Forum Settings
Forums

FUNimation to License Dragon Ball Kai (Confirmed)

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
 
#1
Feb 2, 2010 10:59 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 1250
According to Navarre, FUNimation confirmed its licensed for Dragon Ball Kai. The confirmation was revealed by Navarre during its Q3 2010 earning conference call. FUNimation's Official Blog has already posted Dragon ball Kai's logo as a sign of the confirmation.

Sources
FUNimation Blog
Navarre

Story by ZerOne01
Modified by Panaru, Feb 2, 2010 11:00 PM
 
 
#2
Feb 2, 2010 11:05 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 5382
well duh....not surprised by this at all. funimation's rise to power and dbz's popularity can be considered to have been mutual.
 
#3
Feb 2, 2010 11:11 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 334
kisami said:
well duh....not surprised by this at all. funimation's rise to power and dbz's popularity can be considered to have been mutual.

Agreed. This is just another step on the ladder of power.
 
#4
Feb 2, 2010 11:15 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1144
Pw3age said:
kisami said:
well duh....not surprised by this at all. funimation's rise to power and dbz's popularity can be considered to have been mutual.

Agreed. This is just another step on the ladder of power.

This^^ fo shoo

On another note maybe I'll finally get around to watching now that I can just buy it when it comes out.
 
#5
Feb 2, 2010 11:18 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 611
not a surprise....and i submitted the exact same info as you but with different links 8 hours ago and they rejected it -.-
 
#6
Feb 2, 2010 11:27 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 276
rpn101 said:
not a surprise....and i submitted the exact same info as you but with different links 8 hours ago and they rejected it -.-


Oh different links? Dunno but maybe the links you gave are unacceptable?
btw, they got anime licensed again. Just wait for DVD then.


 
#7
Feb 2, 2010 11:50 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 957
As expected...

Hope they keep the VAs from Dragonball Z :D
This is a signature.
 
 
#8
Feb 2, 2010 11:57 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 560
Well I'm glad Travis Willingham will be playing Piccolo (he really needs more roles). Is Kai supposed to be a remastered version of the original series?

 
#9
Feb 3, 2010 12:36 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 5373
It was only a matter of time. Now that FUNi has grown compared to when DBZ was dubbed, they should really recast some of the characters rather than having Chris Sabat provide the voice for 15+ characters.

Yamine said:
Well I'm glad Travis Willingham will be playing Piccolo (he really needs more roles). Is Kai supposed to be a remastered version of the original series?
That list some random person posted isn't real, it's just his/her suggestion.

Kai is remastered HD, with only a few newly animated parts here and there, and was edited to remove all filler. Out of 42 episodes, they already cut it down to having about 45 less than DBZ.
Modified by Monochrome, Feb 3, 2010 12:42 AM
 
Feb 3, 2010 3:44 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 922
Yeah.. I knew it will happen.
 
Feb 3, 2010 4:08 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 634
i wonder why that took so long
but is that gonna pay out? after all there is nothing new in kai, right?
so, i dont think the ppl who already own the series wont buy it again just for the heck of it lol

in the depths of a mind insane
fantasy and reality are the same
 
Feb 3, 2010 5:22 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 192
yes!!!! now i dont have to watch crappy subtitles
 
Feb 3, 2010 6:26 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 380
Monochrome said:
It was only a matter of time. Now that FUNi has grown compared to when DBZ was dubbed, they should really recast some of the characters rather than having Chris Sabat provide the voice for 15+ characters.
Yeah exactly, but he should dub Vegeta & Piccolo at least.
 
 
Feb 3, 2010 7:55 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 647
figured they would XD
 
Feb 3, 2010 8:03 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 636
Here I go again...

The ocean dub DVDs, Funi's original DVD singles, the Dragonbox edition, Viz manga release, the Japanese manga and now DBKai. The DB franchise has taken a large shelf space in my room and I can't find myself resisting the temptation of owning a new release.

I do hope that Funi will get the Jump special and release Plan to destroy all Saiyans so my DBZ collection will be complete.
Kihel:"from Dianna Soreil to Dianna Soreil."
Dianna: "from Kihel Heim to Kihel Heim."
 
 
Feb 3, 2010 8:51 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 9512
Awesome! I can't wait to watch it, if they either show it on TV or just release it on DVD.
 
Feb 3, 2010 9:24 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 2097
Duh.

I like the idea of Chris Sabat playing everyone on the show, he is who we know as almost everyone. Just keep who you can please.
My anime list
 
Feb 3, 2010 10:43 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 76
This is expected. They have nearly every other dragonball anime so might as well get kai as well.
 
