Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sound! Euphonium (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Oct 28, 2016 4:42 AM

Dec 2012
I've never been too sharp at picking up unconfirmed gay relationships, and I don't really know the nuances that articulates this relationship to be romantic from platonic. We see girls be friendly and close with each other in lots of anime with cast of only girls. Shows like hanasaku iroha, love live and new game for example are just exaggerating their friendship interactions so it feels more heart warming to watch because it's the anime medium. Iit never feels romantic to me.
I just finished the first episode. With the exception of some (sexually?) charged physical interactions like the festival on the mountain in S1 of Reina touching kumiko's lips and this episode's hand holding, their dialogue don't really feel like they have a romantic liking for each other. It feels like kumiko just respects and finds reina fascinating like how reina is fascinated with taki sensei in an admiration type of way. Sure Kumiko's dialogue with Reina is more personal and laid-back when they are alone compared to group conversations, but it doesn't necessarily equates to love. There are friends I have more personal conversations and some that I just have casual chats with. The depiction of interaction in Yuri romance is always vaguer than the typical overt shy blushing boy meets girl interactions in straight romance. This makes it difficult for me to discern, especially when you can easily confuse respect/admiration for romantic interest behaviour and vice versa in anime. Observations on why you think they have yuri relationship in terms of their dialogue?
Oct 28, 2016 6:17 AM

Sep 2013
Well, I'm a girl myself and while it's true that girls are quite clingy and touchy with each other, there are still limitations and boundaries. Now, these are the things they did (some includes scenes from season 1) that normal girls like me would never do with a female friend:

1. In the first few episodes back in S1, they blush whenever their eyes met. I know they're awkward back then but a girl doesn't usually blush because of another girl. Those "blush then look away" is a kinda thing a girl would do when she saw her crush or something.

2. Episode 11, Season 1. While girls do make promises like staying with each other's side and stuff, saying "I'm prepared to die" followed by " It's a confession of love" is kinda, you know, unusual.. plus Reina and Kumiko were too close in that scene. Even without those dialogue, the scene itself was so gaaaaay. You can't say it's just a girl thing, the atmosphere and the BGM says otherwise.

3. The "Yukki Onna" in Episode 8. What it feels like to lose your life drawn to a beautiful thing, despite your fears. A very romantic dialogue, I heard it was an anime original (not part of the novel); another proof that KyoAni wants us to ship the yuri ship.

4. Episode 1. Season 2. There are no awkwardness between Reina and Kumiko, they are already bestfriends but Kumiko still blushes like an idiot whenever there is an over budgeted Reina scene (like those perfect smile and gorgeous hair flying in the wind scenes). Reina is a straight trumpet but Kumiko? hmm.. still suspicious.

There are still lots of reasons but those are the ones I can think of right now.
Some may say that fans are just delusional but nope, KyoAni clearly crossed the line in here. I was never a fan of Kyoani previous homo couple, I was even a TamakoxMochizou shipper.. but they made Kumirei ship so enjoyable, I think I'll stay here forever. LOL. Anyway, canon or not, there is something special between Reina and Kumiko. No doubt about it, the red string of fate is so strong in this ship.
Oct 29, 2016 1:47 AM

Dec 2012
Erika___ said:
Well, I'm a girl myself and while it's true that girls are quite clingy and touchy with each other, there are still limitations and boundaries. Now, these are the things they did (some includes scenes from season 1) that normal girls like me would never do with a female friend:

1. In the first few episodes back in S1, they blush whenever their eyes met. I know they're awkward back then but a girl doesn't usually blush because of another girl. Those "blush then look away" is a kinda thing a girl would do when she saw her crush or something.

2. Episode 11, Season 1. While girls do make promises like staying with each other's side and stuff, saying "I'm prepared to die" followed by " It's a confession of love" is kinda, you know, unusual.. plus Reina and Kumiko were too close in that scene. Even without those dialogue, the scene itself was so gaaaaay. You can't say it's just a girl thing, the atmosphere and the BGM says otherwise.

