Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
May 10, 2017 8:10 PM

Mar 2010
AnimeHonor said:
i thought the writing in this show was so bad, and the main character is worse than a bland harem lead. Most of the praise is for rem, who the community has determined to be best girl. Even though there is nothing special or cool about her

But the thing is the characters are probably very appealing to the otaku type. The colors are pretty, the girls are moe. The plot pretends to be complicated yet simple enough for ur average guy to comprehend.

I'm not sure how you can say the this when the LN are literally the definition of blank slate, while Suabru has clearly has personality regardless of whether you like it or not. You're general discreption baoyt the character can apply to 90% of anime medium both good and bad.

It really has everything an anime needs to be successful in today's time

Funny. Then why does the show not have a harem, an OP protagonist who's always right and cool. Where is his shounen powers that allow him to solo everything without working everyone? Where is the RPG mechanics like stats and guilds? You know those things that are in hundreds of LNs and WNs like Mahou Sensou and Maso Gakuen, Asterisk War or SAO? Yet this one which doesn't any of that and actually forces the MC to change himself to get anywhere.

Re:Zero is popular because it actually stands out among the coward and most people aren't judging it with a superficial lens like being colorful and having girls in it.
Iron_MawMay 10, 2017 8:15 PM
May 10, 2017 11:22 PM

Apr 2014
Because.
>edgy MC
>scream a lot
>completely useless.

WOW oh mer gerd so realistic.

Long story shorts people have shit taste and think everything with lower brightness in it's visual is 'cool stuff'.

It had a pretty good premise in the first arc but it get worse and worse as it move forward, ironically the aspect that makes it such a failure is the aspect which they put so much effort to which is the drama, it is forced and came out of nowhere.
As it move forward the MC rendered into a convenient forced plot tool just to make something happen.
May 14, 2017 12:11 PM
Nov 2013
Cause it's a really good show with a lot of unique aspects. Subaru is a different kind of MC, which a lot of people, myself included, really appreciate.

I can't believe how many people don't understand what makes Subaru such a great and unique lead. He's the best thing about the series , everyone saying "he's generic", sounds like they didn't even watch the show.
crystalblade13May 14, 2017 12:23 PM
May 15, 2017 3:26 PM

May 2017
plot twists +feels+time reset, that is why. oh and waifus.
HussinMay 15, 2017 3:30 PM
i am shitposter. dont take me seriously.
May 15, 2017 3:27 PM
Feb 2017
because many people have shit taste.
May 15, 2017 3:34 PM

May 2017
imeli said:

i dont believe in the shit taste or the good taste. it is just because most people dont care about logic in this show. the feels were strong in the anime, so the show was good and enjoyable for some i think.
May 17, 2017 12:22 AM

Mar 2010
Hussin said:
imeli said:

i dont believe in the shit taste or the good taste. it is just because most people dont care about logic in this show. the feels were strong in the anime, so the show was good and enjoyable for some i think.

I care about logic and I like this show. In fact it's main mysteries and Subaru's journey is what I'm invested in above all.
May 17, 2017 8:46 AM

May 2017
Jagd84 said:
Hussin said:

I care about logic and I like this show. In fact it's main mysteries and Subaru's journey is what I'm invested in above all.

well the show is not consistent. the logic sometimes is broken the show. if you didnt notice such flaws, then you like the show too much.
May 17, 2017 8:51 AM

Mar 2010
Hussin said:
Jagd84 said:

well the show is not consistent. the logic sometimes is broken the show. if you didnt notice such flaws, then you like the show too much.

I agree it's not perfect (what show is anyway?), but disagree about it not being consistent speaking as someone who has analyzed every aspect of series barring the adaptation differences.
May 17, 2017 8:51 AM

Feb 2017
Its one of the shittiest shows i ever watched. The story is shit, MC is shit, every episode they keep talking for 10 minuts.
At around episode 11 i felt the boredom starting to injure my intern organs slowly.

/lel
May 17, 2017 8:59 AM

May 2017
Jagd84 said:
Hussin said:

I agree it's not perfect (what show is anyway?), but disagree about it not being consistent speaking as someone who has analyzed every aspect of series barring the adaptation differences.

read the topic again to know what show we are talking about.

the mc is realy realy stupid, but that is not flaw, the flaws is he can be smart sometimes and can be stupid other times, just for plot convenience. that is not consistent. the author just wrote the story for fun i think. i couldn't take the show no matter how i try to shut off my brain. most characters are 1 dimensional. few characters i liked. i enjoyed few parts of the show, but compared to the shit i have seen, it is nothing. dropped the show after ep 19. couldn't handle. i was thinking maybe something will change.
May 17, 2017 9:02 AM

May 2017
Ballardo said:
Its one of the shittiest shows i ever watched. The story is shit, MC is shit, every episode they keep talking for 10 minuts.
At around episode 11 i felt the boredom starting to injure my intern organs slowly.

