Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Feb 26, 2010 6:11 AM
Aug 2009
Sharunaku said:

I think your point is the difference between "crime" and "punishment", right?

The difference between a murderer and a murderer who murders a murderer? I think there is no difference if that was what you meant.
MinimalisticFeb 26, 2010 6:20 AM
Feb 26, 2010 6:36 AM
Feb 2010
What I meant is when the case had go through the court and the convict is proven guilty then executed by the order of government is justice, while chopping a notorious murderer's head off without going through the court isn't justice

or do you think no killing can be qualfied as "justice"?

-------------------
I think everything have a level, including killing, there are rape & murder, rob & murder, random murder, planned murder, murder for fun, manslaughter
and the list go on

I just don't believe what Poirot did at the end is "nothing different from any murder"
SharunakuFeb 26, 2010 6:48 AM
Feb 26, 2010 6:47 AM
Aug 2009
Sharunaku said:

What I meant is when the case had go through the court and the convict is proven guilty then executed by the order of government is justice, while chopping a notorious murderer's head off without going through the court isn't justice

So what gives the government the right to decide who dies and who doesn't? In case of death penalty the government is simply acting like a murdering individual itself. It's pure hypocricy to say on the other hand that killing is wrong but on the other hand kill "guilty" people yourself in the name of "justice".

Sharunaku said:

I thought that I had made that clear already. Well... better late than never.
Feb 26, 2010 7:08 AM

Feb 2010
Well, in the U.S., we do use lethal injection. I don't really know why, or anything about it.

But usually, in old times (and still now), death penalties such as those are used because they don't WANT it to be quick or painless. Usually, horrendous death penalties are used to terrify people into obedience (people who see it, not those who die.) There sometimes isn't even a reason to kill someone, but they do it to get fear out of the people, and for a firmer grip of control.

Yet, in some countries, it simply is because they themselves committed a horrendous crime, and deserve a horrendous death.

I don't believe deciding things such as that is right- deciding whether or not they should die. If death needs to be executed, I believe in the humane ways to do it, but really, suffering in prison for the rest of their life is far worse than the death penalty. I think we should leave death to natural causes and punish them in prison.

Either way, what does it matter? As long as you stay good, you won't have to worry about death penalties or prison. D:
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. -Carl Sagan
Feb 26, 2010 7:56 AM

Jan 2009
Reape said:
Sharunaku said:

So what gives the government the right to decide who dies and who doesn't? In case of death penalty the government is simply acting like a murdering individual itself. It's pure hypocricy to say on the other hand that killing is wrong but on the other hand kill "guilty" people yourself in the name of "justice".

Sharunaku said:

I thought that I had made that clear already. Well... better late than never.

Why does the government not have the "right" to kill someone but they can throw someone in jail for life. I'll disagree with you there. Also I doubt we execute people the same way a murderer might. If the person is executed it's most likely through lethal injection, and rather painless. I don't think it's hypocrisy either. It would be beneficial to society as whole if we just executed those who decided they can kill people indiscreetly. I doubt we will ever come to an agreement though, because I do believe killing can be justified.

Feb 26, 2010 8:27 AM

Sep 2008
Assuming the laws and sentances reflect the views of society and that the person is found guilty fairly then it is justice :)

Personally i think they deserve the worst punishments possible, if that means death then so be it. But individually my opinion dosent matter.

Perhaps they should be put into the more dangerous/laboursome/disgusting jobs around that way they can contrubute to society still. Or they choose the death sentance willingly :)

Pay-per-view killings, reminds me of the film 'Running Man' heh :P
Feb 26, 2010 8:44 AM
Aug 2009
Gunther75 said:

Why does the government not have the "right" to kill someone but they can throw someone in jail for life.

We are talking of two compeletely different acts here... but oh well. I do not think it's exactly "right" to throw someone in jail for life either, nor that it is always necessary to do so for the rest of their lives. However I don't see much of a choice other than to cage them for a while if they are a threat to other people. If there is a better option to prevent anyone from hurting another person I'll gladly support it instead of prisons... but for now they simply seem necessary considering the other options. Death penalty on the other hand is not, and is in my opinion far too cruel and brutal...

