Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Overlord (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (12) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Aug 28, 2018 9:05 PM

Nov 2013
Darklight0303 said:
JGChaves said:

Don't know what is so twisted about his logic. For once, he said "humanlike" not "human". And for another, the Lizardmen are clearly just as intelligent as humans and have the same emotions humans do. From what we have seen back in season two their society isn't even that different from a human one. So why is it so wrong to use the same adjectives we use to describe the mentality and character of humans for them?

Oh yes the goblins and ogres during Carne Village? You glorify humanity and seek to label everything with its greatness far far too much.

Humanity is also what let Arche's parents into their current situation and later down the line into selling Arche's sisters off into slavery.

Seriously dude, how are you reading my comments? I said the Lizardmen were equals to humans in both intelligence and emotions. Being able to think and feel has nothing to do with "greatness" of whatever, it's simply a thing that exists.

Yes, Arche's parents are bad. So was that troll king from a few episodes ago who attacked his own people for no reason. Those goblins from Carne Village were definitely nice people. Just like the two humans from the same village we were following during that arc. The ability to do both good and bad is inherent to all sentient beings, whether they are humans, humanoids or anything else has nothing to do with it.
Aug 28, 2018 9:06 PM
Aug 2018
jupitelthunder said:
Chaosta said:

LMAO wtf have you been watching.. Never was it implied that ainz was a good guy.. He has said SEVERAL times that he doesnt kill needlessly but that doesnt mean he wont kill.. He said SEVERAL times that people have to benefit him to survive.. Idk what kind of fantasy world you were living in when you began this show but clearly you didnt pay attention.. Episode 1 of season 1 he clearly said hes gonna rule that world... what show or in history has taking over the world EVER been nice happy and civil... gtfo

What show have YOU been watching? A lot of the show humor is about the Nazarick NPCs expecting Ainz to be some super evil overlord (because that's how they were created) while in reality he's just a normal guy struggling to play the part. Literally just load the first episode and you'll see a bunch of this, or, hell, any of his conversations with Demiurge, so that's why I expect him to not be pure evil, because, well, up until this point he wasn't.
the humor is there in the sense he isnt a literal god that everyone thinks he is but it intentions show ALOT through out the show. 1st ep he says what he wants to do. 1st ep shows that he kills with purpose. his talks with demiurge are funny simply because like I said, they all see him as a all knowing god which he isnt. and ainz is trying not to come off as ignorant to them, but none of that matters cause his intentions have always been to rule the world.. Did you cry your snowflake tears when he orded cocytus to massacre the lizard people? if you were ok with that then why not this.. its all apart of the same damn plan..
Aug 28, 2018 9:06 PM

Oct 2017
Soo we can confirm that LN volume 8 take 5 episodes, volume 7 take 3 episodes, and next week which is volume 9 gonna take 5 episodes right? Ahh i hope we got season 4
Aug 28, 2018 9:10 PM

Jun 2012
Overlord31 said:
Soo we can confirm that LN volume 8 take 5 episodes, volume 7 take 3 episodes, and next week which is volume 9 gonna take 5 episodes right? Ahh i hope we got season 4

Idk... I don't know if there's enough content.. But I'm not accurate on telling if someone has enough written content for an Anime. I'll be very disappointed though if this show doesn't dive into more information on character development and supreme beings.

It seems blatantly obvious this might be the last season though..
Aug 28, 2018 9:11 PM

Apr 2008
JGChaves said:
Darklight0303 said:

Oh yes the goblins and ogres during Carne Village? You glorify humanity and seek to label everything with its greatness far far too much.

Humanity is also what let Arche's parents into their current situation and later down the line into selling Arche's sisters off into slavery.

Seriously dude, how are you reading my comments? I said the Lizardmen were equals to humans in both intelligence and emotions. Being able to think and feel has nothing to do with "greatness" of whatever, it's simply a thing that exists.

Yes, Arche's parents are bad. So was that troll king from a few episodes ago who attacked his own people for no reason. Those goblins from Carne Village were definitely nice people. Just like the two humans from the same village we were following during that arc. The ability to do both good and bad is inherent to all sentient beings, whether they are humans, humanoids or anything else has nothing to do with it.

You continue to equate intelligence and emotions as a human trait. You pretend as if monsters are incapable of these things. That's the point you consistently overlook.

This is not the real world in the story. Saying things like intelligence and empathy are the clear sign of something being closer to human than anything else is the absolute pinnacle of arrogance.

Aug 28, 2018 9:11 PM

Apr 2008
Sasora said:
Overlord31 said:

Idk... I don't know if there's enough content.. But I'm not accurate on telling if someone has enough written content for an Anime. I'll be very disappointed though if this show doesn't dive into more information on character development and supreme beings.

There are no supreme beings coming.
Aug 28, 2018 9:13 PM

Jun 2012
Darklight0303 said:
Sasora said:

There are no supreme beings coming.

Okay, that's a spoiler I will accept and I'm okay with.

I care more about the world building and current character developments than the supreme beings being in the anime.

