Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 31, 2016 11:53 AM
May 2015
Which anime started the trend of having sadistic characters? And why did they get so popular? How in Japan and not elsewhere does sadism work as humor?
Jul 31, 2016 1:39 PM

Feb 2013
possibly from go nagai's edgy shit like devil man ?_?
sadism is older than anime tho
i dont think its so popular, nor that sadism for humor (black comedy) is particularly japanese
Jul 31, 2016 2:05 PM

May 2016
JAPAN will always be the answer......................
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
Jul 31, 2016 8:28 PM
Dec 2015
In anime pop culture, it seems to be a given that a person is either more M or more S. A lot of otaku, including myself happen to be more M, so having more S type characters gives us more waifus~<3
Jul 31, 2016 8:46 PM

Oct 2015
It's so the masochistic guys can have waifus too.
Aug 1, 2016 1:28 AM

Nov 2009
Haneken2086 said:
How in Japan and not elsewhere does sadism work as humor?

Any kind of sexuality (including vanilla and asexuality) always works as humor. The show just has to present this as humorous.
Unless it's a male sadist and female masochist, in which case it risks looking too much like domestic abuse or rape. But with good directing, this can work as humor too.
Also, I have a feeling you might confuse boke-tsukkomi routine with sadomasochism.

Disclaimer. I have avoided watching Prison School.
Aug 1, 2016 2:02 AM

Feb 2013
flannan said:
Unless it's a male sadist and female masochist, in which case it risks looking too much like domestic abuse or rape. But with good directing, this can work as humor too.
it risks looking too much like you-know-which-5-rated-shoujo :V
romagiaAug 1, 2016 2:05 AM
Aug 1, 2016 2:05 AM

Nov 2009
romagia said:
flannan said:

I have no idea which shoujo you are talking about. "50 shades of gray" isn't an anime, right?
Aug 1, 2016 2:06 AM

Feb 2013
flannan said:
romagia said:

I have no idea which shoujo you are talking about. "50 shades of gray" isn't an anime, right?
diabolik lovers, everyone's favourite reverse harem
Aug 1, 2016 2:10 AM
Captain Eyepatch

Dec 2015
Ekaterina Kurae, from Seikon no Qwaser

Or Esdeath from Akame ga Kill
Aug 1, 2016 2:10 AM

Nov 2009
romagia said:
flannan said:

diabolik lovers, everyone's favourite reverse harem

Oh, I've heard of it, thank you you for the explanation.
But it wasn't meant to be humorous, right?
Aug 1, 2016 8:02 AM
May 2015
When I think of sadism, I think of Sougo Okita from Gintama.

I think he's a typical anime sadist, which is done for humor when it isn't really funny.

flannan said:
"50 shades of gray" isn't an anime, right?

Not yet.
Aug 1, 2016 8:07 AM

Aug 2015
Maybe if other countries weren't so strict with their censorship laws then we would get sadist characters from other countries as well

America was too strict with censorship which is what put them behind Japan in terms of comics and cartoons and why Japan is so much better, it was able to evolve into what we now call anime and manga

That also means that should other country's not have been too strict with their censorship then they'd be able to produce better stuff in terms of entertainment

Perhaps that's why we love anime so much. Because it's made by a country that isn't run by overprotective moms
Aug 1, 2016 8:09 AM

Aug 2015
flannan said:
Haneken2086 said:
How in Japan and not elsewhere does sadism work as humor?

Any kind of sexuality (including vanilla and asexuality) always works as humor. The show just has to present this as humorous.
Also, I have a feeling you might confuse boke-tsukkomi routine with sadomasochism.

Disclaimer. I have avoided watching Prison School.

Lol, sexist~

But in all seriousness, if female to male is okay then male to female should be okay as well

People are just dumb and sexist lol
Aug 1, 2016 8:21 AM

Aug 2015
Dinoe said:
Or Esdeath from Akame ga Kill

I think Sadism, at least in cases like Esdeath, are more for characterization. People, me, like to see how a character like Esdeath came to be. What made her so sadistic? It's something like this that can help make a character likable.

For comedy, it is only funny when there is a masochist.

Haneken2086 said:
flannan said:
"50 shades of gray" isn't an anime, right?

Not yet.

lol.
Everyone says anime is getting worse and nothing compares to the greats;

I say anime never stops getting better

More topics from this board

» So, what's the oldest anime you've ever watched?

Gashadokur0 - Today

43 by TsutanaiFuun »»
21 seconds ago

» Will we get more anime's that reflect "Stoner Comedy"?

GoatPieceLuffy - 7 hours ago

28 by TsutanaiFuun »»
2 minutes ago

» Spring 2024 Mid-Season Ranking

NoelleIsSleepy - 1 hour ago

9 by Prupel1 »»
14 minutes ago

» Ever thought an anime was a MASTERPIECE, then changed your mind? Or vice versa?

Rhae - 2 hours ago

3 by rey_n »»
16 minutes ago

» Who is the most overrated villain in anime?

The-Wombat - 2 hours ago

3 by shyam_patel »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.