Forum Settings
Forums

Can a bad story ruin a game with good gameplay for you?

New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Dec 28, 2016 6:09 PM

Jan 2013
daAmazinFatB0y said:
PeenusWeenusCaim said:
I used to think not.

I always thought good gameplay always prevails. As long as you have good gameplay, story can hardly matter.

And then I played Yakuza 6.

As a Yakuza fan...I hate you....but i ain't played the damn thing yet so I ain't gonna say anything else.
You don't understand. Yakuza 6's story is truly truly, truly terrible. It's more upsetting than MGSV.
Dec 28, 2016 6:10 PM

Oct 2013
PeenusWeenusCaim said:
Lobinde said:

erm yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh
Name me one (1) good game with a shitty story but good gameplay that can lasts for hundreds of hours.

MGSV
Skyrim (story is actualy just....ayt....could have been great but is pretty forgettable)
Fallout 3 (I ain't played the DLC but that game had a disgusting ending and the story was....ayt.....like Skyrim)
Pokemon games (while the stories do engage yomu ,there still meh)
Dark Souls 2
Xenoblade Chronicles X (I ain't played it but I hear the story ain't that good but gameplay is awesome)
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
I am DjG545 aka Dj Fo Fo aka The Mutha Fkn Name I'm Usin Now
Dec 28, 2016 6:12 PM

Oct 2013
PeenusWeenusCaim said:
daAmazinFatB0y said:

As a Yakuza fan...I hate you....but i ain't played the damn thing yet so I ain't gonna say anything else.
You don't understand. Yakuza 6's story is truly truly, truly terrible. It's more upsetting than MGSV.

LALALALALALALALALAA!!!! I'm NOT LISTENING!!! I will not let your negativity destroy my excitement! NEVER!!!

That being said, Yakuza 5 story had a lot of problems though it wasn't bad but it was reaching quite a bit

DON'T SPOIL YAKUZA 6 FOR ME!
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
Dec 28, 2016 6:41 PM

Sep 2012
daAmazinFatB0y said:
PeenusWeenusCaim said:

LALALALALALALALALAA!!!! I'm NOT LISTENING!!! I will not let your negativity destroy my excitement! NEVER!!!

That being said, Yakuza 5 story had a lot of problems though it wasn't bad but it was reaching quite a bit

What they did to Haruka is horrible, but the rest seems fine (Yakuza never had a "good" plot, is mostly serviciable for the action that takes place). OST is amazing too, one of the best in the series.

Dec 28, 2016 6:57 PM

Jan 2013
SH4kun said:
daAmazinFatB0y said:

What they did to Haruka is horrible, but the rest seems fine (Yakuza never had a "good" plot, is mostly serviciable for the action that takes place). OST is amazing too, one of the best in the series.

The plot went downhill after 2, but you could still like some of the characters.

Yakuza 6 was so bad though it even managed to ruin them. Akiyama, Kazuma, and Haruka were some of my favorite characters in the series but after 6 I only really like Kazuma now.
PeenusWeenusCaimDec 28, 2016 7:01 PM
Dec 28, 2016 7:06 PM

Sep 2012
PeenusWeenusCaim said:
The plot went downhill after 2, but you could still like some of the characters.

Yakuza 6 was so bad though it even managed to ruin them. Akiyama, Kazuma, and Haruka were some of my favorite characters in the series but after 6 I only really like Kazuma now.

Yakuza 2's plot wasn't good either. Kaoru was a shitty tsundere and Goda a very underwhelming antagonist in comparison to Nishiki. The twists at the end with "that guy" alive and the bombs were absolutely laughlable too. It was never the focus of the games though, the combat and side missions/activities are.
Dec 28, 2016 8:01 PM

Apr 2011
daAmazinFatB0y said:
PeenusWeenusCaim said:
Name me one (1) good game with a shitty story but good gameplay that can lasts for hundreds of hours.

