Forum Settings
Forums

Is it hard for you to give new 10/10s because you are too biased towards your first 10/10s?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Sep 10, 2018 10:09 AM

Jan 2013
No, my first 10/10s aren't even 10/10s anymore, and the last time I gave something the highest score was less than a year ago.
Sep 10, 2018 10:14 AM

Apr 2014
Not really, as my rating is purely based on my own enjoyment.
Sep 10, 2018 10:21 AM

May 2015
I usually come across the problem of ironically giving stuff 10 out of 10s and not touching them until I come across an actual 10/10. Usually once the actual 10/10 comes around I find myself re-evaluating quite a few series since they would no longer match my 10/10 criteria. I've never had bias towards my first 10/10s though. Back in the day I considered Blue Exorcist and Soul Eater as 10/10 material but nowadays I've simply seen better stuff and accept that I've seen better stuff.
Sep 10, 2018 10:23 AM

May 2014
Mushishi is riding straight to the 10/10 station at this rate, even though I'm watching it just now.
Sep 10, 2018 10:34 AM

Sep 2018
Nah, it's not hard for me. Only a few anime deserve 10/10, but, if the last one I watched is a masterpiece, I'm sure that I will give it 10/10 without thinking twice
Sep 10, 2018 10:42 AM

Apr 2014
not really because of my first few 10/10's, but because i've seen more and more anime since then, so my taste sours over time and i find myself judging a lot more.

though, if a show is 10/10, then it's 10/10, can't really argue.
Sep 10, 2018 10:49 AM

Nov 2017
I'm having problems not only finding 10/10 shows, but also finding 9/10 and 8/10 shows. I don't know if it is because I'm biased or not, but this is my situation.
Sep 10, 2018 11:02 AM

Oct 2011
Worthy or not isn't a factor for me. I also hate to compare a previous, unrelated series, to a present one.
I mostly rely on my intuition of what jives with me most, and rate accordingly. So saying, I don't wow at Epic Saga plots, just that balance between fun, simple and presentable. Could say my 10s aren't that deserving in a way haha, but to me they're worth it.

I think 10s are just given to what resonates with the viewer the most.

Sep 10, 2018 3:49 PM

Aug 2018
The only time I gave a 10 was to LotGH, because there is no bad episode and it is the closest show to perfection from my point of view. I enjoyed all of it, even tho after the first 10 is when the show gets awesome, at first it seems just a good show. Evangelion is my other one close to it but it has some bs that I found annoying. HxH had it issues too. I enjoy a lot of anime, but the only ones that deserve 10/10 are the ones you almost feel perfect. Every time someone gives a 10/10 to a show like MHA I get triggered... I am objective so I dislike people that say dumb stuff like "this is the best anime/character".

Sep 11, 2018 11:21 PM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
"10 Anime/manga that I enjoyed immensely and was simply superb (mostly favorite)"

Basically Anime that I enjoyed as whole a lot. Is 10 for me. 9 is basically as well immense enjoyment but feels as it "lacks" something.

In the end my scoring system is up to my gut feeling and what I get out of it.
Sep 12, 2018 2:18 AM

Jan 2014
Hmmm I really don't know, I mean obviously everyone is going to have some sort of bias because its inevitable.

I really only choose and watch based on what might interest me at that moment and not really what I think will be "great or epic." I don't hold onto old anime (10s) I've watched as benchmarks for quality, but more of just a score for overall experience I've had while watching a show at that time and place relative to everything else that was occurring around me and in my life at that time, also including how I feel what the show's score should still be today (personally).

Like how moments were presented, if the music/score was captivating with the scenario, if the plot was clever & interesting, if the show kept me mentally engaged at a good rate, if the art was clean/amazing, the general vibe of the show, how memorable it all was as a show,the message and themes of it all, etc etc the list goes on. I don't think about it all in very pin point detail and critiques even, I just watch and think to myself, this one's a 7, or this ones a 9, its just comes quickly to me. Ponder about the +/- variations a little bit, but the general placing doesn't take long usually in my mind consider how many episodes I've seen of the show up till that point (I drop a shit ton of shows, but at least I give some things a try).

It's funny... just like the other day on youtube I listen to music/music videos that have like millions and millions and even billions of views and just think it's amazing how many people around the world watch this.

