Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 19, 2018 8:30 AM

Jan 2018
What are you favorite "Queen of J-Pop", as for mine, it is Hikaru Utada, an singer best known for its Kingdom Hearts opening theme song she performed

(sorry for my poor English)
Oct 19, 2018 8:39 AM

Nov 2008
Nana Mizuki with Yui Ogura being my favorite J-Pop princess.

Oct 19, 2018 9:25 AM

Jun 2014
Hmm, I don't know if I could choose just one.

Seiko Matsuda, Akina Nakamori, Mako Ishino and Hiromi Iwasaki are among my top favorites.

Oct 19, 2018 11:51 AM

Jul 2014
Meiko Kaji is my favourite Japanese singer but she's definitely not J-Pop so my pick would probably be Miki Matsubara.
Take care of yourself

Oct 19, 2018 11:58 AM

Jan 2018
I see a lot of people grew up litsening to J-Pop through 1980s and 1990s, i am kinda surpised.
Oct 19, 2018 5:31 PM

Jan 2015

la critique de l'intention pure
Oct 20, 2018 2:24 AM

Jan 2018
Wow, even @karambia grew up litsening to the J-Pop songs of 1980s and 1990s, i am totally suprised.
Oct 21, 2018 3:17 AM

Jan 2018
hotsushikun said:
I see a lot of people grew up litsening to J-Pop through 1980s and 1990s, i am kinda surpised.

I think J-pop was more popular than K-pop that time. ^^

@ topic: BoA Kwon - though she's originally a Korean, she's also famous for J-pop songs... like "Every Heart" an ED song from Inu Yasha.

and also, Ayumi Hamasaki.
Oct 21, 2018 3:19 AM

Jan 2018
woahitsai said:
hotsushikun said:

I think J-pop was more popular than K-pop that time. ^^

@ topic: BoA Kwon - though she's originally a Korean, she's also famous for J-pop songs... like "Every Heart" an ED song from Inu Yasha.

and also, Ayumi Hamasaki.

Yeah, Boa is an Korean singer who releases both Korean and Japanese language release. And i do recall litsening to Every Heart song on Inuyash ED theme on Animax. She is beautiful and have such an innocent voice.
Oct 21, 2018 3:35 AM

Jan 2018
hotsushikun said:
Yeah, Boa is an Korean singer who releases both Korean and Japanese language release. And i do recall litsening to Every Heart song on Inuyash ED theme on Animax. She is beautiful and have such an innocent voice.

Yup. I remember my early teen years when I was so addicted to Friendster, I create an mp3 playlist with a bunch of J-pop songs. Mostly songs from BoA! My favorites are Brand New Beat, Love Letter, Amazing Kiss, Double, Atlantis Princess (this one's Korean though! Haha)
Oct 21, 2018 3:39 AM

Jan 2018
woahitsai said:
hotsushikun said:

Yup. I remember my early teen years when I was so addicted to Friendster, I create an mp3 playlist with a bunch of J-pop songs. Mostly songs from BoA! My favorites are Brand New Beat, Love Letter, Amazing Kiss, Double, Atlantis Princess (this one's Korean though! Haha)

BoA will still be part of our nostalgia hard times though.
Oct 21, 2018 10:32 AM
Jul 2018
My brain wants to say Ayumi Hamasaki, Seiko Matsuda, Utada Hikaru, Mai Kuraki, etc.

but my heart says Kyary.
May 22, 2019 7:47 AM
May 2019
I like many songs from all the ones I list below so I am hesitant to order them, but I will give the first two a slight edge. I know all of these had number 1 albums or number 1 songs so I think that qualifies as having at least pop elements.

Akina Nakamori and Namie Amoru - They edge out the others for me because think they had the greatest number of songs and styles that I enjoy with the most versatility and listenability across a range of years. Great at ballads, dance and rock music, with Akina being great at jazz and traditional music as well, also like the lower register and power in their voices. I can't help but feel the working out of the personal hardships they faced and stigmatization they endured coming through in their music, but in very different ways.

Shina Ringo loved her early albums combining pop, punk, rock and jazz, some of the best singles I have ever head, but there are also songs I don't "get" and find it harder to listen to. I also like her later jazz just not as much. The discordance in her sound worked better for me earlier on.

Kana Nishino moves my emotions a lot with a number of her songs. I really like her smooth transition in and out of the high register and the beauty and sincerity in her singing in songs like Suki, Sayonara and Best Friends among others, but. I don't think she has the range and versatility of styles like those mentioned above, but I really enjoy her music.

hitomi unexpected because the last one I found and had not heard her mentioned much. Can't describe. Great voice because though it is quite high she really rings out the notes with a lot of shine. Driving, edgy but with a flowing sweetness mixed with tougher realism in her sound. Many songs feel like catchy, driving psychedelic pop rock. Great music from 1999-2002.

Pink Lady- they were the first J pop band I heard so they have a special place. So cute and catchy with fine harmonies and wonderfully synchronized dance moves but there is kind of a greatness in them to me that seems like an archetype that can't be repeated. By far my all time favorite girl dance band or pair.

