Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 11, 2018 4:46 AM

Jun 2009
There isn't a Eurovision topic, what!
I'm not sure how interested Europeans/Australians on MAL are about this but I'm opening a thread anyway.

My favorites are
Hungary (can't not love one metal song on ESC.... and I'm biased because I love Hungary in general)
Denmark (can't not love viking-pirates)
Ukraine (can't not love burning stairs)
Serbia (my own country and it has these very specific etno parts which may not be for everyone but it gave me goosebumps)
...even Moldavia because it makes a good shitshow.
Greece was robbed IMO.

I don't think I like Isreal, and Lithuania is just terribli.
Cyprus is most likely to win I think and ... mehhh it's ok but too generic. Idk.

Discus pls!
May 11, 2018 4:49 AM

Jul 2015
Isn't Eurovision that dick contest where every country votes for nations to please its own immigrated populations?

France voting for Armenia adn Germany voting for Turkey again this year, I called it.
May 11, 2018 4:56 AM

Jun 2009
People who emigrated vote for their home country usually, yeah. But that's just 50% of the votes or something like that, the rest is from juries of each country.

In the past few years they are trying to please the minorities though and it comes off as too forced and actual good songs get robbed but whatever! It's fun to watch!

Edit: Armenia and Turkey didn't qualify for the final so no.
May 11, 2018 4:57 AM

Mar 2010
Budapest 2019
Hungary tore the place down. At first I was a bit skeptical, but I genuinely loved that. Was not expecting a breakdown on ESC at all lmao

I missed the first night so I can't really speak about the others, but from what I caught a glimpse of, Germany is really good too.

May 11, 2018 8:23 AM
Jul 2018
I was wondering why there's still no thread about it since first semi-final happened.

Agree so much on Greece being robbed. Count Switzerland in as well.
Second semi-final was overall better than first; I was like 90% satisfied with those who got through.
Unpopular opinion but Hungary is not my jam at all.
Estonia and Albania are the vocal power couple.
Nordic countries are damn fine this year - especially Denmark's the strongest - gotta love Vikings blood. Tell 'em to watch Vinland Saga anime once it airs, I'm sure they gonna love it.
Isreal is so weird.
Bulgaria got serious about this contest three years in a row. Their entry is really powerful.
Moldova had the best, most creative performance imo, 10/10 they were fun to watch
I'm betting my hopes on the Big 5 tho; Italy, France, Spain - I would like one of them to win this to be very freaking honest.

guppika said:
Armenia and Turkey didn't qualify for the final so no.

Turkey is not participating in ESC since 2013. They are out of question. As for Armenia - yes, it should've gone in final instead of Ireland or Lithuania.
And Romania was a very pleasant surprise for me on the 2nd semi evening 'cause I didn't expect them to deliver the song good in live. Australia over Romania in final is injustice.
May 11, 2018 5:13 PM
Jul 2018
Eh, thought about doing a thread like last year but i really didnt wanna be known around the forums as the Eurovision guy... also not many people care about the event tha much given how politicised it can get.

That aside, i been liking the songs and performances a lot more this year in comparison with the last. Moldava is one of my favorites in terms of how they incorporate the song with the dancing. Song wise i really liked Denmark but Albania is a close second.

Edit: forgot to mention but Spain this year was also pretty good.
removed-userMay 11, 2018 5:16 PM
May 11, 2018 6:34 PM

Mar 2012
YAY EUROVISION POST

This final sounds SO GREAT SO FAR. I'm a pop-music and uptempo obsessed so I couldn't be happier. Also my top 5 (<3 SLOVENIA <3, Israel, Ukraine, Cyprus and Moldova) is intact, while last year my fave didn't qualify. Cyprus being the favorite atm makes me so happy because I miss my pop diva dominated eurovision back in 2003-2005 years + I love the song + the performance is yeah yeah fire.

that being said, i wouldn't mind AT ALL if hungary pulls off a Lordi 2.0 and wins the whole thing. i don't think they will win because of the juries (remember there weren't juries back in 2006), but i expect a top 5 in televote, maybe even top 3 like poland in 2016.

switzerland and malta should be there instead of lithuania and australia though. I would have loved to see my brazilian girl Laura in the finals, but she didn't do very well in the semis, unfortunately.

my biggest surprises this year were greece not qualifying (i know the staging wasn't good but stil..............) and serbia qualifying (i adore the song, it's my second favourite from the country and i never expected it to go through. it was a pleasure)

since i'm not european i can't vote, so good luck to you all tomorrow! I'd love to see more eurovision fans right here in MAL.
May 12, 2018 3:24 AM
Jul 2018
glamazon said:
Cyprus being the favorite atm makes me so happy because I miss my pop diva dominated eurovision back in 2003-2005 years + I love the song + the performance is yeah yeah fire..

