Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 15, 2018 2:33 AM
Apr 2017
Who would you say in your opinion, is the most influential/ best manga artist out there today? What makes them stand out, from other manga artists, which you have read the manga from?
Nov 15, 2018 6:43 AM

Feb 2013
Most influential I'm really not sure about, but as for best I'd say it's without a doubt Furuya Usamaru, followed by Naoki Urasawa and Kumeta Kouji.

What really makes Furuya Usamaru the greatest to me is that he approaches the medium from an often very unique perspective. Genkaku Picasso isn't my favorite work of his, but it is the one that I think showcases it the best. It takes all of this generally pretty simple drama and uses very vivid imagery to really show you the emotion they are going through, rather than just telling you. His works like Marie no Kanaderu Ongaku, Happiness and his adaptation of Ningen Shikkaku are all further amazing examples of this.

Thinking about it some more, the likes of Toriyama and Araki wouldn't be the people they are if people like Go Nagai, Leiji Matsumoto and Shotaro Ishinomori hadn't been there before them to inspire and shape the medium. But those in turn wouldn't have done that either if not for Osamu Tezuka doing the same for them. It's a boring ass answer since it's the one you'll always reach, but Tezuka would have to be my choice for most influential. He made this medium what it is today, you can't really top that.
DysisaNov 15, 2018 4:23 PM
Nov 15, 2018 11:54 AM
Apr 2017
To be honest I never heard of them before. Perhaps I stumbled upon, or seen some of their work, but I'm now interested what their work is like.
Nov 15, 2018 12:15 PM
Sep 2012
Most influential probably Oda...the best artist it's hard to say, I'd say that perhaps the most talented is Yusuke Murata
Nov 15, 2018 12:27 PM

Feb 2015
oda hands down, ONE as well
Nov 15, 2018 1:05 PM

Sep 2015
There probably wouldn't be an Oda withount an Akira Toriyama and a Hirohiko Araki. So that would be about influence.
Nov 15, 2018 3:08 PM

Aug 2013
No idea for most influential, hard to tell (maybe Oda and Araki as said above), but for best I'd say Kaoru Mori or Natsume Ono. NisioIsin seems to be slowly creeping its influence as well, though he's mostly a LN writer.
Jan 16, 2019 12:11 PM
Nov 2018
All time- Osamu Tezuka
Today- Eichiro oda
Jan 20, 2019 12:13 AM

Feb 2008
Heldengeist said:
There probably wouldn't be an Oda withount an Akira Toriyama and a Hirohiko Araki. So that would be about influence.
Yah but you can keep going down the line. I mean in the 80s there’s guys like Takashi Shimada (Kinnikuman), Yōichi Takahashi (Captain Tsubasa), Tsukasa Hojo (City Hunter), Tetsuo Hara (Fist of the North Star), Masami Kurumada (Saint Seiya)...

Then the 60s and 70s Osamu Tezuka (Astro Boy), Shigeru Mizuki (Gegege no Kitaro), Asao Takamori (Ashita no Joe), Fujiko F. Fujio (Doraemon), Monkey Punch (Lupin III), Fujio Akatsuka (Osomatsu-kun)

And then it goes into western animations so ultimately the most influential is Walt Disney and DC Comics.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

378 by Hexcellion »»
8 hours ago

» From all the ongoing (and on hiatus) manga, you can choose only one to eventually reach a conclusion. Which one would it be?

Caciulacdlac - Apr 10

5 by nishant0 »»
10 hours ago

» Most obscure titles in your list.

Otakupervert890 - Feb 24

21 by nishant0 »»
11 hours ago

» Do you guys pick up completed axed manga.

zkl_ - Feb 28

13 by bucciest »»
12 hours ago

Poll: » What is your favorite shounen arc?

HM0710 - Sep 6, 2021

17 by Rhaelynne »»
Yesterday, 9:55 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.