Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 30, 2017 7:15 AM

Nov 2008
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
I really enjoyed this light hearted series.
Anyways, did Kanata really married Aries and immediately left her on Astra to explore the universe? LOL
Dec 30, 2017 9:06 AM

Sep 2015
I'm going to miss Astra so much. I'm so upset that I won't see these characters again.
Dec 30, 2017 10:00 AM
Nov 2008
I can't believe it's over! It was so good! I'm glad there are other fans on here! And that Aries got married to Kanata! But then he left her like Sasuke left Sakura right after marrying her and impregnating her at the end of Naruto Shippuden.
Dec 30, 2017 9:45 PM

Jul 2015
And this is over! That was one fantastic ride with twists I didn't expect and awesome characters, I'm really going to miss them. 9/10 from my part, very nice stuff!
Dec 31, 2017 1:27 AM

Jul 2016
10/10

This author really knows how to make good stories and likeable characters.

I am looking forward to his future projects.
Dec 31, 2017 5:01 PM

Feb 2013
SilverDio said:
10/10

This author really knows how to make good stories and likeable characters.

I am looking forward to his future projects.

Did you read Sket Dance? If not, go read. It's one of the best manga that I ever read and he's great in there.
Sep 4, 2018 3:17 PM
Nov 2014
Had some pretty good twists, but other than that, it was pretty boring. I had to force myself to finish it.
5/10
Oct 27, 2018 4:43 AM
Oct 2017
Flevalt said:
Astra was an adventure for sure.

But the ending was horrible.

Reason 1: The clones didn't have an ounce of sympathy for their original selves.

If I was in their shoes, I would at the very least have some sort of an identity crisis before questioning whether I, as a mere clone, even have the right to take the place of the original, whether I wouldn't have desired the same thing as my original self etc.

The story just made them the bad guys and that was that. No moral questioning of any kind from the protagonists. It was so inhuman that it was almost borderline creepy as hell, everyone enjoying their happy ending while it gets announced that their originals have been detained.

They even made Quitterie look the EXACT same as her original at the end and still as a viewer you're supposed to not feel for the originals one bit.
How awkward is that?

I felt like there was no good reason to hate the originals for their relatable desires and that the author just naively assumed that these actions of the originals would be viewed as despicable by every reader.

Reason 2: The protagonists got steadily detached from the reader

It wasn't even just that they were ice cold towards their originals, that was just the finishing touch.
They started disconnecting the characters from the reader by revealing that they aren't from Earth.
You of course still view them as human, but that reveal still detaches you from them because you're from Earth and you were lead to believe they are too. But they're from an entirely different civilization, not even anything alike to anything humans know. They may be the descendants of earthlings, but they're still aliens more than anything.
The same with the reveal that they are all clones. Just one reveal after another that just distances you from these characters more.

Reason 3: The characters' endings just made no sense.

They all returned from their space travels to overthrow a belief that was faked for generations. There would have been more than "some anti-government movements", the whole system governing the planet would have collapsed.
The Astra's return would have thrown the mostly peaceful life on the planet with their fake history back into the age where the earth had been basically.
The "heroes" of the story, in this kind of scenario, would have been the bad guys.

Charce, whose original had just been dethroned and imprisoned for treason and deceit of all of humanity, was appointed the next king, BECAUSE he had the dna of his father in him? What the hell? No, he would have been imprisoned too, if anything. The former king shaked everyone's trust to the core, and then they put someone that is his duplicate in his place to rule next?
Did everyone on Astra get manipulated to be a mindless obedient doll or something of the sort?

And to finish this whole nonsense off, Kanata gets married, then flies off into space leaving his woman behind. Okay.

They had a great message in there, that people are how they are because of how they were raised and to think for oneself, but the whole ending just dragged that whole message through the mud.

