Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Dec 6, 2016 6:54 AM

Oct 2013
Can someone tell me how to watch all the final fantasy movies/series in order?
Are the story lines even related? The main characters seem to be changing all the time.

Not sure which FF series in the specific anime series forum to post this on so I posted it here.
Dec 6, 2016 7:08 AM

Nov 2009
The way I understand it, each installment of Final Fantasy game line is totally unrelated to the others.
Among the anime, Advent Children, Unlimited and Spirits Within are not related to each other in any way. I don't know if other anime of it exist.
They might be related to some of the games, especially the Advent Children one.
Dec 6, 2016 7:12 AM

Jul 2012
The only ones I think are directly tied to the games are for the most part mentioned in the titles. In particular Last order and Advent Children are tied with Final Fantasy 7. One of which is a recap of an event mentioned in the game, advent children is more or less a movie sequel. Brotherhood and Kingsglaive are tied into Final Fantasy 15. This one says it's tied into Final Fantasy 5 in the synopsis. But all of the others I don't believe are directly connected to any game and are pretty much standalone.
Also yeah the games are pretty much all separate with only an occasional vague connection (Like final fantasy 13, type 0, and 15 were all connected by crystal based lore although the games have no direct connection)
GamerDLMDec 6, 2016 7:15 AM
Dec 6, 2016 4:06 PM
Nov 2016
Well first you want to watch Final Fantasy Unlimited. FFU gives you an awesome 1 dimensional character that has one of the coolest phrases... "SOIL IS MY POWER" and then you watch him do this every episode and sometimes it works (almost always) and other times it doesn't. You can find Final Fantasy Unlimited on youtube :D

Now you go and watch Spirits within. Spirits Within is a pretty great movie, but everyone gives it crap....I don't know. It might not be very final fantasy -ish...but neither is Final Fantasy Unlimited

Then you watch Advent Children and you realize that square has gotten much better at cgi, but the story is slow and sluggish...but those action scene....those are awesome

then you have Kingsgleive. This is their best work yet. There are a few wonky parts in the movie, but really, I have no idea why it got so much hate. I absolutely LOVE this movie. My friend torrented it for me and I watched it 4 times and then came to the realization that I must own it,

so there you go....that is how you should watch them.
Dec 8, 2016 5:44 PM
Jul 2018
Volkward said:
Are the story lines even related? The main characters seem to be changing all the time.

Not sure which FF series in the specific anime series forum to post this on so I posted it here.

Spirits Within is a spinoff. Advent Children is a continuation of FF7. Unlimited, I don't know. But I think it's that old anime with a three-winged angel Sephiroth instead of one or something. I don't remember. They're all bad, but if you want, go for it.
Dec 9, 2016 12:50 AM
Nov 2016

Final Fantasy Unlimited, had ONE OF THE BEST CHARACTERS EVER in any anime I have seen

BEHOLD!
SOIL IS MY POWER!
oh and you get to learn your colors :D
start the video around at 16:15

Dec 9, 2016 12:52 AM

Nov 2009
ExpertoCrede said:
Volkward said:

Spirits Within is a spinoff. Advent Children is a continuation of FF7. Unlimited, I don't know. But I think it's that old anime with a three-winged angel Sephiroth instead of one or something. I don't remember. They're all bad, but if you want, go for it.

"three-winged angel Sephiroth" is probably Angel Sanctuary. There's nobody like that in Final Fantasy Unlimited.
Dec 9, 2016 1:05 AM
Jul 2018
The games have nothing to do with each other usually except common themes, common systems, and common inspired environments(but they're not the same worlds). Here's how the anime link up to some of the games though:

'Last Order: Final Fantasy VII'- prequel anime to FFVII(highly suggest playing the game first though, and the Final Fantasy VII Remake is coming out for PS4 soon so that'll be the best way to play it)
'Final Fantasy VII'/'Final Fantasy VII Remake'- game
'Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children'- sequel movie

'Brotherhood: Final Fantasy XV'- prequel anime
'KingsGlaive: Final Fantasy XV'- prequel CG movie
'Final Fantasy XV'- game
Recommend that order for this set.

'Final Fantasy Unlimited'- spinoff series

'Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within'- first CG movie. Praised as a Sci-fi movie, but doesn't share anything in common with the games
Dec 9, 2016 5:49 AM
Jul 2018
flannan said:
ExpertoCrede said:

"three-winged angel Sephiroth" is probably Angel Sanctuary. There's nobody like that in Final Fantasy Unlimited.

I meant Last Order for the three winged angel.
Dec 9, 2016 3:26 PM

Apr 2010
Thread moved

Thread moved to the Final Fantasy board.
Nov 1, 2021 2:38 PM
Dec 2017
Final Fantasy 7 will always be the best in the entire series.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Final Fantasy Episode 4 Discussion

tofei - Jun 25, 2013

1 by St0rmblade »»
Feb 18, 2022 11:40 PM

Poll: » Final Fantasy Episode 2 Discussion

tofei - Jun 25, 2013

1 by St0rmblade »»
Feb 18, 2022 12:44 PM

Poll: » Final Fantasy Episode 1 Discussion

tofei - Jun 25, 2013

2 by Deago »»
Jun 29, 2021 8:48 AM

» Official?

quercifolia - Feb 9, 2015

3 by busterbeam »»
Oct 17, 2016 2:33 AM

Poll: » Final Fantasy Episode 3 Discussion

tofei - Jun 25, 2013

0 by tofei »»
Jun 25, 2013 9:05 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.