Feb 3, 2010 10:54 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 309
reading this news has made my mood go over 9000!!!!
 
Feb 3, 2010 12:06 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 3339
well no surprise here
 
 
Feb 3, 2010 12:35 PM
Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 197
no surprise!!! so that's why suppido have stopped subbing it ..... now have to wait for taka to sub from ep 40 onwards
 
Feb 3, 2010 1:12 PM
Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 1134
While I agree that DB Kai is nothing new, this is good for ppl new to the Dragonball franchise. I'm happy with Z. I mean, I grew up with it.

It's gonna be weird for the awesome voice cast to re-dub everything.
 
Feb 3, 2010 4:05 PM
Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 168
Are they really going to redub with a brand new cast? I need some proof because thats just rediculous. Sean Schemmel IS goku.
 
Feb 3, 2010 9:23 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 7546
Seriously? They will not sell well at all.
 
Feb 4, 2010 9:05 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 636
Drunk_Samurai said:
Seriously? They will not sell well at all.


I know many people who were discouraged from viewing DBZ due to the fillers, so Kai will be like a Godsend to them. Those who prefer the manga pace might get it as well.
Kihel:"from Dianna Soreil to Dianna Soreil."
Dianna: "from Kihel Heim to Kihel Heim."
 
Feb 4, 2010 3:04 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 7546
Raven_Shinobi said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
Seriously? They will not sell well at all.


I know many people who were discouraged from viewing DBZ due to the fillers, so Kai will be like a Godsend to them. Those who prefer the manga pace might get it as well.


They lied to everybody about HD animation. The only thing that was in HD was the opening and endings. Nobody is going to buy a show they have already bought.
 
 
Feb 4, 2010 4:12 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 1169
Drunk_Samurai said:
Seriously? They will not sell well at all.

Just wait and see.
 
Feb 4, 2010 10:29 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 611
ZerOne01 said:
rpn101 said:
not a surprise....and i submitted the exact same info as you but with different links 8 hours ago and they rejected it -.-


Oh different links? Dunno but maybe the links you gave are unacceptable?
btw, they got anime licensed again. Just wait for DVD then.


nah i'm pretty sure that a link to animenewsnetwork is acceptable xD anyway i wonder what the quality will be like being on a t.v.
 
Feb 19, 2010 12:52 PM
Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 1
I kind of hope they care enough to do with the dub what was done with FullMetal Alchemist, where they got voice actors from different regions, not just one. IE, some awesome actors from LA, but also getting Vancouver god, Scott McNeil. Speaking of Scotty, I personally would prefer him as Piccolo. It was the Ocean Dub I remember seeing as a kid, but everyone's experience is different. Just saying, for me, Scott McNeil IS Piccolo and Sean Schemmel IS Goku. I can die happy if their in the dub.

Still, despite my hopes, I'm not terribly optimistic about that.
 
Mar 19, 2010 5:31 PM
Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1
Anyone know when will it be out?
 
Mar 28, 2010 2:27 PM
Offline
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 15
No surprise here.. Though there is NO WAY that I will watch the dubbed version. In fact. I like dragonball Kai way better: it's 49 episodes ahead already. the voices are in japanese and the subtitles are great! I am sticking to subs.. dubs can die in my opinion :S
 
Mar 29, 2010 12:04 PM
Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 111
Drunk_Samurai said:
They lied to everybody about HD animation. The only thing that was in HD was the opening and endings. Nobody is going to buy a show they have already bought.

I'm buying it on BD. Of course I don't own it already because there's too many fucking episodes in Z.
mb5 said:
Anyone know when will it be out?

First DVD and BD sets come out in May with 13 or 15 episodes... I don't remember which. Second set date hasn't been set yet.
 
 
Mar 30, 2010 11:17 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1241
mitamaking said:
Duh.

I like the idea of Chris Sabat playing everyone on the show, he is who we know as almost everyone. Just keep who you can please.

Ditto
 
May 15, 2010 9:10 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 271
Drunk_Samurai said:
Nobody is going to buy a show they have already bought.


Tell that to my friend who's collected literally every set of DBZ Funi has put out. The original VHS, the single DVDs, the canceled 'uncut' dvds, the orange boxsets, the dragon boxes... no doubt she'll get Kai too.
 
Jun 27, 2010 4:22 AM
Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 18065
I chuckled at the added "Z", just in case no one knows where Kai came from.
 
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.