Sorry but i don't think the reasoning is quite alright here. First of all they never replaced their originals, in fact being a replacement for them is what they were against right after they knew about themselves. And what the originals actually planned was to clone themselves, overwrite their clones' memory with the originals' and live life in the cloned bodies. In short they were basically harvesting human bodies for themselves to use. I don't know if justification of that is possible in any way, but I'll surely want to lend an ear if anyone tries. In the end, despite the fact that they were cloned, they all followed their own dreams that they thought up with their own mind. Looking alike to their originals doesn't imply anything here, as far as i can see.

And the reason 2 just seems totally illogical. They are humans, no matter where they are. Their linage directly descends from humans and in fact not many years have passed that would cause them to evolve into a different species. In fact, they are more-or-less the same as what humans 100 years from now in earth are supposed to be. Migrating to a different planet wouldn't in any way change what a being fundamentally is. It may incite another branch of evolution but according to the manga this planet was pretty much the same as Earth so that cancels that option too. In short they totally are same as humans from earth.

Reason 3 is more of a complaint then a criticism. The truth didn't prove anything about the government being corrupted. What it did, was just show that the ancestors tried to hide a major part of history from their next generation just because they thought this would establish peace. The ancestors were at fault here, not the government. Some people might think that the government is still somehow conducting the conspiracy but that doesn't ensure that there would be more than "some anti-government movements", there might be, but it isn't "there must be." In the end, this a shounen manga so you could expect that they would bring a light hearted conclusion, but from what I see, none of it was nonsensical. You could say that "I prefer that than this", but you can't say that "this is impossible."

Anyways I personally found this to be one of my best experience with shounen anime/manga. Not sure if it's an 8/10 or 9/10 for me. I'll currently go with a 9.
Oct 27, 2018 9:53 AM
Oct 2017
@Flevalt I'm not used to quoting segments of a post so ill just be copy-pasting different segments, if necessary. hope you don't mind.

It seems you misunderstood a big factor of my entire post. Whenever I used the words like 'fault' or talked about concepts like right and wrong i never meant what i thought was right and wrong, I was simply pointing out what the society and characters overall consider right and wrong. My personal opinion had nothing to do with this and my only criticism was that the story wasn't nonsensical i.e. self-contradictory as you were making it out to be.

"Also, are you telling me that you can not relate to the desire of wanting to prolong your life?
Don't bother with the ethical aspects surrounding the whole way in which it is done, killing others to prolong your life is bad, okay. But forget about that for a second."

My paragraph above answers this. It wasn't about what i want. The society that the manga portrayed considered it immoral and illegal. So taking actions against it was only natural. This manga never involved the philosophical question of whether such an activity is ethical or unethical. But nor does it imply however that such a question doesn't exist among anyone.

"Now you can completely disregard aspects like these or give them very little weighting, but for the main characters to not even invest some thought into it, that's just what I find incredibly dumb. Not even questioning their own being, not asking themselves once what's good for humanity vs what they want etc. I mean they are flying on a space ship through the universe, for god's sake!"

They asked themselves, if they are just clones of other people, do they even have any individuality? They then came to the conclusion that it isn't the dna that defines them individually, it's the experience and memories that crafted their individuality. So, just having the same dna doesn't make them replicas of their originals. This is the thought they had. Or are you saying that they should have thought about complying with their originals' decision? That's like saying that kidnapped kids should think whether complying with their kidnappers might be right. If you're talking about why they didn't think about the morality of cloning as a whole, it's because that question was totally irrelevant to the situation they're in. Who knows whether they thought about it after getting home.

"TL;DR: You think I'm disappointed because the MCs didn't take the moral standpoint that I wanted,
but I'm disappointed because the MCs just didn't even raise the very question of what is right and what is wrong."

I think that the characters raising "the very question of what is right and what is wrong", is unnecessary, and if you're thinking it's necessary, then sorry but i don't see how.

"I'm not talking about evolution. I'm talking about their minds.How much do you relate to African tribes with plate-earrings, tongue and mouth piercings and tribalistic rites?What about the romans, who kept slaves and slept with children?Different times, different cultures, right? They're still human."