But then I check out some Beethoven just out of pure boredom and music like Debussy - Clair de Lune and I'm literally in awe of how beautiful some of these composition are... which were composed years and years ago in an older era of time. It's just a different tier of music. Both fall into the category of music, one is classical while the other is modern. They are just different styles of music, but if I wanted stack them up relative to eachother I mean... honestly, it's not even close really if we are talking about the quality of the music.

That's kinda how I feel about anime nowadays compared to before. There are still shows that come along that are fantastic don't get me wrong, which even I rated quite highly but overall it's almost become a lost art of sorts with me. Anime is not what it used to be, it's in a completely different time and place now.
It's still considered anime because it falls in the same artistic category, or medium, (or however technical you want to be) but it was just a different trend and experience as a viewer back then, compared to today. Different time and place, different outlook on what was being produced at the time and what was popular, there's just too many factors to list and consider.

I do think a lot of shows are trash nowadays, more so than ever, even if more shows are just being produced today overall. It's that, mixed with growing older and long time exposure to anime which makes the novelty of it all diminish significantly. I give a 10 because I think it really deserves a 10 in my mind, that's about it. Doesn't happen often though, but some shows have surprised me recently still.

I don't think it's much about because of my bias towards my first 10's, but more just nothing is giving me an experience where I'm like, wow that was an excellent anime that I just watched.
Sep 12, 2018 12:51 PM
Oct 2017
Simply editing my favourites is too annoying
Sep 12, 2018 5:35 PM

Nov 2017
Yeah. I only have two 10/10s (Mushishi and Kino no Tabi). I have a feeling that a big reason I like Mushishi so much is because it was my first anime, although I like Kino more and I'd seen a good amount of anime by the time I watched it.

I've gotten close to giving out more 10/10s but it's hard when it's pretty much saying that the anime is on the same level as the likes of Mushishi.
Sep 12, 2018 6:44 PM
Jul 2018
I only give 10s to anime that I can truly call a masterpiece. So far, the only anime on that list, (Violet Evergarden as of writing this), has shown it truly deserving it, especially in the aesthetic aspect, (if something is exceptionally well in one thing, I may rate it higher).
Sep 12, 2018 7:19 PM

Apr 2015
I'm probably more apprehensive about adding a new series to my favorites. But honestly, as much as I love Evangelion and Madoka I wouldn't use them as a standard for every anime I watch. That type of mindset is unfair and senseless. A 10 doesn't even imply that the anime was perfect or life-changing for me. I'm just very picky when it comes to art in general, and nothing else I've seen has really appealed to me as much.

You're never going to get the same experience with a different series, so you have to be open minded and fair when trying new things. Otherwise you won't enjoy the ride.
LoveHaterSep 12, 2018 7:27 PM
Sep 12, 2018 8:10 PM

Apr 2015
It is not hard at all, and as far as being "bias" everyone is biased. In one way of another.

I personally do not give out 10s because I believe that no anime deserves a 10 score, beside the show that is sitting on the very top of my favorites list. The 10/10 score which I refer to as "crème de la crème" are reserved for only one show. In particular one that is extremely engaging, special, personal and offers everything that I can possibly love about anime. Simple as that.
Sep 12, 2018 8:36 PM
Apr 2018
I have that problem no with 10s but with my favorites.
Sep 12, 2018 9:06 PM

Dec 2012
No, but they have to meet the same level of personal entertainment/meaningfulness and be made well so I don't give that many 10s to begin with.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Sep 12, 2018 9:37 PM

Apr 2013
Back when I used to score stuff, I found I actually was kinda clinging onto 10 scores when the reality is that as you get older, get more experience, watch more stuff etc. your perspectives on things will change. I don't think any anime is airtight, but finding cool new (or old) stuff is all part of the fun of it to me.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» does anime makes you perfectionist?

deg - Yesterday

16 by DesuMaiden »»
6 minutes ago

» Best green haired girl? ( 1 2 )

Spunkert - Feb 1

60 by DesuMaiden »»
8 minutes ago

» Which anime brings back memories of nostalgia for you?

Gashadokur0 - 7 hours ago

16 by DesuMaiden »»
14 minutes ago

» What is the greatest spoiler of all time in anime?

SgtBateMan - 8 hours ago

15 by DesuMaiden »»
21 minutes ago

» Digitalization of the modern world and anime

RobertBobert - Yesterday

37 by DesuMaiden »»
22 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.