Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 26, 2017 2:30 PM

Apr 2009
It has been bugging me ever since the start of Roku because I swear Taki and Co. weren't able to do so in prior seasons. I know the Natsume manga is adapted out of order at times, but this seems like quite a big change to present in an anachronistic way - if such a thing even happens in the manga.

In any case, it is indicating an unusually sloppy execution of an aspect in a series I always enjoyed because of its consistent quality.

Answers would be appreciated, thanks in advance.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Apr 26, 2017 4:02 PM
Jun 2011
Nidhoeggr said:
It has been bugging me ever since the start of Roku because I swear Taki and Co. weren't able to do so in prior seasons. I know the Natsume manga is adapted out of order at times, but this seems like quite a big change to present in an anachronistic way - if such a thing even happens in the manga.

In any case, it is indicating an unusually sloppy execution of an aspect in a series I always enjoyed because of its consistent quality.

Answers would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Pretty sure just about anyone can understand him, he just acts like a cat around anyone who shouldn't hear his voice. He talks to Tanuma just about the first time they meet, and he talks to Taki during her first arc while Natsume is in the cave.

EDIT: I have not watched episode 2 and 3 yet so unsure who exactly "Co" refers to but I assumed Tanuma.
Apr 26, 2017 4:19 PM

Jan 2014
like Gold said anybody can hear Nyanko, episode 3 of the 6th season just did it at the end of the episode where he accidentally talks and someone who can't see Youkai heard him talk and freaked out

Apr 26, 2017 7:43 PM
Oct 2016
Tanuma and taki could always understand him. To everybody who doesnt have spiritual potential his talking just sounds like meowing. I know for a fact, because I've been binge watching the first 5 seasons for the past day and a half and he has yelled at natsume's muggle friends a couple times and they couldn't understand him.
Apr 27, 2017 1:15 AM

Jun 2015
the_wonderworks said:
Tanuma and taki could always understand him. To everybody who doesnt have spiritual potential his talking just sounds like meowing. I know for a fact, because I've been binge watching the first 5 seasons for the past day and a half and he has yelled at natsume's muggle friends a couple times and they couldn't understand him.

I don't think so. In the recent episode, Natsume's old friend Shibata was shocked when by mistake nyanko sensei talked.
Apr 27, 2017 4:32 AM
Oct 2016
xadon said:
the_wonderworks said:

I don't think so. In the recent episode, Natsume's old friend Shibata was shocked when by mistake nyanko sensei talked.

Are you talking about episode 29(S3E3)? BC if so, why are you making this up? To what end? Its not a new episode, they're not old friends, and nothing like that happened in the whole episode. I double checked just now to make sure.
Apr 27, 2017 5:02 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
the_wonderworks said:
xadon said:

Are you talking about episode 29(S3E3)? BC if so, why are you making this up? To what end? Its not a new episode, they're not old friends, and nothing like that happened in the whole episode. I double checked just now to make sure.

No, the last episode that aired this week, shibata was back and it happened at the end of this episode.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Apr 27, 2017 5:13 AM

May 2010
I think it depends on the ayakashi's power too. Shibata could see the spirit tree, but couldn't see the twin dolls... I don't remember if that's because he was allowed to see by the spirit tree or not. Nyanko-sensei could be seen by everybody. Shouldn't his voice be heard by everybody too?
Apr 27, 2017 6:14 AM
Oct 2016
petalshreds said:
I think it depends on the ayakashi's power too. Shibata could see the spirit tree, but couldn't see the twin dolls... I don't remember if that's because he was allowed to see by the spirit tree or not. Nyanko-sensei could be seen by everybody. Shouldn't his voice be heard by everybody too?

Yea, he was allowed to see the spirit tree. Many strong (or divine idk which) and beast yokai can change to a human form. While nyonko-sensei is in cat form, he sounds like a cat to most ppl (during seasons 1-5).
There was special episode during season 5 where 2 kids could understand him, but not see other yokai. They were related though (bro and sis) so they may have that potential in their bloodline, IDK. Or could be BC they're kids. Surprised Nyanko though. IDK what all goes on in the new season. I just started it.
Apr 27, 2017 10:29 AM

Apr 2009
Weird, I always thought Nyanko talking to other humans with low spirit power was made possible to an extent due to him changing into human form. Anyway, thanks for your answers.
Apr 27, 2017 11:24 AM

