Forum Settings
Forums

All reviews and rating are bias, there's no objectivity. stop over valuing ratings

New
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Sep 24, 2016 3:18 PM

May 2015
kamisama751 said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

Both quality and value are judgments, not physical things you can measure.

As if only physical things can be measures or anything. And I want to know how qualit is a subjective judgement when it is an characteristic of an object. If you see an asian then that person is an asian. That's a fact, whether it is a judgement or not doesn't matter.

You're using 'quality' as in 'trait'. I used it as 'value' as in, this chocolate is of high quality.

Yes, only physical things can be measured. A table can be 50 meters wide or 100 meters wide. It can only be 'big' though, compared to some standards - the average table, an ant, the house it's in and so forth.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Sep 24, 2016 4:15 PM

Jun 2016
Well, all values in the world are subjective. All are socially constructed. So, why care about anything?
Sep 25, 2016 12:16 AM

May 2015
kamisama751 said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

You're using 'quality' as in 'trait'. I used it as 'value' as in, this chocolate is of high quality.

Yes, only physical things can be measured. A table can be 50 meters wide or 100 meters wide. It can only be 'big' though, compared to some standards - the average table, an ant, the house it's in and so forth.

Then tell me how it is possible to measure voltage, time and light intensity. Sorry but I can't agree with this at all. There is a fundmental error in this mindset.

Voltage is measured in jolts. Time is measured in seconds, minutes, hours.

Where's the fundamental error?
Sep 25, 2016 2:53 AM

Jul 2013
TheBrainintheJar said:
kamisama751 said:

Then tell me how it is possible to measure voltage, time and light intensity. Sorry but I can't agree with this at all. There is a fundmental error in this mindset.

The thing is those aren't physical objects. They're non-matters or concepts measured through apparatuses.
Sep 25, 2016 3:18 AM

May 2015
Tenshi_Shura said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

The thing is those aren't physical objects. They're non-matters or concepts measured through apparatuses.

The fact you can measure them through apparatuses shows they're real. They have practical implications. They're not an opinion.
Sep 25, 2016 3:33 AM
Mar 2014
kamisama751 said:
omfgplzstop said:

No one was actually talking about the subject of qualities as characteristics before you brought it up. The only quality people were discussing was the quality of being "good".

And yes, like with anything we perceive, saying a red paper is red is a subjective judgment. This fact is less problematic when it comes to things like red paper where there's a consensus of most people's opinions, but much more relevant when it comes to art, where any aspect of the consumer's identity could change the eventual judgment.

How you perceive is subjective because that comes from a subject. But how it is is objective because it is the fixed/absolute quality of an object. Yes, an artwork is an object. Still, a black guy in a show is a black guy in the show. Character X died is character X died. Its characteristics are objective. What type of a show, what messages it wants to deliver and anything else are also objective and won't change becaus ethey are all part of the show. A human being is just not competent enough to fully understand all of it, while also blinded by its own narrow view.

More like, as a human being reliant on your subjective perception, you cannot determine whether this is how the object objectively is or if it's just how you subjectively interpret it.
demonskul777 said:
omfgplzstop said:

More than that, whether or not those things add up to a meaningful message and whether or not the music outbalances the voice acting and sound effects are both clear examples of things dependant on the subjective interpretation. lol

demonskul777 said:

stop saying what i said with different words

demonskul777 said:

It's more of a fact to prove that I was wrong rather than anything else. the smiley might make it sound sarcastic though.

you're late and also bad at reading comprehension

Also. "you can't even hear the voices" "lol whatever. the music isn't outbalancing it. lolololol" ??? if you can barely hear anything that happens because of the music, the mixing is bad. period

For you it might be bad, for someone who only cares about the music it will be great. I wasn't late and I fail to see how I'm bad at reading comprehension, considering I haven't even replied to anything you said. All I did was mention something you seemed to have missed to clarify for anyone who might get confused reading the exchange.

It seems that you're still missing the point, though. Or just illogically insisting on trying to force people to agree that what you deem as bad is something they must also deem as bad.
Rinth said:
Every opinion is not equal. Some opinions are simply made out of shit.

nasuverse > your favorite anime
Sep 25, 2016 3:34 AM

Jan 2016
AltoRoark said:
Subjectivity =/= immune to judgement. Please stop this bullshit.

All reviews and ratings are bias, there's no objectivity. stop over valuing ratings. I rated Gintama 10 and The Tatami Galaxy 10, that doesn't mean they are equal. These ratings shouldn't be used as a quantifier of what a "Masterpiece" is. By this I mean just because Gintama is number 3 shouldn't suggest that it's better than all the series below it.

Excuse me, "masterpiece" isn't objective to begin with. What I rate high is subjectively better than what i rated low.

Well spoken sir. Every review are bias and its based upon the reviewers point of view since it is "his or her opinion". If i call something "masterpice" that means it is my opinon and bias at the same time.
Sep 25, 2016 5:02 AM

Aug 2014
omfgplzstop said:
kamisama751 said:

How you perceive is subjective because that comes from a subject. But how it is is objective because it is the fixed/absolute quality of an object. Yes, an artwork is an object. Still, a black guy in a show is a black guy in the show. Character X died is character X died. Its characteristics are objective. What type of a show, what messages it wants to deliver and anything else are also objective and won't change becaus ethey are all part of the show. A human being is just not competent enough to fully understand all of it, while also blinded by its own narrow view.