As for pragmatic matters... jailing works better than death penalty in preventing crimes. And if it costs too much, feed them cheaper food etc...

Gunther75 said:

rather painless

It's not nearly as painless as most think it is...

Gunther75 said:

I don't think it's hypocrisy either

And I'd love to hear why not.

Gunther75 said:

It would be beneficial to society as whole if we just executed those who decided they can kill people indiscreetly.

Yes and I bet those who decided to kill people did it to gain something too, if nothing more then just pure satisfaction. So what is the difference between the indiscreetly killing murderer and systematically killing government?
MinimalisticFeb 26, 2010 10:11 AM
Feb 26, 2010 9:20 AM

Sep 2008
Reape said:
So what is the difference between the indiscreetly killing murderer and systematically killing government?

You make it sound like genocide. I dont think a murderer gives a victim a fair trial before killing them. The victim wasnt innocent till proven guilty or judged by a group of their peers. The murderer doesnt abide by the law or have support from society.

Anyway im in Australia n we dont have capital punishment, but i do think there are rare cases where it would be a better option than a lifetime of incarceration. Or perhaps like i said in my last post :) give them the dangerous jobs.

There are worse things than death :)
Feb 26, 2010 10:28 AM

Apr 2009
Asako said:
I'm not entirely sure why people stress "humane" killings so much. These people have committed crimes so heinous that they're being offed for it, so why should we make it as comfortable and quick as possible? If it's a bit messy and painful for a few minutes, tough shit.

exactly my thoughts.
Feb 26, 2010 1:23 PM

Feb 2008
Reape said:

We are talking of two compeletely different acts here... but oh well.

Two different acts, same concept. The government having control over one's life. In the end, what gives them that right? The power they hold.

L2 Search - http://fc04.deviantart.com/fs48/f/2009/236/3/9/L2_Search_by_Siya_Akuma.jpg
We're all getting trolled by Mayans. They probably thought "Fuck this shit, let's end the calendar and say shit's gonna go down."
Feb 26, 2010 1:43 PM

Dec 2009
Fuck that man, why not turn the death penalty in a way to gain some revenue. Have the family of the victim pay to beat and torture the perp to death.
The methods we use now are too humane, it makes their death too easy. It's not fair at all, they brutally murder someone and then they get to go off with a series of injections which of the first they paralyze them so they can't feel any pain, and then the rest is as peaceful as them going to sleep.
You know that they actually have services in China where someone very wealthy can just pay to kill a stranger? Imagine how much more people would pay to kill someone they truly hated. If there are no takers then the man is put out on the market and anyone with the urge to kill can pay and have their urge pacified through this method. Of course there is always the possibility of the man/woman enjoying it so much that they go out to slaughter, but at least now the police know who to suspect.
Feb 26, 2010 2:14 PM

Sep 2008
I remebr hearign abot how a sharp katan sword could lob off a head so fast the person is dead before thier head hit the ground, why not that? Few seconds of pain is nothign compared to that which they caused thier victims. And as the sayign goes "It is is easy to die, it is hadrer to live" they are gettign off easy.

Barign that, an overdose fo the drug that makes up botox is actualy a muslce paralyzer, and if injected into the blood stream would compley parly while leaveing the mind intact and able to feel pain and hthink, you then slide them into water and they would either breath in the water and die or drwon tryign not to breathe it in, either way, besides the terror had while dieing liek that which if oyu ask me is fittign there is litte to no pain to be expinced.

Simple, and probely cost effective.

Feb 26, 2010 3:51 PM

Feb 2008
Maho-shonen said:
I remebr hearign abot how a sharp katan sword could lob off a head so fast the person is dead before thier head hit the ground, why not that? Few seconds of pain is nothign compared to that which they caused thier victims.

I'm pretty sure the mind remains conscious for about 15-20 seconds after decapitation, and with all the adrenaline, those seconds could seem like minutes.

