Forum Settings
Forums

Need to fill the void major left. Haikyuu...diamond no ace???

New
Nov 7, 2016 6:55 AM
Jun 2015
Just finished all 6 seasons of major including ovas and now I need something to fill the void.

Check my list first please!

No superpowered sports shows. I want it to be semi realistic

I'm mainly looking for a longer show with excellent character development, rivalries, struggles and victories. Does not necessarily have to be sports related. Could also be games etc..

Right now I am considering watching haikyuu or diamond no ace. If you have other rec they are welcome too.
magicalprincessNov 7, 2016 7:19 AM
Nov 7, 2016 6:59 AM

Nov 2015
I had finished Major recently as well, watched Kuroko no Basket recently. It was good.
There is also Touch, a great baseball based anime.
Slam Dunk is cool too.
Nov 7, 2016 7:17 AM
Jun 2015
I should mention I'm looking for more "realistic" sports or games shows. Doesn't have to be completely realistic but no superpower sports
Nov 7, 2016 8:09 AM

Mar 2016
One Outs. Not so much about the character developments but one of the best sports animes out there with no superpowers. "Toua Tokuchi is an athlete by profession, but a reckless gambler at heart. On the streets of Okinawa, he uses nothing but his wits and a "fastball" peaking at a mere 134 kmph to somehow achieve 499 wins in the game of "One Outs," a simplified version of baseball between the pitcher and one batter. Amazed by Toua's unique prowess on the mound, veteran slugger Kojima Hiromichi artfully scouts the pitcher for his long unsuccessful team, the Saikyou Saitama Lycaons."

Yowamushi Pedal. Enjoyable sports anime with good character development. "Sakamichi Onoda is a cheerful otaku looking to join his new school's anime club, eager to finally make some friends. Unfortunately, the club has been disbanded and he takes it upon himself to revive it by finding students who are willing to join. Without much luck, Onoda decides to make a round trip to Akihabara on his old, bulky city bicycle, a weekly 90-kilometer ride he has been completing since fourth grade. This is when he meets fellow first year student, Shunsuke Imaizumi, a determined cyclist who is using the school's steep incline for practice."

Hajime no Ippo. Slightly older, but long-running and ranked #23 on the list of All-Time Top Anime series for a reason. "Makunouchi Ippo has been bullied his entire life. Constantly running errands and being beaten up by his classmates, Ippo has always dreamed of changing himself, but never has the passion to act upon it. One day, in the midst of yet another bullying, Ippo is saved by Takamura Mamoru, who happens to be a boxer. Ippo faints from his injuries and is brought to the Kamogawa boxing gym to recover. As he regains consciousness, he is awed and amazed at his new surroundings in the gym, though lacks confidence to attempt anything. Takamura places a photo of Ippo's classmate on a punching bag and forces him to punch it. It is only then that Ippo feels something stir inside him and eventually asks Takamura to train him in boxing."
Nov 7, 2016 8:14 AM

Mar 2016
You should check both Haikyuu and Diamond no ace. I personally didn't like diamond no ace but haikyuu has great character development and the 2nd season is just amazing.
you can also try...

Hajime no ippo(boxing)
Overdrive(cycling)
Yowamushi Pedal(cycling)
Ping pong the animation(table tennis)
Eyeshield 21(American football)

hope this helps
Nov 7, 2016 9:13 AM

Jul 2016
Ookiku Furikabutte (baseball) my absolute favourite baseball anime.
Haikyuu!! (volleyball)
Kuroko no basket (basketball) unfortunetly superpower sports
Yowamushi Pedal (Bicycle)

These are my favourites, especially the Three first.
Nov 7, 2016 9:20 AM
Aug 2011
If you still want to watch baseball then go for Diamond no Ace.

For Haikyuu ,the third season is actually airing , so maybe it is better for you to wait until it finishes so you can marathon it.

Giant killing is a good anime about soccer bringing back a 2nd divison team to 1st.

One outs is pretty much the same as Giant Killing but it's about baseball and it uses tricks.

Ookiku Furikabutte is def one of my favorite baseball anime, you don't have any special skills or OP player.

Yowamushi Pedal great anime about cycling , really easy to watch.
Nov 7, 2016 9:50 AM
Feb 2015
Capeta...................
Nov 7, 2016 10:06 AM

Nov 2015
magicalprincess said:
I should mention I'm looking for more "realistic" sports or games shows. Doesn't have to be completely realistic but no superpower sports

Then Touch should be good for you.
Nov 7, 2016 10:57 AM
Mar 2016
initial d and hajime no ippo
Nov 7, 2016 11:07 AM

May 2012
Nine replies, and no one mentioned Adachi's wonderful Cross Game yet? For shame.

For an unusual baseball anime, take a look at Moshidora.
Nov 8, 2016 3:08 AM

Jun 2011
^ Cross Game to me is less of a sport but more slice of life/drama.

-1 One Outs - It has no bromance, it has nothing you want from a hot blooded shounen sports.
-1 Kuroko no Basket - used to be borderline realistic, not anymore, kinda like Prince of Tennis
-1 Initial D - no development/rivalries, one and done type of confrontation. It's a pretty cool car racing sports anime tho.

Hikaru no Go - anything you want, this series has them. It's about board game, not physical sports.

+1 Ookiku Furikabutte - my favorite baseball anime too, it's a lot more realistic than Major, it doesn't have visible power up like Major, and it goes a lot deeper into the sports compared to Major

+1 Eyeshield 21 - American football, animation kinda make it seems like they're using some kind of superpower but it really isn't, as far as I remember it, the flashy animation is just a stylistic choice by the author.

Chihayafuru
+1 Slam Dunk
+1 Yowamushi Pedal
+1 Haikyuu
+1 Diamond no Ace
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Nov 8, 2016 3:45 AM

Sep 2015
cross game is fkn Awesome +1 Best sport romance imo (close to fav sport anime)
also Area no kishi (football/soccer) is ok but they didnt finish it
+ 1 haikyuu (my fav sport anime)
+ 1 kuroko no basket
Nov 8, 2016 6:39 AM
Jun 2015
Thanks for the recs. I have seen cross game and loved it.

For now I decided to watch yowamushi pedal and ookiku furikabutte.

I'll check out the other recs soon.

Thanks again

More topics from this board

» Anime similar to live-action action movies?

Skuletor - Apr 18

10 by Skuletor »»
2 minutes ago

» I find it absolutely absurd I can’t find a manga with gay marriage legalized

isseixkoneko - Apr 25

2 by isseixkoneko »»
17 minutes ago

» Movies

BitChilly - Yesterday

10 by TheSunLife »»
2 hours ago

» Looking for anime like Aria the Animation and Shiroi Suna no Aquatope

AdityaRizkiS - 9 hours ago

4 by Chisuku »»
2 hours ago

» Almost cyberpunk sci-fi anime

Eternal-Destiny - Apr 25

6 by mo_lave »»
6 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.