Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
May 25, 2010 2:22 AM

Jul 2009
People don't know what Otaku means?

Otaku is a Japanese term that was taken by westerners like you who think they can redefine it, have some sense of pride with it, because they're fanboys losers obsessed with Japanese stuff; as such, the word otaku sounds more appealing to them than nerd. But what an otaku is is what I described in the above post, and that's basically what it boils down to in Japan as well. I see that you learned about the hikikomori phenomenon from Welcome to the NHK. Where do you think that show got their portrayal of someone like that? From the idea of an otaku. You can use it all you want, but it's a Japanese word. As another poster said, it's not a word that you identify with in Japan unless you are insulting yourself, so the meaning more closely fits with what I described.
Every time I see an English-speaker on the Internet add an honorific to someone's name, I die a little bit inside. Every time I see, "^_^," my will to carry on crumbles that much more.
May 26, 2010 12:00 AM

May 2010
As of right now i cant say i am otaku. But last summer when i first started watching anime for real, i must have watched a few hundred episodes in a few weeks. If i knew where to start i would definitely become otaku. Its my nature in general. Find something i like or love and just run with it. And i am ok with that. As long as you don't neglect whatever responsibilities you have i say its a great thing.
May 27, 2010 11:36 AM

Feb 2010
I can't say I'm particularly fond of the of being called an otaku, due to the severe negative connotations associated with it in the original Japanese. I guess you could say I'm proud of liking anime, I'm certainly not ashamed of it.
May 27, 2010 6:27 PM

May 2009
heck yeah im proud !
May 27, 2010 9:19 PM

Jan 2010
it's fun to be an otaku =D

Member Card
Jun 1, 2010 4:52 AM

Apr 2009
Otaku 4ever...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 8, 2014 1:22 AM
Feb 2014
Same here.
stAtic91 said:
I don't think I qualify as an otaku; I don't spend any money on anime/manga related merchandise. I just love to watch anime and read manga.
I think people who spend all their money.. i Mean ALL. Are weeaboos?? Srly.. but I use anime as inspiration.. and to escape hatred in this world.. but I like collecting Amv's stuff like that but I m more into Killing games online
Feb 8, 2014 1:31 AM

May 2012
xxchaxchaxx said:
Same here.
stAtic91 said:
I don't think I qualify as an otaku; I don't spend any money on anime/manga related merchandise. I just love to watch anime and read manga.
I think people who spend all their money.. i Mean ALL. Are weeaboos?? Srly.. but I use anime as inspiration.. and to escape hatred in this world.. but I like collecting Amv's stuff like that but I m more into Killing games online

Not the best first impression.
Feb 8, 2014 1:46 AM

May 2012
I don't have any pride for it really. I just do it because I enjoy it. If others want to ridicule me for it, go ahead.
Feb 8, 2014 2:05 AM

Jan 2014
Stop trying to justify your "hobbies" when you don't have to. Why the fuck are you looking for approval? There's no fucking need to show your stuff to people. As a casual anime fan, I would find it VERY annoying too if someone were to walk up to me and show me their stash if I didn't ask for it.

Some people are bullied for reasons that cannot always be helped, such as appearance or race, but in this case, you're totally asking for it.

Stop acting like an idiot while expecting the world to accept you, or think you're open-minded, because watching anime does not make you any different from others.

ezaya said:

because being an otaku is unique, anime lovers have wider imagination than others.

Are you seriously bragging?
I MURDERED OUR ENTIRE CLAN UMAD SAUCEGAYYYYYYYYY UMAD?¿
http://foolishbrother.chatango.com/
Feb 8, 2014 2:10 AM

Dec 2013
Proud to be an otaku? Fuck that. I don't fucking care. I like to watch story-telling though animations and I like movies as well. What you called me doesn't matter. I don't get people who said they are proud to be an otaku on MAL.

It's like saying I BREATH OXYGEN! WHO'S WITH ME?

"After I finish fucking you. I am going to kill you."

Feb 8, 2014 2:19 AM
Nov 2013
I'm not an otaku, I don't even know the right meaning of this word tbh. I just watch anime and take it seriously, like I do with movies and books.
Feb 8, 2014 2:22 AM

Jan 2014
Rashkolnikov said:
I'm not an otaku, I don't even know the right meaning of this word tbh. I just watch anime and take it seriously, like I do with movies and books.

Unless you're confined to your basement, anti social/socially awkward, nasty smelling and own various body pillows of your waifu/husbando you don't have to worry about being one.
I MURDERED OUR ENTIRE CLAN UMAD SAUCEGAYYYYYYYYY UMAD?¿
http://foolishbrother.chatango.com/
Feb 8, 2014 2:23 AM

Jan 2011
I'm not an Otaku. And I don't think being Otaku is something we should be proud of.
Feb 8, 2014 2:28 AM
Nov 2013
Otouto said:
Rashkolnikov said:

Unless you're confined to your basement, anti social/socially awkward, nasty smelling and own various body pillows of your waifu/husbando you don't have to worry about being one.

Sounds like a kind of disease for me.
Feb 8, 2014 2:54 AM

Aug 2013
Why are some people even taking proud of being diseased anyway? It boggles my mind.
Feb 8, 2014 3:09 AM

Jan 2014
Well, it's indifferent to me.
It makes me feel superior? better?
Absolutely not at all. It's the reverse.
But it can't be helped, in a way I like it.
Feb 8, 2014 3:17 AM
Dec 2011
Thanks for necroing this thread.. i found really funny opinions.
Feb 8, 2014 3:17 AM

Sep 2008
So many people here who dont know what an otaku is. Lmao.

