Forum Settings
Forums
New
How would you rate this anime?
Oct 15, 2017 3:10 PM

Mar 2010
Spotlight Anime: Romeo no Aoi Sora

MAL Series Information Page: Romeo no Aoi Sora

MAL Score - 8.44 (scored by 7,064 users)
Ranked - #145
Popularity - #2507

For the next week I would like to have a discussion about the series that focuses on the key elements that we here on MAL use to critically rate an anime: Animation, Sound, Characters, Story, and Enjoyment.

I would like everyone to approach this thread as if you were going to write a review and structure your initial post like this:

Animation - insert rating
Sound - insert rating
Characters - insert rating
Story - insert rating
Enjoyment - insert rating

Animation - discuss any pros and cons of the animation styling used in the series, try to include some specifics.

Sound - describe any of the things you liked or didn't care for in regards to the music and sound effects used in the series

etc...

If you are having trouble writing up a review or coming up with specific pro's and cons, please don't worry. Just do the best you can with it and if you can only write two or three sentences about any of the 5 elements then that's OK. Not everyone here is currently at a level which will allow them to articulate their thoughts and opinions.

After your initial post is made you can feel free to civilly discuss issues of contention. I am sure there will be many opinions expressed here that some of us will disagree upon and criticize and it is for that reason that this entire club exists. So I hope everyone has fun and I am really looking forward to watching this discussion unfold.

You Decide results:

Romeo no Aoi Sora (Anime) (29/10/17)
- Yes: 6
- No: 1
- I haven't watched this anime: 51
~ Abstained: 0

- 86%
LindleMar 3, 2018 6:06 PM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Oct 22, 2017 6:56 PM

Mar 2013
As most of the series from the World Masterpiece Theater, Romeo no Aoi Sora (Eng: Romeo and the Black Brothers) is also an adaptation of a famous classical children’s book, “Die schwarzen Brüder.” It came out in the winter of 1995 when this particular TV staple was on its final years, when there was a resurge of interest in mecha anime, and when psychological and heavy action-centered anime were more popular than ever. Romeo no Aoi Sora seems almost obscure in the midst of all that and it’s very easy to overlook it today due to its rather ordinary and straightforward premise like other WMP works, often snubbed as merely “a children’s show.” And that is quite a bit of a shame since it is a fantastic coming of age and slice of life anime series that has aged well and can certainly still be appreciated regardless of who and how old you are.

Story and Execution – 8/10: It’s a story of a young boy who was forced to sell himself as a chimney sweep in Milan during the 19th century. The show depicts his struggles and triumphs as he attempts to overcome the cruelty of the world, protect the ones important to him, and somehow still pursue his dreams as he gain and lose allies along the way. Romeo no Aoi Sora is both a slice of life and an adventure series. While the setting seems mundane, there are exciting little adventures incorporated as we follow him and his friends.

While the story isn’t particularly groundbreaking nor unique, there is a pretty solid portrayal of the themes it touches upon – bonds, friendship, hardship, tragedy, hope. It also conveys a subject that is highly relevant to its targeted audience: the importance of education. Of course, this show isn’t without flaws. There were some situations where they seemed a little bit exaggerated for full dramatic effect, at times too cruel, and the pacing felt rushed in the last few episodes.

Characters – 8/10: The characters are pretty straightforward with both flaws and merits. They are sympathetic and aren’t particularly complex, but they do have their own charms. The antagonists are pretty one-dimensional and can be described as classically evil. That said, the most compelling aspect of the show is the protagonists’ character dynamics and their relationships with each other. Amidst all the superficial and fan-pandering character connections we see in a lot of anime today, Romeo no Aoi Sora portrays such in a sincere, touching, and inspiring way.

Animation and Sound – 7/10: Sure, the visuals and sound can barely compare to modern animation and certainly not to any Ghibli films (in which works from the WMP are sometimes likened to). However, it looks good for the time of its production and seems to have aged well. I rewatched it not too long ago and I was impressed by how nice it still looks even though you can tell that it’s pretty old.

Enjoyment – 8/10: Watching it again more than a decade later, I’m reminded why this show is special. Even amongst all the good anime of the same genre I’ve seen over the years, Romeo no Aoi Sora is one of the very few that still stands out. Despite some of its flaws, it was created with a lot of heart and has a good message to send.

Overall: 8/10

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The End of Critics and Connoisseurs

HiroM_ - Dec 31, 2022

31 by danz »»
Nov 10, 2023 1:08 AM

» Challenge You Decide: Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion (Anime) (1/1)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

44 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» You Decide: Golden Kamuy 2nd Season (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

42 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» Resurrected You Decide: Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

47 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:09 PM

» Blue N Rescue Mission: Eikoku Koi Monogatari Emma (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

24 by Dramaddict »»
Dec 28, 2022 6:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.