Forum Settings
Forums
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Mar 9, 2019 5:13 AM

Jul 2014
THIS IS A LIGHT NOVEL ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS VOLUME.
----------------------------------------
So that dark "thing" from the end of the previous volume was the Witch of Envy herself. She somehow managed to posses Emilia O_o

In the next loop Subaru learnt about a lot of interesting things:
  • About Ryuzu secret and Echidna's experiments. That she created empty vessels for herself but did not manage to finish the experiments.
  • About Beatrice's Book and that it stopped showing the future a long time ago. That she waited 400 years for HIM but HE never showed up. That she thought Subaru might be HIM but since she can't be the #1 most important person is Subaru's life, she knew he wasn't HIM.
  • That Elsa is basically immortal and dealing with her will be an impossibly difficult task.
  • That Emilia will go insane if she thinks Subaru abandoned her.
  • That Roswaal knows that Subaru can change the past, but does not know how exactly. That he will sacrifice everything for his goal and force Subaru to change the past.

There is one unresolved mystery. What happened to Subaru's letter? Emilia did not read it, but neither Garfiel nor Roswaal knew about it. Who took it so Emilia did not read it?

And finally, at the start of the next loop, we can see what happens with the world when Subaru returns by death. Echidna said it was all an illusion, based on Subaru's memories and knowledge, but there were some things Subaru did not know about.

My favourite scenes from those alternate futures were the one at Rem's bed, where Subaru cut his throat, and the one where Reinhard killed Puck.
mozgowMar 9, 2019 10:59 AM
Mar 13, 2019 1:26 AM

Mar 2010
Gahhh! We are still like 2-3 volumes behind you. :<

Glad you enjoyed it tho. I knew how the volume would end given the equivalent WN chapter title. It was hell of cliffhanger though wasn't it?

Also I'm pretty sure Emilia read the letter in he WN, hmm
Mar 13, 2019 7:17 AM

Jul 2014
Jagd84 said:
Glad you enjoyed it tho. I knew how the volume would end given the equivalent WN chapter title. It was hell of cliffhanger though wasn't it?
You mean the end of previous volume or this one?

Jagd84 said:
Also I'm pretty sure Emilia read the letter in he WN, hmm
She did not read it and it was one of the reasons she went insane.
Mar 13, 2019 3:49 PM

Mar 2010
mozgow said:
You mean the end of previous volume or this one?

Oof, I made a mistake. I forgot what I talked about happened end of previous volume. Still this one has it's own cliffhanger anyway. XD

She did not read it and it was one of the reasons she went insane.

Interesting, becasue she still lost it even she had read it WN. I guess in LN version this might actually had an effect in stabilizing her instead. IIRC that's implied one of Lewes kept from her.
Mar 13, 2019 4:07 PM

Jul 2014
Jagd84 said:
Oof, I made a mistake. I forgot what I talked about happened end of previous volume. Still this one has it's own cliffhanger anyway. XD
You mean Satella crashing Echidna's garden tea party? :D

Jagd84 said:
Interesting, becasue she still lost it even she had read it WN. I guess in LN version this might actually had an effect in stabilizing her instead. IIRC that's implied one of Lewes kept from her.
I will read that part once more, but I don't remember anything like that being mentioned in the LN ;-)
Mar 13, 2019 5:13 PM

Mar 2010
mozgow said:
You mean Satella crashing Echidna's garden tea party? :D

Yep. I heard it was pretty intense.

I will read that part once more, but I don't remember anything like that being mentioned in the LN ;-)

Sure, it tho might not be implied in that part specially. He left her the letter in Ch2, but is not relevant until Ch 4.
Mar 20, 2023 7:47 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Albeit a confusing start, there is no denying its impact, the appearance of the Witch just like that was very questionable, why did she choose such a time to appear, just because he was getting cozy with Echidna?
WHY only NOW, why not in later scenes, why doesn't she appear on his next retry??
Why, why, why, why?!?!?
Fuck it, love it regardless~~

(she kinda does at the witches' tea party so I guess that is the alternative to this)

Some reveal I wasn't expecting and didn't care much tbh with Chapter 2, but in Chapter 3 we finally get more info on Beatrice, and the outcome was emotional.
I love when Tappei keeps going on the same loop even after he lost the eye, so gory, to see it continue and people addressing it, finalizing in The Taste of Death scene, phenomenal!
This is truly Rezero at its peak, giving me all the vibes I adored certain parts of S1 for.

It was so surprising to see a kiss, their first... the context behind it, her going crazy, it "tastes like death", I found the writing just special for this moment.

In the next chapter, IMO Subaru was an idiot thought, you are leaving people behind when you die (I believe in parallel worlds), it is obvious, that he broke from this felt CHEAP!
Connecting to the previous chapter, if he died like that after the kiss with Emilia, right then I was imagining how she would have felt, after realizing he was dead in her arms...

There was probably not enough time considering the psycho bunnies were on Subaru's ASS, but still, it left me eager to see the reaction we would get, from maybe a more sane Emilia, I m all for the suffering for this series, I love the characters, but want to see them tortured and feel tortured myself in all the good ways.

In the final chapter, all the witches are finally together, and Echidna shows her true colors, she might have fooled Subaru previously, but that was also due to his circumstances with Return by Death, it is credible that he would be more disposed of, to want to trust someone like her like that, since suddenly she can address and talk with him about his pained journey, no filters or wording to avoid the pact behind Return by Death (it made for quite an emotional scene on the last volume).

But yeah, she did not fool me, but I appreciated the try nonetheless Tappei, her honesty, going on a rant was funny but rather hard to read all that straight WALL TEXT (just like this post)!
I do believe she was being genuine when she said Echidna could come to love him, being already invested in his situation, but her actions, in the end, will always be born from her Greed.

All that matters IMO is how she thought about Beatrice's situation, which was the question I wanted him to ask, and that told us everything needed, she was the best girl material but deserves that rejection.

And we end with Satella...
Leaving the fact that the color illustrations spoil this moment, truly a masterpiece cliffhanger, IF you have been reading this, you have been reading for a LONG TIME, 12 volumes!
Such a build-up = peak moment in the series, and this arc!

Mod edit: title changed
-DxP-Mar 21, 2023 7:36 AM
Sep 20, 2023 8:52 AM
Community Mod
Equanimity

Nov 2020
Same threads about volume 12 merged.

More topics from this board

» Favorite arc in Re:Zero?

IchbinIch-Anime - Oct 13, 2021

16 by PsychicSensor »»
Apr 30, 9:27 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Volume 28 Discussion

mozgow - Apr 19

0 by mozgow »»
Apr 19, 11:37 PM

» Best Re: Zero chapters across all arcs?

iGotIceInMyRice - Mar 12

7 by mohamedo_abuduru »»
Mar 26, 12:25 AM

Poll: » How do you rate Arc 7 so far (poll)

Danube123 - Jul 6, 2022

16 by MrResidentFox »»
Feb 20, 8:27 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Chapter 20 Discussion

KelpRings - Jan 2

5 by iGotIceInMyRice »»
Jan 3, 10:39 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.