L2 Search - http://fc04.deviantart.com/fs48/f/2009/236/3/9/L2_Search_by_Siya_Akuma.jpg
We're all getting trolled by Mayans. They probably thought "Fuck this shit, let's end the calendar and say shit's gonna go down."
Feb 26, 2010 5:27 PM
Feb 2010
I think the best way to end a person's life (or mind actually) is have a shotgun in his mouth, although it will be messy, it will be swift and painless, no part of the brain can possibly be alive and sense anything
------
>Reape

I think everything have a level, including killing, there are rape & murder, rob & murder, random murder, planned murder, murder for fun, manslaughter
and the list go on

I just don't believe what Poirot did at the end is "nothing different from any other murder"
Feb 26, 2010 6:22 PM

Aug 2009
Boo hoo. If these people deserve the death penalty, then they deserve whatever they get. If they get their last meal, then that's enough for them. There's a reason why I dislike the eighth amendment.

daddysgirl said:
Fuck that man, why not turn the death penalty in a way to gain some revenue. Have the family of the victim pay to beat and torture the perp to death.

I like the way you think. And, again, the stupid eighth amendment gets in the way. -_-
ycart59Feb 26, 2010 6:47 PM
Feb 26, 2010 6:38 PM

Jun 2009
push them off a cliff, shoot them or whatever method is cheapest who the fuck cares about not causing pain we are killing them for god sake. It doesn't make any logical sense just fucking kill them. I think pain is the least of your concern when you know your going to die. We don't need to waste our tax dollars trying to make a murderer, rapist, or child molester die a painless death.
Mar 7, 2010 4:02 AM
Nov 2009
How awful :( Isn't anyone else here against capital punishemnt? Killing a murderer won't bring their victims back. Why not just lock them away, or offer to kill them if they would prefer? Either way, they will not kill anyone else. Problem solved.

:) ♥
Mar 7, 2010 4:48 AM

May 2009
Wow, so many different yet firm opinions on this matter. I've always had conflicted feelings about this issue.

rTz said:
It isn't any secret that there is a long history of execution methods that have turned out to be not so humane:

Beheading results in several seconds of awareness before death
Gassing is intensely painful and results in burning in the lungs
Lethal injection often does not render one unconscious, causing a suffocating and burning feeling (the three drug cocktail used is quite complicated/difficult to administer)
Firing squads can miss the head, and cause a slower death by internal bleeding/organ damage

I had always thought these led to instant death. This knowledge is disturbing.

Slimda said:
-Edited-
Who mentioned torture? Torture is as bad as the Death Penalty

Are you certain the majority of the human population support the Death Penalty?

Are you saying that you can pay off someone's life? Would you be happy if your parents were executed wrongly, then you got money back with a little note saying "sorry"? I know I wouldn't.
I mentioned "god", not as in a christian deity, but an idea. Feel free to say "ultimate ruler of life" instead of "God" if it helps get the idea across. Why are we allowed to decide on somebody elses life? Who says we can give or take life away?

No, robbery doesn't give the Death Penalty. But I believe you're wrong on this point. Most people have hard times, yes, but some people have it extra hard, or lack the "training" or friends/family to come through it with both feet planted on the ground. A guy doesn't run into a school and shoot children just because he thought it would be fun. It's most likely a reason to it, like revenge or a mental delusion. If they are mentally ill, they require aid and support in order to break free from their hellish mental prison.

Do you have proof of this statement? Here in Norway, we have an extremely low percentage of people who commit crimes again. Once they've done the crime and served their time, they're usually done. Norway also has a maximum of 21 years in prison (14 if you behave good). Despite of this, most individuals that get help and counceling turn to a life of work and productivity instead of crime.

Capital punishment is like saying "You killed someone, so now we kill you". Putting someone in prison is simply protecting the victim(s) from the criminal, AND protecting the criminal from further lawbreaks. And then the work on rehabilitating the criminal can begin.

Of course, there ARE hopeless cases, but even those can be used for something. The prison can keep them there for life, while they work for their food and lodgings making something benefitial for society.

You just made my day. I'm such a misanthrope, and I'd like to think I'm not very impressionable, but reading your POV just made me really happy.

Not quite the place for this maybe, but people who feel like all murderers deserve the death penalty should read Watashitachi no Shiawase na Jikan. Yes, I know it's fiction, but I'm sure there are such cases in real life, too. It's a short and excellent read, and it just shows how painful it can be.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.