Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 4, 2017 11:58 AM

Nov 2007
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Oh, we get a rewind of time and this chapter takes places around five months before the incident where Taichi left Shiranami society and decided to quit playing Karuta!

Right off the bat, Taichi is ranked first second! And he just simply can't believe it. And to a boy who goes by the name Hirai Harutaka and he doesn't even recall ever meeting him although Hirai-kun says they used to get along! Taichi's grim face recalling his Oni-mom made me feel sorry for him!

But then of course he had to reveal it to his mom. I found it amusing how the first thing she asked after he entered home was his ranking (the okaerinasai felt just like a formality)! [This might be unrelated but I always ranked one of the top 3 throughout my school years but I am so glad my parents never put any pressure on me.]

Anyways, apparently he actually met Hirai-kun in the kindergarten and was in the special class that took in talented children. But Taichi was Taichi of the past and called Hirai-kun a "Gariben" (someone who only studies and studies)! But what came shocking to Taichi that Hirai-kun wasn't even giving his all. Doesn't that make him EXTREMELY talented, lol? BUT that is not important here. I mean he was banned from saying things like "demo" and "datte" because it makes him look more than a sore loser. I really feel for him. Taichi's mom is just too strict! She is so easy to be disappointed.

But when it came to the discussion of the club, Taichi was so happy when his mom said he should get into the serious football course by getting first place during the selection through trials. How he practiced was so admirable! And he did get results! However, shuffling between club, studies, cram school and the pressure from his mom was taking a toll on him. And with all of this, he just couldn't find time for Shiranami society! Poor boy!

Did I ever say why I love Harada-sensei? How his expression changed when he realized Taichi was having it hard was so sweet. When I think about where Chihayafuru manga is at right now (ch. 190), it felt extra precious. Loved how he petted Taichi's head and tells him that Chihaya has been waiting for him after Taichi declared he wanted to do things properly! :)

OMG! Chihaya made Taichi blushed saying how good he looked in his middle school uniform! And he responded saying Chihaya didn't look good on hers! Haha! As they played a match, Taichi was relieved that Chihaya was so accepting. And not only that, even at defeat, when Chihaya said she enjoyed it so much having the chance to play with him after quite a while was precious.

As he declared how he wanted to be selected as the best during the football trials, not only Chihaya didn't know what he was talking about (how bad she is in complicated words!), she just brushed it off and said that they should have another go in Karuta because that's more important! This girl and her Karuta! I cannot even bring myself to think how Taichi felt just then when he was so serious!

Lucks have it that Hirai-kun showed up during the trials with the third years and I could almost see where it was heading when Taichi assumed Hirai-kun was taking it lightly. And as abusive as Taichi was back then, which we saw how he dealt with Arata, he said he was the only one who would pass the selection process after Hirai-kun said he looked forward to be selected together with Taichi.

But Taichi was so wrong! Hirai-kun aced as a goalie. He didn't let a single shot past him and as Taichi was so jealous of how Hirai-kun was standing out, he collided with another player and received a yellow card. But that was not all, he actually got injured and had to be subbed out. And to make it even worse, Hirai-kun actually got moved from the goalie position to the DM role Taichi was at and aced as a DM as well. And unlike Taichi, where he lost command as a DM, Hirai-kun actually had a proper game-plan and his teammates were more willing to listen to him because of the way he asked them instead of the way Taichi was "commanding" the teammates. And obviously, Hirai-kun got selected as the best ahead of everyone.

I can understand Taichi's feelings but I thought he was unbelievably rude how he behaved with Hirai-kun when he genuinely proposed that he will ask Sensei for another trial because he knew if it wasn't for the injury, Taichi would have been selected.

As he went to make his life a bit easier for him and beat Chihaya, he even got thoroughly beaten by Chihaya in Karuta. Chihaya didn't fail to sternly remind him that he lacked conviction and he wouldn't win the championship if he was like that. Just when he was about to yell back and tell Chihaya that he knew it and knew it well, he stopped halfway and Arata's face full of determination and effort came to his mind! ARATA! HIS FACE IS SHOWN FOR THE FIRST TIME IN THIS MANGA <3!

He left Chihaya behind for the day without even completing his sentence. I really felt bad for Taichi. I could see how much pressure was put on him but there was always someone better than him. Be it studies, football or karuta. He came to a conclusion that even if he made effort he probably won't ever become number one.

This is a wonderful Taichi chapter!

5/5
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Dec 4, 2017 9:24 PM

Jan 2016
awww. thank you for the summary. i cant find them somewhere online or scanlations. but thank you. it's good to know what happened to them during their middle school years.
Dec 5, 2017 10:45 AM

Nov 2007
saki88 said:
awww. thank you for the summary. i cant find them somewhere online or scanlations. but thank you. it's good to know what happened to them during their middle school years.

