Forum Settings
Forums

John Cena won’t appear at WWE Crown Jewel show in Saudi Arabia

New
Oct 30, 2018 2:30 PM

Dec 2016
Pro wrestler John Cena will not take part in the WWE Crown Jewel promotion Friday night in Saudi Arabia, an event that has been criticized because of the kingdom’s stance on human rights and because of the ongoing investigation into the death of Washington Post contributor Jamal Khashoggi, who disappeared after entering the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on Oct. 2.

WWE wrote Cena’s absence into Monday night’s episode of “Raw” when acting general manager Baron Corbin handed Cena’s spot in the World Cup field to Bobby Lashley, saying Lashley had earned his right to compete rather than simply being awarded a spot in the tournament, as Cena had.

Cena, a 16-time WWE champion who in recent years has spent time away from the ring while working on his acting career, has yet to publicly comment on his absence from the Crown Jewel event. He wrestled in WWE’s first major event in Saudi Arabia in April, the initial promotion in a 10-year partnership between WWE and the Saudi General Sports Authority. In an in-ring speech following his match against Triple H at King Abdullah Sports City Stadium in Jiddah, Cena said it was “an honor and a privilege” to participate in the event and thanked Saudi Arabia for “its unmatched hospitality.”

WWE in September announced its second Saudi Arabia card and had been promoting Cena as a participant in its first-ever World Cup tournament, which will take place during the Crown Jewel event.

Cena might not be alone in skipping Friday’s promotion. Sources have told PWInsider.com’s Mike Johnson that Daniel Bryan will not travel to Saudi Arabia, where he was scheduled to battle AJ Styles for the WWE championship. Bryan competes for WWE’s SmackDown brand, and more about this development could be revealed on Tuesday’s airing of “SmackDown Live.”

Turkish officials have concluded that a team of 15 Saudi agents was involved in Khashoggi’s killing, calling his death a premeditated crime. Khashoggi, a Saudi-born critic of Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, the de facto Saudi ruler, visited the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on Oct. 2 to retrieve paperwork for his upcoming marriage to his Turkish fiancee. His body has not been found; Turkish investigators say Khashoggi was murdered and then dismembered.

Nevertheless, WWE announced as part of its third-quarter financial report last week that it was moving forward with the Crown Jewel event.

“WWE has operated in the Middle East for nearly 20 years and has developed a sizable and dedicated fan base. Considering the heinous crime committed at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul, the Company faced a very difficult decision as it relates to its event scheduled for November 2 in Riyadh,” WWE said in the report. “Similar to other U.S.-based companies who plan to continue operations in Saudi Arabia, the Company has decided to uphold its contractual obligations to the General Sports Authority and stage the event. Full year 2018 guidance is predicated on the staging of the Riyadh event as scheduled.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2018/10/30/john-cena-wont-appear-wwe-crown-jewel-show-saudi-arabia/?utm_term=.3ed7aada306f

I certainly hope the real reason isn't that John Cena is a raging racist islamophobe. I mean, we can never be 100% sure. I am glad Lashley earned his spot instead of being in a completely privileged position due to being gifted a title sixteen times.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Oct 30, 2018 2:40 PM

Apr 2016
What does it matter anyway ? Even if he attend we won't see him.

God i love memes.
Oct 30, 2018 3:51 PM

Feb 2018
John Cena is making a good choice not going there. I wouldn't risk my life going to that event either just to do fake wrestling.
Oct 30, 2018 5:48 PM

Nov 2011
the mans looking to get into film nowadays no point him doing something stupid like going to saudi arabia after everything thats kicked off in recent weeks....better for his image to boycott it.
SWFC

We're all Wednesday arent we?
Oct 31, 2018 1:30 AM
Jul 2018
He's strategic in his choices, but Cena pretty much is already a legend in the WWE, (they pushed him that way).
Oct 31, 2018 2:09 AM

Sep 2018
There is no such thing as an "islamophobe". No one runs away screaming when they see one.

I would never enter one of their countries either as you don't have basic human rights and SA are one of the worst of the lot. I don't know who the guy is but good on him for standing up for what he believes in.
Oct 31, 2018 2:44 AM

Dec 2016
So what I can gather from the posts in this thread, John Cena is merely afraid to risk his Hollywood career/popularity by participating in a cultural diplomatic exchange between the US and SA.

@Swagernator

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.