Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 28, 2016 2:23 AM

Feb 2008
It seems like the only way to show support for suggestions at the moment is to reply to the post. But some suggestions are fairly straightforward and it just ends up being a string of "+1" reply threads.

A simple upvote or like system would make a significant difference I think.
Oct 28, 2016 3:29 AM

Oct 2014
I mean you're not wrong but consider how they'll implement it? They'll have to re-code an entire forum structure for just that.
I don't know why people write that they are approachable persons,
if you were you wouldn't be on MAL.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Extended families or lovers on MAL are a farce.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oct 29, 2016 1:09 AM

Nov 2014
Iizbakaokay said:
I mean you're not wrong but consider how they'll implement it? They'll have to re-code an entire forum structure for just that.
To add a like button and a counter? That's probably easy tbh.

But like, really, every forum has likes and shit. It will prob reduce a lot of shitpost and redundancy in threads too.
Oct 29, 2016 4:45 AM
Nov 2013
Yeah, that doesn't seem like a bad idea... It'd be like how people upvote comments on Reddit... That way only the most memorable responses get seen the most. Seems fair.
Oct 29, 2016 11:12 AM

Feb 2010
@rhaphazard
Why not create a poll with a "yes" and "no"? It's working/implemented/etc.
Oct 29, 2016 4:15 PM

Jun 2016
Idk polls already do that, it'd be really difficult to add a voting system as they would have to change the forums a lot.
Oct 29, 2016 9:15 PM

May 2010
That's a good idea, often some good suggestions are forgotten if no one bumps the old thread every now and then :< Upvote system could work in this part of the forum imo.
Oct 29, 2016 10:17 PM

Jan 2015
I don't think suggestions are forgotten. I don't know who does coding for the website, but considering the recent forum post is messed up, I think the staff is small. They only do the best of the best suggestions, and something like upvoting probably isn't a priority. Also, be careful what you call "easy to implement" cause a lot of stuff looks simple, but at its core is incredibly complex. Plus there was already a post on this.
A review moderator posted
Veronin said:
This isn't Reddit. We already have enough idiots trying to be witty for profile clicks.

Also A link to the thread I got this from
Oct 30, 2016 6:45 AM
Community Admin
sunny moment

May 2010
WisestOne said:
I don't think suggestions are forgotten. I don't know who does coding for the website, but considering the recent forum post is messed up, I think the staff is small. They only do the best of the best suggestions, and something like upvoting probably isn't a priority. Also, be careful what you call "easy to implement" cause a lot of stuff looks simple, but at its core is incredibly complex. Plus there was already a post on this.
Veronin said:
This isn't Reddit. We already have enough idiots trying to be witty for profile clicks.

That's more for forum posts in general. This is just about the suggestions.

I personally don't mind it cause it's more like seeing all the polls at a glance. I wouldn't hold my breath about this being added though.

Otherwise, for the moment you can get a rough idea of a feature request's popularity just by the number of posts it has in it.
Nov 1, 2016 7:53 PM

Feb 2008
Tensho said:
WisestOne said:

That's more for forum posts in general. This is just about the suggestions.

I personally don't mind it cause it's more like seeing all the polls at a glance. I wouldn't hold my breath about this being added though.

Otherwise, for the moment you can get a rough idea of a feature request's popularity just by the number of posts it has in it.

I think that's part of the problem though. The number of comments doesn't necessarily equate popularity (or usefulness), and some of the threads in other posts have suffered from the actual conversation being drowned out by people chiming in merely to support the idea.

I think the way Hacker News and Stack Overflow have implementing their voting systems are well thought out and a good model to follow.

What technologies do you use?
I do a bit of coding for fun. Maybe I could help (as a low-priority side project)?
Nov 2, 2016 5:20 AM

Nov 2014
Not this antisocial thread again. This is a suggestion forum for DISCUSSING, not some FB post. If you have an opinion you should say it even if its a yes or no, so others would see what kind of creature are you, newbie, veteran or you just created the account that day... etc.

And that little retarded button can be seriously abused (thats why it got removed from other places). And its not like if a suggestion would have 100 supporters, then that suggestion would get implemented.

The real reason why there are threads like that is because no matter how good/innovative the suggestion is THIS IS MAL, so you shouldnt expect anything... or maybe after 8 years.

rhaphazard said:

I think that's part of the problem though. The number of comments doesn't necessarily equate popularity (or usefulness), and some of the threads in other posts have suffered from the actual conversation being drowned out by people chiming in merely to support the idea.
So it would be better, if the threadswould not have any conversation, just a text saying "20 other ppl support this"? Thats not how you do a conversation
Nov 4, 2016 12:21 AM

Feb 2008
Delenai said:
Not this antisocial thread again. This is a suggestion forum for DISCUSSING, not some FB post. If you have an opinion you should say it even if its a yes or no, so others would see what kind of creature are you, newbie, veteran or you just created the account that day... etc.