I agree with you. But the author clearly showed the sentiment of the characters throughout the manga. And even though they didn't have wars and religion, they still portrayed a sentiment which is similar to the one prevalent in the current society, at least from my perspective. That fact made them relatable throughout. You may argue that 100 years from now people won't have the same sentiment, but I say, who are we to decide that? The author didn't even say that this earth is exactly the same as ours. He has liberty in that matter.

"You talk about a "fault" and how they "thought" it would bring peace, but that's the thing: Is there even a fault that was commited? Peace did come, so the intended outcome was accomplished in the end."

Once again it's not me. The society considered hiding the truth a fault. Whom would they blame according to the plot? The ancestors; not the government. The government may have been established on that conspiracy but it does not run on that conspiracy. Correct me if i'm wrong, but it was the royalty that knew the secret and not the government right?

"If those are really still humans on that planet of Astra, then I can guarantee you a 100%, there would be people that would despise the clones for being clones. Yes it's wrong, yes it's shallow and short-sighted, but those human aspects just exist. On one hand you want to tell me that these are no different from our humans, but then you tell me that this behavior of them makes sense? One or the other, pick."

It depends on the chain of events that happened after they got there. Perhaps some social construction movement occurred that contained the outbreak of indiscipline. Perhaps the government somehow played a strategic move to control it. When I said that they are relatable I didn't mean they have the exact same mentality as us, nor did I mean it when I said they totally are humans. I am an asian so my thought process most probably is quite different then yours, but that does that mean I'm not a human in your perspective, or you can't sympathize with my pain?

At this point you might be thinking that I'm trying so hard to justify the author, but that isn't my intention. I'm pretty sure the author didn't think of an explanation to every doubt that might rise from reading the plot. My only point is that if there was no obvious,definite and undebatable self-contradiction in the plot then criticizing the author just based on assumptions is pretty... unwarranted. At that point you just state you don't like it and move on. Nobody can complain against that i.e. against your preference.

And sorry, my use of the word complaint wasn't accurate it seems. By complaint I meant you were accusing the story to be bad just because it was not following your preference. And by criticism I meant pointing out undebatable self-contradictions in the story .
Oct 28, 2018 8:07 AM
Oct 2017
@Flevalt Yeah I think I completely understand where you're coming from and it's not blamable in any way. I think most shounens can be accused guilty of this aspect, which is, lacking intelligibility in defining the details. If the shounen's genre is say, politics, then they most likely will put much thought in that aspect but the other plot holes are matched up just according to the emotions or whims of the writer. This initially caused me to dislike the shounen genre as a whole but then i watched/ read a few shounens that did amazing in other aspects while having the same lackings and i thought, "If just the lack of details negatively impacts the experience of a whole show for me, then I don't think this perspective is very helpful." This caused me to develop the mentality of checking more the integrity of what the writer is trying to do, rather than what he is missing out.

And thanks for the nice replies. Sorry for being presumptuous but in the corner of my mind i thought that im getting myself tangled in some anger-debate but your replies were far better than expected. Anyways i checked up your score for 'kanata no astra'; you gave it a 7 which, from my perspective, is a totally fair score. So, cheers and have a good day!
trenchantbakaOct 28, 2018 8:21 AM
Jan 25, 2019 10:09 AM

Mar 2017
^Holy fucking essays, just say the main points and move on. Save these for your blog or something

10/10 series btw

Jan 28, 2019 2:09 AM

Jul 2011
I really loved this series. I bought all 5 vols and read them all in a night and it was so fantastically well-rounded. I absolutely love space exploration stuff so that might've helped but I genuinely feel this will be one of my all time favorites. 9/10 for me!
Feb 16, 2019 2:09 PM

Aug 2015
Although their were few things which i wanted to see in the final chapter(like kanata and co confronting their biological parents) but still the ending was quite satisfying.