I also looked at the season 4 thread and saw they should have content up until season 6 so thats good news i guess
Aug 28, 2018 9:16 PM
Mar 2013
Am I losing my mind? Psychopathy is cool and hype now? This show just proved it deserves to be called Edgelord instead of Overlord

H4nss0n said:
I'm genuinely confused, is there someone in this anime that i'm supposed to root for?
At first i thought it was Ainz but the dude's clearly a Psychopath with no regard for
humanity or anyone, all the humans are just built up to eventually be killed so i don't even bother getting invested in them. You can totally have an anime from the villains
perspective, this just ain't it chief!

Exactly, there are relatable villains but Ains isn't being one, "they attacked his home built by his friends" pffft which he or Demure planned for and could've dealt with in a much less psychopathic/sadistic way

Soul_Urge said:
*FBI Alert: There are real psychopaths on this forum!* Unpopular Opinion:
This show is really well done, and I intend to see it through till the end, but what Ains is doing is more evil than anything that anyone has ever done in reality, considering his ability to resurrect people only to continue torturing them. I hope in the future he gets defeated and get a taste of his own medicine.

Seriously hope that too, and yea it feels we're in the minority
Aug 28, 2018 9:20 PM
Mar 2017
Hey everyone. Does anyone know who's voice Entoma was using? I can't remember which character used that voice.
Aug 28, 2018 9:27 PM
Aug 2018
Kevwoz said:
Hey everyone. Does anyone know who's voice Entoma was using? I can't remember which character used that voice.
That was Arche's voice. the blonde who shaltear killed

honestly that death was lame.. In the LN shaltear tortured her and used her as a sex slave before killing her. But i guess the censors wouldnt allow that to be animated
Aug 28, 2018 9:35 PM

Nov 2013
Darklight0303 said:

You continue to equate intelligence and emotions as a human trait.

But I just said the Lizardmen, who are very clearly not human, have those traits.

Darklight0303 said:

This is not the real world in the story. Saying things like intelligence and empathy are the clear sign of something being closer to human than anything else is the absolute pinnacle of arrogance.

Closeness is something relative to two points. It doesn't matter where the first point is in the blackboard, only how far it is from the second one. I don't care if in the universe of Overlord humanity was the first or last sentient species to appear on the planet, if they have a common ancestor with the non-humans or if everyone evolved independently, or even if the dominant species in this world are humans, elfs or goblins. My point is, if two beings are on the same level of intelligence, they can understand each other. And if they can mutually understand their actions and thoughts, they can judge each other.
Aug 28, 2018 9:40 PM

Dec 2012
Chaosta said:
Kevwoz said:

honestly that death was lame.. In the LN shaltear tortured her and used her as a sex slave before killing her. But i guess the censors wouldnt allow that to be animated

To me, she sounded nothing like Arche. How do you know? Having matching VAs on MAL doesn't confirm anything. Entoma's VA for her previous coarse voice was probably the same as Arche's.

A hint at whose it might be: Albedo suggested that Ains would be displeased to hear the voice.

On another note:

What happened to the MC Ains? He was much more compassionate and human in the first season.
NainAug 28, 2018 9:49 PM
Aug 28, 2018 9:58 PM
Aug 2018
Nain said:
Chaosta said:

To me, she sounded nothing like Arche. How do you know? Having matching VAs on MAL doesn't confirm anything. Entoma's VA for her previous coarse voice was probably the same as Arche's.

A hint at whose it might be: Albedo suggested that Ains would be displeased to hear the voice.

On another note:

What happened to the MC Ains? He was much more compassionate and human in the first season.

Because thats what happens in the LN "In the Light Novel, her dead body was cut into different pieces: Entoma took Arche's voice to replace her old voice that was lost in the battle against Evileye, Demiurge takes her skin, several undead take her arms and legs, her head is used as decoration for a Silk Hat Demon and the leftovers became food. " entoma was always self conscious about her voice which is why it was brought up if he liked it or not.

and nothing changed since the first season. season 1 he explained no useless killing and needing to be useful to be kept alive. the workers deaths were needed for his plans to succeed, in the same way the lizard chiefs needed to die for his plan to rule them to be feesable. everything he's done is done with purpose, even his mercy. idk why people think he's some good guy lol. he literally said he wanted to rule the world, theres no way to do that being "nice"

also people seem to forget that his race has GREATLY changed his mind. human qualities are almost none existant anymore, he see's humans as inferior beings as the Lich do now. the only difference is that he isnt a blood thirsty monster and DOES have some reedemable qualities, like "no useless killing" and when people do need to die to end it quick without suffering. However in the workers case. they arent mere human who just need to die, they insulted his home purely for greed. They had a choice to not go and risked death anyway. and death is what they got.
ChaostaAug 28, 2018 10:08 PM
Aug 28, 2018 10:03 PM

Mar 2015
Irrelevant weak characters getting smacked down are not as fun to watch as the cocky ones feeling true despair before their end. Watching the Prince's reaction was great at the end though. As usual though I watch this show for Ains, and again, he has delivered. Cocytus and Sebastian were kinda fun too, but they are mostly non existent this time.

