Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 25, 2018 11:51 AM
A Monster

May 2018
I have noticed that there are no like button for post or threads. If someone makes a post or thread there should be a like button to indicate that his/hers post was liked. Why don't we have one in here? Most forums have something like this
"Never Give Up Without A Fight" By Zuko
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Oct 25, 2018 11:57 AM

Jun 2017
So what will happen?! You want to prove that no one reads my posts :(
Oct 25, 2018 1:23 PM
A Monster

May 2018
Have you ever been on any other forums? It helps us to monitor if our post/threads are being effective or not. I have post a ton of responses and i have no idea if anyone read or even likes my comments.
Oct 25, 2018 1:47 PM

Jun 2017
TanyaTheEvill said:
Have you ever been on any other forums? It helps us to monitor if our post/threads are being effective or not. I have post a ton of responses and i have no idea if anyone read or even likes my comments.

Well, the forums I were or I am, for all of them people which are friends with each other like each other comments no matter how good/bad they are and superior users (mods and well-known users) always have more likes and this discourages me from continuing to discuss...

Also like button system will encourage elitism somehow
Oct 25, 2018 1:52 PM
Jul 2018
nah i think things are better without it
Oct 25, 2018 1:55 PM

Oct 2018
Then there will be no valuable discussion, someones just gonna say the popular opinion and they're going to get the likes and it'll just turn into a dick measuring contest.

Social media is already bad enough, and so is MAL, so let's not mix the two.

Don't worry about being lame now, you were always lame anyway!

Oct 25, 2018 2:00 PM
A Monster

May 2018
BackstageMage said:
Then there will be no valuable discussion, someones just gonna say the popular opinion and they're going to get the likes and it'll just turn into a dick measuring contest.

Social media is already bad enough, and so is MAL, so let's not mix the two.

I don't think so. It is a measuring rod just to know if what we are saying is reaching anyone. You are definitely wrong there for sure. I don't think you have been on any other forums because 99% of them have it. It is located where the quote button is and anyone can just either quote you or like what you are saying, simple as that there
Oct 25, 2018 2:01 PM
A Monster

May 2018
Hatred said:

You must not have any experience in other forums then, because most of them have it
Oct 25, 2018 2:04 PM

Apr 2016
Get this shit to reddit.

We dont need that circlejerk bullshit here.
Oct 25, 2018 2:05 PM
A Monster

May 2018
mhkr said:
TanyaTheEvill said:

Well, the forums I were or I am, for all of them people which are friends with each other like each other comments no matter how good/bad they are and superior users (mods and well-known users) always have more likes and this discourages me from continuing to discuss...

Also like button system will encourage elitism somehow

I don't think so. it never promotes elitism or superiority. That there is just wrong thinking altogether. I like to see if i connected with someone from what my comment said. It encourages me to continue to respond to other peoples threads or post
Oct 25, 2018 2:05 PM
Jul 2018
TanyaTheEvill said:
Hatred said:

You must not have any experience in other forums then, because most of them have it

yeah i know they do which is why i don't want the mal forums to have it.
Oct 25, 2018 2:08 PM
A Monster

May 2018
Hatred said:
TanyaTheEvill said:

yeah i know they do which is why i don't want the mal forums to have it.

Well i do and i think it is an excellent idea for these forums. Hopefully an admin will take notice and see the need for it. This idea that it cause elitism or superiority is not normal thinking
Oct 25, 2018 2:31 PM
A Monster

May 2018
Swagernator said:
Get this shit to reddit.

We dont need that circlejerk bullshit here.

Yes there is a need for it in these forums. I never seen so much hostility over a subject before in any forums and trust me i am in a lot and not just anime related.
Oct 25, 2018 2:55 PM

Jun 2017
TanyaTheEvill said:

I like to see if i connected with someone from what my comment said. It encourages me to continue to respond to other peoples threads or post

Find a way to make friends with active users in forums and your comments would read by people.

Also if your posts are worth to read I'm assure people eventually will read them. Like I always read Pullman and romagia's posts on Anime Discussion...
Oct 25, 2018 3:04 PM
A Monster

May 2018
mhkr said:
TanyaTheEvill said:

I like to see if i connected with someone from what my comment said. It encourages me to continue to respond to other peoples threads or post

Find a way to make friends with active users in forums and your comments would read by people.

Also if your posts are worth to read I'm assure people eventually will read them. Like I always read Pullman and romagia's posts on Anime Discussion...

Thank you, i can understand that it is a great idea to discuss subjects and make friends that way. You make a very valid point
Oct 25, 2018 3:23 PM

Apr 2016
You talk so much about "other forums", why dont you just stay there ? They seems much better than MAL.
Oct 25, 2018 4:02 PM
A Monster

May 2018
Swagernator said:
You talk so much about "other forums", why dont you just stay there ? They seems much better than MAL.