Now,i am eagerly waiting for the anime.
Feb 22, 2019 11:20 PM

Apr 2011
madarchod said:
Although their were few things which i wanted to see in the final chapter(like kanata and co confronting their biological parents) but still the ending was quite satisfying.

Yeah, same. I wish that they had confronted them, especially since (despite what he said) I got the feeling that Kanata's dad really did care about him.
Ericonator said:
By definition, everything is retro since by the time you realize something has happened it's already in the past.
Feb 23, 2019 11:21 AM

Aug 2015
AngelicTotoro said:
madarchod said:

Yeah, same. I wish that they had confronted them, especially since (despite what he said) I got the feeling that Kanata's dad really did care about him.

Yes,and not only him but it felt like some of the other parents may also be hiding their real feelings towards their kids

all in all, the confrontation would have been truly interesting
Mar 3, 2019 1:22 AM

May 2010
Wished Luca and Quitterie went the crew
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Mar 5, 2019 10:00 AM

Apr 2014
I just finished the manga today! if I ever seen it in a book store I'll totally buying all 5 volumes of it!! it's was such a fun adventure to read!( for about a year now I've only been reading webtoons and haven't read a manga in so long it was super refreshing!) I'm kinda hoping that add more to it when the anime comes out, because overall the journey seemed so short they will probably add filler episodes of them traveling in between planets and I'm welcome to it! I just hope overall it will be accurate. I just pray they add NO MECHA!!!
Apr 12, 2019 8:38 PM
Sep 2010
I just spent the last 9 hours reading volumes 2-5 of this series (read volume 1 yesterday)

I had no inetntion of finishing this manga today but i simply couldnt put the books down, no manga has done this for me in a long, long time.

I loved every moment of this series.

I'd love for the author to give us a sequel following Kanata, Zack and Charce as they explore the universe.

10/10 for me.
Jun 20, 2019 3:06 PM

Dec 2017
Flevalt said:
Astra was an adventure for sure.

But the ending was horrible.

Reason 1: The clones didn't have an ounce of sympathy for their original selves.

If I was in their shoes, I would at the very least have some sort of an identity crisis before questioning whether I, as a mere clone, even have the right to take the place of the original, whether I wouldn't have desired the same thing as my original self etc.

The story just made them the bad guys and that was that. No moral questioning of any kind from the protagonists. It was so inhuman that it was almost borderline creepy as hell, everyone enjoying their happy ending while it gets announced that their originals have been detained.

They even made Quitterie look the EXACT same as her original at the end and still as a viewer you're supposed to not feel for the originals one bit.
How awkward is that?

I felt like there was no good reason to hate the originals for their relatable desires and that the author just naively assumed that these actions of the originals would be viewed as despicable by every reader.

Reason 2: The protagonists got steadily detached from the reader

It wasn't even just that they were ice cold towards their originals, that was just the finishing touch.
They started disconnecting the characters from the reader by revealing that they aren't from Earth.
You of course still view them as human, but that reveal still detaches you from them because you're from Earth and you were lead to believe they are too. But they're from an entirely different civilization, not even anything alike to anything humans know. They may be the descendants of earthlings, but they're still aliens more than anything.
The same with the reveal that they are all clones. Just one reveal after another that just distances you from these characters more.

Reason 3: The characters' endings just made no sense.

They all returned from their space travels to overthrow a belief that was faked for generations. There would have been more than "some anti-government movements", the whole system governing the planet would have collapsed.
The Astra's return would have thrown the mostly peaceful life on the planet with their fake history back into the age where the earth had been basically.
The "heroes" of the story, in this kind of scenario, would have been the bad guys.

Charce, whose original had just been dethroned and imprisoned for treason and deceit of all of humanity, was appointed the next king, BECAUSE he had the dna of his father in him? What the hell? No, he would have been imprisoned too, if anything. The former king shaked everyone's trust to the core, and then they put someone that is his duplicate in his place to rule next?
Did everyone on Astra get manipulated to be a mindless obedient doll or something of the sort?