People in this anime are all NPCs except for Ains...I think he's finally realizing it and just enjoy the game. Still a guy who is scared to sit on a chair made of human bones shows that he sometimes forgets. Let's his minions do dirty work and disposes of his enemies very quickly.
Aug 28, 2018 10:03 PM
Aug 2015
What the heck was with that slave collar look he was sporting while fighting them? Does it have some significance or was it just some weird ass character design?
Aug 28, 2018 10:10 PM
Aug 2018
Liray777 said:
What the heck was with that slave collar look he was sporting while fighting them? Does it have some significance or was it just some weird ass character design?
The collars on ainz and the others do actually have a purpose. they decrease one's stats in exchange for a higher rate of XP gain hamsuke and the like wear them to powerlevel up while fighting. Ainz uses it to lower his power but also to gain a bit of exp himself since his spells cost exp and he doesnt wanna de level.
Aug 28, 2018 10:22 PM

Sep 2016
I feel bad for Arche's twin sisters. So many hopes and dreams, all dead. I really hope they follow the WN else their end will be so sad.
About the LN end
Aug 28, 2018 10:38 PM

Jan 2013
Honestly, i don't know how to feel about this...I didn't know anything about Overlord before watching the 1S, and i really loved it...but this, this is just too different from what i was expecting.
I felt really bad about those guys and especially that girl, it was all and fun until this episode, i don't know how to react to this, i was rooting for him but now, i don't know what to say...

I just don't know... and it seems that there are a lot of people here that feel like me.
The only thing that i really liked was that last part.

I may be wrong by judging the whole season with just one episode but i wonder how all of this will end, i hope i'm wrong.
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Aug 28, 2018 10:45 PM
Aug 2018
AivanK said:
Honestly, i don't know how to feel about this...I didn't know anything about Overlord before watching the 1S, and i really loved it...but this, this is just too different from what i was expecting.
I felt really bad about those guys and especially that girl, it was all and fun until this episode, i don't know how to react to this, i was rooting for him but now, i don't know what to say...

I just don't know... and it seems that there are a lot of people here that feel like me.
The only thing that i really liked was that last part.

I may be wrong by judging the whole season with just one episode but i wonder how all of this will end, i hope i'm wrong.
Whats fun about it lol. wanting to rule the world, Devious plots involving the kidnapping of 100s of men women and children and having them experimented on. The massacre of the lizard chiefs and forced ruling of the lizard people. the orchestrated plots designed to kill people only for ainz to look better himself and/or keep people under his control. He's had 1 main goal this entire time, yea there are funny moments but this is NOT a funny hero isekai show and it never has been. Ainz is an antihero. More like deadpool but more evil. If the anime had been 26ep per season, you'd see more clearly how ainz truly is. You think this is bad, Read the LN's, LMAO shit it beyond fucked up. Talking about raping dead bodies and shit lol
Aug 28, 2018 10:49 PM

Jan 2013
Chaosta said:

Whats fun about it lol. wanting to rule the world, Devious plots involving the kidnapping of 100s of men women and children and having them experimented on. The massacre of the lizard chiefs and forced ruling of the lizard people. the orchestrated plots designed to kill people only for ainz to look better himself and/or keep people under his control. He's had 1 main goal this entire time, yea there are funny moments but this is NOT a funny hero isekai show and it never has been. Ainz is an antihero. More like deadpool but more evil

No like, what i was trying to say is that it feels like a different anime that i got used to, i know there were some pretty dark moments etc but i accepted all of that and never felt anything but this one, feels weird.
I see it now xD I'm just curious how things will go from here, maybe some enemies that can actually cause damage to Ainz? He is now clearly an antihero xD
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Aug 28, 2018 10:53 PM
Aug 2018
AivanK said:
Chaosta said:

Whats fun about it lol. wanting to rule the world, Devious plots involving the kidnapping of 100s of men women and children and having them experimented on. The massacre of the lizard chiefs and forced ruling of the lizard people. the orchestrated plots designed to kill people only for ainz to look better himself and/or keep people under his control. He's had 1 main goal this entire time, yea there are funny moments but this is NOT a funny hero isekai show and it never has been. Ainz is an antihero. More like deadpool but more evil

No like, what i was trying to say is that it feels like a different anime that i got used to, i know there were some pretty dark moments etc but i accepted all of that and never felt anything but this one, feels weird.
I see it now xD I'm just curious how things will go from here, maybe some enemies that can actually cause damage to Ainz? He is now clearly an antihero xD

It gets interesting in the LN's but seeing as how Madhouse animated this, I highly doubt there will be a 4th season which is unfortunate cause alot of the juicy stuff is later on. As I understand it, this season will cover Volume 9 at most. :/
Aug 28, 2018 10:57 PM

Jan 2013
Chaosta said:

It gets interesting in the LN's but seeing as how Madhouse animated this, I highly doubt there will be a 4th season which is unfortunate cause alot of the juicy stuff is later on. As I understand it, this season will cover Volume 9 at most. :/

I believe, my friend also read it and said the same. I also doubt there will be another season, i think we already got lucky by having a 3rd season.
I will say this again, maybe i will explain it correctly haha Since S1 i knew that he wanted to conquer the world but i didn't know how he was going to do it.