And whoever takes pride in being it needs to see therapist.

Taking pride in obsessiveness fandom, having no life, spending a majority of all your money on anime and being awkard socially is just laughable.
Feb 28, 2014 6:09 AM

Apr 2009
If you are not achieving anything, there's no reason to be proud of it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 28, 2014 6:23 AM
Jul 2018
This thread is done and old. So many people have the wrong idea on what being an otaku is. See the many incorrect statements above. Not even gonna bother trying to correct.

I am proud to be who I am. I am the otaking! I'll lead us to glory!
Feb 28, 2014 9:27 AM

Nov 2012
im proud to be Otaku,
i dont care what they said (like. your weird, having a lot of songs/japan songs in my phone/wallpapers) .

just snob/ignore them .
and Be Proud dont be depressed about they said

u should Enjoy Life :)
Feb 28, 2014 9:45 AM

Jan 2013
Otouto said:
Stop trying to justify your "hobbies" when you don't have to. Why the fuck are you looking for approval? There's no fucking need to show your stuff to people. As a casual anime fan, I would find it VERY annoying too if someone were to walk up to me and show me their stash if I didn't ask for it.

Some people are bullied for reasons that cannot always be helped, such as appearance or race, but in this case, you're totally asking for it.

Stop acting like an idiot while expecting the world to accept you, or think you're open-minded, because watching anime does not make you any different from others.

ezaya said:

because being an otaku is unique, anime lovers have wider imagination than others.

Honestly with anime yes i am very open minded but for tv shows/movies pretty damn closed minded. Il only watch comedy movies and for tv il only watch stuff that i know i will like or have seen before( Ex: spongebob, family guy, sports)
Feb 28, 2014 9:46 AM
Jan 2014
Rashkolnikov said:

Yeah pretty much this applies for me also.

ezaya said:

Since when are you unique for having an huge obsession/being a huge fan of anime ? So many people worldwide that are huge fans/Obsessed with any kind of activity from Playing games to sports to food to drawing etc etc.
Oh also, you don't have a wider imagination than "others" just because you love anime, that's plain BS.
Feb 28, 2014 10:17 AM

Dec 2011
Hm... the word otaku has been distorced over years, so which one do you consider and why ?

I consider the obsessive meaning, but I don't care tbh
Feb 28, 2014 10:45 AM
Jul 2018
xJapaliicious said:
Hm... the word otaku has been distorced over years, so which one do you consider and why ?

Obsessed fan is pretty much spot on. Something you really love/enjoy.
Feb 28, 2014 10:46 AM

Feb 2008
Otaku, lmao.

I'm normal human being with a lot of hobbies and a decent social life. I only watch anime when I can be bothered. I'm hella proud of who I am tho, watching anime is just not part of the equation.

“That which does not kill us makes us stronger.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Feb 28, 2014 10:48 AM

Jul 2012
ezaya said:
I wish we have a short skirt as a uniform

I would never describe myself as an otaku, but doesn't every guy wish for that?
Feb 28, 2014 10:48 AM

Jun 2013
I don't even consider myself otaku. I'm not obsessed with anime. I don't even like anime that much compared to other forms of entertainment.
Feb 28, 2014 11:22 AM

Aug 2013
i think it´s not bad to be an otaku. as some of you said before we are kind of unique and our fantasy might be larger than the fantasy of others :D

i also hi my anime stuff for a long time and most of my friends didn´t knew that i really love anime and manga and everything that´s related to japan. and a few years later i found out that my friends loved anime too :/

so I cared about my image while my friends were waching them too.... kinda funny I think :D

and today i don´t really care what people are say about me anymore. i´d love to wear these cute uniforms. but i´ll never get the chance unless i buy them, but that´s not the same as wearing them in school :(

i personally don´t care what my partens say to me loving anime, i just always tell them that i´m watching them with englisch subs ( personally i think german dub sucks :S). and so i told them that anime helped me to improve my english, but i don´t know if that really was the case :D but who cares i got better at school so it was okay.

and you shouldn´t let others bully you. i´d tell them of somehow like telling them you don´t care what they think or if they are laughing about you just ignore them or start laughing yourself and show them in what you are interestet in :D.

i don´t know if that´s heplful or not but you shouldn´t be down. i Think you´ll be able to manage somehow :D

i hope you get what i mean, my english is kinda crappy today T.T
Feb 28, 2014 11:23 AM

Sep 2013
I find Otaku's really annoying persons often, tbh.

And their taste in anime is usually shit.
Feb 28, 2014 11:32 AM

Aug 2013
No because I'm not an otaku. I'm proud of being an anime fan.
Feb 28, 2014 12:06 PM

Dec 2011
otaking97 said:
xJapaliicious said:

Obsessed fan is pretty much spot on. Something you really love/enjoy.
Yeah, that is the original meaning, but nowadays, the majority believes that mean "someone that like anime/manga".

I don't know if I could call myself an Otaku, because I don't spend money with it and spend more time playing than watching. Yet, almost everything I do is somehow related to Japanese culture.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

» Why are so many ecchi enjoyers overweight?

EverRealm - Yesterday

43 by yodebqzz »»
48 seconds ago

» Has anyone noticed how sequel bias is an anime only thing?

APolygons2 - 20 minutes ago

6 by APolygons2 »»
2 minutes ago

» Guys I did it!

TsutanaiFuun - 11 hours ago

23 by JessicaKari »»
4 minutes ago

» Visual Novels — General Thread ( 1 2 )

Shizuna - Yesterday

60 by -YaoiBoy- »»
6 minutes ago

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts. ( 1 2 )

Pinoffin - Apr 25

79 by Gator »»
6 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.