Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 22, 2018 7:04 AM

Jun 2017
I'm just curious and couldn't find any information on the internet. Hayate's accent or at least, the way she finishes statements is noticably different from everyone else.

What IS that dialect? I don't really know enough about the Japanese language to make that distinction, but it's plain to hear - unless it just happens to be one of those weird tic's that anime likes to add, a la Naruto and One Piece.

So, is this accent an actual Japanese dialect, and if so what is it?
Feb 2, 2018 6:18 AM

Jun 2010
VeggyZ said:
So, is this accent an actual Japanese dialect, and if so what is it?

Hayate speaks with a very strong Kansai-ben.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansai_dialect

Osaka-ben and Kansai-ben are actually quite common in anime, especially slice-of-life. You are probably only noticing it now because Hayate's seiyuu really emphasized it with her character.
For reference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtKgBZ0MVEw
Feb 4, 2018 2:35 AM

Jun 2017
I've definitely heard them before, such as Aoi from Zettai Karen Children and Ayumu "Osaka" Kasuga from Azumanga Daioh ...but with Hayate it's far more pronounced than most than I think I've heard anywhere. (well, or I just noticed it more...) So much so that I wasn't sure if that was it, heh.

Thanks for the answer, it was sorta driving me crazy even though I had my suspicions that this is what it was ;)

Haha, and now that I click your link I see that very example, Azumanga! One of the forebears of slice-of-life anime...! Always classy. I think the reason I didn't make the distinction of it's similarities with "Osaka" is because I may have figured it was less an accent and more that she's just a little "special" ..."spacey" ... it's sort of adorable from a character like her or Hayate.
Alpha-MethylFeb 4, 2018 2:39 AM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha: The Movie 2nd A's Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

animehobbit - Jul 16, 2012

62 by Tardivex »»
Aug 6, 2021 2:01 PM

» Second Movie Commentary

EmilyEvelan - Jun 12, 2015

0 by EmilyEvelan »»
Jun 12, 2015 8:59 AM

» Questions about this and the 1st movie.

MoonXArtemis - Mar 21, 2013

4 by Xerain »»
Mar 26, 2013 6:34 PM

» ???

Aklyon - Jan 1, 2012

2 by Yuuh »»
Dec 9, 2012 6:08 AM

» Preview #2

Stark700 - Jun 23, 2012

0 by Stark700 »»
Jun 23, 2012 10:50 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.