And to finish this whole nonsense off, Kanata gets married, then flies off into space leaving his woman behind. Okay.

They had a great message in there, that people are how they are because of how they were raised and to think for oneself, but the whole ending just dragged that whole message through the mud.

Okay sooo... I didnt read all of the essays you two argued abot ( only half) so im sorry if this is late or you already found a conclusion to this. Also some shit might be completely pointless. But i want to give my thoughts aswell and SORRY FOR ANOTHER ESSAY XD
The following are my thoughts:

Reason1: no i dont find it weird that they barely had any sympathy towards their bioparents at the end of the series BECAUSE when they first found out about this they DID think about it (you saw kanata asking everyone how they were handling this)
AND i just don understand why you might want something better for the parents since it would almost be the same as current ly terrorism is you blindly kill people cause you think your god or whatever wants that. YES for SOME people it might seem rational but for me it is the equivelant of my mom randomly telling me to kill myself because it would make her happy... So no i dont find the characters decisions weird.

Reason 2: they arent aliens they are humans for sure and i dont feel detached causeeven we currently are looking for ways to make other planetss suitable for human life. This just feels to le like you are saying well since that kid is from a different house he isnt human or i cant relate to him at all. Dunno just this reason seems totally absurd to me.

Reason 3: yes it wouldnt be THAT EASY to get the goverment to agree to sth like that but i think it would be quite close since one of the astras survivors has a chance of getting IMMENSE CONTROL and they threatened thel with leaking all the history though out of all the reasons this was the most understandable

Now the king... Without making another essay its simple THEY HAD TO FIND SB TO BE THE HEIR otherwise another war would start now sure there would probably be some trust issues at first but in the end the child didnt ACTUALLY DO ANYTHING CRIMINAL did he? It seems like they made it seem so to the police atleast so thats why there werent that many problems with making him the heir. Also the only distrust the previous king created was the thing revolving clones and that can easily be avoided by giving the ne king some limits for his freedom like regularly keeping tabs on his actions.

And well for Kanatas marrage that was a bit stupid yeah...
PokoAndWheatJun 20, 2019 3:20 PM
BooOOoO! SPoOoooKY! >:o(-(
Jun 22, 2019 6:47 PM

Dec 2017
Flevalt said:

Yeah the readability suffers a lot in long posts. The flipside is that you can't really pack good, meaningful exchanges in just a few lines.

To 1. I am not putting myself on the side of the parents, but it was extremely unnatural how quickly these characters managed to emotionally detach themselves from their parents to go from "i love my parents" to "let's imprison these criminals". And the reason they gave for this change was something that - to a fan of space exploration or science - should be at least somewhat understandable for these people. Things like curiosity and to explore the unknown, even if these things are considered immoral or taboo by current standards.

To 2. It's not that absurd if you think about it on a more basic level.
The more you have in common with something, the more you can sympathize with it.
You can easily sympathize with other mammals.
Can you sympathize with plants or insects? Less people can sympathize with those.
What about a virus or other microorganisms? How much sympathy are we willing to give those? The further away you step from similarities, the more distanced you naturally become. If a stranger dies, you're not as bothered as if a person dies, whom you know shares something with you.

You can say you didn't become detached. And I didn't become fully detached from them either. And it's not what I meant. But the more you take away in similarities, the more you put a distance between the characters and the readers. At least that is the effect that it can (or would typically) have.