More like, as a human being reliant on your subjective perception, you cannot determine whether this is how the object objectively is or if it's just how you subjectively interpret it.
demonskul777 said:

you're late and also bad at reading comprehension

Also. "you can't even hear the voices" "lol whatever. the music isn't outbalancing it. lolololol" ??? if you can barely hear anything that happens because of the music, the mixing is bad. period

For you it might be bad, for someone who only cares about the music it will be great. I wasn't late and I fail to see how I'm bad at reading comprehension, considering I haven't even replied to anything you said. All I did was mention something you seemed to have missed to clarify for anyone who might get confused reading the exchange.

It seems that you're still missing the point, though. Or just illogically insisting on trying to force people to agree that what you deem as bad is something they must also deem as bad.

I already said that I was wrong and that it's not objectivity though? Like I'm not going to keep repeating myself.

Yes, that's my opinion; I'm stating it in a matter-of-fact way to sound more convincing, that's how discussions work. "It's bad" == "I think it's bad", but I'm not going to do that. That sounds like I'm doubting and you can't sound like you are doubtfull in a discussion or you are guaranteed to lose, so I'm not going to start saying shit like that.

I also referred to my own response as petty, and not to be taken personal:

1. You're late because I already had this discussion in this thread. And, yes, you couldn't know that, I know, I just don't want to have to say the same things over and over again.

2. I only said you were bad at reading comprehension because you missed the fact that that statement wasn't sarcastic and instead assumed I wanted to prove that "'objectivity does exist". I didnn't. I just said "yeah, they could". Because they could. that's all.

Like I shouldn't have to explain this tbh.
Sep 25, 2016 7:16 AM
Nov 2015
romagia said:
you don't understand i wanna sheet on the bed bananya is the real masterpiece of this year, it has 10-10-10-9 top reviews

I like your idea :)
HxH has 4 10/10 top review. But still some people gave it a 1-5/10 saying the quality drops. You can sense it drop especially in the Chimera arc. It was shit lol.

The idea of the thread isn't wrong at all.

One Punch Man has higher rating than most of the shows and isn't better.
Fairy Tail has a better Rating than Bleach & Naruto. Bleach has 45% filler & Naruto has +200 episodes of filler (I pressume). But there's no way Fairy Tail is more than half as good as them.

The rating isn't objective at all. It changes depending on the culture. Boku no Hero was "The Most Dissapointing Anime of Spring 2016" and Ururacha was "The Most Annyoing Shounen Girl" and the 2nd was "Kagura" from Gintama. And here, it's the opposite. The rating can't even represent the MAL Community's actual rating since there're lazy people who can't find the motivation to update their anime/manga list (The typical me !).

So the rating in a nutshell is "EVIL".
Sep 25, 2016 7:47 AM
Mar 2014
demonskul777 said:
omfgplzstop said:

I already said that I was wrong and that it's not objectivity though? Like I'm not going to keep repeating myself.

Yes, that's my opinion; I'm stating it in a matter-of-fact way to sound more convincing, that's how discussions work. "It's bad" == "I think it's bad", but I'm not going to do that. That sounds like I'm doubting and you can't sound like you are doubtfull in a discussion or you are guaranteed to lose, so I'm not going to start saying shit like that.

I also referred to my own response as petty, and not to be taken personal:

1. You're late because I already had this discussion in this thread. And, yes, you couldn't know that, I know, I just don't want to have to say the same things over and over again.

2. I only said you were bad at reading comprehension because you missed the fact that that statement wasn't sarcastic and instead assumed I wanted to prove that "'objectivity does exist". I didnn't. I just said "yeah, they could". Because they could. that's all.

Like I shouldn't have to explain this tbh.

I didn't assume that, though, which is why I didn't understand why you said that. -Like I said, all I did was address the parts in your post that could confuse others.

I'm not late because, again, I was clarifying parts of that specific post.

You're the one who chose to explain this, despite it being irrelevant. Don't feign ignorance; in a discussion where all participants are aware of what's being discussed, wording it as 'it's bad period' after most people have agreed it doesn't work that way is confusing to some and irritating to others, but not very productive either way.

kamisama751 said:
omfgplzstop said:

As a human being you can determine it, just not fully and sometimes you are misinterpreting it.

But that aside, no matter if you, as a human being, actually can determine it or not, the object is how it is. Its quality is unaffected no matter your interpretation.

What I said was that you can't know if you're misinterpreting it. With things that we have tested and determined the qualities of, while those qualities are not 100% objectively guaranteed to be their true qualities, we can rely on them to have those qualities or at least what we consider those qualities (sugar is sweet, red is red, etc.).
We don't have any lenghty experience with specific qualities in art since every quality comprising it is made out of so many different things that could each affect your subjective experience differently, so we can't rely on stuff to work for us because they worked for others.
Rinth said:
Every opinion is not equal. Some opinions are simply made out of shit.

nasuverse > your favorite anime
Sep 25, 2016 7:53 AM

Aug 2014
@omfgplzstop

I already explained that I was being petty, so I have nothing to add.
Sep 25, 2016 9:03 AM

Jul 2014
"Ah shit, Kimi no na wa triggered Gintama fanbase, time to downvote the movie!"
Sep 25, 2016 3:46 PM

Jun 2016
Bulmakur said:

An opinion is biased.