3. The "Yukki Onna" in Episode 8. What it feels like to lose your life drawn to a beautiful thing, despite your fears. A very romantic dialogue, I heard it was an anime original (not part of the novel); another proof that KyoAni wants us to ship the yuri ship.

4. Episode 1. Season 2. There are no awkwardness between Reina and Kumiko, they are already bestfriends but Kumiko still blushes like an idiot whenever there is an over budgeted Reina scene (like those perfect smile and gorgeous hair flying in the wind scenes). Reina is a straight trumpet but Kumiko? hmm.. still suspicious.

There are still lots of reasons but those are the ones I can think of right now.
Some may say that fans are just delusional but nope, KyoAni clearly crossed the line in here. I was never a fan of Kyoani previous homo couple, I was even a TamakoxMochizou shipper.. but they made Kumirei ship so enjoyable, I think I'll stay here forever. LOL. Anyway, canon or not, there is something special between Reina and Kumiko. No doubt about it, the red string of fate is so strong in this ship.

Thanks for the reply, I forgot some vital stuff from S1. I guess I been bad at picking this stuff up because I thought it was just an anime thing that girls are so buddy buddy with each other because it's moe. These do make a lot of sense. I should probably be more observant. What's interesting about this is that their display of affection/interest is much more straightforward, confident and open, which is in direct contrast the romance in heterosexual relationships in anime. Straight relationships in anime usually follows the interaction formula of being shy, closed-off/self-conscious and the confession. Gay relationships in anime kind of emphasize seduction, tension and a steady growth of affection undefined by milestones like the confession. Yuri on ice, flip flappers and amanchu comes to mind.
PoLoBreakOct 29, 2016 2:02 AM
Aug 8, 2020 5:15 AM
Apr 2019
bah ,had fun readin this
Sep 6, 2020 3:55 PM
Mar 2016
Erika___ said:

I don't see any yuri between them but you guys can't stand between two cute girls being that close which it has to be GAYYY..

RENIA did told kumiko that she is in love ROMANTICALLY with Taki sensei.. she came to this school for HIM so she is crazy in love with him.. did kumiko showed any jealousy? Being mad? Depressed? She even teased her of going to school early just to see Taki sensei which is claim she is into this teacher and NOT KUMIKO.

KUMIKO is so jealous when shuichi talk to other girls even Kanade was teasing her for that... even Hazuki told Kumiko that she looked so sad when she asked Shuichi out in festival but she deny her feelings towards him... Kumiko and shuichi put their relationship aside but they did get back together at the end so they are couple.

So no yuri and it's your problem for not thinking straight
Oct 23, 2020 1:30 PM
Oct 2018
No. Why westerners always feels like it’s necessary to put an agenda on everything, even pure feminine friendship. If it’s a spongebob — what’s his sexual orientation? Lion King? Gay. YAAAS SLAY KWEEN. Everything must be about getting laid or being queer. For Christ sake.
Feb 18, 2023 3:55 AM
Feb 2018
Duc_Richelieu said:
No. Why westerners always feels like it’s necessary to put an agenda on everything, even pure feminine friendship. If it’s a spongebob — what’s his sexual orientation? Lion King? Gay. YAAAS SLAY KWEEN. Everything must be about getting laid or being queer. For Christ sake.
It's very obvious and intentionally made and you people trying to deny that really shows your comprehension skills lol. They literally took out the other dudes screentime to make it look gay, they made it to gain attention making it canon was never their goal, it's not western agenda, they did it themselves. Changed stuff from the novel and all and there's still ppl denying it. Im a gay girl and straight dudes are fighting me saying that it was just friendship?? Bro how would you know?

More topics from this board

» Movies

nishant0 - Apr 19

8 by AkiraMiyazaki17 »»
Apr 24, 4:36 AM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

shanimebib - Dec 28, 2016

287 by Prupel1 »»
Apr 20, 3:44 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 30, 2016

117 by Jam15 »»
Apr 13, 5:38 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 16, 2016

113 by Jam15 »»
Apr 10, 1:36 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Nov 2, 2016

217 by ShinigamiGang »»
Apr 1, 7:42 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.