Forum Settings
Forums

Are "bad", "boring", and "not my taste" the same thing?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 16, 2017 2:52 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
No because all those words have different meanings regardless if you think they sound similar.
Jan 16, 2017 3:00 PM

Aug 2007
Bad, boring and not my taste are completely different things. I can enjoy something that some might find boring, I could find something that others like pretty boring to me and vice versa.

I also understand that not all series will appeal to me, despite that I wouldn't call them bad unless they actually were.

I can recommend things to others that I didn't care for as well. I'm not the patriarch of watching anime; I don't always know what's right, despite my awesome taste.

Jan 16, 2017 3:42 PM

Sep 2012
They bleed into each other. If you find something "boring" it is more likely to result as "bad". If it's "not to your taste" then it will more likely result in you finding it "boring".

Yet this doesn't mean if it's "not to your taste" it will result in something "bad" because language isn't maths.

Bad: Of poor quality.
1. Burn't cake
2. Harmony

Boring: Not interesting.
1. Water
2. Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress

Not to my taste: Not suited to my preferences.
1. Seafood
2. Harem
Jan 17, 2017 9:04 AM

May 2015
BurningSpirit said:
TheBrainintheJar said:
If you can understand the point of view of the audience, why can't you share their experience?

Put it this way, you can see the intention of the author/writer/studio, but you personally don't get impacted by it.

Dishonest said:
because thats how the world works lol
If you see a woman with a C cup but youre a fan of Es, I imagine youre able to understand someone who thinks a C is perfect for him.

Great analogy, except flat is justice kek

Just because I see the intention doesn't mean the anime was good. Maybe I wasn't impacted because the anime was bad.

flannan said:
> Are "bad", "boring", and "not my taste" the same thing?

In my usage:
"not to my taste" - I understand that some other person might enjoy this show more than I do.
For example, any shoujo anime I did not like.

"bad" - I do not expect any person to enjoy it. Usually I reserve this statement for shows that are within my expertise, which means within my taste. For example, Mahou Sensou is in line with many shows I have watched and enjoyed (Rakudai, Hundred, Kuusen Madoushi, Trinity Seven...), but is bad for no apparent reason.

"boring" - the show has problems keeping my interest. Either the characters and their struggles are unrelatable, or the pacing is too slow. Many "boring" shows are actually not to my taste, but many other "not to my taste" shows are very much not boring.

TheBrainintheJar said:

If you can understand the point of view of the audience, why can't you share their experience?

For example, hormones. No matter how much I understand that it feels good for a girl to be the center of attention of a bunch of pretty boys, I still will not enjoy it personally.

This is not an artistic experience, but a life experience. That's difference. The purpose of art is to put you in the place of the girl and understand her, and be impacted by that understanding.
TheBrainintheJarJan 17, 2017 9:07 AM
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jan 17, 2017 4:03 PM

Apr 2015
Bad: Heaven Skelter is bad.
Boring: Most people find the first half of Steins Gate boring. But bad? Nah, it does do a good job setting up the rest of the series.
Not my taste: Dislike Gundam or Sailor Moon. These shows aren't necessarily bad, but if you don't enjoy military mecha or magical girl, you're tough out of luck.
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Jan 17, 2017 4:43 PM

Sep 2016
Just going to say the first 3 eps of SG won't give you a single reason to keep up:p
but it gets better sure
Jan 17, 2017 7:02 PM
Apr 2015
All three are essentially subjective opinion of a person, not to be taken as absolute facts, however they are different from one another in terms of notion.

To be boring would just mean that the anime fails to entertain, evokes emotions and captivates the audience.

To be bad implies a more objective point of view using detailed analysis rather than purely subjective, but of course that's still opinionated to a certain degree.

Not my taste simply means viewers didn't like the anime for whatever the reason, regardless of it being boring or captivating, good or bad.
OnlyTentsJan 18, 2017 11:07 AM
Jan 18, 2017 1:29 AM

May 2015
Tentology said:
All three are essentially subjective opinion of a person, not to be taken as absolute facts, however they different in terms of notion.

To be boring would just mean that the anime fails to entertain, evokes emotions and captivates the audience.

To be bad implies a more objective point of view using detailed analysis rather than purely subjective, but of course that's still opinionated to a certain degree.

Not my taste simply means viewers didn't like the anime for whatever the reason, regardless of it being boring or captivating, good or bad.

Detailed analysis is still subjective, albeit one that goes deeper. It's the difference between a philosophy book of morals and the layman's general opinion of morals. One goes deeper, but both are subjective.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Which of your favorite anime actually has the most interesting story?

WatchTillTandava - 5 hours ago

13 by Catalano »»
7 minutes ago

» Anime tropes you want to see more of

ST63LTH - 1 hour ago

6 by Zarutaku »»
13 minutes ago

» Do you feel just not excited for anime these days? ( 1 2 )

anizawa89 - May 10

60 by Nirinbo »»
18 minutes ago

» why is myanimelist aka mal not popular in china?

deg - Yesterday

26 by ST63LTH »»
34 minutes ago

Poll: » should characters be smart or mature for you to enjoy them?

deg - Yesterday

27 by RaiYou »»
48 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.