Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
Apr 21, 2023 7:00 AM

Mar 2015
I know I am years late on this but man this episode emotionally gut punched me hard. Finished it last night with a friend and had to stop for the night. It's very rare for any form of media to get me to even shed a tear and yet I was a fucking mess for like 20 minutes after finishing this. Mayuri is easily one of my favorite characters ever and that entire love confession and statement of her resolve at the end while also having it come after a tragic moment that sent Okabe into despair really got me and the OST was perfect on top of that. I know the plot may not be as tight as the original series but I feel like the emotional beats and character moments are simply unmatched. There's been so many moments this season that have hit hard for me and I'm really loving this series, so much so I'm almost angry at being told how much "worse" this was than the original series for years. I feel lied to. I'm loving this a lot. 
Apr 21, 2023 5:47 PM
Nov 2016
I facepalm when people praise this garbage of an episode but you do you I guess.
Apr 21, 2023 9:36 PM

Mar 2015
xZabuzax said:
I facepalm when people praise this garbage of an episode but you do you I guess.
Sorry you weren't able to enjoy it as much I guess? Different media and characters can resonate differently with different people, but I really found this episode (or at least the ending sequence of this episode) to be incredible. Still thinking about it even now that I finished because of how well executed that entire scene was to me and how much it impacted me emotionally. If it wasn't able to connect to you in the same way then that's okay but I don't think that makes the episode "garbage" because of it. If there was any weakness I think this episode did have, it was the low budget action sequences but truthfully, I'm not watching the series for that, so I didn't really care. 
Apr 21, 2023 11:09 PM
Nov 2016
Enel- said:
xZabuzax said:
Sorry you weren't able to enjoy it as much I guess? Different media and characters can resonate differently with different people, but I really found this episode (or at least the ending sequence of this episode) to be incredible. Still thinking about it even now that I finished because of how well executed that entire scene was to me and how much it impacted me emotionally. If it wasn't able to connect to you in the same way then that's okay but I don't think that makes the episode "garbage" because of it. If there was any weakness I think this episode did have, it was the low budget action sequences but truthfully, I'm not watching the series for that, so I didn't really care. 

Well mate, it is garbage to me, I can write a whole paragraph on why I believe this episode is utter garbage and you can do the same and write a whole paragraph on why you believe this episode is good so I won't even bother explaining why I believe it's garbage. I freaking love Steins;Gate myself, it's my best anime but I was extremely disappointed with Steins;Gate 0, it's worse in every aspect but this is the episode that ruined it for me completely, and when I saw freaking Samurais in episode 20 I just couldn't take this piece of crap seriously anymore, it was so freaking bad.

Not everything is horrible though, I did like episode 8, 19 and 21 but even if I liked those episodes, I just didn't care and didn't take this anime seriously after the dumb Samurai part, I'm watching Steins;Gate here, not some crappy shounen anime and that's exactly what I felt when I watched this piece of crap.

But don't mind me man, if you liked it then good for you, I still cringe when I see people praising this garbage of an episode though, it's the worst episode of the whole franchise IMHO.
Jun 17, 2023 8:21 AM
Apr 2023
Lol let's talk worst fight scenes of all time
Great episode tho
Oct 12, 2023 3:57 PM

Dec 2020
So Mayuri didn't actually die. But kagari basically died twice lol took like a million bullets and had like two death speeches.
Dec 31, 2023 9:48 PM
Oct 2021
Alexis Leskinen is A villan !!!
Feb 12, 4:40 PM
Jan 2024
This episode is honestly a series ruiner for me. Before this episode, I was considering whether I liked 0 or the original series better. This episode clearly answers my question.

Steins;Gate has this weird duality to it: Either it uses the time travel mechanic to weave powerful emotion into its intricate and delicate storyline, or it takes you entirely out of the plotline with weird and clunky deus-ex-machina story points. This series relies on a degree of realism to produce great effect, and unfortunately this episode is one of the ones that completely takes you out of it.

Faking out another Mayuri death wasn't too bad, but it was set up very poorly and not well executed. It was said by Taro that the timeline did shift, so Mayuri's death perhaps could be not out of the question. Maybe it could be revealed that the timeline they were in was the opposite of Steins Gate, and that both Makise and Mayuri die. The way that Mayuri's death was shown here made it pretty obvious that it wasn't meant to be a huge moment, so I was not emotionally impacted by it and didn't expect it to be impactful. Seems I was right.

I've always had problems with Suzuha being an invincible ninja. Yes, there is a degree of skill that comes with being a World War III resistance fighter. I really don't think that means you'd be able to kill 20+ soldiers who are actively firing at you, dodging bullets and everything. The fact that she's so invincible makes it hard to feel any suspense during fight scenes involving her. Have her kill one and then get shot and go down or something, or at least make her methods of killing everyone creative.

Kagari also seems to have had this same problem. I couldn't continue paying attention to the episode after she walked up to the soldier and karate-chop decapitated him with her bare hands. Really funny, but the moment was supposed to be intense?

This professor's reveal as a villain truly is one of the most predictable and worst things in the entire story. The fact that he goes on a 12-minute monologue explaining his entire plan makes it even worse. This wasn't set up intricately like other plot points, yet it wasn't a twist because it was so predictable anyways. Cherry on top was really all of the characters taking turns saying "You monster! You're the worst!" to him, like this moment could get any more contrived.

There's no way Okabe would be so vindicated as he was in this moment. He should be thoroughly destroyed.

The episode before this had some of the best story notes in 0 so far. Mayuri's development as a character and the lead-up to her decision was incredible. She suddenly loses flavor in this episode. Pretty awful reversal for my favorite character.

