Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 7, 2018 8:04 AM

Jan 2017
I'm currently past chapter 8 and I don't know whether or not to keep reading. I was promised a "Korean Berserk", with relatively believable characters, complex story, and gray morality, and so far it's been a simple, almost shonen-like episodic tale about a guy with guns, who keeps spouting about how he doesn't care about anyone and just realises his goals, when in truth it's all talk and he's a hero saving the world from the baddies, and a girl with personality of a piece of cardboard who blindly follows the protagonist because he had her boyfriend's hairband on him.

Does it become better later on? Does it get any sort of actual story, character development, and, most importantly, gray morality? Because I started reading it expecting a mature, story-driven, dark fantasy manga, not an edgy battle shonen.
Feb 7, 2018 8:15 AM

Oct 2013
I heard the same thing about it is like berserk, dropped it at the first chapter, it was boring, didn't caught my attention at all.
Feb 7, 2018 8:19 AM

Jan 2017
keragamming said:
I heard the same thing about it is like berserk, dropped it at the first chapter, it was boring, didn't caught my attention at all.

Well, I'm still trying to give it a chance because it might actually be so similar to Berserk, it even pulls off its own "Black Swordsman arc", where the first arc is an absolute garbage fire, filled with pointless battles and edgy angst, and then it suddenly becomes good with the second arc. I'm slowly losing my patience, though, and have to know whether or not forcing through it is worth it.
Feb 7, 2018 10:14 AM
Dec 2012
I have mix feelings with this manga, the first half is average, not bad but nothing outstanding. Once in chapter 38 or something like that it starts one of my favorite arcs in any manga. I never sleep late at most I sleep at 3 am if the manga/anime is interesting but this is the only manga that its final chapters made me continue up to 8 am.
Feb 7, 2018 10:25 AM

Jan 2017
nasmas said:
I have mix feelings with this manga, the first half is average, not bad but nothing outstanding. Once in chapter 38 or something like that it starts one of my favorite arcs in any manga. I never sleep late at most I sleep at 3 am if the manga/anime is interesting but this is the only manga that its final chapters made me continue up to 8 am.

So, until those final chapters, it keeps going with its "episodic battle shonen" formula throughout most of its run? If that's the case, then I think I'm going to pass on it.
Feb 27, 2018 7:31 AM

Feb 2013
ninja666 said:
nasmas said:

So, until those final chapters, it keeps going with its "episodic battle shonen" formula throughout most of its run? If that's the case, then I think I'm going to pass on it.

it is overall pretty episodic, around 1/3 the real story starts but even than it has a few side stories.the arc about his past is rly great though and the last arc about the battle against his "griffith" is also great

and calling it like berserk is not rly a truth though.
The only thing that both have, is that the mcs gets taken pretty much everything from them by a demon with godlike powers.
My favorite quotes from animes:

Those who seek miracles will never experience one. The hand of salvation only extends to people
who try to make miracles happen. - Ef a tale of melodies.
I destroy worlds. I create worlds. - Code geass
We are humans. - Shinsekai yori
100 push-ups, 100 sit-ups, 100 squats, and a 10km run EVERY SINGLE DAY!!! - One punch man
Mar 24, 2018 8:46 PM

Jun 2007
ninja666 said:
I'm currently past chapter 8 and I don't know whether or not to keep reading. I was promised a "Korean Berserk", with relatively believable characters, complex story, and gray morality, and so far it's been a simple, almost shonen-like episodic tale about a guy with guns, who keeps spouting about how he doesn't care about anyone and just realises his goals, when in truth it's all talk and he's a hero saving the world from the baddies, and a girl with personality of a piece of cardboard who blindly follows the protagonist because he had her boyfriend's hairband on him.

Does it become better later on? Does it get any sort of actual story, character development, and, most importantly, gray morality? Because I started reading it expecting a mature, story-driven, dark fantasy manga, not an edgy battle shonen.

I may have been the one to first describe SAO as 'the Korean Berserk' with my manga recommendation. The start of SAO is very much like the pre and post Golden Age arc rolled into one; which leads into SAO's very own best-part-of-series backstory saga. It starts at its worst, with the two-part (iirc) pilot in particular having shoddy art and the story/characters being changed after due to coming across amateurish. Kinda similar to how no-one thought Berserk was great during the rough Black Swordsman part at the beginning.

Munsu is very much like Guts immediately after the eclipse, at the start: he does not want to trust or lose anyone else, so he acts like an arsehole to distance himself... only to end up with allies that follow him regardless, ironically. That is why he comes across so harsh yet ultimately still ends up somewhat reluctantly helping others and is unable to get rid of his unwelcome new allies. Plus, there's more to Chun than meets the eye.

Whilst it does start episodic and some chapters are better than others, I actually found many of the stories quite fascinating: they are nearly all inspired by Korean folklore and history, which is obviously not dealt with in Japanese manga. This is explained at the end of each chapter/arc. And the majority of the stories do have a morally grey, bittersweet seinen tone--there is rarely a happy end and characters from Munsu's past, such as SAO's very own Griffith, are gradually introduced, leading into its lengthy flashback arc.

The more you read, the harder it is not to see Berserk's overwhelming influence in the characterisation and narrative. It isn't quite so obvious at the start but I imagine anyone that has read it at length would describe it as Korea's very own Berserk.

PS: As I think was said, it's about one-third of the way through that SAO's Golden Age-esque arc begins. The main villain is introduced far earlier, though. I think it's around v7 or 8.
AironicallyHumanMar 24, 2018 8:55 PM

More topics from this board

» I want to read this

Stormen - Mar 4, 2021

2 by removed-user »»
Oct 7, 2021 6:25 AM

Poll: » Shin Angyo Onshi Chapter 1 Discussion

Beatnik - Feb 7, 2009

12 by cchigu »»
Apr 8, 2020 2:08 AM

Poll: » Shin Angyo Onshi Chapter 66 Discussion

joe_g7 - Nov 21, 2016

1 by Doctor_Pepper »»
Dec 29, 2017 4:42 AM

Poll: » Shin Angyo Onshi Chapter 56 Discussion

ExoticBankai - Jun 16, 2016

2 by Danae »»
Dec 7, 2017 3:47 AM

Poll: » Shin Angyo Onshi Chapter 55 Discussion

joe_g7 - Nov 21, 2016

1 by Danae »»
Dec 7, 2017 3:28 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.