Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jul 25, 2017 11:33 PM

May 2009
Soriki said:
Just use Steam, don't bother with anything else honestly. Trust me and the other millions of users...
And for games NOT on Steam, like really old games... Get them from Emuparadise
not worth putting money into such old games when you can just get them for free honestly

Btw Glenn, gosh your post is long, maybe if there was a lot of spacing I'd read it but.. You should've shortened it/summarized it, or perhaps divided it in several small replies cause damn that's a big cumbersome thing to read through.

Although it is quite nice of you to write so much to help this guy out, I hope he did read it and got something out of it in terms of games, except for the part about Steam.. We agree to disagree, cuts down on time wasting.

Good idea, about spacing it out. I had already been editing it but I decided to spoiler large chunks of it to help readability. Thanks.

Also, I'm a Steam user myself; I just don't like losing access to my games (e.g. the password reset bug that I edited a mention of into my post) or having (what I feel is) a hassle to manage the game files and such. I guess the other stuff (e.g. social features) probably mean more to you than to me. But this is something that OP will have to decide for himself. Not to mention, it really depends on the games one wants -- there's no Tales of Symphonia on GOG for example, so I bought it on Steam. And to be fair Steam does do a lot of good with its multiplayer support -- I just happen to play mostly single-player games.
GlennMagusHarveyJul 25, 2017 11:51 PM
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jul 25, 2017 11:54 PM

Jul 2016
You could play portal
Jul 26, 2017 12:52 AM

May 2009
Tapertrain said:
You could play portal
Yeah, that's a good choice. Good puzzle game with a dab of dark humor and good sense of atmosphere. Breaks the mold of FPS games -- doesn't have to be about repetitively gunning down enemies; instead they got elegantly creative with this.

Just be willing to take a break if you feel like the game is giving you motion sickness (or "simulation sickness" I think is the formal term for this).
Jul 26, 2017 1:47 AM

Oct 2015
GlennMagusHarvey said:
Soriki said:
Just use Steam, don't bother with anything else honestly. Trust me and the other millions of users...
And for games NOT on Steam, like really old games... Get them from Emuparadise
not worth putting money into such old games when you can just get them for free honestly

Btw Glenn, gosh your post is long, maybe if there was a lot of spacing I'd read it but.. You should've shortened it/summarized it, or perhaps divided it in several small replies cause damn that's a big cumbersome thing to read through.

Although it is quite nice of you to write so much to help this guy out, I hope he did read it and got something out of it in terms of games, except for the part about Steam.. We agree to disagree, cuts down on time wasting.

Good idea, about spacing it out. I had already been editing it but I decided to spoiler large chunks of it to help readability. Thanks.

Also, I'm a Steam user myself; I just don't like losing access to my games (e.g. the password reset bug that I edited a mention of into my post) or having (what I feel is) a hassle to manage the game files and such. I guess the other stuff (e.g. social features) probably mean more to you than to me. But this is something that OP will have to decide for himself. Not to mention, it really depends on the games one wants -- there's no Tales of Symphonia on GOG for example, so I bought it on Steam. And to be fair Steam does do a lot of good with its multiplayer support -- I just happen to play mostly single-player games.
Thing is those things you mentioned are not things most people care about or ever even touch my friend, thus the other features being more important, regardless if it's about me or you :)

OP Should pick Steam, and regardless, WILL use Steam whether he wants it or not, sooner or later

You mention multiplayer and singleplayer...

Well, Singleplayer games are usually better, but if you wanna be playing a single player game why not just play something old which is good, a masterpiece, a classic, a renowned title.. Etc.. Thus, these games thou should get for free because of how old they are, there's no point in wasting money on them, or sometimes you can't even buy it/find where to buy it

Kiddo should honestly stay away from Multiplayer games before they corrupt him/has a bad time

Edit: Nice edit you made on your previous reply to OP, much nicer now :]
Jul 26, 2017 6:23 AM

May 2013
Tapertrain said:
You could play portal

looks cool, will probably get&play. thanks :)

