Forum Settings
Forums

How can big mangakas with popular anime be pressured?

New
Oct 7, 2016 8:16 AM

Jan 2015
So obviously manga publishers and big multi-million anime studios have the power to influence, pressure and make mangakas rush things out. But if the mangas work is really succesfull, both on manga and anime level, being in the top almost every week, why is it in the studios interest?
I will bring naruto up as an example. The ending is clearly rushed, full of plotholes, unanswered questions etc. And Kishimoto himself said that he was kind of pressured.
Why? Why did WSJ want naruto to end, being it was in their top3 most selling manga? -I didn't check actual data for this, but I can't think of any other WSJ with more sales than naruto other than OP.
BestBoiErenOct 7, 2016 2:02 PM
Oct 7, 2016 9:05 AM

Feb 2013
SkullProX said:
And Kishimoto himself said that he was kind of pressured.
hm.. from this faq http://www.mymangamarathon.com/2014/12/80-questions-masashi-kishimoto-left-unanswered-naruto-manga.html#78-_Was_Kishimoto_editorially_forced_to_end_his_story_and_start_a_rebranding_process_with_the_next_gen_story_of_Boruto_and_Sarada

"78.- Was Kishimoto editorially forced to end his story, and start a rebranding process with the next gen story of Boruto and Sarada?

Answers: This is what he said at NYCC. But personally, I don’t buy all of it. He probably got tired on his own story, the direction it was going and the pressure from fans, Shonen Jump editors and Studio Pierrot pulling him apart from everywhere. That’s why he wanted to end it relatively with a bang."
Oct 7, 2016 9:21 AM

Jan 2015
romagia said:
SkullProX said:
And Kishimoto himself said that he was kind of pressured.
hm.. from this faq http://www.mymangamarathon.com/2014/12/80-questions-masashi-kishimoto-left-unanswered-naruto-manga.html#78-_Was_Kishimoto_editorially_forced_to_end_his_story_and_start_a_rebranding_process_with_the_next_gen_story_of_Boruto_and_Sarada

"78.- Was Kishimoto editorially forced to end his story, and start a rebranding process with the next gen story of Boruto and Sarada?

Answers: This is what he said at NYCC. But personally, I don’t buy all of it. He probably got tired on his own story, the direction it was going and the pressure from fans, Shonen Jump editors and Studio Pierrot pulling him apart from everywhere. That’s why he wanted to end it relatively with a bang."

You just proved my point? "Pressure from fans, shounen jump editos and studio pierrot"
Oct 7, 2016 9:48 AM

Dec 2015
@SkullProX
This happened with Erased. The mangaka was pressured to rush the manga ending to be used for the anime which in turn they never even used for the anime. The manga ending wasn't bad, but it could have been better if they hadn't rushed him. I would have been pissed if I was Sanbe Kei because the studio made him rush his ending in the manga and then didn't even use it and made the ending of the anime worse on top of that. It is like a double slap in the face.
CejaraOct 7, 2016 10:00 AM
Oct 7, 2016 10:05 AM

May 2015
SkullProX said:
romagia said:

You just proved my point? "Pressure from fans, shounen jump editos and studio pierrot"
Yes, he proved your point that WSJ and fans do exert pressure on the mangakas but on the contrary WSJ wanted Naruto to continue in order to milk it more.
Interestingly enough, Kishimoto admitted that there was SOME SORT OF PRESSURE from the publisher for the series to not end. “I would be lying if I said that there wasn’t some pressure from management,” Kishimoto replied. “But I had a pretty clear idea of how I wanted the story to come to a close, and I had to put my foot down and say, ‘No, I’m sorry, this is it.’

Tite Kubo was forced to finish Bleach with a warnin of 3 chapters which is laughable given how slowly the story was progressing and all of a sudden it ended XD
But that's the result of poor pool results for a long time and not so good relations between the mangaka and his editor/publisher.

I think your title misses something as it feels incomplete. Did you mean "being pressured"?
zalOct 7, 2016 10:12 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 7, 2016 2:04 PM

Jan 2015
@zal Yes my bad, edited the title.
Well, idk, If I would be an author with a well selling manga I wouldn't let anyone ruin my story... seems like all that years of work going to waste if the ending is bad...

More topics from this board

» Digitalization of the modern world and anime

RobertBobert - Yesterday

39 by BeastyAnimefan »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » The most overrated characters that everyone loves ( 1 2 3 )

Lizz_Aleister - Dec 1, 2020

102 by LoveYourEyes »»
9 minutes ago

» The best 3 animes you've ever seen? ( 1 2 )

Hachii13 - Mar 5

76 by Hitagi__Furude »»
11 minutes ago

» show me your anime 3x3 ( 1 2 )

707supremacist - May 5

97 by MHRX_999 »»
20 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9085 by anime-prime »»
32 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.