MGSV
Skyrim (story is actualy just....ayt....could have been great but is pretty forgettable)
Fallout 3 (I ain't played the DLC but that game had a disgusting ending and the story was....ayt.....like Skyrim)
Dark Souls 2
Xenoblade Chronicles X (I ain't played it but I hear the story ain't that good but gameplay is awesome)

Skyrim gameplay is only good with mods. Vanilla Skyrim is below average. As for Pokemon, Gens 1-5 (I've not played 6 and 7 yet because no 3DS) have shit gaemplay mechanics and the grinding is a fucking chore in all of them (probably not in XY though).
Dec 28, 2016 8:08 PM

Jan 2013
PeenusWeenusCaim said:
yhunata said:
Just speaking for myself, but Final Fantasy XII, Dishonored and Ocarina of Time, just to name a few.
Syrup- said:
Star Ocean 3
Lord_Sithis said:
Embodiment of Scarlet Devil. DoDonPachi DaiOuJou. Crimzon Clover. eXceed 3rd, Ikaruga, Ketsui. Basically the entire shmup genre. That's a lot of games.
Let me repeat that again.

Name me one (1) game with a terrible story and GOOD (emphasis on good) gameplay that can lasts for oved 200 hundred hours.
What about Smash? You can play that for thousands of hours and not get bored.
Dec 28, 2016 8:15 PM

Jan 2013
SH4kun said:
PeenusWeenusCaim said:

Yakuza 2's plot wasn't good either. Kaoru was a shitty tsundere and Goda a very underwhelming antagonist in comparison to Nishiki. The twists at the end with "that guy" alive and the bombs were absolutely laughlable too. It was never the focus of the games though, the combat and side missions/activities are.
Did I say it was good?

Yakuza 2's plot was nothing to write home about but it's definitely a lot better than Yakuza 3's "It was his brother all along!" twist and "rubber bullets" bullshit yakuza 4 had.
PeenusWeenusCaimDec 28, 2016 8:35 PM
Dec 29, 2016 3:16 AM

Oct 2013
PeenusWeenusCaim said:
SH4kun said:

Did I say it was good?

Yakuza 2's plot was nothing to write home about but it's definitely a lot better than Yakuza 3's "It was his brother all along!" twist and "rubber bullets" bullshit yakuza 4 had.

This confirms it for ne. Im gonna love Yakuza 6 lol coz I loved the previous games. Im jumping out this thread before a sudden spoiler kicks in and I hate myself for the rest of my life. PEACE!!
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
Dec 29, 2016 3:23 AM

Oct 2013
yhunata said:
daAmazinFatB0y said:

MGSV
Dark Souls 2

Skyrim gameplay is only good with mods. Vanilla Skyrim is below average. As for Pokemon, Gens 1-5 (I've not played 6 and 7 yet because no 3DS) have shit gaemplay mechanics and the grinding is a fucking chore in all of them (probably not in XY though).

I guess its different for everyone because I loved Vanilla Skyrim (played first on X360) played 75 hours though it was my 1st proper rpg I think or maybe 2nd after Demons Souls so that was long for me at the time.

I can see where your coming from with Pokemon but id say the grind is fun in Pokemon and I usually hate grinds.
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
Dec 30, 2016 4:41 PM

Mar 2016
daAmazinFatB0y said:
PeenusWeenusCaim said:

MGSV
Dark Souls 2

Skyrim's story isn't bad by any means . It's just something not new story-wise (big ass dragon threatening the world appears, and you're the dragonborn enacting the legend and fulfilling your destiny) . It's your classic fantasy story, but i still give it props for succeeding at immersing me in the role of the dragonborn and its lore making the story much more enjoyable .
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Stellar Blade Preview: Sekiro Meets NieR: Automata?

deg - Feb 1

28 by Shizuna »»
54 minutes ago

» Gacha Survey ( 1 2 )

Shizuna - Apr 11

55 by BitChilly »»
58 minutes ago

» Last game you purchased ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Completely_Numb - Mar 15, 2014

524 by SnipeStrike »»
2 hours ago

» Add "you little bitch" to a video game quote. ( 1 2 3 )

Kajiuran - Oct 20, 2023

141 by Kajiuran »»
6 hours ago

» whats your least favorite video game

_spoon_ - Dec 10, 2021

30 by Kajiuran »»
Yesterday, 9:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.