Nana Mizuki- epic anime rock orchestration. and an incredible voice with such great low vibratto, in which Akina also excels so well, to go with her excellent high register. I really enjoy a number of her songs like Eternal Blaze and Bright Stream.

Yui I really like the first CD of her greatest hits collection a lot. Need to listen to her more to put into words why I really like these songs.

Momoe Yamaguchi- the second one I heard and seems kind of the foundation for Akina to follow. I like her deep rich and lush vocals with emotional resonance.

Ayumi Ishida- I could never imagine a voice more hauntingly beautiful in its nostalgia for evoking past memories. Her voice flutters and shifts the notes with playful and wistful dexterity before settling into a long slightly whining resonant ring that rolls out smoothly at the end of each vocal roll. Blue Light Yokohama is a sublime song that keeps playing in my mind.

JapanMusicFanMay 22, 2019 11:53 AM
May 22, 2019 8:23 AM
Mar 2011
more rocky than Idol
Hamada Mari
Nokko
ジーン - ボーカル [Lead singer of MR Kite]
Yasue Miina [ The Female Punk Icon of Japan ]
CHITOSE [ Vocalist of The comes]
Iwachan [ Vocalist of Brain Death]
KUMMY[Vocalist from Boys Boys]
Kojima Sachio
Anri
Junko [ Vocalist from KYAHH→ and R A P]
Kyon[ Saboten]
Togawa Jun
Onishi Aya [ Vocalist from Sekiri]

DateYutakaMay 22, 2019 8:28 AM
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
May 22, 2019 10:42 AM

Jun 2014
I thought that I should mention something. I noticed that some people here like a singer named "Hikaru Utada." I've never listened to her music, but the character, Nozomi Mine in "Sasurai no Taiyou," is based on her mother, "Keiko Fuji's" career. I'm currently watching the Anime. It was her only role in an Anime to my knowledge. She also sings in it as well.

Sadly, she committed suicide in 2013 by jumping out the 13th floor of a 28-floor building.

May 23, 2019 7:05 AM

Jan 2018
Seiya said:
I thought that I should mention something. I noticed that some people here like a singer named "Hikaru Utada." I've never listened to her music, but the character, Nozomi Mine in "Sasurai no Taiyou," is based on her mother, "Keiko Fuji's" career. I'm currently watching the Anime. It was her only role in an Anime to my knowledge. She also sings in it as well.

Sadly, she committed suicide in 2013 by jumping out the 13th floor of a 28-floor building.

RIP, so sorry for her loss. But why did she killed herself anyway?
May 23, 2019 7:18 AM

Jun 2014
hotsushikun said:
Seiya said:

We can only assume that she was depressed. The real reason is unknown, because she did not leave a suicide note.

May 23, 2019 7:26 AM

Jan 2018
Seiya said:
hotsushikun said:

We can only assume that she was depressed. The real reason is unknown, because she did not leave a suicide note.

Okay, i am sure she will be in good on the afterlife.
Aug 14, 2019 7:22 PM
Mar 2011
what do ya; guys think of my list
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Aug 14, 2019 7:42 PM

May 2016
Akina Nakamori is my favorite Japanese singer. I love deep female voices, and hers is simply lovely.
I also love Momoe Yamaguchi. She seemed such a confident woman, really cool.
I will mention Ayumi Hamasaki too. She is not who she used to be, but I still like her. Listening to her 2000s stuff bring me memories, when I used to download her songs in terrible quality xD
Aug 15, 2019 1:29 AM

Jun 2016
Ayumi Hamasaki is the only correct answer.

However my queen is Misa from Band-Maid (bass)

Aug 15, 2019 1:45 AM
Mar 2011
Vorpality said:

nice choice bur someone like here woudl not have been picked up by anyone withot people in my list

Rock and Vkei PUNK were male-dominated untill the people i list let women in and some one lliek Asakawa Maki form Lidberg

Aug 15, 2019 2:10 AM

Jun 2016
DateYutaka said:
Vorpality said:

nice choice bur someone like here woudl not have been picked up by anyone withot people in my list

Rock and Vkei PUNK were male-dominated untill the people i list let women in and some one lliek Asakawa Maki form Lidberg

Considering Show-Ya is an all female metal band that formed in 1981, you're wrong.

Band-Maid also aren't visual kei.

But alright.
Aug 15, 2019 3:13 AM
Mar 2011
Vorpality said:
DateYutaka said:

Considering Show-Ya is an all female metal band that formed in 1981, you're wrong.