/lel

i have question, how many times have you eye rolled watching the show. for me it is about 5 times.
May 17, 2017 9:09 AM

Feb 2015
Because we like it.
A lot, actually.
May 17, 2017 10:21 AM
Jul 2018
Hussin said:
Jagd84 said:

the mc is realy realy stupid, but that is not flaw, the flaws is he can be smart sometimes and can be stupid other times, just for plot convenience. that is not consistent. the author just wrote the story for fun i think. i couldn't take the show no matter how i try to shut off my brain. most characters are 1 dimensional. few characters i liked. i enjoyed few parts of the show, but compared to the shit i have seen, it is nothing. dropped the show after ep 19. couldn't handle. i was thinking maybe something will change.

You assume it's for plot convenience. Probably because you can't reason why. Probably every example you're thinking about had already been discussed. And ye, perhaps you should give some (examples). 'wrote for fun' xD Pls.
'most characters are 1 dimensional' Dude, if it's consistent with their character it's how it should be. Like, Rem isn't supposed to be complex, and she's supposed to not be as smart as her sister. So it's like people wanting better even though it'd not fit what she's been presented as.
But the thing is that Subaru's still getting to know those people. It'd be more unnatural for them to reveal more of themselves just yet.

If the logic presented differs too much from what you're used to you might find difficulty accepting it. How about elaborating on what you disagreed in the show? Shouldn't be difficult, right?
May 17, 2017 10:25 AM

May 2017
Rehls said:
Hussin said:

You assume it's for plot convenience. Probably because you can't reason why. Probably every example you're thinking about had already been discussed. And ye, perhaps you should give some (examples). 'wrote for fun' xD Pls.
'most characters are 1 dimensional' Dude, if it's consistent with their character it's how it should be. Like, Rem isn't supposed to be complex, and she's supposed to not be as smart as her sister. So it's like people wanting better even though it'd not fit what she's been presented as.
But the thing is that Subaru's still getting to know those people. It'd be more unnatural for them to reveal more of themselves just yet.

If the logic presented differs too much from what you're used to you might find difficulty accepting it. How about elaborating on what you disagreed in the show? Shouldn't be difficult, right?

you didnt think the mc was inconsistent? well then no need to discuss anything beyond this.
May 17, 2017 10:36 AM

Feb 2016
Because everyone has a opinion?I actually don't know a lot of people who are praising the Anime.I only know some people who don't like it.I know this Anime got a lot of hype but I kinda see why.Re: Zero isn't a bad Anime in my eyes.It was really enjoyable even if the Waifu war kinda annoyed me.The story itself was decent and the characters too.Some of them are good and some of them not that much.Re: Zero was decent at the beginning but I loved how dark and dramatic the Anime got after the time.I love it if Animes are turning from something more happy into something dark and messed up.I think Re: Zero is a good Anime.Not one of the best and not close enough to be a masterpiece but I really enjoyed it.Just because the Anime got that much hype doesn't mean that I have to hate it.

I will not believe that everything is controlled by fate.

ll X ll
May 17, 2017 11:30 AM
Jul 2018
Hussin said:
Rehls said:

you didnt think the mc was inconsistent? well then no need to discuss anything beyond this.

Yeah you think you hold the truth, don't ya? I met a lot of users like you. And yeah they were proven wrong always.

And no, he hadn't been inconsistent. I remember lots of people complaining that in the capital--in the meeting of the candidates, how unexpected to them it was the way he behaved. Even before that, in the meeting with Julius. They accused him of being out of character. xD They didn't think enough to realize it not even being a side of him that been shown before. They thought they understood him and knew that he'd not be one to behave like that. But they said so as if for sure, when a situation like that hadn't happened before. There were no love rivals. And before, his worth hadn't been questioned. (In the mansion Roswaal had his hands tied, for what Subaru had done for Emilia, and he being a supporter of her, not a master. He couldn't do something against him as it'd displease Emilia. It pretty much gave us a false impression that someone like him had been pretty well accepted in the high society of that world. And that he'd know how to behave, even though in the first days there he had been lacking proper conduct. It was either Rem or Ram that had to tell him about the hierarchy there, in some episode.)

So the second half was more challenging than the first, and Subaru struggled a lot, which caught people by surprise as they thought he had already 'developed'--resulting in people criticizing his character. (Perhaps this classifies as a 'TL;DR'? Eh.)