Icing on the cake is when Taro tells Suzuha "no don't kill the evil sociopathic villain who mentally tortured Kagari for decades, betrayed all of us, attempted to kill all of us, and succeeded in doing so with Kagari! that would make us just as bad as him!"

Very cheesy.

Hopefully the rest of the series can make up for this. Feels like I'm watching a bad shounen right now.
Feb 12, 4:43 PM
Jan 2024
Reply to sillygoofball
This episode is honestly a series ruiner for me. Before this episode, I was considering whether I liked 0 or the original series better. This episode clearly answers my question.

Steins;Gate has this weird duality to it: Either it uses the time travel mechanic to weave powerful emotion into its intricate and delicate storyline, or it takes you entirely out of the plotline with weird and clunky deus-ex-machina story points. This series relies on a degree of realism to produce great effect, and unfortunately this episode is one of the ones that completely takes you out of it.

Faking out another Mayuri death wasn't too bad, but it was set up very poorly and not well executed. It was said by Taro that the timeline did shift, so Mayuri's death perhaps could be not out of the question. Maybe it could be revealed that the timeline they were in was the opposite of Steins Gate, and that both Makise and Mayuri die. The way that Mayuri's death was shown here made it pretty obvious that it wasn't meant to be a huge moment, so I was not emotionally impacted by it and didn't expect it to be impactful. Seems I was right.

I've always had problems with Suzuha being an invincible ninja. Yes, there is a degree of skill that comes with being a World War III resistance fighter. I really don't think that means you'd be able to kill 20+ soldiers who are actively firing at you, dodging bullets and everything. The fact that she's so invincible makes it hard to feel any suspense during fight scenes involving her. Have her kill one and then get shot and go down or something, or at least make her methods of killing everyone creative.

Kagari also seems to have had this same problem. I couldn't continue paying attention to the episode after she walked up to the soldier and karate-chop decapitated him with her bare hands. Really funny, but the moment was supposed to be intense?

This professor's reveal as a villain truly is one of the most predictable and worst things in the entire story. The fact that he goes on a 12-minute monologue explaining his entire plan makes it even worse. This wasn't set up intricately like other plot points, yet it wasn't a twist because it was so predictable anyways. Cherry on top was really all of the characters taking turns saying "You monster! You're the worst!" to him, like this moment could get any more contrived.

There's no way Okabe would be so vindicated as he was in this moment. He should be thoroughly destroyed.

The episode before this had some of the best story notes in 0 so far. Mayuri's development as a character and the lead-up to her decision was incredible. She suddenly loses flavor in this episode. Pretty awful reversal for my favorite character.

Icing on the cake is when Taro tells Suzuha "no don't kill the evil sociopathic villain who mentally tortured Kagari for decades, betrayed all of us, attempted to kill all of us, and succeeded in doing so with Kagari! that would make us just as bad as him!"

Very cheesy.

Hopefully the rest of the series can make up for this. Feels like I'm watching a bad shounen right now.
@sillygoofball

Had to come back to make an addendum to this post. WHY THE FUCK ARE THEY HAVING AN EMOTIONAL MONOLOGUE WHILE THERE ARE 2 HELICOPERS RAINING GUNFIRE ON THEM? The helicopters just stop and let them have their moment?

It's like they gave up, wtf is this
Feb 13, 5:52 AM

May 2016
Reply to sillygoofball

Very cheesy.

sillygoofball said:

Not sure wdym by this. Mayuri died here, along with Suzuha
-
Feb 13, 8:28 AM
Jan 2024
Reply to SciADV_Maniac
sillygoofball said:

Not sure wdym by this. Mayuri died here, along with Suzuha
@SciADV_Maniac It was left ambiguous whether or not they died via time machine missile. When I said this, I was referring to when the bullet grazed her head but they made it look like it struck.
The time machine death was also not incredibly impactful. Definitely done better, but again its effectiveness got screwed up by the fact that they had just faked us out. Made me not believe she was dead.
Feb 17, 5:52 PM
Oct 2023
this episode was crazy. Leskinen was a bad guy all along which yeah was pretty obvious ngl.I was just speechless the whole episode ngl.
Mar 15, 10:57 PM
Dec 2019
This episode is pretty stupid. The action conspiracy stuff is the worst part of Steins;Gate and this whole episode was almost entirely that. Like, Kagari just karate chopping guys heads off is insanely stupid. Daru telling Suzuha not to kill Leskinen because she'd be the same as him has way less weight after we just watched her gun down a dozen guys and stab a few others.

I've liked 0 so far but with it kind of going down the toilet like this with so much left to go I'm worried I'll be extremely let down by the end of it. Even the original series had some issues with the ending but this seems to have cranked it up quite a bit and is dumping more of the character stuff in favour of dumb uninteresting action and conspiracy stuff. Its like an inverted Terminator.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Steins;Gate 0 Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Mxxxstation - Aug 8, 2018

104 by Twerms »»
Apr 21, 12:45 AM

Poll: » Steins;Gate 0 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 11, 2018

572 by MrNobodyFN123 »»
Apr 18, 8:11 PM

Poll: » Steins;Gate 0 Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Mxxxstation - Aug 22, 2018

163 by Alrinth »»
Apr 10, 2:36 PM

Poll: » Steins;Gate 0 Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 8, 2018

197 by Alrinth »»
Apr 9, 3:17 PM

Poll: » Steins;Gate 0 Episode 11 Discussion

Mxxxstation - Aug 8, 2018

38 by Alrinth »»
Apr 7, 4:11 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.