To 3. Not the son creates the trust issues in that situation. His father was apprehended because he abused everyone's trust.
A sound mind can't blame the son for this and to us, the readers, who have followed him and know his story, it's a no-brainer that he is not to blame.
The people of astra do not have this context information and if they received it, e.g. from the news, it wouldn't be nearly as clear whether to trust that information source.
All the people know for certain is that the son is a clone of the father and that he was raised (and therefore probably indoctrinated to adapt his father's beliefs) by his father.
If I watch the news, I never know how much of the information is the truth and how much is just portrayed maybe wrong by how much they are willing to show and to talk about. There is always an agenda behind every news outlet and very few (if any) unbiased sources exist.
And when something negative takes the headlines, e.g. bombings by some terrorist, then people make a huge topic out of it and start searching for someone that is responsible regardless of how the reality looks like or if there even is someone responsible. Typically this thirst for justice from people is quenched by authorities by taking a scapegoat (usually any believable one will do) and punish them publicly.
If you ever followed news on criminals, they always catch someone potentially responsible for a crime, but rarely is there evidence that would be sufficient to say that they are really the perpetrator. Most of the police work is just guessing work with the goal to uphold the image that the public safety in the country is doing well. Investigations are stopped even if a perpetrator might still be on the loose, basically.

I know a fictional story doesn't always have a goal of being authentic, but I felt like in this case it was showing how few of the world the author understands.
Granted, the people of Astra were brought up way different from us from what I understood, so since they are more rational people (like Spock from Star Trek) maybe in that context the reaction of the population WOULD make sense.
I would still say most likely not but that would be a good point that speaks for the author's decision.

1. Yea i guess this is a thing where either you understand it or dont... No in between. For me it seems totally normal. I just cant fathom why i would hesitate in hating them. They tried to use me in a disgusting manner. Even IF i would hesitate it would be because id think of possibilities that maybe they tried to kill me so i wouldnt be tortured or some bs like that. Id just hate them and i wouldnt care if it was for evolving technology or whatever id just be selfish and hate.

2. Yes in most cases that is true but here i didnt feel distanced. Maybe its because most of the enviroment on astra was relatively similar though advanced compared to earth but this just didnt influence me.

3. What im trying to say is that it seems like the public knows the following: son hasnt done anything criminal but is a clone of the king and therefore the next heir, only bad thing the king did in the publics eyes was a clone so they might not like the clone(i agree that the people would probably not trust him much, but you originally said its unlikely he would become the heirnot that the public would hate him)
He can become the heir because: he hasnt done anything criminal (since the others defended him), this mangas world laws have a law which allows the clones to live a completely normal life without any punishments, due to that there isnt anything which would prevent him from being able to be the next heir and since there werent any others who could take his spot he was crowned the king. Even if they found something then they would probably as i said before have sb from the goverment watch over his actions therefore limiting his freedom.

Or atleast this is my interpretation of the logic behind all of this.

And i totally agree with you that discussing this HAS TO HAVE long essays.
Also sorry for any inconsistencies, spelling mistakes, bad sentences or anything of the sort, wrote it off the top of my head on a phone... So yeah... Not the greates combo :)
PokoAndWheatJun 22, 2019 6:56 PM
BooOOoO! SPoOoooKY! >:o(-(
Jul 12, 2019 12:32 PM

Sep 2012
Not sure why you guys are pointing out that Kanata left his wife to go to space when Zack is doing the same thing and Charce, who is a king of a country is going to space.
Aug 14, 2019 8:46 PM
Aug 2014
What a ride.
It won't solve all problems all the time, but human perseverance is quite amazing.
I still question the decision to reveal the truth, but what do I care I am dead in that timeline.
Aug 18, 2019 9:04 PM
Jun 2016
So, just finished the manga....

Story:
Not bad at all. I liked the plot twists and turns, and I liked the theme of surviving adversity...adapting easily. Also, the various planets were interesting too.

