Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Feb 24, 2017 5:22 AM

Aug 2013
Oh, I've actually seen some of these ones before! They seem like good people, so hopefully they'll do a good job too. Congrats.
Feb 24, 2017 5:27 AM
Apr 2013
Isn't this the first time ever that a new mods announcement thread not filled with loads of complains and criticisms?
Feb 24, 2017 6:00 AM

Mar 2013
worldeditor11 said:
Isn't this the first time ever that a new mods announcement thread not filled with loads of complains and criticisms?

Well, in the past, it was more 'elite' members of the community that were being recruited, in a way. These last few recruitment runs, however, brought more or less unknown people to the team, hence there would be little to no people to complain about it as you cannot really complain over someone you don't know.

The only one I would call a community image from this recruitment would be RedTie, due to his work performed in the MAL Interviews club which happened to be a site-wide success, at least in the circles of regulars. I also know Soul; but I wouldn't really call any a community powerhouse, which is not a criticism from my side of any kind, just the aspect of looking on the matter.

But at any point, congrats to the new recruits! I wish you all the best :)
Feb 24, 2017 6:01 AM

Apr 2015
Good Luck To All Of Them!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Feb 24, 2017 6:08 PM

Feb 2015
Devotion said:
Subpyro said:

Well, in the past, it was more 'elite' members of the community that were being recruited, in a way. These last few recruitment runs, however, brought more or less unknown people to the team, hence there would be little to no people to complain about it as you cannot really complain over someone you don't know.

The only one I would call a community image from this recruitment would be RedTie, due to his work performed in the MAL Interviews club which happened to be a site-wide success, at least in the circles of regulars. I also know Soul; but I wouldn't really call any a community powerhouse, which is not a criticism from my side of any kind, just the aspect of looking on the matter.

Wouldn't it make a lot of sense to nominate users who are known and active on the forum to get a better impression of them in terms of their ability to communicate with users and their personality? What kind of metric did they go with when they nominated the more unknown users? Were they good friends with someone who could vouch for them? This is not criticism. It's just questions because I don't know how the nomination process works.

Mhhh... Isn't being assassin better? I mean, on the process, Forum Mods will learn how to deal with users in a way because the "operators" saw something to their potential( the resume and their attitude towards the community as a whole). Besides, some users have their own boards that they check anyway...
Feb 24, 2017 6:13 PM

Sep 2012
Devotion said:
Subpyro said:

Wouldn't it make a lot of sense to nominate users who are known and active on the forum to get a better impression of them in terms of their ability to communicate with users and their personality? What kind of metric did they go with when they nominated the more unknown users? Were they good friends with someone who could vouch for them? This is not criticism. It's just questions because I don't know how the nomination process works.

I guess it about the answer they gave in recruitment questions. Also there is a second part after that if I am not wrong.
Feb 24, 2017 6:53 PM

Sep 2011
Devotion said:
Subpyro said:

Nomination process is solely dependent on us mods as a team (Forum mods). If a forum mod has a suggestion, he posts their name and says why they might be a good candidate. We then go through their posting history, reporting history if any, and just generally history on the site on what kind of user they are and if they're fit as a Forum Mod, etc. If the mods agree, then the guy can go through other parts of the tests.

This is totally different than from the ones where you send in a bunch of answers to be a Forum Mod through the new thing Kineta posted months ago. I believe all the new mods were from the question stuff and then we looked at them more in depth.
Feb 25, 2017 5:12 AM

Mar 2013
Devotion said:

Recruitment of 'champions of the community' does make a lot of sense in way, as they could spread the ideals of the staff across a big part of the community and by that influence the general behavior seen around.

However, the issue is that MAL is not really that standard of a community. A lot of known and influential regulars are a core of controversy themselves, which can ignite a lot of drama on their promotion and then throughout their moderation.

Make no mistake, if one is to make a name for themselves and would end up cooperating with the staff as well as would display a positive behavior, it is very likely that a forum mod would take the initiative and contact you regarding the matter, telling you to then further contact Kineta if you were to be interested in the position.

