Forum Settings
Forums

Should I prefer simplicity and structure over intricate and clouded explanations?

New
Sep 11, 2016 5:45 PM

Feb 2014
I need advice on choosing between two professors, but I can`t seem to decide on one. Therefor, I`m asking the pseudo-intellectuals here on MAL (Great idea I know).

The first one seems to be very likable and is liked a lot by the majority of his students. He gives simple explanations and puts in a lot of effort to make it easy to understand.

The latter seems to go off topic and doesn`t use a clear structure in his lectures. He shows little interest in what he is teaching and wants to further his research instead, which he shows during class.

I`m leaning towards the second option, but what do you guys think?
Sep 11, 2016 5:52 PM

Aug 2015
I like simplicity.

I also like the kind of lecturer who has a grasp on the "art" of teaching.

There is no point in having knowledge as a teacher but not having the art skill to pass it on.

When I hear a lecture I am there to learn what i do not know. Plus, all of my lectures are undergraduate level, so i need simplicity; I just need to pass my subject, not study for a research degree.
idk about you but the closer a girl gets to looking like ronald mcdonald, the more aroused i become. CAV

where can we cast our eyes to @PoruMairu who thinks of himself a member of the true church. Helion.
Sep 11, 2016 5:56 PM

Aug 2016
Idiots_on_MAL said:
I need advice on choosing between two professors, but I can`t seem to decide on one. Therefor, I`m asking the pseudo-intellectuals here on MAL (Great idea I know).

The first one seems to be very likable and is liked a lot by the majority of his students. He gives simple explanations and puts in a lot of effort to make it easy to understand.

The latter seems to go off topic and doesn`t use a clear structure in his lectures. He shows little interest in what he is teaching and wants to further his research instead, which he shows during class.

not sure how you're leaning towards the second option but the first seems like a pretty clear and easy choice, unless you like making things difficult for yourself xD
Sep 11, 2016 6:02 PM

Feb 2014
Sywed said:

not sure how you're leaning towards the second option but the first seems like a pretty clear and easy choice, unless you like making things difficult for yourself xD

The general content is pretty easy to understand and I`ve covered most of it beforehand. I`m also more interested in learning about modern research.
I`m still insecure af and don`t know if that`s the right choice though.
Sep 11, 2016 6:12 PM

May 2016
Idiots_on_MAL said:
Sywed said:

The general content is pretty easy to understand and I`ve covered most of it beforehand. I`m also more interested in learning about modern research.
I`m still insecure af and don`t know if that`s the right choice though.

I'd say that if you were taking the class to learn what the class was supposed to cover, go with the first option. If you're confident you can keep up with the second professor, and you're interested in his/her research, then that'd probably be the better choice for you. You should probably make note of the average grades, though; even if you're interested in research, if he's going to make it almost impossible to pass the class, you're better off looking into that stuff later, in my opinion.
"Shocking truth!" ~Chaika Trabant
"How unpleasant." ~Kuriyama Mirai
"Whatever tomorrow brings, I'll be there." ~Rem
"You don't die for your friends; you live for them." ~Misaka Mikoto
"Now I believe. In my own strength... and in the one who gave me that strength." ~Roze
"I'll be the guard dog of all your fever dreams."
Signature and forum avatar courtesy of @SenpieX
Sep 11, 2016 6:13 PM

Aug 2016
Personal preference for me would be the teacher who prioritizes his students over his research.
People who put MAL stats in their sigs are losers lol
Sep 11, 2016 6:21 PM

Apr 2016
Idiots_on_MAL said:

This shouldn't be a question, but pick what suits you better.

Enen no Shouboutai - Joker
Sep 11, 2016 6:29 PM

Sep 2012
What field is it? What does each professor research?

Have you thought about approaching them and volunteering for their lab? Direct research experience as an undergrad will be much more valuable to you if you have research interests than simply taking a class with a certain professor.
Sep 11, 2016 9:11 PM

Oct 2012
Considering you listed only positive traits for the first professor and negative traits for the second professor, your choice is baffling unless there's something else you're not telling us.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Sep 11, 2016 9:49 PM

Jul 2012
Whichever one you think will help you learn better because I assume your paying for it.
Sep 11, 2016 9:54 PM

Nov 2009
Simplicity.

Being able to get an idea across to as many people as possible is a skill. One that most authors should aspire to, and why most text books are not written by professional writers.

Although then again, if you are planning to flunk the class either way, go with the second option since then when you blame the teacher, you will have people agreeing with you.
Sep 11, 2016 10:03 PM

Feb 2014
Red_Keys said:
What field is it? What does each professor research?

Have you thought about approaching them and volunteering for their lab? Direct research experience as an undergrad will be much more valuable to you if you have research interests than simply taking a class with a certain professor.

Both are involved in life sciences, but their work is not extremely significant to be honest. It´s a given that I want to do an internship for one of them though and the latter seems to show more interest in his own work.
Sep 11, 2016 10:33 PM

Nov 2015
What the fuck? you will not learn shit from the second professor even if he is involved in research. One who doesn't know how to teach simply cannot teach you anything. In College, you should be looking for mentors/guides rather than experiences.
Sep 11, 2016 10:35 PM

Sep 2009
You want the professor who's likely to give you an easier time getting an A.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Sep 12, 2016 3:45 AM

Aug 2015
Depends on what works best for you. If you prefer simple, go for the second professor. If you want more depth (although he may or may not be very inclined based on his personality from your description) go for the other professor.
Sep 12, 2016 5:28 AM
Jul 2018
If you think you can handle the second option, then absolutely go for that one.
Sep 12, 2016 6:29 AM

Jun 2016
Few people can learn things properly just by observing someone while working, you need a specific way of thinking for that I think.However, if you're one of those people then you might be a bit better off with the second option.
Sep 12, 2016 6:44 AM

Feb 2015
There are two kinds of college students: those who study just to wipe that paper on their asses later, and those who really know what they are up to.

Preferring it simple, easy and superficial shall let you pass the subject, but with profound teaching you will learn more. It's up to you.

If the professor can make his teaching easy to understand and at the same time profound, then you should probably go to that class. It's rare though.
Sep 12, 2016 7:08 AM

Dec 2013
The point of a teacher is to deliver you a vast a mount of information in an easy to understand manner, take the easy one and read up on whatever you feel lacking, the more work you put in the more you you'll be able to memorize

More topics from this board

» Are you going to apologize?

LenRea - Mar 25

27 by cody »»
6 minutes ago

» Who is the most perverted person you irl ?

Thy-Veseveia - 22 minutes ago

0 by Thy-Veseveia »»
22 minutes ago

» Manga piracy website operator ordered to pay ¥1.7 billion to publishers

Meusnier - Apr 19

24 by DreamWindow »»
29 minutes ago

» Do you think there should be an age limit on friendship?

Thy-Veseveia - Feb 28

41 by Merve2Love »»
1 hour ago

» Over the years, I began to be repulsed by pork, is there any explanation for this?

Absurdo_N - Mar 26

27 by Rhaelynne »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.