Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Sep 7, 2017 3:50 AM

Jun 2016
Well obviously I know why this show wasn't dubbed, because Funimation are dicks who only dub the popular anime, instead of the good anime. But still ...

This is like the ideal anime to dub. It's pace is so fast that I often can't keep up with the subtitles (Not to mention to on-screen signs), plus it's a comedy anime (Which inherently benefits from being dubbed), and if it were to get a dub, it'd get a boost in popularity too (Which it by all accounts needs). The only reason against a dub is that the voice actors I believe sung the OP and ED (I'll need to double check though, and it doesn't matter anyway).

GOD DAMN IT, THE DUB IS OF DIED SO HAJIMETE NO GAL COULD BE DUBBED. WHY DOES LIFE HAVE TO SUCK.

KONBINI KARESHI WAS DUBBED, AND THAT HAD THE MOST LACKLUSTER ANIMATION, WHICH I DIDN'T CARE ABOUT BECAUSE I WAS READING THE SUBTITLES. MAHOUJIN GURUGURU DUB DIES SO WE COULD APPRECIATE THE VISUALS OF THAT SHOW.

IT DIED FOR THE REFLECTION DUB, WHICH BY ALL I'VE HEARD IS BASICALLY X-MEN MOVIE BUT ANIMATED (Bringing nothing interesting as a result from the medium)

AND LETS NOT FORGET "IN ANOTHER WORLD WITH MY SMARTPHONE", "A CENTAURS LIFE" and "18if".
Tenderizer79Sep 7, 2017 3:54 AM
Sep 16, 2017 12:42 PM

Apr 2008
I can't tell if your serious or not. I mean just because some other shows were chosen to be licensed & dubbed by a company doesn't mean it prevented Guru from being dubbed. The truth is this kind of anime is just not popular in the west, they're turned off by the "childish animation", toilet humor & Japanese puns and easily write it off.
I'm not even sure there will be a blu-ray release in the west at all. A company will have to take a risk and I wouldn't put money on it.
Sep 16, 2017 12:56 PM

Jan 2017
The show isn't popular enough to get a dub. It's not very complicated.
Sep 16, 2017 1:01 PM
Jan 2010
It's just not popular enough I guess. People barely seem aware it exists, sadly.
Sep 16, 2017 2:21 PM

Jul 2016
The plot is simple enough that you don't need to agonize over the subtitles. Worst case scenario you'll miss a side joke about sexy grandpa. Wouldn't hold out hold out much hope for a dub if western fans show a low interest in it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 16, 2017 2:36 PM

Sep 2009
Round up some youtube hobos and fandub it.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Sep 16, 2017 4:53 PM

Jan 2010
Cleaned Thread

But yeah...uh...that happened. If there is some sort of personal issue, please take 'em to personal messages to avoid derailing threads.
Sep 16, 2017 5:46 PM

Jun 2016
Cyborg_Icarus29 said:
They dubbed, what I believe is called, Hina Logi: From Luck and Logic", which is even less popular (When measured by the number of people still watching it) than this.
Sep 16, 2017 6:31 PM

Apr 2008
Tenderizer17 said:
Cyborg_Icarus29 said:
They dubbed, what I believe is called, Hina Logi: From Luck and Logic", which is even less popular (When measured by the number of people still watching it) than this.

What number are you looking at?

Anyway the thing is when they do a broadcast dub they obviously don't know how the show will turn out, they can only gamble and assume it will find an audience. Regardless if that show did well or not it does make sense why they would choose something like that and not Guru. As sad as it is a standard moe/sexy fantasy action is something that can do well in the west. Guru is not your standard anime that appeals to the typical anime fan in west. Most would probably choose sexy action anime girls over the chibi looking weird comedy of Guru.

Now I don't think its completely out of the question that this will be released on blu-ray and dubbed. It could happen someday but I can't really expect companies have high priority on it.
Sep 17, 2017 8:42 AM

Jan 2017
Tenderizer17 said:
Cyborg_Icarus29 said:

Read levo's comment and you will get your answer. Anyway why are you complaining here, go and email Funimation about this. We can't really help you here.
Sep 17, 2017 2:56 PM

Jun 2016
Cyborg_Icarus29 said:
Tenderizer17 said:

Read levo's comment and you will get your answer. Anyway why are you complaining here, go and email Funimation about this. We can't really help you here.
I did, writing a well thought out email criticizing their methods and the results of the methods for their decisions related to dubbing.
Sep 17, 2017 3:37 PM

Jan 2017
Tenderizer17 said:
Cyborg_Icarus29 said:

I did, writing a well thought out email criticizing their methods and the results of the methods for their decisions related to dubbing.