Aug 28, 2018 11:01 PM
Aug 2018
AivanK said:
Chaosta said:

I believe, my friend also read it and said the same. I also doubt there will be another season, i think we already got lucky by having a 3rd season.
I will say this again, maybe i will explain it correctly haha Since S1 i knew that he wanted to conquer the world but i didn't know how he was going to do it.
Well I mean, Historically speaking. Conquering the world with sunshine and rainbows is impossible, to conquer a world, your gonna have to do some evil stuff lol
Even in the anime "the master of ragnarok & blesser of einherjar" he plans to rule the world but he still has to do some messed up stuff, war is war after all xD. ainz way isnt that bad really. He's powerful enough to just wipe out every single city and enslave everyone. In fact that would be alot easier that way than the way he's currently doing it lol
Aug 28, 2018 11:10 PM

Dec 2012
Chaosta said:

Because thats what happens in the LN "In the Light Novel, her dead body was cut into different pieces: Entoma took Arche's voice to replace her old voice that was lost in the battle against Evileye, Demiurge takes her skin, several undead take her arms and legs, her head is used as decoration for a Silk Hat Demon and the leftovers became food. " entoma was always self conscious about her voice which is why it was brought up if he liked it or not.

Like what others said, in the WN, she became Shalltear's slave. While watching the episode (as a pure anime watcher), I suspected that was what was going to happen to her. I wonder why the anime's story didn't follow the WN's route. It seems much more natural.
Aug 28, 2018 11:14 PM
Aug 2018
Nain said:
Chaosta said:

Like what others said, in the WN, she became Shalltear's slave. While watching the episode (as a pure anime watcher), I suspected that was what was going to happen to her. I wonder why the anime's story didn't follow the WN's route. It seems much more natural.
Because they are following the LN which is superior in every way to the WN
its just that the anime left some parts out due to censors and time allotment. but overall, its the same as the LN just far less detailed.

Web Novel - old, poorly written, draft version of Overlord

Light Novel - new, significantly improved writing, "true" version of Overlord
Aug 29, 2018 12:13 AM

Oct 2008
Let the massacre start!
awesome episode by the way!
5/5!

Aug 29, 2018 12:18 AM

Feb 2010
Darklight0303 said:
JGChaves said:

You continue to equate intelligence and emotions as a human trait. You pretend as if monsters are incapable of these things. That's the point you consistently overlook.

careful not to cut yourself on that edge.

"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Aug 29, 2018 12:26 AM

May 2013
Happy_Sensei said:
Am I losing my mind? Psychopathy is cool and hype now? This show just proved it deserves to be called Edgelord instead of Overlord

H4nss0n said:
I'm genuinely confused, is there someone in this anime that i'm supposed to root for?
At first i thought it was Ainz but the dude's clearly a Psychopath with no regard for
humanity or anyone, all the humans are just built up to eventually be killed so i don't even bother getting invested in them. You can totally have an anime from the villains
perspective, this just ain't it chief!

Exactly, there are relatable villains but Ains isn't being one, "they attacked his home built by his friends" pffft which he or Demure planned for and could've dealt with in a much less psychopathic/sadistic way

Soul_Urge said:
*FBI Alert: There are real psychopaths on this forum!* Unpopular Opinion:
This show is really well done, and I intend to see it through till the end, but what Ains is doing is more evil than anything that anyone has ever done in reality, considering his ability to resurrect people only to continue torturing them. I hope in the future he gets defeated and get a taste of his own medicine.

It's better to be a goat than a sheep in this case, been a while since I've felt so disgusted with a fictional character. If their intention was to make me hate this character, then job well done. I've also never seen so many sadistic people in one place, they would make good minions for Ainsz. The world of Overlord is interesting, but I don't feel as if I can't invest myself into any new characters in this series to only get heart broken again, I'm not a masochist. I'll be watching this anime like NTR from here on out, while having my emotional barrier up.
Aug 29, 2018 12:35 AM
Aug 2018
Soul_Urge said:
Happy_Sensei said:

It's better to be a goat than a sheep in this case, been a while since I've felt so disgusted with a fictional character. If their intention was to make me hate this character, then job well done. I've also never seen so many sadistic people in one place, they would make good minions for Ainsz. The world of Overlord is interesting, but I don't feel as if I can't invest myself into any new characters in this series to only get heart broken again, I'm not a masochist. I'll be watching this anime like NTR from here on out, while having my emotional barrier up.
You should have put together to not invest in side characters from the first few ep in season 1 lmao. after the Swords of Darkness were killed off so early after a build up, that should of clued you in on how the anime works lol

also the workers parts, from the very start you knew they were gonna invade Nazarick even before the character building started. Right then you knew they were gonna die lmao
Aug 29, 2018 12:38 AM

Apr 2015
Soul_Urge said:
Happy_Sensei said:

well then,just you wait for season 4 or 5 when Neia the preacher makes her appereance
Aug 29, 2018 12:43 AM

Nov 2014
It's funny how giving some characters backstory changes people's perspective. When Ainz kills nameless soldiers, it's cool, even though they probably also have families, are nice people etc. But when he killed a bunch of tomb robbers, he is suddenly a bad guy, simply because we got to know them a bit. He (as Momon) even confirmed that they are doing it for money and are ready to die for it.
Aug 29, 2018 12:45 AM