Fun bits
1.Was surprised at Luca's conditon....until I saw it was a plot point. Well played.
2.I doubt that things like cloning would be outlawed like that.
3.Seems like rewriting history isn't the province of 'Bad crapsack dictatorships'. Even an utopian society like Astra rewrites history too.
4.So, Polina is like a centenarian?
5.Ulgar and Funica? Thought that Ulgar and Luca made more sense (grin).
"The greatness of one's sorrow when parting is the evidence of the deepness of one's love, so if one fears sadness, one wouldn't be able to love anything."
Aug 31, 2019 9:20 PM
Jul 2015
This story sort of feels like a mini One Piece (I mean, what adventure Shonen doesn't?). Yeah, I agree a lot with Flevalt. For me, I was quite surprised to see it on top 3 of Kono Manga. Don't get me wrong. I stayed up till 7AM to read it from chapter 1 to 49. It definitely did itself right. The adventure department is, in my humble opinion, the star. All the planets world-building made sense. The pacing was fast but smooth, and allowed so much characterisation for best boi (Charce). The main stuff that I had a problem with is what a lot of readers considered the star, the mystery.

Like I said, the mystery was intriguing. Earlier chapters presented it in bite sizes. Everything was laid out with a pretty ribbon and all the twists and turns were presented along with the adventure in a tight package. Yet, the moment (spoiler) a certain person came on board, the story threw that amazing aspect away. I have to admit, the way the author connected the adventure with the bigger plot/ conspiracy was extremely well-done. My problem was with how it was executed. If anyone still remembers, the scene where the big bads met to discuss after our heroes found out about their identity. Jesus infodump. It played out so unnaturally that I was immediately had to stop my reading flow and WTF. What bad guys sit together and brag/ pat each other on the backs about their own evil deeds? It felt like a forced exposition... That chapter was rather painful to read (the same way persona 5 did that LOL 10 minutes evil guys exposition). In that sense, the antagonists was definitely dehumanised too much to make the heroes look nicer, which probably led to what made Flevalt felt distant to the characters. That situation repeats itself when Kanata talked one-one with his crews about their feelings. I swear I LOLed so hard when Kanata sat awkwardly in a corner in each conversations. The "show don't tell rule of story" was absolutely demolished here, as each characters talk about their feelings so openly. I mean I get it. They were all friends and had plenty of developments at that point. It's not the logical aspect of it that made it not good for me, it's the way the characterisations were done. Remember how Sanji took a whole arc to come to terms with his feelings? How Robin took the whole crew on a roll just to utter the words "I want to live?" I understand I'm comparing apples and oranges here, but the characterisations, the way they came to terms with that huge identity crisis were not in any way relatable to me. Perhaps there were some thinkings behind the scene, but again, "show don't tell"! And this is the reason why Charce is best boi. That last twist, linking his inner struggle to the feudal philosophy, the extent to which someone would go for their belief was amazingly humane (he was definitely planned as the star of the show), and considering the extent Kanata went to save him, his conversion to the good guy was rather convincing (Kanata is his king now!).

All in all, this has been a long rant... 7.5/10!
Sep 3, 2019 6:26 AM
Jul 2018
This is the best manga. I hope the same event will happen to ours :)
Jan 29, 2023 7:50 AM

Jul 2021
the plot twists were fucking amazing, i really liked how everything started to fall into pieces in the later half of the manga, just like some mystery-detective show even though its not :)

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kanata no Astra Chapter 7 Discussion

Ranxomare - Nov 19, 2017

1 by Kowareta_Hoshi »»
Feb 11, 2023 7:50 AM

Poll: » Kanata no Astra Chapter 37 Discussion

Phaetons_Folly - Oct 13, 2018

2 by walla »»
May 4, 2020 7:30 PM

Poll: » Kanata no Astra Chapter 48 Discussion

MetaThPr4h - Dec 16, 2017

1 by derprume »»
Aug 14, 2019 8:12 PM

Poll: » Kanata no Astra Chapter 47 Discussion

jonnjonzz - Dec 3, 2017

2 by derprume »»
Aug 14, 2019 7:56 PM

Poll: » Kanata no Astra Chapter 43 Discussion

Phaetons_Folly - Dec 30, 2018

1 by derprume »»
Aug 14, 2019 5:12 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.