And where is it implied that an biased and subjective point of view isn't the most correct?

Also, who determines the scale of how much bias and subjectivity tip the "absolute" value of a show?

Ofcourse we are all biased, you'd have to be braindead not to be biased, but that does not affect your ability to attempt to get as close to objectivity as you can.

If someone can't distinguish the difference in overall qualities from say Taboo Tatoo to say, Full Metal Alchemist, he besides biased, is probably mentally challenged.
One can create tools to circumvent bias, not totally though as you will never reach absolute objectivity, but you can get pretty darn close.
Sep 25, 2016 5:55 PM
Nov 2014
Flamian said:
Bulmakur said:

An opinion is biased.

And where is it implied that an biased and subjective point of view isn't the most correct?

Also, who determines the scale of how much bias and subjectivity tip the "absolute" value of a show?

Ofcourse we are all biased, you'd have to be braindead not to be biased, but that does not affect your ability to attempt to get as close to objectivity as you can.

If someone can't distinguish the difference in overall qualities from say Taboo Tatoo to say, Full Metal Alchemist, he besides biased, is probably mentally challenged.
One can create tools to circumvent bias, not totally though as you will never reach absolute objectivity, but you can get pretty darn close.

The correctness of your opinion depends on you and the person you are giving it to. It is up to each of you to accept if it's correct or incorrect.

LMAO you're so persistent in trying to prove that objectivity exist but your arguments are weak asf. It doesn't matter how bias and subjective you are toward a series. Tho it would be great to speak with a sound mind when talking about a series.

Being braindead doesn't remove our bias. Our understanding, conditioning, perception, likes and dislikes cloud our our judgment. You have to think outside these things if you want to discuss without being completely bias/subjective. The problem tho is why should everyone have to do this? People should be free to judge how they want.

FMA is better than Taboo tattoo due to the general consensus. If one person thought Taboo tattoo was better than FMA, that wouldn't make them wrong. Clearly they have a reason for feeling that way. You have no right to force what you think is better on then. You can however have a discussion and try and understand each other. You might even be able to change their mind.

Also opinions can have merits regardless of how bias and subjective they are. I might disagree with your opinion, but I could also see the merit in it.
Sep 25, 2016 5:57 PM

May 2016
All reviews are subjective...except for mine, of course. I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, after all--every word that comes out of my mouth is unquestionable. Also my keyboard.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Sep 26, 2016 12:24 AM

May 2015
Bulmakur said:
Flamian said:

The correctness of your opinion depends on you and the person you are giving it to. It is up to each of you to accept if it's correct or incorrect.

LMAO you're so persistent in trying to prove that objectivity exist but your arguments are weak asf. It doesn't matter how bias and subjective you are toward a series. Tho it would be great to speak with a sound mind when talking about a series.

Being braindead doesn't remove our bias. Our understanding, conditioning, perception, likes and dislikes cloud our our judgment. You have to think outside these things if you want to discuss without being completely bias/subjective. The problem tho is why should everyone have to do this? People should be free to judge how they want.

FMA is better than Taboo tattoo due to the general consensus. If one person thought Taboo tattoo was better than FMA, that wouldn't make them wrong. Clearly they have a reason for feeling that way. You have no right to force what you think is better on then. You can however have a discussion and try and understand each other. You might even be able to change their mind.

Also opinions can have merits regardless of how bias and subjective they are. I might disagree with your opinion, but I could also see the merit in it.

An opinion by nature is biased. It is, after all, a subjective thing. If opinions can be objective, what's the object they measure?
Sep 26, 2016 12:40 AM

Oct 2010
"Getting close to objectivity". Are we really setting this standard? Come on. Objectivity is a bore. It nullifies personal judgement. It can't be discussed or doubted. And it can't be fully acknowledged apparently, because we are inherently biased and etc. And what is exactly the point of art if it doesn't appeal to our subjectivity? Does the intrinsic value of a film or a painting matter if it does not create an emotional attachment with the observer?

Not to mention that "objective quality" as shown here sounds like a dogma of faith more than anything. It is because it is. It's good because it's good.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts. ( 1 2 )

Pinoffin - Yesterday

54 by TsutanaiFuun »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » do you want more emotional or more intelligent anime?

deg - 1 hour ago

15 by Sorachin »»
6 minutes ago

» Is watching a show for the cute girl weird?

fallout45 - 8 hours ago

14 by Yuri-Crusader »»
8 minutes ago

Poll: » What tropes do you find the most annoying in a protagonist?

ZeroMajor12 - 27 minutes ago

7 by NubFix »»
10 minutes ago

Poll: » can anime influence your dark side?

deg - 3 hours ago

10 by Sorachin »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.