Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 8, 2018 7:22 PM

Dec 2016
Normally, when you make a rec, you want the recommended one to be the less popular one, even more when there's a huge gap in popularity levels. You want the popular show to be the one at the left ("if you liked..")and the less popular one the one at the right ("then you might like.."), but I've been wanting now to make a rec with these characteristics and the less popular one end ups at the left side no matter if I make the rec from the page of the popular title or the page of the unpopular title, in the end the less popular always appears at the left side and to me that way it doesn't work and looks strange, because it would be like telling the users that I think the non-popular one is the popular one and they should try the popular one they already know about, which is nonsense.

I've made recs in the past and I've never had this problem; the show I want to appear in the right side (the recommended one) ends up appearing in that side if I start the rec from the page of said show. But now...it's impossible, no matter from what title page I start the rec, the order stays the same; the title I want to recommend appears in the left.

Is this a current problem, maybe occasioned after the MAL shutdown or it's me the one doing something wrong?
Sep 8, 2018 9:30 PM

Oct 2011
It looks to me like it's dependent on when they were added to the database. Older entries tend to be on the left and newer entries will be on the right. If you look at the URL of an anime or manga entry, you'll see a number which indicates when the series was added (I'm not completely sure). This is the only consistent pattern that I could find.

If you take the below URLs as an example, Tenkuu no Escaflowne was the 182th entry and Magic Knight Rayearth was the 435th. Therefore, Tenkyuu will always be on the left and Magic on the right.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/182/Tenkuu_no_Escaflowne
https://myanimelist.net/anime/435/Magic_Knight_Rayearth

I have a feeling that it's always been like this, but I never paid much attention to the order of recs in the past.
MeguminSep 8, 2018 9:33 PM
Sep 9, 2018 1:30 AM

Dec 2016
Chaste said:
It looks to me like it's dependent on when they were added to the database. Older entries tend to be on the left and newer entries will be on the right. If you look at the URL of an anime or manga entry, you'll see a number which indicates when the series was added (I'm not completely sure). This is the only consistent pattern that I could find.

If you take the below URLs as an example, Tenkuu no Escaflowne was the 182th entry and Magic Knight Rayearth was the 435th. Therefore, Tenkyuu will always be on the left and Magic on the right.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/182/Tenkuu_no_Escaflowne
https://myanimelist.net/anime/435/Magic_Knight_Rayearth

I have a feeling that it's always been like this, but I never paid much attention to the order of recs in the past.

Oh I didn't know that. Makes sense in that case.
May 12, 2019 7:44 PM

Nov 2012
I was going to make a new thread asking this question but saw this with essentially the same issue so thought I'd revive this one instead, sorry if that was the wrong thing to do!

Is there a way to specify which side and anime series appears on a recommendation rather than the way it goes by default?

If you look at my recent recommendation, I recommended Cyborg 009 VS Devilman to those that watched Crybaby. Crybaby is far bigger and a recent hit so fresh in peoples minds, currently it reads as if you liked Cyborg 009 VS Devilman you might like Devilman : Crybaby. This is the opposite of how I'd like for it to read. I get it's because VS was added to the database first but the recommendation doesn't sound right since Crybaby is far far more popular.

Is there such a feature? Or do you think it would be possible to request such a feature?
I have a third testicle that gives me psychic powers
May 13, 2019 9:01 AM

Nov 2012
I'm gonna bump this so hopefully someone sees it and if not I'll start a new thread for it.

/bump\
I have a third testicle that gives me psychic powers
May 14, 2019 12:31 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
It's not possible to choose which anime appears on which side.

The current imlementation of the rec feature is a bit inconsistent.

1) On the DB pages it's supposed to work in both directions. So if you recommed two shows A and B then your rec will appear on both DB pages of A and B in the rec section.

2) On the other hand, the "Anime Recommendations" page kind of suggests that recs work in one direction with the "if you like A then you might like B".

There are probably not many cases where you would recommend A-->B and not B-->A so it does make sense that the feature works in both directions. Making it partly one-directional (including picking which anime is on which side) would require a lot of dev work.

More topics from this board

» I can't use forums using Windows High Contrast anymore

vasipi4946 - 5 hours ago

1 by vasipi4946 »»
51 minutes ago

Sticky: » Inactive Username Request Thread ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Sep 21, 2015

3372 by GARFIELDD666 »»
4 hours ago

» [Reported] Username being auto-pasted into search bar

DariTheWeeb - Feb 19

49 by DeadPiles »»
8 hours ago

» IP ban glitch?

AverageRiceFan - Apr 21

2 by hich4n_ »»
Yesterday, 12:15 PM

» ishinashi has 300 alt accounts and counting ( 1 2 3 )

deg - Jun 16, 2023

127 by Spunkert »»
Yesterday, 6:05 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.