Forum Settings
Forums

Is the anime community really connected and open?

New
Jul 8, 2016 2:51 PM

Jun 2015
I've been following anime since the late 90s and have been going to AX and SDCC for like forever. I notice that although there are group meetups here and there, the anime community is so diverse that people don't seem as connected or open. Waiting in line, a lot of people are just so serious, or upset of course waiting in the heat that they forget to meet new people, smile and strike up small talk whether it be about anime, video games or whatever. It maybe a generational thing where people are social only on social media but are complete introverts IRL. What are your thoughts?
Jul 8, 2016 5:09 PM

Nov 2009
It varies from person to person, just like everything else. I am an introvert and tend to be awkward when meeting new people, although I would say I still like to in spite of my awkwardness. I also have met people on MAL with the purpose of being friends IRL (successfully). However, not everyone is as open as me, and that is to be expected because not all anime fans are created equally, just like all doctors are not created equally. There are so many people in the fandom that you can't really pin down traits other than "enjoys anime."

As for people being serious or angry in lines...well, if they've been in line for a long time, people tend to get tired, their hype may die down, and they may get irritated. This is typical of any long line ever.

TL;DR Not everyone likes talking to strangers, and waiting in lines can suck. However, there are some that enjoy meeting others. Just respect the feelings of the people you try to talk to.
Jul 8, 2016 5:37 PM
Aug 2014
Whenever i meet other anime watchers in real life its alot of fun to talk to them. All i met so far are very enthusiastic about this hobby and love to talk about it.
The difficult part seems to be identifying those people since most people are more or less closet watchers. If you dont bring it up then youll never know they watch, and if they never bring it up theyll propably dont know about me either because i got the same habit

Interrrrrpetgyu said:
Yes, we're a very loving and accepting community.

Shut up you fucking faggot.
Jul 8, 2016 5:44 PM

Oct 2013
leNerd said:
The difficult part seems to be identifying those people since most people are more or less closet watchers. If you dont bring it up then youll never know they watch, and if they never bring it up theyll propably dont know about me either because i got the same habit
that's why you should wear anime merchandise that look normal but a otaku would instantly recognize
For example I wear a necklace from my favorite show whenever I go outside
Jul 8, 2016 5:52 PM
Aug 2014
Deknijff said:
that's why you should wear anime merchandise that look normal but a otaku would instantly recognize
For example I wear a necklace from my favorite show whenever I go outside

I have a Attack on Titan backpack im using for almost 2 years now and in all that time i only got one person talking to me about it
Maybe its just that im ugly or i smell or something
Jul 8, 2016 5:55 PM

Oct 2013
leNerd said:
I have a Attack on Titan backpack im using for almost 2 years now and in all that time i only got one person talking to me about it
Maybe its just that im ugly or i smell or something
or perhaps they don't like Attack on Titan
Jul 8, 2016 5:57 PM

Jun 2016
When I went to an anime convention some people were really shy or awkward

Others looked like they didn't want to be talked too

Then there are others that were really friendly and open that I made friends with

Really depends on the person and their mood
Jul 8, 2016 6:02 PM
Feb 2014
Too clunky and balkanized to really call it connected. No.
Jul 8, 2016 6:08 PM

Sep 2013
Waifu wars, elitism and power level discussions are serious business man, this is no joke.
Jul 8, 2016 6:41 PM

Dec 2012
No, of course we're not connected and open, here I'll demonstrate:

Fuck you faggot, get off my board.
"Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream!"

- George W. Bush
Jul 9, 2016 1:49 AM

May 2015
Oh man, you haven't been to Israel. The anime community here is so happy other nerdoms kind of dislike us.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things

More topics from this board

» What is the point of forums?

cosmosreceiver - 11 hours ago

21 by Adverrito »»
22 minutes ago

» Who has the oldest account on these forums?

blueblur - 2 hours ago

2 by blueblur »»
1 hour ago

» How do you like your coffee? ( 1 2 )

Kvistis - Feb 8

72 by Yudesei »»
2 hours ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

732 by Hitagi__Furude »»
2 hours ago

» Did you ever cut ties with a family member or friend?

Sad - Today

19 by pludel2 »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.