May 2013
Chaosta said:
Soul_Urge said:

You should have put together to not invest in side characters from the first few ep in season 1 lmao. after the Swords of Darkness were killed off so early after a build up, that should of clued you in on how the anime works lol

also the workers parts, from the very start you knew they were gonna invade Nazarick even before the character building started. Right then you knew they were gonna die lmao

I'm aware, though I was mainly referring to the workers, I wasn't expecting Ainz to go from 1 to 100 straight up psychopath on them. I do like Albedo, Shalltear, Demiurge and a few others, but at least I knew what to expect from them.
Aug 29, 2018 12:52 AM
Aug 2018
Soul_Urge said:
Chaosta said:

I'm aware, though I was mainly referring to the workers, I wasn't expecting Ainz to go from 1 to 100 straight up psychopath on them. I do like Albedo, Shalltear, Demiurge and a few others, but at least I knew what to expect from them.
I mean all n all i dont think he did anything that bad(comparatively) , I mean his fight with clementine was far far worse. In this sense he just paralyzed them and had his floor guardians do the dirty work. He even mentioned to use every piece as thats how you respect the dead. later on you realize how necessary this all was and how its really no different from his other plans. lest not forget he approved of kidnapping 100s of men women and children for experiments in season 2 and originally had planned on wiping out he entire lizard people race if it werent for cocytus's thoughts on the matter.
Aug 29, 2018 12:59 AM

Apr 2008
Nain said:
Chaosta said:

It's not more natural. The WN was discontinnued and made non canon. This end was voted by the READERS of the WN.
Aug 29, 2018 1:06 AM

May 2013
Chaosta said:
Soul_Urge said:

I mean all n all i dont think he did anything that bad(comparatively) , I mean his fight with clementine was far far worse. In this sense he just paralyzed them and had his floor guardians do the dirty work. He even mentioned to use every piece as thats how you respect the dead. later on you realize how necessary this all was and how its really no different from his other plans. lest not forget he approved of kidnapping 100s of men women and children for experiments in season 2 and originally had planned on wiping out he entire lizard people race if it werent for cocytus's thoughts on the matter.

You are right, but those people didn't have a backstory from what I remember. It is however my own fault for letting my guard down. I didn't like Ainz that much in season 2 either, it's just that my opinion of him couldn't get any lower at this point.
Aug 29, 2018 1:10 AM
Aug 2018
Soul_Urge said:
Chaosta said:

You are right, but those people didn't have a backstory from what I remember. It is however my own fault for letting my guard down. I didn't like Ainz that much in season 2 either, it's just that my opinion of him couldn't get any lower at this point.
Yea I wont deny that he's an evil dick. I just argue the point that he's always been this messed up xD
Aug 29, 2018 1:10 AM

Apr 2008
Soul_Urge said:
Chaosta said:

If all it takes for you to get outraged is a sobstory I have to say you have no legs to stand on. If life is so precious to you, you should have been roaring and petulantly stomping your feet in protest since season 2
Darklight0303Aug 29, 2018 1:26 AM
Aug 29, 2018 1:28 AM

Jul 2014
Well, we all knew that the death of everyone entering Nazarick was the inevitable outcome of the foolish raid on it, but they really upped the ante by having Ains personally do some of the killing himself. What he did to Arche's party was no different than killing the Slane Theocracy members in season 1, only this time we were given a half-baked sob story to make us care somewhat about the deaths this time. But for me, I was more interested to learn that this whole thing was mostly to see if Ains can leave Nazarick more and entrust its defence to Albedo, which will give him a lot more freedom to involve himself in affairs more personally. And it looks like he's finally starting to become the Overlord we've been promised from the beginning, now that he's actually actively moving to begin his conquest with the attack on the Empire.
Aug 29, 2018 1:35 AM

Oct 2014
I think people are missing the point here. This arc has, as far as I have seen, 2 main points to make:

1. It subtly points out the audience's hypocrisy regarding whether or not someone deserves death (or worse) based on knowledge of their circumstances. People seem to sympathize with Arche here due to her background and consider Nazarick's actions to be evil mostly based on that. I don't think that conclusion would be the same if all invaders had been like the guy with the elf slaves.

But is that really fair? Then what about the various "mob-characters"? People just seem to come to their own conclusions based on what they wish to be true.

For example, what if the Theocracy Knight (disguised as Empire Knight) from S1 EP3 that Ainz killed with Dragon Lightning early on in the show actually had a sob story about his daughter having an illness that can only be cured by very expensive medicine and the only way to get enough money for that medicine would be to participate in this dangerous mission where they might have been killed by Gazef Stronoff before the main force with the angels arrive? But because he stood right next to his collegue who seemed to enjoy the situation, people just assumed that he is probably just as much a horrible psychopaths who just enjoys killing people even though there is no actual evidence for that.