@GlennMagusHarvey @Soriki
i will most likely stick to steam. i don't really care about tracking hours/achievements/etc but it's nice to have everything all in one place.
and dont worry about lil old me, multiplayer games are fine. people are nice for the most part.
Jul 26, 2017 6:41 AM
Jun 2015
dark souls is pretty ez
Jul 26, 2017 9:42 AM

Oct 2015
Ussesa said:
Tapertrain said:
You could play portal

i will most likely stick to steam. i don't really care about tracking hours/achievements/etc but it's nice to have everything all in one place.
and dont worry about lil old me, multiplayer games are fine. people are nice for the most part.
Well I'll say it again anyways so you could remember, don't play MOBAS or Arena Fighters like LoL/Dota or Overwatch/Overwatch Ripoff (Paladins)

That's a basic tip and it'll really help you to not sink thousands of hours and money into trash games, enslaved as if you were a sheep producing milk for them

It really depends on the games but... Most online game communities, the ratio of intelligent/nice people to retarded/obnoxious idiots and many other names I could label them with, is quite retarded in terms that the negative side is much larger so.. If you are gonna play an Online game.. Beware of that, take it into consideration
Jul 26, 2017 11:19 AM

Apr 2015
Tetris.

It will teach you all the skill necessary, just play it once in a while. Keep playing this, and only this, until you finally get to the victory screen. At this point, you now have the skills to play other games.
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Jul 26, 2017 12:02 PM

May 2009
I think it's a bit arrogant to call MOBAs "trash games", though I will say that I'm not a fan of them since the way they're structured they tend to make people really uptight and anxious about winning vs. losing.

Anyway, Overwatch seems fine, though I haven't played it myself. I've played (reportedly similar) Team Fortress 2 for about six years now and I've enjoyed it -- I don't do the hardcore item trading metagame though. Been meaning to pick up Splatoon for more like this, though I sorta missed the boat on that game. Note: I never play competitive, only casual. (I don't need more stress in my life.)

Ussesa said:
Tapertrain said:
You could play portal

Steam is certainly not a bad choice, just one that I would probably have bought fewer games on if I could go back and change things. But every store has its exclusives, and Steam certainly has some good ones, including Portal and Team Fortress 2 from Valve (the developers of the Steam platform), as well as a number of other games that are only on Steam (e.g. the PC versions of Tales of Symphonia, Zestiria, and Berseria).

Anyway, since you're getting on Steam I should mention a few pieces of advice:

0. When you start out, a number of community features will be disabled for you.

1. Do not get too sucked in to the virtual item economy.

2a. Don't buy games when they're not on sale, unless you know and absolutely love throwing money at that developer. Instead, wishlist the games you want.

2b. Keep your eyes out for bundles on Humble Bundle and sales on the Humble Store and other places.

3. If you buy a game directly on Steam, there's a refund policy --

4. Try to avoid Early Access games unless you're sure you want to pick up something that might be broken and incomplete

5. If you don't want to (or want to limit) participate in the social features, you can keep your profile friends-only or private.

6. Steam user level is NOT a gamerscore.
GlennMagusHarveyJul 26, 2017 2:09 PM
Jul 26, 2017 2:18 PM

Apr 2015
The best beginner game is still Freddi Fish and the Case of the Haunted Schoolhouse.

"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Jul 26, 2017 4:43 PM

Mar 2016
First off CoD doesn't require much skill, you just need to get used to aim and shoot with a mouse, after that you'll be miles better than most of the community because its quite a simple game series ( I dont suggest it)

with that out of the way, here:

- Fallout: New Vegas (so people will be suggesting skyrim and fallout 4, let me say try this instead. Skyrim and fallout 4 are very accessible, but they arent really "RPG's", that meaning the choices you make dont make any difference at all apart from model swaps/different lines being said to you. This game on the other hand is filled with that, you could play it 100 times and it will feel different every time. Trust me, its good)

- Dishonored ( Shortie but goodie, you can play through it 100 different ways and its so fun no matter how you do)

- FFXIV (if you want online then I suggest this, quite an easy game to get used to and if you really love it youll end up mastering it quick, great helpful community (I met a guy who got bored so when he met me he decided to take me on as a "student", and he taught me about the games deeper mechanics for a few weeks before letting me loose, which blew my mind as you just dont expect that to happen in an online game), and a whole lotta fun)