That's good. More people should actually contact them instead of raging on the Internet and saying "ALL DUBZ ARE BAD"
Sep 17, 2017 11:50 PM

Jun 2016
Cyborg_Icarus29 said:
Tenderizer17 said:

That's good. More people should actually contact them instead of raging on the Internet and saying "ALL DUBZ ARE BAD"
Well, there is room for improvement and it'd definitely be of benefit to the viewer if the voice acting was better. I watch about 2/3 of shows that are dubbed, as dubs because dubs are the purest way to enjoy a show.
Sep 18, 2017 5:49 AM
Aug 2012
dub only chad vs raw watching virgin meme when
Sep 18, 2017 12:23 PM

Jan 2017
Tenderizer17 said:
Cyborg_Icarus29 said:

Well, there is room for improvement and it'd definitely be of benefit to the viewer if the voice acting was better. I watch about 2/3 of shows that are dubbed, as dubs because dubs are the purest way to enjoy a show.

purest? lol i completely disagree. you will miss a lot of good shows and movies if you only watch dubs.
Sep 18, 2017 11:34 PM

Jun 2016
Cyborg_Icarus29 said:
Tenderizer17 said:

purest? lol i completely disagree. you will miss a lot of good shows and movies if you only watch dubs.
I said that even some dubbed shows I watch subbed (Because some dubs are insufferable, and some subs have transcendentally good voice acting). Subs are great, tolerable dubs are equally great, great dubs are amazing (Even though great dubs are few and far between).

The objectively purest way to watch anime is to watch good dubs dubbed, watch bad dubs subbed, watch incredibly subs subbed (as long as the dub isn't equally awesome) and watch mediocre subs dubbed (as long as the dubs aren't torturous)
Sep 19, 2017 7:31 AM

Jan 2017
Tenderizer17 said:
Cyborg_Icarus29 said:

I said that even some dubbed shows I watch subbed (Because some dubs are insufferable, and some subs have transcendentally good voice acting). Subs are great, tolerable dubs are equally great, great dubs are amazing (Even though great dubs are few and far between).

The objectively purest way to watch anime is to watch good dubs dubbed, watch bad dubs subbed, watch incredibly subs subbed (as long as the dub isn't equally awesome) and watch mediocre subs dubbed (as long as the dubs aren't torturous)

well, i disagree again. there is no "objective" way to watch a show. it's all subjective.
Sep 19, 2017 8:52 PM

Dec 2016
^ true.

Well, IMHO. myself prefer the original so I more prefer literal subs then localize / dub. Since the good subs or in ts case good dubs is rarely and dying nowdays, If you like to watch anime so much why don't just start learning Japanese yourself? It's good for your enjoyment when watch anime and also could be a + for your CV. Since dubs cost a lot more money then subs, maybe they just want to avoid risk of failing. With many animes is made each season there is no way every anime will get subbed / dubbed. So either keep email-ing the company to subbed / dubbed it (gambling for chance) or just learn JP ( the only way without waiting for uncertainty).
HiddenArmySep 19, 2017 8:59 PM
Sep 20, 2017 3:14 AM
Jul 2011
Well, maybe there is a subjective way to enjoy a show, but listening to the original voice acting is definitely more objective way to judge it. Even more so if are familiar with japanese pronunciations, intonations and theatrical voice conventions. Not necessarily by knowing the language, just watching all the anime with original dub. You will recognize easily the emotions, the subtle nuances, the regional dialects, the different trends in voice acting ect.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahoujin Guruguru (2017) Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 8, 2017

16 by Petro42 »»
Apr 7, 9:09 PM

Poll: » Mahoujin Guruguru (2017) Episode 2 Discussion

Stark700 - Jul 18, 2017

27 by Petro42 »»
Apr 6, 9:44 PM

Poll: » Mahoujin Guru Guru (2017) Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 11, 2017

65 by Petro42 »»
Apr 6, 9:04 PM

» Why is nobody talking about this show?

ImmovableBocchi - Jul 20, 2019

10 by amlg »»
Jan 17, 5:17 PM

Poll: » Mahoujin Guruguru (2017) Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 12, 2017

10 by KiraraFan »»
Dec 14, 2023 12:29 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.