And oh, in case you don't know, the story is about 150+ anime episodes' long.
removed-userMay 23, 2017 5:59 PM
May 18, 2017 2:16 AM

Mar 2010
Hussin said:
Jagd84 said:

That's not consistency works. People do not act 100% smart or 100% stupid all the time. There are times when people make mistakes and times they don't. It's got nothing to do with plot convenience, it's called being human. Whether you think the characters are one dimensional or not also has nothing to do consistency and that's just a your opinion.

-Asuka said:
Because everyone has a opinion?I actually don't know a lot of people who are praising the Anime.I only know some people who don't like it.I know this Anime got a lot of hype but I kinda see why.Re: Zero isn't a bad Anime in my eyes.It was really enjoyable even if the Waifu war kinda annoyed me.The story itself was decent and the characters too.Some of them are good and some of them not that much.Re: Zero was decent at the beginning but I loved how dark and dramatic the Anime got after the time.I love it if Animes are turning from something more happy into something dark and messed up.I think Re: Zero is a good Anime.Not one of the best and not close enough to be a masterpiece but I really enjoyed it.Just because the Anime got that much hype doesn't mean that I have to hate it.

Unfortunately a lot of people on mail are incapable of seeing theta world doesn't revolve around them or their tastes, that's why threads like this exist. Nobody forcing them to like what others do, but they act like they are and need everyone to validate their views.
Iron_MawMay 18, 2017 2:22 AM
May 28, 2017 9:49 AM

May 2015
Hussin said:

The dude is a bumbling idiot for pretty much the whole duration of the show before he manages to defeat the White Whale.

He managed against Beltegeuse because of the witch. And he managed to NOT get himself killed by Rem/Ram/Roswaal and the cursed dogs things. It's only with the whale he achieves something really major.

ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ
Jun 11, 2017 3:17 AM

Apr 2014
crystalblade13 said:
Cause it's a really good show with a lot of unique aspects. Subaru is a different kind of MC, which a lot of people, myself included, really appreciate.

I can't believe how many people don't understand what makes Subaru such a great and unique lead. He's the best thing about the series , everyone saying "he's generic", sounds like they didn't even watch the show.

Exactly how is Subaru a different kind of MC? He's useless, annoying, screams a lot, says a lot of pointless speeches, always gets people to help save him, always tries to help everyone even though he can't, etc. There are endless types of MC's like Subaru, such as Rin from Blue Exorcist (although he's so much better than Subaru), Ganta from Deadman Wonderland (since he's the MC, he hasn't died yet in a fight), OZ from Pandora Hearts (although he does have a cool personality, so he isn't as annoying), Kaneki Ken from Tokyo Ghoul (at least for 2/3's of the first season), etc.
Ha. Ha. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA.
I'm laughing because you got hurt.
Jun 11, 2017 11:05 AM

Mar 2010
TobiOrNotTobi said:
crystalblade13 said:

Exactly how is Subaru a different kind of MC? He's useless, annoying, screams a lot, says a lot of pointless speeches, always gets people to help save him, always tries to help everyone even though he can't, etc. There are endless types of MC's like Subaru, such as Rin from Blue Exorcist (although he's so much better than Subaru), Ganta from Deadman Wonderland (since he's the MC, he hasn't died yet in a fight), OZ from Pandora Hearts (although he does have a cool personality, so he isn't as annoying), Kaneki Ken from Tokyo Ghoul (at least for 2/3's of the first season), etc.

If you were trying make a point you just utterly defeated with that post. You know also cries and screams a lot, has felt powerless and helps others? Guts from Berserk and he couldn't be any more different from Subaru. So making generic statements that can be written about anyone which doesn't even take about his actual character proves nothing. Going by comparison you just proved one of the reasons why Subaru is different from most MCs by citing mostly typical shounen protagonists with super magic fighting powers who bulldoze through most of their obstacles without getting any real development outside Kaneki. You hate fact Subaru isn't a some strong hero and actually has legit problems with but ignores the fact he tries best within his limits. He's not all like any of those characters beyond being a teenager, neither in personality or issues. Hell many of the characters you listed aren't much each other either.

And no he doesn't try to help everybody, did you forget in episode 1 where just gonna leave that lost child to fed for herself, but it was Emilia who decide to her? Or his selfish attitude through 12-18 that blinded him to how he was treating others, before for his turn around happened? Most of the time Subaru helping people he knows or has relationship with.
Iron_MawJun 11, 2017 11:16 AM
Jun 17, 2017 9:00 PM

Nov 2016
İ think show deserves all the praise it gets. it have everything ; good story reveals slowly and keep you wondering.Have ,drama , dark moments,funny moments and we have rem.