But the issue is that many aren't like that. And those that are have some sort of a sense of righteousness all around and after being recruited don't see eye to eye regarding some matters with Kineta. An example would the general openness of the staff and cooperation as one united whole, not the staff and the rest of the community being two poles.

One other factor one also has to note is that the staff, or Kineta specifically, strongly dislikes any form of drama and will do what can be done to avoid it. In a sense, that is a smart approach on a wide scale, as being too lenient could make things go out of control. With the community this big and active, and staff being limited, things mustn't go out of control (too much).

Therefore, as an ending result, an ideal person to be recruited at this point, is an unknown member of the community that does see eye to eye with the rest of the staff and is a dedicated member, willing to spend his or her time to moderate the website. Basically, a hidden gem.

However, there is one other issue that has to be noted. The less known the member, the more chance it is that they simply want to become a moderator to make a name for themselves and be acknowledged as an 'elite' member quickly. Sure, nothing is wrong with that if they were to turn out helpful, but the difference in mentality between such a person and someone who actually wants to help MAL and contribute to it and its userbase is evident.

I'm sure Kineta and the rest of the staff are aware of the situation. But the issue is, and has been for a long time now, that there aren't many people they can find that would potentially be fitting and do a good job, or that they do find some of them which in the end turn out as uninterested. After all, this is something that requires a lot of will and dedication, so one must truly love the community to be able to hang around as a moderator for a longer period of time.
SubbedFeb 25, 2017 5:18 AM
Feb 25, 2017 9:51 AM

Jan 2016
Congrats new mods \^^/

All the Anime's on my list are all one's I own Personal physical copies of, or have seen in theaters that I plan on buying, series that I've watched on FUNimation or HIDIVE will not be on here unless/until I have already bought it.
Feb 25, 2017 1:58 PM
Jan 2017
Not have brazzilians here... Sad;-;
Feb 25, 2017 7:14 PM

Oct 2013
Late congratulations to all the new Mods!

Good luck! ^.^
Feb 25, 2017 7:23 PM

Jun 2012
worldeditor11 said:
We're just being fake, you know.

For Tyrel we lull them to slaughter.
Feb 25, 2017 11:27 PM

Mar 2016
Congrtaz on becoming new mods.We all are expecting great things of y'all.MAL RULZZZZZZ!!!!!
TyrelFeb 26, 2017 6:47 PM
Feb 26, 2017 5:46 PM
Jan 2017
Kineta said:
We are happy to announce six new faces will be joining our Forum Moderator team:This will increase our team to 14 moderators, one of the largest teams we've had in a long while. We hope their motivation and energy will help to increase the quality of the forum and decrease report waiting time.

We're always on the lookout for qualified community members who are interested in giving back to MyAnimeList with their free time. If you're interested, be sure to check out this thread—and read it thoroughly before applying.

I hope everyone will take a moment to give a warm welcome to the individuals who will now work hard for you!

I think it's save to say the next mod should be well let me think? We need a man that knows forums. A man that has been on almost every popular gaming and anime forum site. A man that knows how to make this site great again. A man of controversy and character. A man that was a mod and CEO of other sites. A man that was a rival to JMV and Snoober. A man that is over Team X. I think that man and next spot belongs to me. I accept the nomination thank you guys!
Feb 28, 2017 2:59 AM

Oct 2011
Congrats to everyone especially @Alfyan ;) I was already given a warning from one of you guys(for double posting, sorry!) so I think you're really doing your job well. Enjoy mods~
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

207 by Shin_016 »»
Yesterday, 7:32 PM

» Try MAL's New Mobile Site! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Xinil - Feb 15, 2015

423 by RED-clover12 »»
Yesterday, 10:19 AM

» Planned 5hr Maintenance, Thursday April 25 @ 1am-6am PT

Kineta - Apr 22

0 by Kineta »»
Apr 22, 8:10 PM

» New Site Update: Peak Anime 🗻 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Mar 31

213 by Lancelot73 »»
Apr 21, 4:28 AM

» Heavenly Easter Delusion: Devil and Dolce ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Mar 27

3331 by Terra_strong »»
Apr 17, 8:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.