Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 24, 2017 2:28 PM
Oct 2013
Hey:)
My biggest issue is memorizing.
Vocabulary is fine but kanji is just so exhausting and after learning them I often forget them after a while. It is very frustrating that's why I took a break from learning japanese but holidays are coming up and I want to start learning again.
Before I took this break I focussed more on kanji and I was able to memorize about 200 kanji (It's not a lot but I'm proud of it:P) and to be honest I don't want to know how many I forgot...^-^'

So how do you guys do it? Do you learn kanji next to the grammar or do you learn them separately? Are there any other tricks?
Or is it just what it is and there is no other way than the classic one?

Thanks in advance!

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
May 26, 2018 3:13 AM

Mar 2018
I am by no means an expert, but what I try to do is make up a little silly story for each kanji. For example, take this one:

According to Jisho it means "sunshine", "daytime" and some other things. It can be pronounced hi or you. It obviously contains the components 阝, 日 and 勿.

勿 looks like some weird animal. In the kanji it is combined with a long horizontal line which makes it look as though the back of the creature's head is very long. It reminds me of the xenomorph from the Alien movies. So let's remember that this component is a xenomorph.

阝 looks like an ear.

日 is a very common kanji meaning "sun".

So I picture a xenomorph with huge elephant-like ears. It is lying in a sunny field and flapping its huge ears to shed some body heat because the sunlight is so hot. It is gasping: "Hi... you... hi... you..."

That's an example of how I try to memorize the kanji. :) This image is quite bizarre, and that is the point. A bizarre image is more memorable than a boring one.
Apr 13, 2020 5:22 AM
Apr 2013
Konnichiwa minasan!

I'm so glad that there are so many people wanting to learn Japanese :)

I had written the N5 exam a few years ago with self study and passed!

I'm now facing the daunting aspect of learning kanji. After trying different methods on and off and learning other languages, I'm finally restarting my Japanese journey.

Kanjidamage has excellent resources and I've started with their deck :)

I'd love to make friends and chat in japanese, feel free to ping me :)

Nov 26, 2023 11:54 AM

Sep 2015
There are many memorization techniques, but without exposure there is little one can do in the long run... If you want to remember kanji, you should read daily so that you will see them again and again.
can dis sig fit
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Melt, Kimi no Shiranai Monogatari - Japanese Lyrics with vocabulary translations

pdf4 - Feb 8, 2010

1 by patkarunungan »»
Apr 13, 8:15 AM

» It seems like this club is dead. Let's resurrect it!

Shiroguro - May 7, 2017

3 by patkarunungan »»
Apr 13, 2:04 AM

» What does 介 "suke" mean in names?

SpectrumDT - May 26, 2018

0 by SpectrumDT »»
May 26, 2018 2:18 AM

» This group dead?

Kaiigoroshi - May 7, 2015

5 by arief- »»
May 11, 2016 5:34 AM

Sticky: » Help with Japanese ( 1 2 3 )

removed-user - Aug 14, 2008

122 by El_Senpai »»
Jul 17, 2015 11:01 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.