Ah, the "yeah, yeah fire" meme. XD
She even find out the eurofans made a meme out of that. She posted this on her twitter account; it's hilarious.
May 12, 2018 9:58 AM

Mar 2012
youthful said:
glamazon said:
Cyprus being the favorite atm makes me so happy because I miss my pop diva dominated eurovision back in 2003-2005 years + I love the song + the performance is yeah yeah fire..

Ah, the "yeah, yeah fire" meme. XD
She even find out the eurofans made a meme out of that. She posted this on her twitter account; it's hilarious.

I SAW THIS LMAOOOOOOOOOOOO

I also love the video editing salvador speech to "music is fire"
May 12, 2018 11:27 AM

Mar 2015
The dude from Ukraine is so cute aah

My favorites are Israel, Hungary, Cyprus & Finland. Also lowkey rooting for Finland just so I can go watch it live next year :^)
May 12, 2018 12:05 PM

Aug 2015
Eurovision still exists? Damn. The last time i've heard of it was more than 10 years ago.
May 12, 2018 2:18 PM

Apr 2017
I don't watch Eurovision but it would be nice if my country would win.

buy mochi at the mochi store
and friends at the friend store

May 12, 2018 4:08 PM

Mar 2014
Israel won

I can't wait for the inevitable political shit show that'll be going down the next year
Comic_SansMay 12, 2018 4:11 PM
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
May 12, 2018 5:22 PM
Jul 2018
YO, GOD. Cyprus and Italy were heavily robbed, I'm suddenly mute.
May 12, 2018 7:31 PM

Mar 2012
CONGRATS FOR NETTA!!!!! It was my #2 song-wise, but considering song + performance, Cyprus should have won. Anyway, I'd have loved the result either way (plus i won't have to worry about "real music" speech in eurovision anymore!!!!!!!!!)

i was kinda surprised by the results though? i would never expect to see AUSTRIA that high. Also Lea, Mélovin and AWS (btw they did a dbz pose where are their mal accounts) were robbed

and screw that man who invaded surie's performance
May 13, 2018 3:08 AM

Oct 2016
I'm low-key irritated that Israel won, I was expecting it due to the somewhat powerful theme but that doesn't change the fact I really disliked the song. Still, can't help but to congratulate Netta on her wonderful performance.

My favourite song was for me was Germany's, I found it to be completely sweet and very emotional.

I was very upset that I couldn't watch it live due to the tickets being so expensive, I feel like I missed the oportunity of a life time... Also, can we just apreciate Salvador Sobral's performance at the end of the show? Sorry, sorry. I'm just in love with that boy.
May 13, 2018 5:02 AM

May 2013
Israel won. Israel. Literally one of the most politically controversial countries in the world..
Netta has a good voice but I find the song incredibly annoying and stupid, after few listens, it gets terrible and it's forgettable.
IMO, Italy, Moldova and Germany deserved better.

It's getting worse and worse every year. Eurovision has lost what it was meant to be about and that's sad.

May 13, 2018 4:28 PM
Jul 2018
Well while not the worst song to win the competition, there were a lot of better picks such as Austria and Estonia that would have deserved it more than Israel...
Regarding the ranking i would say that Spain deserved to had been ranked higher. Also i got ask but the hell was so appealing about that Sweden song to get so upvoted by the juries?
May 13, 2018 4:39 PM

Mar 2012
SeidouTZ said:
Also i got ask but the hell was so appealing about that Sweden song to get so upvoted by the juries?

sweden has been in juries' top 5 every year since 2012 (with the exception of 2016)

the reason is basically "it's from sweden"
May 13, 2018 5:08 PM
Jul 2018
glamazon said:
SeidouTZ said:
Also i got ask but the hell was so appealing about that Sweden song to get so upvoted by the juries?

sweden has been in juries' top 5 every year since 2012 (with the exception of 2016)

lol is that so? Never really notice it to much up until now. And to their credit i thought the 2015 sweden song "Heroes" was good as well as the the one from last year "I Can't Go On". This one however i really fail to see why the juries rank it so highly.
removed-userMay 13, 2018 5:13 PM
May 13, 2018 5:12 PM
Jul 2018
After a proper song, with a proper message, we get a meme-fest with chickens going wild, complaining about "stupid boys".