- Payday 2 (this ones also easy to get into and easily mastered too, a whole lotta fun to go on heists with friends and never gets old)

- Dark Souls (Ok so this game will be so so hard at first, and yes it does take time to "master", but I suggest it because its a great example of how rewarding a game can be once you do, and will lead you down the road to exploring more games to "master")

Oh yeah, Go to humblebundle.com and buy the telltale bundle, a shit ton of timeless classics that you'll love (especially The Walking Dead and The Wolf among us, I just finished the walking dead and I completely broke down, played wolf a while back on the xbox and its amazing too)

Jul 26, 2017 4:51 PM

May 2009
RottedRabbit said:
- Dark Souls (Ok so this game will be so so hard at first, and yes it does take time to "master", but I suggest it because its a great example of how rewarding a game can be once you do, and will lead you down the road to exploring more games to "master")
My understanding of Dark Souls's purported difficulty is mainly that it's a game where you can't go rushing in and killing dudes left and right, but have to play it slow and carefully and learn how the mechanics and the enemies work. But people tend to post their immediate reactions to things and so some people started saying it's difficult and other people started running with it as a meme.

To be fair, it IS difficult if you're used to a game telling you how to solve all your problems in the tutorial and having a generous difficulty curve over the course of the game.
Jul 26, 2017 4:53 PM

Mar 2016
GlennMagusHarvey said:
RottedRabbit said:
My understanding of Dark Souls's purported difficulty is mainly that it's a game where you can't go rushing in and killing dudes left and right, but have to play it slow and carefully and learn how the mechanics and the enemies work. But people tend to post their immediate reactions to things and so some people started saying it's difficult and other people started running with it as a meme.

To be fair, it IS difficult if you're used to a game telling you how to solve all your problems in the tutorial and having a generous difficulty curve over the course of the game.
Perfect analogy, Since this guy is new I think its a great idea to start with something like Dark Souls. Just to add play 1 (needs a community patch but after that its great) then 3, then 2 since 2 is probably the weakest.

Jul 26, 2017 5:10 PM

May 2013
@Soriki thanks for the tips. i will definitely take them into consideration. but i really like paladins tbh lolololol

@InsaneLeader13 tetris is my shit. not to brag but i'd like to think that i am a better-than-average player ;)

@CatSoul OMG i used to play that when i was a kid. i totally forgot about this game. i would never have remembered; thanks!!

@RottedRabbit @GlennMagusHarvey @Eight-Man
thanks for the suggestion but dark souls might be a bit too dark for me
Jul 26, 2017 5:37 PM

Oct 2015
Ussesa said:
@Soriki thanks for the tips. i will definitely take them into consideration. but i really like paladins tbh lolololol

@InsaneLeader13 tetris is my shit. not to brag but i'd like to think that i am a better-than-average player ;)

@CatSoul OMG i used to play that when i was a kid. i totally forgot about this game. i would never have remembered; thanks!!

@RottedRabbit @GlennMagusHarvey @Eight-Man
thanks for the suggestion but dark souls might be a bit too dark for me
Well... I hope you enjoy it for now, I've gotten to a point where almost no game is playable for me because of my quality standards and has thrown me into a state of depression in several occasions to the point that I have a post about it... It's nice you have a game you enjoy that's of this day and age (not a game from 10+ years ago)

Enjoy it while you can man, just don't throw any money at it, or you'll regret it :)

Thank god I've never really done this myself
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» your video game waifu or husbando

deg - May 7

29 by DesuMaiden »»
2 hours ago

» It is only rational to be paranoid these days of cybercriminals

DesuMaiden - May 11

16 by Zarutaku »»
3 hours ago

» Switch 2 launching with Breath of the Wild Remake!?

rohan121 - May 12

10 by GrimAtrament »»
7 hours ago

» What are you playing right now? (v2) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Oct 4, 2020

3548 by Rhae »»
8 hours ago

» Do you guys play the Nintendo 3ds and Ps Vita in 2024?

DesuMaiden - May 11

19 by BlexFi5 »»
Today, 3:24 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.