So Arche only really showed that most of the audience is just a bunch of hypocritical jerks with prejudice who assumes the worst of characters with no background story. I also thought the same when reading this part of the LN, so I am not really one to talk tehe~

2. People call Ainz "evil" but mostly only because of forgetting season 1 and missing the big picture.

The (default) moral compass of Ainz is usually that of a corporate CEO (even though he was only a regular salaryman himself as a human), all about the "profit" of Nazarick, though probably a bit on the extreme end because what most anime watchers don't know is that Suzuki Satoru (the guy who controls Momonga) actually lived in a dystopian society where cronysm is widespread and big corporations control everything (this is only mentioned in LN character sheets and will probably never be mentioned in the anime) where work conditions are much harsher than in our time. This is probably why he is willing to be rather cruel when it comes to making profit for Nazarick.

One more element is that Ainz seems to be a person who doesn't show any mercy toward those he sees as enemies. He is even worse toward those who he has personal grudges against escpacially if someone insults Nazarick or its guildmembers and/or their creations. Vice-versa if someone gives genunine praise for Nazarick or Nazarick members, like in the case of Nemu.

Another very important element are the memories of Ulbert (creator of Demi-Urge) and Touch Me (creator of Sebas Tian). They are like the "devil and the angel on the shoulders who whisper into your ear"-imaginry that should be well known from various kinds of visual fiction.

Ulbert's evilness and cruelty influnece Ainz through Demi-Urge's plans, which often contains cruelty just for the sake of cruelty, even though some of it doesn't give any additonal "profit" to Nazarick, but the plans themselves are solid otherwise, so Ainz obviously keeps relying on these plans.

Touch Me's motto of "saving someone's who is in trouble is common sense" is something that Ainz cherishes a lot, but it's often mutually exclusive with the part about wanting profit for Nazarick, so he needs to make some kind of "excuse" for throwing the profit away. And he found this excuse and has been using it ever since the part at the beginning of the story when he saw Touch Me when looking at Sebas, though it's a bit subtle: "Let's save/spare/revive him/her/it/them for the sake of an experiment". In other words, Ainz does most his good deeds whenever he says "let's do this for the sake of an experiment" because the results are unknown, which makes it compatible with his profit mindset. Some of the Nazarick residents seemed to have noticed the pattern that Ainz is more likely to accept a request if it's in the guise of an experiment, escpacially Demi-Urge and Sebas.

I think this subtleness of his good deeds in contrast to the obviousness of the bad deeds caused by following Demi-Urge's plans, as well as this particular instance where point "1." applies is what makes Ainz look so "evil" to people in this arc, but looking at the big picture it's much more complex as you can see.

Sorry for bothering you all with this Wall of Text.
Aug 29, 2018 1:35 AM

May 2013
Darklight0303 said:
Soul_Urge said:

If all it takes for you to get outraged is a sobstory I have to say you have no legs to stand on. If life is so precious to you, you should have been roaring and petulatntly stomping your feet in protest since season 2

LOL dude you make me laugh, why are you always so serious, did Bigfoot fly up your asshole? You seem to have a really bad habit of making poor judgement about people you know nothing about, come to Venezuela, you wouldn't last a day you idiot. I'm not outraged by any means, feels bad yes, but outraged no, it's a work of fiction, I can differentiate.
Aug 29, 2018 1:37 AM

Apr 2008
Grey-Zone said:
I think people are missing the point here. This arc has, as far as I have seen, 2 main points to make:

1. It subtly points out the audience's hypocrisy regarding whether or not someone deserves death (or worse) based on knowledge of their circumstances. People seem to sympathize with Arche here due to her background and consider Nazarick's actions to be evil mostly based on that. I don't think that conclusion would be the same if all invaders had been like the guy with the elf slaves.

But is that really fair? Then what about the various "mob-characters"? People just seem to come to their own conclusions based on what they wish to be true.

For example, what if the Theocracy Knight (disguised as Empire Knight) from S1 EP3 that Ainz killed with Dragon Lightning early on in the show actually had a sob story about his daughter having an illness that can only be cured by very expensive medicine and the only way to get enough money for that medicine would be to participate in this dangerous mission where they might have been killed by Gazef Stronoff before the main force with the angels arrive? But because he stood right next to his collegue who seemed to enjoy the situation, people just assumed that he is probably just as much a horrible psychopaths who just enjoys killing people even though there is no actual evidence for that.

So Arche only really showed that most of the audience is just a bunch of hypocritical jerks with prejudice who assumes the worst of characters with no background story. I also thought the same when reading this part of the LN, so I am not really one to talk tehe~

2. People call Ainz "evil" but mostly only because of forgetting season 1 and missing the big picture.

The (default) moral compass of Ainz is usually that of a corporate CEO (even though he was only a regular salaryman himself as a human), all about the "profit" of Nazarick, though probably a bit on the extreme end because what most anime watchers don't know is that Suzuki Satoru (the guy who controls Momonga) actually lived in a dystopian society where cronysm is widespread and big corporations control everything (this is only mentioned in LN character sheets and will probably never be mentioned in the anime) where work conditions are much harsher than in our time. This is probably why he is willing to be rather cruel when it comes to making profit for Nazarick.