Mar 2011
I don't think humans power is that important. It's only that Nyanko-sensei is strong enought to be seen by people and heard, too. Remember that episode when he changed to Natsume? Or when he took a Reiko's form? Other people could see and understand him, too. He is just taking a cat form because he likes it. But Natsume warned him many times to not talk around other humans. I think everyone can understand him pretty well. That is also why he never speak with Natsume when Fujiwara pair is around. He is usually only pretending to be a normal cat.
Apr 27, 2017 11:38 AM

Apr 2009
Clarian said:
I don't think humans power is that important. It's only that Nyanko-sensei is strong enought to be seen by people and heard, too. Remember that episode when he changed to Natsume? Or when he took a Reiko's form? Other people could see and understand him, too. He is just taking a cat form because he likes it. But Natsume warned him many times to not talk around other humans. I think everyone can understand him pretty well. That is also why he never speak with Natsume when Fujiwara pair is around. He is usually only pretending to be a normal cat.

Hm, maybe you are right. But I am pretty sure children are more receptive to yokai as well.

Maybe I am just getting senile but I was udner the impression that the ability to talk and the ability of humans to understand yokai are completely unrelated.
Apr 27, 2017 2:15 PM

Apr 2012
I'm pretty certain that Natsumes friends have been around Nyanko when he was talking for a lot of times in past seasons and never reacted. Be that because they where just trolling Nyanko by pretending to not understand him or because they actually didnt :D.

But now in S6 all of a sudden in 2 out of 3 episodes 3 different human beings understand Nyanko. Which is just weird.
Apr 27, 2017 2:41 PM

Mar 2011
baki502 said:
I'm pretty certain that Natsumes friends have been around Nyanko when he was talking for a lot of times in past seasons and never reacted. Be that because they where just trolling Nyanko by pretending to not understand him or because they actually didnt :D.

But now in S6 all of a sudden in 2 out of 3 episodes 3 different human beings understand Nyanko. Which is just weird.
Did you even really watch it? They were really surprised at first, too. Both Taki and Takuma. Because they now know that Natsume can see youkai and that Nyanko-sensei is not a normal cat, he is talking to them normally. And he did so in previous seasons too.
Apr 27, 2017 2:53 PM

Apr 2012
Clarian said:
baki502 said:

Did you even really watch it? They were really surprised at first, too. Both Taki and Takuma. Because they now know that Natsume can see youkai and that Nyanko-sensei is not a normal cat, he is talking to them normally. And he did so in previous seasons too.

Yeah I did watch it except the specials. Care to tell me on what episode they clearly understand what Nyanko is saying? I know they are aware of Nyanko being a yokai but like actually understanding his words. I think I remember some episodes where Nyanko was trying to sign language them more or less but never straight up talking to them. In cat form that is.
Apr 27, 2017 3:06 PM

Mar 2011
baki502 said:
Clarian said:

Yeah I did watch it except the specials. Care to tell me on what episode they clearly understand what Nyanko is saying? I know they are aware of Nyanko being a yokai but like actually understanding his words. I think I remember some episodes where Nyanko was trying to sign language them more or less but never straight up talking to them. In cat form that is.
Even without having to really think or search... What about when Tanuma asks Nyanko-sensei if Natsume is always having such problems with youkai? Or something more concrete: When Natsune was sealed in a glass bottle and Nyanko-sensei explained the situation? Season 4, episode 6-7. And that is only one of many cases.
Apr 27, 2017 8:10 PM
Oct 2016
Clarian said:
baki502 said:

Even without having to really think or search... What about when Tanuma asks Nyanko-sensei if Natsume is always having such problems with youkai? Or something more concrete: When Natsune was sealed in a glass bottle and Nyanko-sensei explained the situation? Season 4, episode 6-7. And that is only one of many cases.