İ watched 18 ep so far and i love how subaru is not our standart op mc,its only natural because he was neet high schooler why would he turn to hero immediately.İt took 18 ep for him to understand hes mistakes but im expexcting him to slowly become stronger at least i got that impression after ep 18.

Sorry for bad english ;(
Jun 17, 2017 9:53 PM

Aug 2013
It's because of the waifus. It's a pretty forgettable anime imo. The villain arch bishop guy was super annoying, no full explanation for Subaru's resetting powers, the characters are pretty cliche. I guess it's better than certain other issekai anime though like Grimgar , SAO, Overlord.
Jun 20, 2017 10:17 PM
Jul 2018
What I don't understand is why people like Subaru Natsuki so much? I mean he basically couldn't do anything and yet he stalked Emilia like a creep and was still obsessed over her when Rem asked him out, only to reject her, after all the times she came to save him! I would have rather seen him become an OP badass protagonist than see him be what he ended up as; a whiny crybaby who is only capable of complaining and never grows up!
Jun 21, 2017 3:45 AM

Mar 2010
MachRentaro said:
What I don't understand is why people like Subaru Natsuki so much? I mean he basically couldn't do anything and yet he stalked Emilia like a creep and was still obsessed over her when Rem asked him out, only to reject her, after all the times she came to save him! I would have rather seen him become an OP badass protagonist than see him be what he ended up as; a whiny crybaby who is only capable of complaining and never grows up!

I have no idea who you talking about but doesn't sound like Subaru. Oh love how you call Subaru's love for Emilia obsession and stalker but praise Rem for acting the same way because she is cute girl who must sacrifice themselves for the MC and be rewarded for it but never the other way around. Nevrmind that Subaru his put his life on the line to save Emilia too. Then go around calling Subaru whining crybaby despite fact he's been through more shit than most MC's still mange to overcome his problems (grasp but growing up in a real sense) instead of getting by with generic superpowers by using his witts. If you want the standard masculine MC who incapable of being being anything but being a badass, soulless dolt look elsewhere.
Iron_MawJun 21, 2017 5:20 AM
Jun 21, 2017 4:17 AM

Jan 2017
Because this show has THE BEST FEMALE PROTAGONIST EVER!
EMILIA-TAN IS THE IDEAL GIRL!
Apart from that the story is also very good

Join Emilia's self-proclaimed knights club if you are a fellow Emilia fan

Jun 21, 2017 8:50 AM
Jul 2018
Jagd84 said:
MachRentaro said:

I have no idea who you talking about but doesn't sound like Subaru. Oh love how you call Subaru's love for Emilia obsession and stalker but praise Rem for acting the same way because she is cute girl who must sacrifice themselves for the MC and be rewarded for it but never the other way around. Nevrmind that Subaru his put his life on the line to save Emilia too. Then go around calling Subaru whining crybaby despite fact he's been through more shit than most MC's still mange to overcome his problems (grasp but growing up in a real sense) instead of getting by with generic superpowers by using his witts. If you want the standard masculine MC who incapable of being being anything but being a badass, soulless dolt look elsewhere.

At least Rem knew what she was doing (and trust me I am not a fan of her as well). Given that Subaru rejected her after everything she did for him (Subaru only caused trouble for Emilia when trying to save her and he should have known that!), he lost all hope of character redemption with that move. And why are you calling badass MC's dolts when really, Subaru proves he is the dolt through his incompetence (I know what the word "dolt" means; it means a stupid person)? Give me some examples of such MC's who are dolts (other than Saitama, which I am fine with him being a dolt considering he is a parody).
removed-userJun 21, 2017 8:55 AM
Jun 21, 2017 9:46 AM

Mar 2010
MachRentaro said:

At least Rem knew what she was doing (and trust me I am not a fan of her as well).

This makes nonsense. She was in love him and pursed her feelings after he had helped. No different with him and Emilia. Whether you liked any of them isn't relevant to me or the facts.

Given that Subaru rejected her after everything she did for him

Yes because he has feelings for somebody else. He no obligation to forcibly return her feelings. Just as Emilia was no obligation return Subaru because he helped her out.

(Subaru only caused trouble for Emilia when trying to save her and he should have known that!), he lost all hope of character redemption with that move.

This is dumb. The only time he caused trouble for her was one episode and even then he had his heart right but wrong approach. Every other time before and last 3rd of anime they been helpful to each. They got along well and Emilia considered him her first friend. Rather than saying he should know you don't even sound like you watched the same show. His redemption came when he stopped running from his problems, put Emilia first and amended their relationship instead of doing cowardly thing picking the next girl as consolation just because you like her. He likes Rem well enough, but he likes Emilia more. The one person who supposed him since he came here and gave him a purpose to live and didn't kill him.