But alright.

mmost oof the ones i listed are form the ; late 1970's and early 1980's and show ya was an outlyer over all

MR kite were frocem in 1978 Kyaa formed in 1981 as a fan of show ya thye did not have there brake out untill 1990 while bands like loudness were selling out big aeras and X were the metal band ot sell out the Egg in 1989

look up the people in my list ad you will see what i mean

Aug 16, 2019 12:01 AM

Jun 2016
DateYutaka said:
Vorpality said:

But alright.

mmost oof the ones i listed are form the ; late 1970's and early 1980's and show ya was an outlyer over all

MR kite were frocem in 1978 Kyaa formed in 1981 as a fan of show ya thye did not have there brake out untill 1990 while bands like loudness were selling out big aeras and X were the metal band ot sell out the Egg in 1989

The "first" Japanese metal band was Flower Travelin Band in the 60's and also arguably the ever-elusive Les Rallizes Dénudés.

The first visual kei band wasn't X, it was Dead End who did it five years before they did. Yoshiki just happened to be the mastermind behind making it into a movement. Dead End were already signed and had two albums out by the Time X released Vanishing Vision, and i'm not taking away from X at all, they're my favorite band.

There were many all female Japanese metal and punk bands before the 90's, Show-Ya, Battle Axe, Shonen Knife, etc.
Aug 16, 2019 2:32 AM
Mar 2011
Vorpality said:
DateYutaka said:

The "first" Japanese metal band was Flower Travelin Band in the 60's and also arguably the ever-elusive Les Rallizes Dénudés.

The first visual kei band wasn't X, it was Dead End who did it five years before they did. Yoshiki just happened to be the mastermind behind making it into a movement. Dead End were already signed and had two albums out by the Time X released Vanishing Vision, and i'm not taking away from X at all, they're my favorite band.

There were many all female Japanese metal and punk bands before the 90's, Show-Ya, Battle Axe, Shonen Knife, etc.

note i never said first i siad first ot sell out a sayduim dend end never soold out the tokyo dome till after X did

Flower Travelin Band were are acid rock akin ot erly floyd and UFO scene in London form th3 late 1960's rtaher than metal

LRD were more Noise rock than metal so there more a forerunner to people Jojo Hiroshige and the alacahny record bunch of noise and new Wave witch induced Jun Togawa some form my list

if you wish to say ony real punk is Political Punk then Zunou Keisatsu would be called the first punk band form japan [ though there were more in the elcrto funk band iorinally the ordei end of the Japanese folk boom of the 1970s of band like Kguya hime and Tama and alike

minus Jun togawa all the ones in my list are form the hardcore punk genre of baned fromed forn 1978-1982 [ some still gping some not] and ike

unlike Metal who got NWOBHM band trouing japan in 1981 Iron madien truned japan for killers not western harcore punk bands touned japan so it had to devlop on it own if witch minus the stalin and a few other ahrdcore punk in Japan was largy female led

Mr kite Sekiri Brain death etal among the leaders more akin to the riot grrrl movmnet in the 1990's Sekiri were singing about open and graphically about female sexuality in very sex-positive feminist way in 1980's Japan [ Onishi was alsoa card-carrying member of the Communist party ]

band like Sekiri did more for women is music than any oild ever did adn in Sekiri's case there cases outlasted that of most Idols too 35 plus years and still active there last new album was in 2012 there last comoplation was last year id also put Sekiri as one of the best bands out cp,e put put of the Osaka scene ever] and yes teh Osaka ramoans also came from osaka] that is Shonen knife

the Yokosuka sence while not female-driven as the osaka scene was were the Japanese Oi bands manly came from

Ngaoya begin mianly there japanese mecca of death metal Nakoya Kei is Japanese Death abnd black metal bot manly Death metal band and acts srling from [ but ths is newer thing

while osaka and Yokosuka, if you know the right people, has some of th bets hardcore/ extreme music in the world

exaplore fi you wish the 1980's Osaka punk scene its akin to what was hapnning the so cal ath the same time but mostly without the pop tinge not the later si cal bands like late era Descendents or the pop-punk tinge of new wave bands like the Go Gos

Pop Punk began first in Japan but never took of untill post the metal boom shonen knife toured teh UK before thye ever sold even 10k arean in Japan cause in uk when tourde there new wave/ pop-punk act like vapors undertones and billy idol were and there hight so there tigers infused punk did well

Aug 17, 2019 5:39 AM

Jan 2018
@DateYutaka

You have horrible English, that is why we want to ban you from this site!
Aug 17, 2019 5:55 AM
Jul 2019
music favorite is rock
kkkkkkk
Aug 18, 2019 8:22 PM

Aug 2012
Hayashibara Megumi and Ogata Megumi.
"Could you not talk with me? I'm busy breathing."

More topics from this board

» hardcore/skramz/emo/metalcore/post-hardcore/post-metal/blackened/crust

bloodecho - Feb 14

31 by Mattenan »»
4 hours ago

» Anime songs in your playlist

bevarnow - Mar 11

3 by Theo1899 »»
5 hours ago

» What was the last song you listened to? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Death - Oct 1, 2020

3384 by NiaAlexandria »»
6 hours ago

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7584 by NiaAlexandria »»
6 hours ago

» What's your favorite song?

DollzchanAi - Apr 18

11 by Toooooooooohru »»
8 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.