And that little retarded button can be seriously abused (thats why it got removed from other places). And its not like if a suggestion would have 100 supporters, then that suggestion would get implemented.

Your two arguments seem to be conflicting. If the admin has final say in what is implemented in the end, why does it matter if a suggestion gets upvoted?

The real reason why there are threads like that is because no matter how good/innovative the suggestion is THIS IS MAL, so you shouldnt expect anything... or maybe after 8 years.

I don't think that's a very useful way to look at it. The forums do look active for the most part, and the people who are active seem to care about the community.

As long as the people who care stay active (which they should whether there is a voting system or not), it shouldn't devolve into the chaos you seem to fear so much.

There are so many examples of "forums" that maintain a great dialogue among its users while still making use of a voting system. I don't think fear of a possiblity of "antisocial" behaviour is a good enough reason to not implement is a feature that is immediately useful and doesn't seem to cause a problem on other well-maintained platforms.
Nov 4, 2016 6:59 AM

Nov 2014
rhaphazard said:
Your two arguments seem to be conflicting. If the admin has final say in what is implemented in the end, why does it matter if a suggestion gets upvoted?
No idea how you that the 2 statement contradict each other... 1st statement stated my standing in the matter (which is aganist), 2nd statement said, even if its get implemented it wouldn't do any good (I'm talking about a hypothetical case, and still not supporting the idea)

And like you said the mods will decide if it gets implemented or not, and not hte number of likes. Thats not why I'm aganist it. I'm aganist it because with this many threads would not have any conversation, everyone could vote anonymously (they do it now woth alt account too, but still at least you know its an alt account), and users with multiaccs could vote up a thread easily (well not like it would do anything, but still)

I don't think that's a very useful way to look at it. The forums do look active for the most part, and the people who are active seem to care about the community.
Thars not a way of looking, thats a fact. And yes, many ppl care about things here, the problem is that most devs don't care about it at all.

As long as the people who care stay active (which they should whether there is a voting system or not), it shouldn't devolve into the chaos you seem to fear so much.
I rather care about those, who read these threads, but they would vote anonym rather than sound they opinion.

There are so many examples of "forums" that maintain a great dialogue among its users while still making use of a voting system. I don't think fear of a possiblity of "antisocial" behaviour is a good enough reason to not implement is a feature that is immediately useful and doesn't seem to cause a problem on other well-maintained platforms.
Where? Here on MAL? If thats the case I don't know I don't read casual threads, but polls and shit still belong there, not here.
Or are you talking about other sites? Its better not to compare MAL to other websites because of obvious reason (which is those are 2 different websites)

PS: And like others said you could do polls (which I still hate to see here in the suggestion thread)
DelenaiNov 4, 2016 7:13 AM
Nov 5, 2016 12:07 AM

Feb 2008
Delenai said:

And like you said the mods will decide if it gets implemented or not, and not hte number of likes. Thats not why I'm aganist it. I'm aganist it because with this many threads would not have any conversation, everyone could vote anonymously (they do it now woth alt account too, but still at least you know its an alt account), and users with multiaccs could vote up a thread easily (well not like it would do anything, but still)

I have yet to see an upvote system that doesn't have active threads.
A better user experience begets more participation. Artificially restricting usability doesn't make discussion better, and in many cases makes it worse for those who are already active participants.

Thars not a way of looking, thats a fact. And yes, many ppl care about things here, the problem is that most devs don't care about it at all.

The developers/moderators don't care about forum activity?

I rather care about those, who read these threads, but they would vote anonym rather than sound they opinion.

It really shouldn't matter whether a vote is anonymous or not.

Where? Here on MAL? If thats the case I don't know I don't read casual threads, but polls and shit still belong there, not here.
Or are you talking about other sites? Its better not to compare MAL to other websites because of obvious reason (which is those are 2 different websites)

PS: And like others said you could do polls (which I still hate to see here in the suggestion thread)

Isn't the whole point of this Suggestions topic to figure out how to make the website better? What's the point of trying to keep things the same just because that's the way it is?

I don't believe in しょうがない

More topics from this board

Poll: » Add list setting to make notes private (on public lists)

S_h_a_r_k_93 - Nov 12, 2022

25 by anonymate »»
Yesterday, 9:57 PM

» Add number of episodes and number of members in the advanced search.

Yacine2104 - Jan 10

8 by Alexioos95 »»
Yesterday, 12:26 PM

» Local Language districts

kuroneko99 - Apr 22

5 by Luchipher-Zen »»
Apr 23, 1:02 PM

Poll: » Change picture of favorite character ( 1 2 )

gehoti2822 - Nov 12, 2022

60 by AgravityBoy »»
Apr 23, 9:09 AM

» Corporate images

Noctisnox - May 15, 2023

19 by himanshi122 »»
Apr 19, 5:51 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.