And why are you calling badass MC's dolts when really, Subaru proves he is the dolt through his incompetence (I know what the word "dolt" means; it means a stupid person)? Give me some examples of such MC's who are dolts (other than Saitama, which I am fine with him being a dolt considering he is a parody).

Yes, because incompetent people are totally capable of strategy, negation and putting together coalition armies. But he's "incompetent" because eh made some mistakes along the way acted emotionally like a normal person. No dude he succeed because he used his head. He's no genius but he's dumb because he doesn't do what you say.

You can look at most shounen see what I mean by dolt, but I doubt care about something since you judge a person shallowly on how powerful they are not what they do have. So I couldn't careless about arguing this as will go nowhere.
Jun 21, 2017 10:19 AM
Jul 2018
Jagd84 said:
MachRentaro said:

At least Rem knew what she was doing (and trust me I am not a fan of her as well).

This makes nonsense. She was in love him and pursed her feelings after he had helped. No different with him and Emilia. Whether you liked any of them isn't relevant to me or the facts.

Okay, I will have to concede to the point that Rem tried to save Subaru after he helped her. However, Rem was suffering from mental problems and I could tell that. However, Subaru was just being beaten up and surely he would have been left alone alive after enough beating and Emilia helped him in a not so problematic situation. At least Emilia stated she was only trying to get the insignia that was stolen from her and had zero connection with Subaru. That being said, Subaru should have just thanked her for saving her and left on for his own quest.

Given that Subaru rejected her after everything she did for him

Yes because he has feelings for somebody else. He no obligation to forcibly return her feelings. Just as Emilia was no obligation return Subaru because he helped her out

Maybe he should have realized Emilia stopped caring about him by that time after him embarrassing her big time in the election.

(Subaru only caused trouble for Emilia when trying to save her and he should have known that!), he lost all hope of character redemption with that move.

This is dumb. The only time he caused trouble for her was one episode and even then he had his heart right but wrong approach.

Remember the election? Subaru embarrassed Emilia big time by shouting out he was her knight, yet failing to prove his worth at all. Why he disobeyed Emilia I will never know. He wanted to help but she should have realized he was incapable of doing so, after so many attempts of trying to save others and himself but dying as a result. Granted he does that in episode 18, it should have taken him much less deaths than it did for him to do so.

And why are you calling badass MC's dolts when really, Subaru proves he is the dolt through his incompetence (I know what the word "dolt" means; it means a stupid person)? Give me some examples of such MC's who are dolts (other than Saitama, which I am fine with him being a dolt considering he is a parody).

Yes, because incompetent people are totally capable of strategy, negation and putting together coalition armies. But he's "incompetent" because eh made some mistakes along the way acted emotionally like a normal person. No dude he succeed because he used his head. He's no genius but he's dumb because he doesn't do what you say.

You can look at most shounen see what I mean by dolt, but I doubt care about something since you judge a person shallowly on how powerful they are not what they do have. So I couldn't careless about arguing this as will go nowhere.

His incompetence remains because he was unable to do so without the help of Crusch Karsten, who actually denied him the first time. Also, most of the times, he did make the same mistakes over and over again such as going to the same alleyway with the thugs that beat him up, only to get beaten up again, except once where he finally pummels them down. Unfortunately, he doesn't learn to use his brain on how to make a strategy on defending himself and ultimately, he dies over and over again.

Granted some of those OP protagonists are gullible but they are nowhere near as dolt as Subaru is. One such example is Eiji Hoshimiya of Big Order, I mean sure he isn't the smartest of protagonists but he does use his brain.
removed-userJun 21, 2017 10:24 AM
Jun 21, 2017 12:20 PM

Jun 2017
MachRentaro said:

Also, most of the times, he did make the same mistakes over and over again such as going to the same alleyway with the thugs that beat him up, only to get beaten up again, except once where he finally pummels them down. Unfortunately, he doesn't learn to use his brain on how to make a strategy on defending himself and ultimately, he dies over and over again.

Watch carefully, it isn't the same alleyway every time. The alley is different in the first, second and third loops. In the fourth one it might be the same one as in the second loop, but I'm not sure. He's definitely not going to the same alleyway every single time, and he only goes through them as a shortcut to get to the loothouse faster (or in the third loop's case because he's chasing Emilia).

He does learn from each loop. In the first loop he was defeated by the thugs because the one in the middle had a knife. So in the second loop he targeted him down first. In the third loop he learned they were afraid of the guards, so instead of risking his life again he simply called them. Likewise, he memorized Elsa's attack patterns after being killed by her twice and managed to dodge some of her strikes in his third fight against her.