One more element is that Ainz seems to be a person who doesn't show any mercy toward those he sees as enemies. He is even worse toward those who he has personal grudges against escpacially if someone insults Nazarick or its guildmembers and/or their creations. Vice-versa if someone gives genunine praise for Nazarick or Nazarick members, like in the case of Nemu.

Another very important element are the memories of Ulbert (creator of Demi-Urge) and Touch Me (creator of Sebas Tian). They are like the "devil and the angel on the shoulders who whisper into your ear"-imaginry that should be well known from various kinds of visual fiction.

Ulbert's evilness and cruelty influnece Ainz through Demi-Urge's plans, which often contains cruelty just for the sake of cruelty, even though some of it doesn't give any additonal "profit" to Nazarick, but the plans themselves are solid otherwise, so Ainz obviously keeps relying on these plans.

Touch Me's motto of "saving someone's who is in trouble is common sense" is something that Ainz cherishes a lot, but it's often mutually exclusive with the part about wanting profit for Nazarick, so he needs to make some kind of "excuse" for throwing the profit away. And he found this excuse and has been using it ever since the part at the beginning of the story when he saw Touch Me when looking at Sebas, though it's a bit subtle: "Let's save/spare/revive him/her/it/them for the sake of an experiment". In other words, Ainz does most his good deeds whenever he says "let's do this for the sake of an experiment" because the results are unknown, which makes it compatible with his profit mindset. Some of the Nazarick residents seemed to have noticed the pattern that Ainz is more likely to accept a request if it's in the guise of an experiment, escpacially Demi-Urge and Sebas.

I think this subtleness of his good deeds in contrast to the obviousness of the bad deeds caused by following Demi-Urge's plans, as well as this particular instance where point "1." applies is what makes Ainz look so "evil" to people in this arc, but looking at the big picture it's much more complex as you can see.

Sorry for bothering you all with this Wall of Text.

Bravo my good man! You summed all of this out perfectly
Aug 29, 2018 1:47 AM

Aug 2013
Uncharted: a theif's end.
Finally a good episode in this cringe fest.
The closer you get to the light,the greater your shadow becomes.
Aug 29, 2018 1:55 AM

Oct 2014
Darklight0303 said:
Grey-Zone said:
(OMITTED FOR SPACE)

Bravo my good man! You summed all of this out perfectly

I have to admit though that I could only think of this because it's been quite a while since I read that part of the LN and had time to reread/rewatch older parts. Most anime-only people already forgot stuff from season 1, like barely anyone remembered that Ainz HIMSELF was saying that "world domination might be enjoyable", a few weeks ago when season 3 started and heck there's even a track from the OST which is called that.

Aug 29, 2018 1:58 AM
Mar 2013
@Soul_Urge Yea it was really disgusting, had they followed the web novel or what the author said about the sisters I would've done what arche did (not really but got close)

People are saying it's been always this way but I disagree, intentionally or not in the first season it seemed he was going out of his way to avoid unnecessary deaths, making up reasons to convince his subordinates, as far as I can remember at least, he seemed apathetic but not a full psychopath, he only killed people who were pretty horrible and dirty handed themselves, as in actual murder not just deserted tomb robbing, in S2 he did kill lizard people which was when I started getting iffy about the show but then he resurrected (most of) them and he let that girl join his guild, he also saved that magic caster girl and her group wasn't killed (or was it?), sure in hindsight we can say he was just plotting but as a viewer it looked he -or the show in general- was trying not to be too gruesome, guess I was wrong, and I can't really remember the part about experimenting on 100 people, that's pretty sick too, but it would've been plain disgusting if they actually showed it, showing the actions has more effect than telling them and even if Ains was that sick since then it didn't seem that obvious -to me at least- until now

according to some people robbing places -that looks deserted of anything but undead monsters- is just as bad as committing unnecessary massacres and torture, and of course it's more upsetting when someone with a back story dies, doesn't mean killing randoms for no good reason is ok but it's natural to care more about people you know and in this case characters you know a little more, remember that scene in Austin Powers when the random security guy dies and they show his family lol
Aug 29, 2018 2:08 AM

Oct 2014
Happy_Sensei said:
@Soul_Urge Yea it was really disgusting, had they followed the web novel or what the author said about the sisters I would've done what arche did (not really but got close)

People are saying it's been always this way but I disagree, intentionally or not in the first season it seemed he was going out of his way to avoid unnecessary deaths, making up reasons to convince his subordinates, as far as I can remember at least, he seemed apathetic but not a full psychopath, he only killed people who were pretty horrible and dirty handed themselves, as in actual murder not just deserted tomb robbing, in S2 he did kill lizard people which was when I started getting iffy about the show but then he resurrected (most of) them and he let that girl join his guild, he also saved that magic caster girl and her group wasn't killed (or was it?), sure in hindsight we can say he was just plotting but as a viewer it looked he -or the show in general- was trying not to be too gruesome, guess I was wrong, and I can't really remember the part about experimenting on 100 people, that's pretty sick too, but it would've been plain disgusting if they actually showed it, showing the actions has more effect than telling them and even if Ains was that sick since then it didn't seem that obvious -to me at least- until now

according to some people robbing places -that looks deserted of anything but undead monsters- is just as bad as committing unnecessary massacres and torture, and of course it's more upsetting when someone with a back story dies, doesn't mean killing randoms for no good reason is ok but it's natural to care more about people you know and in this case characters you know a little more, remember that scene in Austin Powers when the random security guy dies and they show his family lol

1. This time Ainz was just completely following along with one of Demi-Urge plans - it doesn't happen like this if he is the one in charge himself. The part at the end of season 2 would have been MUCH worse if Ainz didn't didn't intervene as early as he did. And for all we know the plan with luring people into the tomb might already be the "moderated" version, where Demi-Urge perhaps had originally planned something EVEN MORE sinister, which was then vetoed by Ainz?

