Dracula, Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde or Frankenstein(books)?

Absurdo_N - Apr 23

11 by xthewarwithinx »»
41 minutes ago

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - Yesterday

23 by Ejrodiew »»
47 minutes ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

676 by Hitagi__Furude »»
1 hour ago

» Are you a slow or fast typier on a computer???

DesuMaiden - Apr 19

43 by LordSozin »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.