Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 8, 2018 11:32 PM

Oct 2010

Yet none of this is relevant to this series. Very few anime make this abstract storytelling work, and this is not one of them. A distinction needs to be made between something like Yojohan that can effectively tell a story with symbolism and motifs vs Caligula. And oftentimes the distinction is clear; one spends its time developing character interactions to help viewers make those important mental connections (which also functions as a marker of story progression), while the other throws random, undefined characters into the mix at random points in an episode and tops it off with good ol' fanservice.

I was scrolling through the page and was quite amused to find a review confused on why they wasted the past episodes on "side-characters". But I guess that's how they appear if you don't even define their importance to the series. Shocking.
May 9, 2018 3:51 AM

Oct 2008
Looks like things went for worse as soon as Kotono unleashed her catharsis effect huh...
3/5.

May 9, 2018 6:44 AM

Sep 2015
HowTragic said:

Yet none of this is relevant to this series. Very few anime make this abstract storytelling work, and this is not one of them. A distinction needs to be made between something like Yojohan that can effectively tell a story with symbolism and motifs vs Caligula. And oftentimes the distinction is clear; one spends its time developing character interactions to help viewers make those important mental connections (which also functions as a marker of story progression), while the other throws random, undefined characters into the mix at random points in an episode and tops it off with good ol' fanservice.

I was scrolling through the page and was quite amused to find a review confused on why they wasted the past episodes on "side-characters". But I guess that's how they appear if you don't even define their importance to the series. Shocking.

And here we are in several problems
1. Problems that usually have with adaptations of video games, and I talk about games with gameplay or visual novels where alternative routes support the main one. The first is the attempt that a game with more than 30 hours can be good in a total of 12 episodes or even 24 if it is one that lasts a lot as is the case of Person 5.

Many adaptations suffer a main problem that is that the gameplay affects the story and its development, especially in games where the character development goes by events unrelated to the main story, as is the case of Caligula where the dungeons do not make us fully know a character, if not their events, events that happen outside the main story. As an example, I will use Steins Gate Zero, as much as possible to suffer this problem since their routes are part of the development of the main story, something that would not have saved Chaos Child from having come out with 24 episodes, we would have episodes totally unrelated to those that they want to tell us.

This leads us to another problem that is not of the series, is it the problem of the people, what is that nonsense of creating analysis or writing about episodes or even puncturing series when they still do not end? Where I work, when we make analysis of something we do after finishing what we are playing or reading, you never know if what bothers you at first is done on purpose (Like the repellent personality of Metallica in the Witch and the Hundred Knight ) and using for example, the first episode where all the criticism was in the personality of Ritsu and in her quotations of philisophers, the meme of pretentiousness, or people who complained that the quotes were without reason. No more than two episodes passed when everything started to make sense. Caligula is still developing and if all the mysteries that are in development, do not manage to have an answer, we would be facing a big problem, but at the moment everything is going well.

As for the Side Character, the character is throughout the game and serves as a comic relief and to awaken the Catharsis effect in the characters, where it takes relevance is already at the end of the game and in the ending

PD:
NayoutMay 9, 2018 7:04 AM
May 9, 2018 4:23 PM

Sep 2015
So they can be a 90 years old grandpa out of this world. I dont know why I thought it was teenager game.
May 9, 2018 7:35 PM

Oct 2010

I'm not really seeing your point, but here's what I did pick up.

If you're trying to say that the story is still in the process of developing the "mysteries", I'd say possible, but unlikely to both happen and be received as such; <40k users with an average score of 6.44. Say that we go out on a limb and say the story improves drastically and suddenly everything makes sense through some magical process not short of a miracle. In that case, I'm not sure that many people would even care at that point. There's been so little development in the past couple of episodes, a half-cour is unlikely to salvage what a 1-cour was already struggling to do.

If you're also saying that it's the people's fault... then I disagree. It's never the viewers that are at fault, especially if it's a prevalent mentality. If producers strive for a metaphysical plot but don't want to put in the exponential effort to construct a story with similar or greater depth, then all criticism and calls of pretentiousness are warranted. Keeping in mind that the whole point of this anime was to introduce the series to viewers that would potentially like the story and buy the upcoming game, I'd say the lack of clarity has conversely turned off many potential buyers.

But seriously even for someone who's played the game the past 5 episodes were just flat out boring. There was no combat despite this being a combat-centered game. The interpersonal bonds between club members, which was such a central theme in the game, is essentially nonexistent in this adaption. I got a good kick out of people calling main characters "side characters" because they don't even bother introducing them, and I'm not even sure why they included the catharsis effects - I mean it's not like people in this adaption fight with it or anything, right?
May 10, 2018 3:54 AM
Mar 2012
Group dating event turned re brainwashing eh? Bit less weird than previous batshit insane episodes.
Kotono seems an interesting addition to the mcs. Oh mahou shoujo transformation.
May 10, 2018 11:31 PM

May 2015
Tickets to get in line to talk to a girl lol.

Hehe, so Ritsu is one of those types who dislikes it when someone mocks their intelligence. But LMAO! He chose the best topics to discuss with the girls!

So Kotono seems to have an issue with men being indecisive, but her realization lead to her catharsis effect. "Go Live?" Should have just gone and said "Do it Live!"

Several things happened in this episode, but it ended on a cliffhanger, so I guess this is where we can move along with the story...and we may be seeing our first Rogue vs. Musician fight. Alright then.

"Looking forward doesn't equal progress on its own. Understanding one's situation is also an important step." Basically know where you are now before taking that step forward...
May 15, 2018 8:29 AM

Dec 2014
well U became insane nice this was more like it.... I am liking it more and more..still clueless as to what is actually going on lol...
Dec 8, 2019 8:09 PM

Jun 2014
Best girl, Kotono, awakens her catharsis effect before anyone else.. interesting.. and very awkward and random way how this whole episode progressed.
Mar 23, 2023 4:04 PM

Aug 2017
It was an OK episode, all we got is the eventual addition of konoto to the guns and bouquets band,
Also when are like the rest of the band get their powers LOL, Konoto just been introduced and instantly got her power,
Let's hope the rest of the episodes be better than this one.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Caligula Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 8, 2018

8 by Dekom »»
Apr 5, 2023 4:32 PM

Poll: » Caligula Episode 11 Discussion

Tarotist - Aug 9, 2018

3 by Dekom »»
Apr 4, 2023 5:22 PM

Poll: » Caligula Episode 10 Discussion

Tarotist - Aug 9, 2018

3 by Dekom »»
Apr 3, 2023 4:17 PM

Poll: » Caligula Episode 9 Discussion

fukumenkei - Aug 8, 2018

3 by Dekom »»
Apr 1, 2023 4:19 PM

Poll: » Caligula Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - May 27, 2018

15 by Dekom »»
Mar 26, 2023 4:14 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.