Obviously, he doesn't understand everything straight away and sometimes does make dumb decisions (especially when he's blinded by rage and despair, like in arc 3). Like every human being. Nobody is consistently a genius or consistently an idiot.

His incompetence remains because he was unable to do so without the help of Crusch Karsten, who actually denied him the first time.

You're saying he's incompetent because he couldn't form an army without Crusch's help? Not being able to summon an army out of thin air makes him incompetent?

What he did here was using the knowledge he gained from his previous loops. He understood what Crusch wanted (defeating the white whale) and offered her a reasonable deal (mining rights and the white whale's location) in exchange for her help against the witch cult. If that's being incompetent, then I assume someone as competent as you could come up with a better solution to save both Emilia and the village?

Jun 21, 2017 1:10 PM

Mar 2010
MachRentaro said:

His incompetence remains because he was unable to do so without the help of Crusch Karsten, who actually denied him the first time. Also, most of the times, he did make the same mistakes over and over again such as going to the same alleyway with the thugs that beat him up, only to get beaten up again, except once where he finally pummels them down. Unfortunately, he doesn't learn to use his brain on how to make a strategy on defending himself and ultimately, he dies over and over again.

Granted some of those OP protagonists are gullible but they are nowhere near as dolt as Subaru is. One such example is Eiji Hoshimiya of Big Order, I mean sure he isn't the smartest of protagonists but he does use his brain.

If that's you definition of "incompetence" than it's extremely childish. Basically because he doesn't have biggest dick on block, has get people cooperate with him by manulplating things in his favor instead of streaming rolling over everybody like some flat hero he's idiot *rolleyes*. And not you are literally wrong about his competence because he and nobody would survive those conflicts without him actually using his head which Subaru does. Your examples how you are grasping for straws and ignoring anything contradicts it as well as inaccurate to force you view. This so incredible shallow it is laughable moreso because you bring up Eiji of all people.

Nobidexx said:
Like every human being. Nobody is consistently a genius or consistently an idiot.

Unfortunately this seems to be a hard concept for decorators like this guy to understand seem to want one note characters who always right and amazing. Being fallible is seen as sin instead of being human.
Jun 21, 2017 1:12 PM
Jul 2018
Nobidexx said:
MachRentaro said:

Also, most of the times, he did make the same mistakes over and over again such as going to the same alleyway with the thugs that beat him up, only to get beaten up again, except once where he finally pummels them down. Unfortunately, he doesn't learn to use his brain on how to make a strategy on defending himself and ultimately, he dies over and over again.

Watch carefully, it isn't the same alleyway every time. The alley is different in the first, second and third loops. In the fourth one it might be the same one as in the second loop, but I'm not sure. He's definitely not going to the same alleyway every single time, and he only goes through them as a shortcut to get to the loothouse faster (or in the third loop's case because he's chasing Emilia).

He does learn from each loop. In the first loop he was defeated by the thugs because the one in the middle had a knife. So in the second loop he targeted him down first. In the third loop he learned they were afraid of the guards, so instead of risking his life again he simply called them. Likewise, he memorized Elsa's attack patterns after being killed by her twice and managed to dodge some of her strikes in his third fight against her.

Obviously, he doesn't understand everything straight away and sometimes does make dumb decisions (especially when he's blinded by rage and despair, like in arc 3). Like every human being. Nobody is consistently a genius or consistently an idiot.

His incompetence remains because he was unable to do so without the help of Crusch Karsten, who actually denied him the first time.

You're saying he's incompetent because he couldn't form an army without Crusch's help? Not being able to summon an army out of thin air makes him incompetent?

What he did here was using the knowledge he gained from his previous loops. He understood what Crusch wanted (defeating the white whale) and offered her a reasonable deal (mining rights and the white whale's location) in exchange for her help against the witch cult. If that's being incompetent, then I assume someone as competent as you could come up with a better solution to save both Emilia and the village?

After resetting so many times, he should have been smart enough to get training of magecraft to summon an entire army out of thin air, so yes that makes him incompetent.
Jun 21, 2017 1:24 PM
Jul 2018
Jagd84 said:
MachRentaro said:

If that's you definition of "incompetence" than it's extremely childish. Basically because he doesn't have biggest dick on block, has get people cooperate with him by manulplating things in his favor instead of streaming rolling over everybody like some flat hero he's idiot *rolleyes*. And not you are literally wrong about his competence because he and nobody would survive those conflicts without him actually using his head which Subaru does. Your examples how you are grasping for straws and ignoring anything contradicts it as well as inaccurate to force you view. This so incredible shallow it is laughable moreso because you bring up Eiji of all people.

