Forum Settings
Forums
No Game No Life (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Dec 12, 2018 4:39 AM
Mar 2018
This should be a sequel, meant to be watched after the original. Even the beginning and ending just spoil the whole show with the exact characters.
Dunno when this will get fixed but this same mistake has happened to fate/kaleid Illya prisma movie as well.
Dec 12, 2018 10:44 AM

May 2016
You are right in saying that this is supposed to be watched after the TV series, but it is not a sequel. Because it's going back and explaining events before No Game No Life, it's a prequel. Regardless, usually you are supposed to watch in the order of release.
Dec 12, 2018 5:38 PM
Mar 2018
PinkZach said:
You are right in saying that this is supposed to be watched after the TV series, but it is not a sequel. Because it's going back and explaining events before No Game No Life, it's a prequel. Regardless, usually you are supposed to watch in the order of release.

Thanks for response, but I doubt if new enterers of MAL when starting the series will be aware of the aired date. Sequel also means to start a theme occurred before the original, so setting that would be better.
Dec 12, 2018 6:02 PM

Oct 2014
As far as I am aware "prequel" and "sequel" both refer to the chronological order of events, not the order people are supposed to read/watch something.

For example the Fate/Zero Light Novel was created after the Fate/stay night Visual Novel. Yet Fate/Zero is considered a PREQUEL of Fate/stay night, because the events in Fate/Zero take place before the events in Fate/stay night chronologically.

And so No Game No Life: Zero, despite being created after No Game No Life, is considered a "prequel", because the events of NGNL:0 take place far in the past compared to the events of Sora and Shiro.
Grey-ZoneDec 12, 2018 6:05 PM
Dec 12, 2018 6:27 PM
Mar 2018
Grey-Zone said:
As far as I am aware "prequel" and "sequel" both refer to the chronological order of events, not the order people are supposed to read/watch something.

For example the Fate/Zero Light Novel was created after the Fate/stay night Visual Novel. Yet Fate/Zero is considered a PREQUEL of Fate/stay night, because the events in Fate/Zero take place before the events in Fate/stay night chronologically.

And so No Game No Life: Zero, despite being created after No Game No Life, is considered a "prequel", because the events of NGNL:0 take place far in the past compared to the events of Sora and Shiro.

Well, even looking at dictionary(my bad for being retarded), I still find this movie better to be sequel, since as I said, the beginning and ending are a theme to start revealing the past.

"Sequel:a published, broadcast, or recorded work that continues the story or develops the theme of an earlier one." Yes, the event takes place before(like f/z) but the whole show in general, especially the theme for that past revelation is a result from the prequel. Tet revealing the past after the victory of Elkia is a result, with the appearance of even main cast. If the show alone doesn't have that theme then it's fine to be a prequel.
Also as the meaning stated, those words don't matter to the chronological order since both of them can mean the story beforehand as well.
Dec 12, 2018 6:42 PM

Oct 2014
Gloomy-eyes said:
Grey-Zone said:

Well, even looking at dictionary(my bad for being retarded), I still find this movie better to be sequel, since as I said, the beginning and ending are a theme to start revealing the past.

"Sequel:a published, broadcast, or recorded work that continues the story or develops the theme of an earlier one." Yes, the event takes place before(like f/z) but the whole show in general, especially the theme for that past revelation is a result from the prequel. Tet revealing the past after the victory of Elkia is a result, with the appearance of even main cast. If the show alone doesn't have that theme then it's fine to be a prequel.
Also as the meaning stated, those words don't matter to the chronological order since both of them can mean the story beforehand as well.

That's not how people use these terms though. You really need to do some mental gymnastics to come to your conclusions. I mean it's already bad enough with pure timetravel stories like Steins;Gate where the "chronological order" is all over the place and Steins;Gate 0 is practically a "mid-quel" as its events take place close to the end, but still BEFORE the end, of the original Steins;Gate, not to mention all the various spin-offs, movies, OVAs, etc.

Compared to that, this case seems to be much more straightforward, I think.
Dec 12, 2018 7:06 PM
Mar 2018
Grey-Zone said:
Gloomy-eyes said:

That's not how people use these terms though. You really need to do some mental gymnastics to come to your conclusions. I mean it's already bad enough with pure timetravel stories like Steins;Gate where the "chronological order" is all over the place and Steins;Gate 0 is practically a "mid-quel" as its events take place close to the end, but still BEFORE the end, of the original Steins;Gate, not to mention all the various spin-offs, movies, OVAs, etc.

Compared to that, this case seems to be much more straightforward, I think.

lol I don't know there's a thing called "mid-quel".

But anw, thanks for that, tho based on that same thread about this in F/kaleid, I think there are many people use these terms like: what supposed to be watched first or next.
Apr 11, 2019 3:58 AM
Jan 2018
PinkZach said:

It's a story told in the present aka futher then the anime About the past
May 18, 2021 3:04 AM

Jan 2019
May 2021 and this is still not fixed, lol
May 18, 2021 3:08 AM

Dec 2013
Delisches said:

It doesn't need to be since this is a prequel.
May 18, 2021 5:14 AM

Jan 2019
G_Spark233 said:
Delisches said:

It's not a prequel, it's a sequel.
I don't know why you think it's a prequel.You can literally see in the first 5 minutes that this is a story told by Teto to Izuna AFTER the anime.

(anime LN 1-3, this movie, LN 6)
May 18, 2021 5:22 AM
Mar 2018
Delisches said:
G_Spark233 said:

I don't know why you think it's a prequel.You can literally see in the first 5 minutes that this is a story told by Teto to Izuna AFTER the anime.

I think both of you aren’t wrong.
The main difference between Sequel and Prequel is that the Sequel is a narrative that continues the story of previous work and Prequel is a literary, dramatic, or filmic work whose story precedes that of a previous work.
if sequel continues the previous work narrative wise while prequel defined story wise then calling it prequel or sequel are just as correct in this case. They aren’t contracting each other, though calling it prequel would make more sense here
May 18, 2021 5:44 AM

Dec 2013
Delisches said:
G_Spark233 said:

and the story that was told takes place before the anime.
May 18, 2021 6:08 AM

Jan 2019
G_Spark233 said:
Delisches said:

and the story that was told takes place before the anime.

By that logic, every anime contionation were a story is being told that takes place before the beginning of the show is now a prequel.

Therefore, season 2 of My Hero Academia is now a prequel to season 1 because Todoroki tells Deku his backstory. Please change this mal mods.

More topics from this board

Poll: » No Game No Life: Zero Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kisaragi - Jul 15, 2017

355 by FarCritical »»
Apr 23, 6:19 PM

» this movie is boring

Sunproof21 - Sep 28, 2021

42 by JJT1407 »»
Jan 21, 3:38 AM

Poll: » Schwi + Riku > Sora + Shiro

NotaMasterpiev - May 12, 2023

10 by Ionliosite2 »»
Sep 7, 2023 2:28 PM

Poll: » Preferred the movie to the series

Cestlavie_ - Jan 27, 2022

11 by removed-user »»
Aug 3, 2022 3:43 AM

» watch order?

Raulfin - May 26, 2022

18 by solomino »»
May 28, 2022 2:13 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.