I don't share raws so I hope someone will eventually scanlate (hopefully TDX). The manga is actually not an alternative setting as it is described under MAL. It just covers the three years that got skipped in the original manga. I am sure it will connect to the point where Chihaya meets Taichi again in her high school.

Well, who am I to tell this to MAL since [this manga] is a direct sequel of the original manga but listed as a spin-off in MAL.
Coronavirus.
Dec 6, 2017 9:47 AM
Mar 2015
Thanks for the summary I do not know if TDx will scanalate this since it is only in BELove and BeLove online. TDX owned the light novel version of the middle school years from which this manga is drawn but never translated it. There used to be a couple of translations of volume1 of the light novel but they have disappeared

The manga does incorporate certain part of the light novel but it deleted certain characters from Chihaya's chapters and made it all about Michiru Not that that is bad since Michirus is Chihaya's savior in middle school , it just changes the reason for Chihaya's trial with the track team and changes her relation to the track team members.

I like that they kept Taichi's problem with being No.1. Mrs Pressure did tell him that if he could not be No. 1 he should not play. They have expanded his interaction with Chihaya In the LN when Tacihi leaves after beating her in the tournament and tellin her he is quitting karuta it is the beginning of her isolation and forces her out of karuta since there is no one for her to play
Dec 6, 2017 12:11 PM

Nov 2007
landofthekwt said:
Thanks for the summary I do not know if TDx will scanalate this since it is only in BELove and BeLove online. TDX owned the light novel version of the middle school years from which this manga is drawn but never translated it. There used to be a couple of translations of volume1 of the light novel but they have disappeared

The manga does incorporate certain part of the light novel but it deleted certain characters from Chihaya's chapters and made it all about Michiru Not that that is bad since Michirus is Chihaya's savior in middle school , it just changes the reason for Chihaya's trial with the track team and changes her relation to the track team members.

I like that they kept Taichi's problem with being No.1. Mrs Pressure did tell him that if he could not be No. 1 he should not play. They have expanded his interaction with Chihaya In the LN when Tacihi leaves after beating her in the tournament and tellin her he is quitting karuta it is the beginning of her isolation and forces her out of karuta since there is no one for her to play

You are welcome. Well, that's gonna be a shame because the manga is shaping up nicely so I hope someone translates it for the fans. The fact that Suetsugu Yuki-sensei is also involved with how the story is ought to evolve makes it such a fantastic addition to Chihayafuru. Who knows, maybe when it comes out as a volume someone will pick it up.

The characters so far are so like the ones we see in the original manga (Chihaya, Taichi, Michiru, Taichi's mother and of course Harada-sensei) that it doesn't feel like it's written by a different author. Also the drawing is really consistent and the facial expressions are just like the original manga, including how the panels are selected.

Good to read your comparison with the LN as well, so I can understand what was in the LN. I wonder if the next chapter is gonna roll forward to the present time in the manga (where Taichi left) or explore more into his situation.

Taichi's mom makes me so frustrated. There are mothers like her IRL I know myself. I think my favourite mother character in the original manga is Kana-chan's mother. But if I were to pick a favourite mother figure (beyond being actually a mother), it would be Sakurazawa-sensei. Although she is meant to be an Onee-san type character, there's something about her that makes me want to respect her, admire her and listen to what she has to say. And she gives off a sense of a mother figure to me.

Btw, I don't know how much Hirai-kun will be involved in the story. I always thought Taichi never became second in his entire life in academics until Hirai-kun is introduced. I wonder if he is also in the LN.
Coronavirus.
May 30, 2020 3:03 AM

Jul 2012
@landofthekwt @saki88
I'm planning to scanlate this in the future. Look out on Mangadex!
Jun 4, 2020 10:28 PM

Jul 2012
A Taichi-focused chapter. It was very good. Really sad to see him get discouraged by everything in his life including soccer and karuta. Next chapter is still about him so I'm hoping for a conclusion to his story.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Chihayafuru: Chuugakusei-hen Chapter 18 Discussion

LastLuminescence - Jul 30, 2022

1 by Abyque »»
Nov 7, 2022 10:47 PM

Poll: » Chihayafuru: Chuugakusei-hen Chapter 17 Discussion

LastLuminescence - Jul 29, 2022

0 by LastLuminescence »»
Jul 29, 2022 6:04 PM

Poll: » Chihayafuru: Chuugakusei-hen Chapter 1 Discussion

shanimebib - Oct 15, 2017

8 by LastLuminescence »»
Sep 12, 2021 8:53 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru: Chuugakusei-hen Chapter 14 Discussion

LastLuminescence - Feb 1, 2021

0 by LastLuminescence »»
Feb 1, 2021 7:59 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru: Chuugakusei-hen Chapter 5 Discussion

Mayuka - Jun 14, 2020

0 by Mayuka »»
Jun 14, 2020 12:17 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.