2. It only seem morally evil because we, the audience, got to see Arche's sob background story. You are just assuming on your own that none of the other "mob characters" had equally or even more dire circumstances for doing what they did, which includes all the fake empire knights attacking carne village, all the members of the theocracy main force with the angels, all the nameless assistants of Kajit that where pulverized by Narberal, all the mercanaries that Shalltear killed, the various nameless lizardmen who died, the 8 finger underlings killed by Sebas, Brian and Climb, etc. But just because we got to see the background story of one particular mob-character, it's suddenly such a big deal? Of course we feel it more once we are "in the know", but on the other hand doesn't that mean we are prejudiced, hypocritical bigots who judge people we know nothing about, like the various nameless dead ones?
Grey-ZoneAug 29, 2018 2:17 AM
Aug 29, 2018 2:30 AM

Apr 2012
I'm stating to get the feeling that Ains and co. would probably inadvertently unite all the warring Kingdoms to go to war against them. If that were to happen it would make sense since Nazerick is the biggest threat to all those nations.
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum.
They should really do their whining at manga forums.

USERS ON MY IGNORED LIST:
RayReynolds - SSL443 - Dr4kon - Nerdanimefan1992 - ToTheMountains - Fiveskies
To add users to the Ignore list: (1) Go to Account settings (2) Click Forum tab and toggle down (3) Type or paste user name on entry box (4) Click Add and you're done.
Problem solved, you'll never have to see someone trolling ever again because their post will be closed/collapsed.
Aug 29, 2018 2:32 AM

Apr 2008
Janethan23 said:
I'm stating to get the feeling that Ains and co. would probably inadvertently unite all the warring Kingdoms to go to war against them. If that were to happen it would make sense since Nazerick is the biggest threat to all those nations.

Yeah that's not going to do jack shit. Nazarick is openly held back from unleashing it's full power by Ainz himself. If they ever tried what you suggest, they would all get wiped up in an instant
Aug 29, 2018 2:39 AM
Mar 2018
Janethan23 said:

Well, that young emperor Jircniv had thought the same until they saw the spell which Ainz is going to use in the end of the season xD
Aug 29, 2018 2:50 AM
Nov 2015
remember its not ains fault.
1. ains already ask worker why they want to raid nazarik, they want money they are greedy.
2. if you blaming ains as evil because what happen to arche sisters, blame arche parent, arche parent it self sold their own children to slavery.

do not worry there good end in WN.
Aug 29, 2018 2:53 AM

Apr 2012
jupitelthunder said:
Yeah I'm dropping the show now.

Up until this point I was under the impression that the whole show conflict was that Ainz was just a normal guy thrown into a position of extreme power where everyone expected him to be an evil overlord, so to conform to those expectations he would play the part but would also be a good guy whenever possible, even going so far as bullshitting the guardians to make it seem like it's all part of his plan, so even though he's overpowered he still had challenges you wanted him to succeed at.

This episode however made it clear that I misunderstood the series and Ainz is just an overpowered bad guy with nothing standing on his way, neither enemies nor morals, which for me doesn't make it for a very interesting story, hence why I'm dropping it.
It's interesting to see it one way and judge it as evil. Would the workers would've shown mercy if all the inhabitants of Nazerick were actually really weak? It would be a total slaughter and all the treasures Nazerick possessed would've been raided countless times. In the human's righteous view they are monsters that need to be killed. With or without the torture what Ains did was in all accounts justified.
Janethan23Aug 29, 2018 2:58 AM
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum.
They should really do their whining at manga forums.

USERS ON MY IGNORED LIST:
RayReynolds - SSL443 - Dr4kon - Nerdanimefan1992 - ToTheMountains - Fiveskies
To add users to the Ignore list: (1) Go to Account settings (2) Click Forum tab and toggle down (3) Type or paste user name on entry box (4) Click Add and you're done.
Problem solved, you'll never have to see someone trolling ever again because their post will be closed/collapsed.
Pages (12) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Overlord III Episode 2 Discussion

ichii_1 - Aug 8, 2018

42 by VickRune »»
Mar 3, 12:18 AM

Poll: » Overlord III Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 2, 2018

267 by BlueSnow93 »»
Feb 12, 10:06 AM

Poll: » Overlord III Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2018

220 by BlueSnow93 »»
Feb 12, 9:16 AM

Poll: » Overlord III Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 11, 2018

177 by BlueSnow93 »»
Feb 12, 8:51 AM

Poll: » Overlord III Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2018

166 by BlueSnow93 »»
Feb 12, 8:20 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.