Yea, as I've said. Taki and Tanuma can understand him in cat form. Other people, however, cannot. For example in season 1 episode 11, he fell in a pit with a girl. She said something that he took the wrong way, and he started yelling at her. It then cut to her perspective and he was meowing at her. There are other examples, I just don't know which episodes specifically without a great deal of research.
Another thing, earlier you said he stays as a cat most of the time because he likes it. This is not entirely true. Its a form that he's very familiar with because he was stuck as a lucky cat for so long when he was sealed. It may even be easier to maintain than other forms because yokai are very receptive. Also it allows him to blend in and stay close to natsume.
Here's something interesting that you may not have noticed while I'm at it. As I said yokai are very receptive. The show mentioned this early on when they said something about how a persons personality or emotions can rub off on a yokai if they're around a particular individual a lot. But did you notice how Nyanko's personality changes depending on what form he takes. As a cat he's more curious and mischievous. He gets exited about lightning, bugs, chases birds and frogs, he's a bit more selfish, and he loves to get petted as long as they're not too clingy or rough. He drinks, dances, and is very gluttonous.
As Reiko he has more of an attitude and is more standoffish. His comments come of as less playful and more condescending.
As a beast he is more serious and a bit more aloof. He's more confident and doesn't scare. He even seems more regal. He's more wild(he starts to lose control when matoba hits natsume with an arrow) and he likes to show off how imposing and dominant he can be (e.g. episode 39 he is playing shadow tag with natsume and natsume's dogs and becomes "it". Instead of just tagging one person he cuts loose, starts stomping on yokai left and right, and backs natsume into a tree, looming over him with his teeth showing).
the_wonderworksApr 27, 2017 8:15 PM
Apr 28, 2017 10:44 AM
Jul 2014
Nyanko Sensei is able to talk normally to other humans regardless if they have high/low spiritual powers or none at all.
The main reason he doesn't opt for talking normally to those surrounding Natsume is only because they have no idea about Natsume's ability to see/hear spirits and thus abiding by Natsume's order to act as a normal cat in front of the Fujiwaras + most of his other friends and acquaintances.
Someone above mentioned Nyanko Sensei trying to tell others about Natsume being in danger or something and the result was his attempt at talking ended up as a meowl to others, it's most likely because he wanted to grab their attention to the fact that there was something wrong, but at the same time couldn't just go and talk normally as a human to someone that thinks he's just an ordinary cat, and the fact that it was shown to the audience like he was talking normally is just the way anime/manga usually uses so the viewers/readers are understanding what's going on.
Finally,to further support what I'm saying.
There was a time when Nyanko Sensei was talking to Natsume and the moment he left, Natsume's friend (Nishimura) showed up, and after a brief conversation asked who was Natsume talking to, and that it sounded as an old man's voice.
You can check it out yourself :
Manga: Volume 13,chapter 52
Anime: Natsume Yuujinchou Go, Episode 3 "The Letter From The Exorcist"
I hope that answered your question ฅ'ω'ฅ
Apr 29, 2017 5:23 PM
Feb 2015
Everyone can always understand Nyanko Sensei when he talks. Just that Nyanko sensei never talks in front of anyone other than Natsume (I think because Natsume told him not to. I haven't read the manga btw and I don't remember if Natsume ever told Sensei not to speak in front of people).

Nyanko sensei can talk to Tanuma normally since episode 13 season 1 (I just checked). And I think the same goes to Taki too (forgot since when). As for other people, they should be able to understand Sensei if he speaks but he's decided not to speak in front of anyone. It's been shown again and again that when Natsume and Sensei talk carelessly, people can hear him, just like the post above said about Nishimura hearing Natsume talking with someone with an old man's voice.

And about Episode 11 Season 1, when Sensei fell into a pit with a little girl in it... well I've always thought that it's not that the girl that hears him meowing. It's just that Sensei IS meowing in front of her and what we hear is actually his internal monologue. Should he choose to speak, I think that little girl should be able to hear his voice too. Like in the special episode "Nyanko Sensei to Hajimete no Otsukai" when he helps two lost kids in the woods and they understand him just well.

I hope that helps :)

More topics from this board

Poll: » Natsume Yuujinchou Roku Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 20, 2017

109 by Nakuy »»
Dec 10, 2023 12:11 PM

Poll: » Natsume Yuujinchou Roku Episode 10 Discussion

tsubasalover - Jun 13, 2017

37 by Nakuy »»
Dec 10, 2023 11:43 AM

» Season 7 announced

MegamiRem - Jun 30, 2023

13 by Cammedham »»
Jul 3, 2023 7:39 PM

Poll: » Natsume Yuujinchou Roku Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 11, 2017

119 by helennaaj »»
May 17, 2023 11:51 AM

Poll: » Natsume Yuujinchou Roku Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - May 9, 2017

82 by JebaUzumaki »»
Apr 11, 2023 11:10 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.