How freaking young are the people voting? Holy shit.
May 13, 2018 6:09 PM

Mar 2012
SeidouTZ said:
glamazon said:

lol is that so? Never really notice it to much up until now. And to their credit i thought the 2015 sweden song "Heroes" was good as well as the the one from last year "I Can't Go On". This one however i really fail to see why the juries rank it so highly.

i checked at wikipedia

besides 2010 when it was the only time sweden didn't qualify, the positions this decade were:
- 2011: jury 9th, tele 2nd, overall 3rd
- 2012: 1st in all of them
- 2013: jury 3rd, tele 18th, overall 14th
- 2014: jury 2nd, tele 4th, overall 3rd
- 2015: jury 1st, tele 3rd, overall 1st
- 2016: jury 9th, tele 6th, overall 5th
- 2017: jury 3rd, tele 8th, overall 5th
- 2018: jury 2nd, tele 23rd (lmao), overall 7th

ngl that out of these songs, the only one i really dislike is 2016's (i'm not a fan of 2014's tho). this year's song is middle of the road for me, yet i'm still shocked at how badly it was on televote
May 14, 2018 12:43 AM
Jul 2018
So more bad pop music? Super.
May 14, 2018 4:34 AM
Jul 2018
Israel's performance in the Grand Final is officially the most disliked video of all time on the Eurovision's YouTube channel.

The video reached more than 200K dislikes in just two days and they keep on growing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84LBjXaeKk4
removed-userMay 14, 2018 4:38 AM
May 14, 2018 8:18 AM

Jan 2018
Well, at least Isreal is gonna host it in 2019, but what are they going to do the social and political problems they faced such as terrorism, etc.

(sorry of my poor English)
May 15, 2018 12:13 AM
Jul 2018
youthful said:
Israel's performance in the Grand Final is officially the most disliked video of all time on the Eurovision's YouTube channel.

The video reached more than 200K dislikes in just two days and they keep on growing.

Comments are disabled for this video. So Stunning and Brave of them.
May 15, 2018 2:33 AM
Jul 2018
CC1987 said:
youthful said:

Region locked, maybe? I can actually see the comments.
May 15, 2018 3:56 AM

May 2016
I can see the comments as well.
May 15, 2018 4:24 AM

Feb 2015
I think I'm /eurovisioned out at this point... I just can't take any more of the generic songiness of it all.

May 15, 2018 3:26 PM

Mar 2010
Well that was disappointing. I've re-listened to every participating song and I can safely say that Israel is literally the worst. She has a good voice, but the song is absolutely terrible.
I don't get how the hell did vampire boi turn up last before televoting, his song and performance was better than the majority at least.

May 15, 2018 7:13 PM

Mar 2012
CC1987 said:
youthful said:

I can also see the comments. It's probably america-blocked
May 16, 2018 5:35 AM

Jan 2018
glamazon said:
CC1987 said:

I think US blocked the comment on YT because of hate Relationship between two the countries have.
May 17, 2018 7:28 PM

Mar 2012
hotsushikun said:
glamazon said:

I think US blocked the comment on YT because of hate Relationship between two the countries have.

who knows

all i know is that nothing is blocked in Brazil this time and i hope it isn't this year only just because caetano was part of the interval act
May 19, 2018 6:29 AM

Jan 2015
I really wish Eurovision would just die. It has become such shit tier ubergay nwo propaganda you can get cancer by even saying Eurovision aloud.
May 19, 2018 6:40 AM

Mar 2014
FahtahSensei said:
I really wish Eurovision would just die. It has become such shit tier ubergay nwo propaganda you can get cancer by even saying Eurovision aloud.
I didn’t know you were still around
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
May 19, 2018 6:52 AM

Jan 2015
Comic_Sans said:
FahtahSensei said:
I didn’t know you were still around

I'm not. This is a digital ether version preserved on the dogecoin blockchain.
May 19, 2018 11:25 AM
Jul 2018
I found Israel's song kinda annoying.
My favorites were Hungary, Denmark and ours (Austria), but especially Germany. That was such a beautiful tearjerker. <3

More topics from this board

» Non anime Japanese Movies recommendations

Akuho993 - 10 hours ago

5 by notPara »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Kendrick Lamar vs Drake... who's winning?

GoatPieceLuffy - May 5

7 by notPara »»
3 hours ago

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7647 by sund0wner »»
11 hours ago

» What was the last song you listened to? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Death - Oct 1, 2020

3415 by Ricchan__ »»
12 hours ago

» Discuss the last movie you watched ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

GloriousHawk - Dec 29, 2012

4829 by RenaPsychoKiller »»
Yesterday, 4:57 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.