Nobidexx said:
Like every human being. Nobody is consistently a genius or consistently an idiot.

Unfortunately this seems to be a hard concept for decorators like this guy to understand seem to want one note characters who always right and amazing. Being fallible is seen as sin instead of being human.

At least Eiji isn't completely stupid as Subaru is. I mean sure he doesn't always do right things (talking about Eiji) but at least his stakes are high as he can't "Return by Death".
removed-userJun 21, 2017 1:28 PM
Jun 21, 2017 1:36 PM

Mar 2010
MachRentaro said:
After resetting so many times, he should have been smart enough to get training of magecraft to summon an entire army out of thin air, so yes that makes him incompetent.

MachRentaro said:
At least Eiji isn't completely stupid as Subaru is. I mean sure he doesn't always do right things (talking about Eiji) but at least his stakes are high as he can't "Return by Death".

1) That has literally nothing to do what we talking about and 2) that is just your opinion.

I don't there much more to be had from this conversation.

Jun 21, 2017 1:39 PM
Jul 2018
Jagd84 said:
MachRentaro said:

1) That has literally nothing to do what we talking about

Considering how you said my point was even more laughable when I brought up Eiji, it was my defense of him to diss Subaru even more.
Jun 21, 2017 1:44 PM

Mar 2010
MachRentaro said:
Jagd84 said:

1) That has literally nothing to do what we talking about

Considering how you said my point was even more laughable when I brought up Eiji, it was my defense of him to diss Subaru even more.

Your defense actually doesn't defend Eiji and only brings up a random subject (stakes) that has nothing to do with competence (the discussion). You clearly don't know what your talking about and just arguing for sake of it. So we are done here.
Jun 21, 2017 1:47 PM
Jul 2018
Jagd84 said:
MachRentaro said:

Your defense actually doesn't defend Eiji and only brings up a random subject (stakes) that has nothing to do with competence (the discussion). You clearly don't know what your talking abut and just arguing for sake of it. So we are done here.

If you say so, let it be then, but I for one will never be able to understand what people like about Subaru, despite his power to reset time yet coupled with his insane amounts of whininess and idiocy.
Jun 21, 2017 1:48 PM

Jun 2017
MachRentaro said:
Nobidexx said:

There's no way he could become a powerful enough mage in 2 days or so (the time he had before the attack), especially given that his gate was almost broken. This kind of training takes years, so he could only do that by abusing return by death dozens of times.

The thing is, he doesn't know how many "lives" he has. For the watcher, it's pretty obvious it's infinite, because we know it's a story and it would be really stupid if it could potentially end on "Subaru has exhausted all his lives. The end.". But from Subaru's viewpoint there's no reason to believe it's infinite, especially after dying only 10 times. He could very well have 25, 50, 100 lives, or a fixed amount between each checkpoint. And maybe he could die for real if he killed himself too much. Because of that he does his best not to die, unless he's really in a desperate situation (i.e. someone he really cares about is dead).
Jun 21, 2017 1:58 PM

Mar 2010
Nobidexx said:
MachRentaro said:

There's no way he could become a powerful enough mage in 2 days or so (the time he had before the attack), especially given that his gate was almost broken. This kind of training takes years, so he could only do that by abusing return by death dozens of times.

The thing is, he doesn't know how many "lives" he has. For the watcher, it's pretty obvious it's infinite, because we know it's a story and it would be really stupid if it could potentially end on "Subaru has exhausted all his lives. The end.". But from Subaru's viewpoint there's no reason to believe it's infinite, especially after dying only 10 times. He could very well have 25, 50, 100 lives, or a fixed amount between each checkpoint. And maybe he could die for real if he killed himself too much. Because of that he does his best not to die, unless he's really in a desperate situation (i.e. someone he really cares about is dead).

Another reason why he can't train by abusing RBD is because it completely resets Subaru to his initial status. Meaning he lose any physical prowess or mana pool increase to use those so-called powerful spells. The author reconfirmed that in the Q&A. He also little talent in magic and can only ever being a mediocre mage at best. So this train to summon a this army is not only unfeasible for him, but no such convenient spell exists. Might as well say he should be able make rain by blowing his nose by that dumb logic.
Iron_MawJun 21, 2017 2:10 PM
Jun 21, 2017 3:54 PM
Jul 2018
Jagd84 said:
Nobidexx said:

Another reason why he can't train by abusing RBD is because it completely resets Subaru to his initial status. Meaning he lose any physical prowess or mana pool increase to use those so-called powerful spells. The author reconfirmed that in the Q&A. He also little talent in magic and can only ever being a mediocre mage at best. So this train to summon a this army is not only unfeasible for him, but no such convenient spell exists. Might as well say he should be able make rain by blowing his nose by that dumb logic.