Why don't you just leave mal for good. We don't need people like you who is so disrespectful. No where did i say they were better. But what i am saying that this idea will make mal better
Oct 25, 2018 4:19 PM

Jul 2017
if so posts will get 'compared' by the amount of likes they receive
and many people might be discouraged to post anything if their posts receive few to no likes
Oct 25, 2018 4:20 PM
Feb 2012
i'd rather see the return of the not helpful button on reviews than a like button anywhere else

and now there's probably lots of users that don't remember the not helpful button and that makes me sad
ahneemeOct 25, 2018 4:42 PM
Oct 25, 2018 4:24 PM
A Monster

May 2018
MayoiYui said:
and many people might be discouraged to post anything if their posts receive few to no likes
MayoiYui said:

Others do not need to know how many likes. The idea would be the the person would get a notification that Bob likes your comment. However if the amount of likes is shown it only means that what the person said is connecting and it helps others to think along those terms on how to connect or say things that are positive.
Oct 25, 2018 4:31 PM

Jan 2013
AniList has this and I find it really useful. I use it when I agree with someone's opinion but don't have anything to add myself (on MAL you'd have to quote the person and get past the 30char limit forcing yourself to write something, which is stupid), or when I want to just thank someone without writing it. You know, the second one isn't actually a problem on AniList, because there's no character limit and you can just write 'thanks'. It'd actually be more useful on MAL than it is on AniList.
Oct 25, 2018 4:37 PM
A Monster

May 2018
fuyuki said:
AniList has this and I find it really useful. I use it when I agree with someone's opinion but don't have anything to add myself (on MAL you'd have to quote the person and get past the 30char limit forcing yourself to write something, which is stupid), or when I want to just thank someone without writing it. You know, the second one isn't actually a problem on AniList, because there's no character limit and you can just write 'thanks'. It'd actually be more useful on MAL than it is on AniList.

Right on
Oct 25, 2018 6:45 PM

Feb 2010
fuyuki said:

I am for this too- if it's only the like button. That in particular works out well on other forums I use.
Oct 25, 2018 7:28 PM
Jul 2018
Honestly I agree.

I think a trial period would be a good start.
Oct 26, 2018 12:58 AM
Feb 2012
^thanks for putting some actual thought into this

papsoshea said:
fuyuki said:
AniList has this and I find it really useful. I use it when I agree with someone's opinion but don't have anything to add myself (on MAL you'd have to quote the person and get past the 30char limit forcing yourself to write something, which is stupid), or when I want to just thank someone without writing it. You know, the second one isn't actually a problem on AniList, because there's no character limit and you can just write 'thanks.'

If there was no character limit, it would encourage laziness and less discussion as you explained above — short answers, "thanks" or your typical "yes" and "no" comments that flood threads in other forums. If you agree with someone's opinion, let them know why. If you want to thank them, let them know on their wall. Forums would first get messy with short answer threads followed by low activity.

yeah I agree with this

I know there's a lot of new users here but MAL used to be riddled with circlejerk threads like this one- https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=612175&show=0
consisting of quote towers and gif reactions, "^ye" "muh nigga" "jelly?" "problem?"

and while you can surpass with character limit by posting random shit, the fact is that most users take the time to write more
I know that's not always a good thing but it has gotten rid of these clique circle jerks that used to be everywhere on here
now people will mostly restrain themselves to the forum games forum which is better

anilist has some great features but MAL has other larger problems to tackle like their mostly dead manga database team for example
ahneemeOct 26, 2018 1:05 AM
Oct 26, 2018 1:20 AM

Jan 2013
papsoshea said:
fuyuki said:
AniList has this and I find it really useful. I use it when I agree with someone's opinion but don't have anything to add myself (on MAL you'd have to quote the person and get past the 30char limit forcing yourself to write something, which is stupid), or when I want to just thank someone without writing it. You know, the second one isn't actually a problem on AniList, because there's no character limit and you can just write 'thanks.'

If there was no character limit, it would encourage laziness and less discussion as you explained above — short answers, "thanks" or your typical "yes" and "no" comments that flood threads in other forums. If you agree with someone's opinion, let them know why. If you want to thank them, let them know on their wall. Forums would first get messy with short answer threads followed by low activity.
No it doesn't encourage laziness, I don't want to write some forced text when I just want to show my appreciation instead of actively taking part in discussion, I sometimes want to avoid nitpicking from other people who might quote me further and thus force me to participate, and it also feels weird to me to suddenly move a public conversation to private just to say 'thanks'. If there needs to be a character limit, at least make it five chars.

ahneeme said:
I know there's a lot of new users here but MAL used to be riddled with circlejerk threads like this one- https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=612175&show=0
consisting of quote towers and gif reactions, "^ye" "muh nigga" "jelly?" "problem?"

This is an old thread, the forum has new rules nowadays (x vs y threads aren't allowed now). Mods generally get rid of those shitpost threads nowadays.

and while you can surpass with character limit by posting random shit
You get banned if it looks too obvious, though. I was banned once for a week.
fuyukiOct 26, 2018 2:01 AM
Oct 26, 2018 2:14 AM

Feb 2013
Don't really see how it adds anything meaningful beyond adding an easier means to have your ego stroked.
Oct 26, 2018 2:20 AM

Apr 2016
TanyaTheEvill said:
Why don't you just leave mal for good. We don't need people like you

And who the fuck are you to telling me that MAL dont need users like me ? Are you MAL staff ?

It does not make MAL better it make MAL the same circlejerk trash can as r/anime is.

@Ardanaz i think its time to lock this thread, this was suggested billion times.
SwagernatorOct 26, 2018 2:26 AM
Oct 26, 2018 2:33 AM

Aug 2014
Thread locked

Suggested many times before. It's not happening.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Add list setting to make notes private (on public lists)

S_h_a_r_k_93 - Nov 12, 2022

25 by anonymate »»
Apr 24, 9:57 PM

» Add number of episodes and number of members in the advanced search.

Yacine2104 - Jan 10

8 by Alexioos95 »»
Apr 24, 12:26 PM

» Local Language districts

kuroneko99 - Apr 22

5 by Luchipher-Zen »»
Apr 23, 1:02 PM

Poll: » Change picture of favorite character ( 1 2 )

gehoti2822 - Nov 12, 2022

60 by AgravityBoy »»
Apr 23, 9:09 AM

» Corporate images

Noctisnox - May 15, 2023

19 by himanshi122 »»
Apr 19, 5:51 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.