Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 13, 2016 6:31 AM
Mar 2016
Yo Minna!
I wanted to ask the definition/Meaning of Slice of life anime. i have watched Barakamon and Non Non Biyori, but never understand ed the true meaning behind it.
Thanks in advance!
Jun 13, 2016 6:39 AM

May 2016
A slice-of-life anime revolves around us exploring the daily lives of our main characters. This can include anything from watching a group of high-schoolers go about their high-school routine, to following a group of people in the afterlife coming to terms with their own deaths. There can be a plot in these types of shows, but it's not the central focus--the central focus is the minutia of these characters' lives, and their interactions with one another. There are three distinct categories of slice-of-life:

Vanilla: This is basically exactly what I just described. Examples include Azumanga Daioh, Bakuman, NANA, and Angel Beats.

Cute Girls Doing Cute Things: Just like it says on the tin, this type of show follows a group of girls as they spend their time doing things which can be construed as being cute. Examples include K-On!, Sansha Sanyou, Aria the Animation, and Girls und Panzer.

Iyashikei: Japanese for 'healing,' this type of slice-of-life show focuses on giving the viewer a relaxing or, well, healing experience, typically by either being super light and charming or having a palpable, real-world darkness for the characters to overcome, or even just having the main character(s) travel and see the world. Examples include Usagi Drop, Haibane Renmei, Non Non Biyori, and Mushishi.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Jun 13, 2016 6:56 AM

Feb 2013
deja vu anyone?
i swear i've seen the same thread and first reply
Jun 13, 2016 7:41 AM
Mar 2016
Zelkiiro said:
A slice-of-life anime revolves around us exploring the daily lives of our main characters. This can include anything from watching a group of high-schoolers go about their high-school routine, to following a group of people in the afterlife coming to terms with their own deaths. There can be a plot in these types of shows, but it's not the central focus--the central focus is the minutia of these characters' lives, and their interactions with one another. There are three distinct categories of slice-of-life:

Vanilla: This is basically exactly what I just described. Examples include Azumanga Daioh, Bakuman, NANA, and Angel Beats.

Cute Girls Doing Cute Things: Just like it says on the tin, this type of show follows a group of girls as they spend their time doing things which can be construed as being cute. Examples include K-On!, Sansha Sanyou, Aria the Animation, and Girls und Panzer.

Iyashikei: Japanese for 'healing,' this type of slice-of-life show focuses on giving the viewer a relaxing or, well, healing experience, typically by either being super light and charming or having a palpable, real-world darkness for the characters to overcome, or even just having the main character(s) travel and see the world. Examples include Usagi Drop, Haibane Renmei, Non Non Biyori, and Mushishi.

Okay, thank you!
I kind of understand it now.
Jun 13, 2016 9:06 AM

May 2016
kamisama751 said:
Zelkiiro said:

Isn't Azumanga Daioh actually CGDCT?

Not necessarily--the girls aren't specifically dolled-up to be cute, per se, and the show is a wee bit too mean-spirited with some of its jokes to really be comfortable in that genre. I don't think Sawako smacking Tsumugi upside the head repeatedly with two cafeteria trays would've sat well in K-On!...

Sep 23, 2016 10:35 AM

Mar 2014
reminds me of a calm pace animate type you would want to watch after a long day or etc
"You can't spell slaughter without laughter".
Sep 23, 2016 12:53 PM

Apr 2016
Zelkiiro said:

Well I guess anything is a slice of life then
Sep 23, 2016 1:10 PM

Jul 2014

Short and Savage.

From my understanding, a slice of life showcases the main character's everyday life, and doesn't go out of its way to explain any extravagant plot. It relies on slow character development that seeps into the audience after knowing these character for a long period of time.
Sep 23, 2016 6:02 PM

May 2016
UnpopularAnime said:
Zelkiiro said:

Well I guess anything is a slice of life then

The tell-tale sign of a slice-of-life anime is the lack of a dominant, ongoing plot. If each episode advances some kind of Event A leads to Event B which causes Event C chain of incidents, then it's a plot-driven series and not a slice-of-life.

Sep 23, 2016 7:05 PM

Nov 2008
Zelkiiro said:
kamisama751 said:

Not necessarily--the girls aren't specifically dolled-up to be cute, per se, and the show is a wee bit too mean-spirited with some of its jokes to really be comfortable in that genre.

Mean-spirited..................

Oh, you mean like this? :D

Sep 23, 2016 7:11 PM

May 2016
Chiibi said:
Mean-spirited..................

Oh, you mean like this? :D

This is one of my favorites, right here:

Dat final scene doe...

Sep 23, 2016 7:13 PM
Sep 29, 2016 12:08 PM

Sep 2016
Zelkiiro said:
kamisama751 said:

Not necessarily--the girls aren't specifically dolled-up to be cute, per se, and the show is a wee bit too mean-spirited with some of its jokes to really be comfortable in that genre. I don't think Sawako smacking Tsumugi upside the head repeatedly with two cafeteria trays would've sat well in K-On!...

True, there is this:

but there's also this...

Your point stands ;)
Sep 29, 2016 1:43 PM

Feb 2015
kamisama751 said:
_Ako_ said:

Why do I sense a great amount of irony in that?

What irony?( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ʖ ͡°)ʖ ͡°)ʖ ͡°)ʖ ͡°)ʖ ͡°)ʖ ͡°)ʖ ͡°)ʖ ͡°)ʖ ͡°)

The irony that some SoL should added a Slice of unrealisticlife... But... Well, it does portray "life" in a sense...
Sep 29, 2016 7:35 PM

Mar 2015
Try this SoL anime, OP. If you watch this, I think there's no need for us to explain what SoL really is~

More topics from this board

» What do you wish to see ??

Lion_Sin - 7 hours ago

22 by Zarutaku »»
3 minutes ago

» Would you allow an anime robot resembling an attractive human female to take your virginity?

TsutanaiFuun - 6 hours ago

29 by Coaghim »»
9 minutes ago

» What does it even mean when people say Ecchi needs to be done tastefully?

Dragevard - 3 hours ago

13 by Spiralore »»
11 minutes ago

» Characters born on the same day/month as you ?

Yonahim_Zz - 3 hours ago

15 by Coaghim »»
12 minutes ago

» What are some anime moments that made you kiss the screen?

Catalano - 3 hours ago

16 by tchitchouan »»
49 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.