I am well aware of his current magic status, having seen him only being capable of producing a smokescreen with dark gas, but that was it, and nothing else. And that was useless. However, had he trained out of his will to get stronger, he could have become more knowledgeable.
Jul 14, 2017 1:00 AM

Oct 2014
I'm with you. its very overrated in my opinion. Lot of deaths doens't mean the anime is good. Erased for example also features a lot of death and time loop. Both of them are awful.
Jul 14, 2017 1:09 AM

Apr 2016
Gazz said:
I'm with you. its very overrated in my opinion. Lot of deaths doens't mean the anime is good. Erased for example also features a lot of death and time loop. Both of them are awful.

Rem is what make this show popular end of the discussion.
Jul 14, 2017 4:10 AM

Dec 2013
Swagernator said:
Gazz said:

Rem is what make this show popular end of the discussion.

But it was already popular before she was introduced
Jul 14, 2017 4:11 AM

Apr 2016
G_Spark233 said:

Yep that's because there was another factor of success of this show... specifically named Emilia.
Jul 14, 2017 4:14 AM

Dec 2013
Swagernator said:
G_Spark233 said:

Yep that's because there was another factor of success of this show... specifically named Emilia.

That's a ridiculously stupid thing to believe. Not that many people were hyping up Emilia.

Do you honestly believe what you are claiming or are you just baiting for the sake of baiting.
Jul 14, 2017 4:14 AM

Feb 2015
Swagernator said:
G_Spark233 said:

This anime is just popular because of Waifu Material. Period.
Jul 14, 2017 4:15 AM

Dec 2013
Felix-san said:
Swagernator said:

I don't think you realise just how popular this show was...
Jul 14, 2017 4:15 AM

Apr 2016
G_Spark233 said:
Do you honestly believe what you are claiming or are you just baiting for the sake of baiting.

I cant believe to anyone who's serious about liking this show.
Felix-san said:

This.

The wet weabs in the west and fat otakus in nippon are what makes this shit so popular.
Jul 14, 2017 4:17 AM

Dec 2013
Swagernator said:
G_Spark233 said:

I cant believe to anyone who's serious about liking this show.
Felix-san said:

This.

The wet weabs in the west and fat otakus in nippon are what makes this shit so popular.

So you really are baiting for the sake of baiting...

Either that your the type of weeb that believes their taste is superior above all others.

You shouldn't just dismiss a show for such a shallow reason. There's always a reason why a show is popular regardless of your own personal thoughts.
G_Spark233Jul 14, 2017 4:26 AM
Jul 14, 2017 4:33 AM

Jan 2017
Jagd84 said:
AnimeHonor said:
i thought the writing in this show was so bad, and the main character is worse than a bland harem lead. Most of the praise is for rem, who the community has determined to be best girl. Even though there is nothing special or cool about her

But the thing is the characters are probably very appealing to the otaku type. The colors are pretty, the girls are moe. The plot pretends to be complicated yet simple enough for ur average guy to comprehend.

So it's good because it isn't as bad as the others? LOL.

I'm not sure how you can say the this when the LN are literally the definition of blank slate, while Suabru has clearly has personality regardless of whether you like it or not. You're general discreption baoyt the character can apply to 90% of anime medium both good and bad.

It really has everything an anime needs to be successful in today's time

Funny. Then why does the show not have a harem, an OP protagonist who's always right and cool. Where is his shounen powers that allow him to solo everything without working everyone? Where is the RPG mechanics like stats and guilds? You know those things that are in hundreds of LNs and WNs like Mahou Sensou and Maso Gakuen, Asterisk War or SAO? Yet this one which doesn't any of that and actually forces the MC to change himself to get anywhere.

Re:Zero is popular because it actually stands out among the coward and most people aren't judging it with a superficial lens like being colorful and having girls in it.

LOL.
SAO, Asterisk Wars etc. are really shitty animus, Rezero does a few things better than them and that makes it automatically a good show ? People's standards nowadays.....
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Julius is annoying AF

BroDa2545 - Apr 24

21 by Okeanix »»
Apr 27, 4:29 PM

» To the people who don't like Re:Zero, Why? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

opal_shimmer - Feb 20, 2021

250 by Megaman-is-hard1 »»
Apr 23, 8:53 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2016

1722 by Grazzerz »»
Apr 21, 10:54 PM

» Isn't it more realistic for Emilia to fall in love with Reinhard than Subaru? ( 1 2 )

Sanjay63773 - Apr 4

69 by Altofanime »»
Apr 20, 3:11 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 8, 2016

527 by XionnaMing »»
Apr 19, 10:26 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.