Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 27, 2017 12:46 PM

Jan 2017
i've been thinking about this question for some time now. the widespread notion is that everyone should chase happiness. "don't be sad, be happy." i would like to challenge this.

happiness to me creates this illusion. a temporary sensation that deceives my consciousness into thinking that everything will be okay.

lately, when bouts of depression occur, i feel a sense of reality. i find this reality to be more comforting. nothing is to be expected, so i am not being giddied up then resulting to be disappointed. i also have a sense of clarity in my thinking. no longer are my thoughts controlled by passionate emotions.

furthermore, i believe this mood also creates a resilient mind. when you are experiencing it, you are going through some sort of suffering. after it, don't you feel that you've gained something from this experience?

great works have stemmed from depression, take NGE for example.

thoughts?
p0ckyyAug 27, 2017 1:33 PM
Aug 27, 2017 12:59 PM

Apr 2017
happiness is no more illusionary than depression

its just that, in this world of suffering, depression can feel closer to the 'truth'
イカロス --I K A R O S D E S U-- "Hai master" <3cruise

Becoming the bell of my heart
dont click here, baka -->> https://soundcloud.com/franciscan-guitar
Aug 27, 2017 1:13 PM

Mar 2014
How do you define "happiness"?
Happiness for me is if I die without any regrets.
I think happiness was underrated in modern society though. Nowadays, happiness always define as a condition where someone could do and have anything they want. When human has a freedom to do anything and everything without any limits, that is the definition of happiness in modern perspective.
Human forget that life itself has its hierarchy that we can't free ourselves from. Believe me, I have tried to be the one who want to break this hierarchy before but no matter what I did, nothing could changed this situation. That's why we depressed. We want freedom but if we try to free ourselves from this life's hierarchy, we might not feel alive anymore.
So my conclusion, happiness isn't overrated, it's underrated.
Aug 27, 2017 1:18 PM

Nov 2013
Happiness is the highest point of our positve emotions, depression is the lowest point of the negative side. To disregard happiness is to disregard a whole side to our emotions. Staying neutral is okay I guess, but it isn't genuine, it's natural to feel happy at times and also it's natural to feel depressed at times. Those happy moments is what make life worth living, while we learn and grow from the times when we were depressed.
Aug 27, 2017 1:29 PM

May 2013
Hmmm actually happiness IS overrated because people act like you have to make six figures and have a wife and kids to be happy.

In fact even a poor man can be happy... it comes from within. You should be thankful for it like you're thankful for food and water, it can't be priced high or low.
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Aug 27, 2017 1:31 PM

Jan 2014
Well, nothing is permanent. Angery reacts only.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Aug 27, 2017 1:48 PM
Jul 2018
Pseudo_Nym said:
How do you define "happiness"?
Happiness for me is if I die without any regrets.
I think happiness was underrated in modern society though. Nowadays, happiness always define as a condition where someone could do and have anything they want. When human has a freedom to do anything and everything without any limits, that is the definition of happiness in modern perspective.
Human forget that life itself has its hierarchy that we can't free ourselves from. Believe me, I have tried to be the one who want to break this hierarchy before but no matter what I did, nothing could changed this situation. That's why we depressed. We want freedom but if we try to free ourselves from this life's hierarchy, we might not feel alive anymore.
So my conclusion, happiness isn't overrated, it's underrated.

Well, I think short-termed happiness is overrated sometimes, because easier to achieve with fast food, games etc... and feed your reward system, and long-termed is underrated, because it can be hard to build a life you are content with.
Aug 27, 2017 1:58 PM
May 2017
I believe it is not everyone must chase happiness; it is natural for human beings to prefer happiness over sadness. Both happiness and sadness are temporary, as nothing during life is permanent. Everything in life is correct no matter if good or bad, as past actions plus some randomness produces the present; if not, life would be wrong. Wise people learn with both happy and sad moments, as there is always something to learn.

Great artworks, as 'Neon Genesis Evangelion', comes from creativity and the willing to produce something to make people think about their own lives, not from depression, even if depression is used as a source material.
Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
Aug 27, 2017 2:08 PM

Jan 2009
too much of anything is bad

but being content/satisfied with life sure is better than too much pain and worrying

there is also this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-acceptance like accepting your limitations
Aug 27, 2017 2:08 PM
serendipity

Oct 2015
t b h feels good to be emotionless 24/8

✁✃✁✃✁✃✁✃✁
i'll be a
bad girl who's
always good to her
boy
✁✃✁✃✁✃✁✃✁
Aug 27, 2017 3:49 PM
Jul 2018
psycho said:
t b h feels good to be emotionless 24/8

I'VE
BECOME SO NUMB
I CAN'T FEEL YOU THERE
BECOME SO TIRED
SO MUCH MORE AWARE
Aug 27, 2017 5:32 PM

Aug 2017
Just as the opinion of sheep doesn't matter to a wolf, so the opinion of happy people doesn't matter to me.
Aug 28, 2017 1:54 AM

Jul 2016

Apparently MAL still needs me to type something to satisfy the character limit so here's some space filler
Aug 28, 2017 2:56 AM

Feb 2015
I think what's overrated than happiness would be Kimi no Na Wa :/
Aug 28, 2017 3:52 AM

Apr 2013
Not any more than sadness.

Maybe try not living by this criteria, choose something that you do endorse.
Aug 28, 2017 4:59 AM

Jul 2017
I don't think so? Happiness isn't exactly something that can be labelled one way or another, so calling it overrated isn't really fair. Happiness is different for everyone. For instance, I feel a little happy when I reflect on the fact that we're all here and can talk about happiness, that in and of itself is a marvel to me, and I don't think that's overrated. But if someone told me their idea of happiness was a white picket fence and a nuclear family, I'd be more inclined to think that sort of happiness is overrated, although I still don't because like I said, everyone has a different form of happiness that they're chasing.

Actually scratch that, this is happiness:
Aug 28, 2017 5:47 AM

Jun 2010
I don't think one can truly appreciate joy without having already experienced hardship and sorrow, if that's what you're referring to.

As others have pointed out, "happiness" does not and should not mean the same thing to everyone. Perhaps what brings you a sense of joy and fulfillment is having clarity of thought and a sense of resilience to overcome obstacles despite odds.
YunaAug 28, 2017 5:52 AM
Aug 28, 2017 7:20 AM

Jul 2015
If you mean happiness from the neurobiological standpoint, as in the releasing of neurochemicals which make you feel good physically and emotionally, then no it's about the greatest thing we can experience.
Aug 28, 2017 11:18 AM

May 2015
I'll have to ask you: What is the point of comfort and of a resilient mind?
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things

More topics from this board

Poll: » strawberry, chocolate or banana milk? ( 1 2 )

bobbysalmon - Apr 17

60 by vampirismsxc »»
5 minutes ago

» Are you a slow or fast typier on a computer???

DesuMaiden - Apr 19

45 by vampirismsxc »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - Apr 24

32 by duchessliz87 »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » do you hide or deny your dark side to others or society?

deg - 57 minutes ago

2 by deg »»
29 minutes ago

Poll: » Is intelligence overrated?

pludel2 - Mar 29

27 by KitsuFrost »»
52 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.